Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

David tennant vs. Matt Smith

rangerofalinos

[22]Jun 18, 2010
    • level: 4
    probably tennant but then they need to give smith something to work with hopefully the finale of this season will do that but so far to me hes episodes just havent been up to snuff and the episodes that have been good were the ones that focused on the other charachters although with river coming back it could be the same for the finale as well
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kompongwho

[23]Jun 18, 2010
    • level: 4
    Smith really nailed it in The Lodger. For me, Tennant's best acting performance as the Doctor came in Human Nature/FoB when he had to play a human. He did that brilliantly. But as the Doctor he never came across as alien. Smith's attempt to pass himself as an average human last week was absolutely hilarious - he played it to perfection. He is by far the most quirky (Dreamlord), weird (Craig), alien Doctor we've ever had in 47 years.

sajwest

[24]Jun 19, 2010
    • level: 23

David Tennant is my Doctor, and always will be. But out of the three I've watched, Matt Smith comes a VERY close second. His hyperness and eagerness are reminicent of 10, but he also brings his own sense of quirkiness to it as well. So Tennant, with Smith a couple of steps behind.

LittleHobbit13

[25]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 17

Tennant, definitely. Partly because he was my first Doctor, but also because a) I liked his shennanigans, b) he got to have Donna as his companion/best friend, and c) they wrote in really good character depth for him periodically throughout his tenure as the Doctor.

scottjoc wrote:
    Smith is nowhere near as good as tennant, actually smith is pretty boring, it feels like he is never really actively doing anything.

Actually, I was going to comment on that somewhat. I don't think it's so much that Matt Smith is "boring" like you say. If you watch Matt Smith's performance (not "Smith as the Doctor" but "Smith acting and adding to the role") then you can tell that he really does have what it takes to be a fantastic Doctor. My issue is with the writers on this one. They're still writing the role very much as the 10th Doctor. They haven't quite separated and fleshed out their own 11th Doctor writing style.

shadowspy24

[26]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 11
    From a companion point of view, I would feel much safer with Tennant than I would with Smith, cos Tennant seemed to know what he was doing much more than Smith.

From a viewer point of view Matt Smith is doing a great job, he acting is really belivable and he may surpass Tennant one day.

dragon22a

[27]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 32
    Tennants Doctor was more human and cared more for his companions. Smith is more outwardly alien and almost confused by human things like romance. He is more willing to put his companions in danger and snaps at them more often. He is almost similar to the first doctor in that. Tenant is still my favorite but Smith just behind him. He is a different being and really brings the idea that the Doctor is different every time to the forefront because he is far different than tenants

starfire2_2

[28]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 12
    Well I can't say I have a favrit so far. They are both good but since I can't forget 9 let's start there.

Eccleston - I loved him as 9 and to re-interduce the world to Doctor Who he did a fablus jub. I wish he had stayed on another season because if he had then I don't think that this would have been just a DT or MS qustion.

Tennant - He played the roal verry emotionaly and wether that was just the writing or his acting, I don't know. A large part of me wants to say DT is my favrit but I just can't seem to do it. I think the reason why most of us would Pick DT is because he played the part so long and that dose infulance us. Give MS another year or two and I think you'll find the choise a lot harder.

Don't get me wrong I loved DT and hope to see him back as at least the human Doctor in the near futcher. But still the qustion reames. Was it what he brought to the roal or just how long he played the part that makes us love him.

Smith - Has did a fablus job as the Doctor and as I sad eiler if you give him another year or two I think you'll find it had to say witch you liked better. In mt opion MS nailed it in the two parter The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood. Out of the three actors he portrays the tired old man the best. Without CE anget and with out DT hights and lows.

In the end I love all three. Because they all brought something new to the part. But if I relly had to chuse one then for now it be DT.

jwgrlrrajn

[29]Oct 17, 2010
    It's an excellent question. I like them both, but for different reasons.

I like Tennant's Doctor because he had a really epic feel to him, and I loved those random outbursts that he would practically scream at the top of his lungs. (AAUUGH, JUDOON ARE THICK!!!)

On the other hand, I like Smith's Doctor because he's more decidedly alien and quirky. However, it took Tennant's Doctor some time to get that epic feel, so given enough time, maybe Smith's Doctor will get it too.

archangelwho

[30]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 18

Tennant was a step up and Smith has been a great next Doctor. Tennamt & Smith together may the the best two Doctor run.

Sugar2U

[31]Oct 18, 2010
    • level: 9

I liked David better.. However that first scene with Matt Smith and the little girl Ami was priceless. I laugh and laugh when I think of the scene. BUT since then I find the doctor still is trying to remember who he is. Like someone else said David's DR seemed alot more in control. AND yes that could be the writing but it is what it is. I wish they would bring Rose and the One hearted DR back for an episode. I want to see what happened to the duplicate and Rose.

minisin

[32]Oct 19, 2010
    • level: 14
    Sugar2U wrote:
    more in control. AND yes that could be the writing but it is what it is. I wish they would bring Rose and the One hearted DR back for an episode. I want to see what happened to the duplicate and Rose.

No. Please no.

starfire2_2

[33]Oct 19, 2010
    Bring Rose Back

thetruesora

[34]Oct 19, 2010
    • level: 22

starfire2_2 wrote:
    Never Bring Rose Back unless it's to see her get murdered and her dead body cut by the human doctor
    Fix'd lol. Ok i'm just kidding but seriously they should NEVER EVER EVER bring back Rose.

jwgrlrrajn

[35]Oct 19, 2010
    Can we not act like children, please?

Liking a character = Good
    Not liking a character = Good

Rabid fanboy-ism = Bad
    Rabid hatedom = Bad

Rose is out of the picture. Let's just leave it at that.

starfire2_2

[36]Oct 19, 2010
    Your no fun. And I still want Rose back. So there.

OmegaForteGS

[37]Oct 20, 2010
    • level: 10
    Maybe ina the next big anniversary special, like the (not so) 5 Doctors. (eeing how it is techinically 4 Doctors, with Tom Baker stock footage) But not in a normal episode.

AllanHarvey1

[38]Oct 21, 2010
    • level: 7

I would have to say Tennant was my favoitrite. I liked his personallity and he was energetic. Matt smith is to boring to me he has no depth. tennant could have a angry side and i liked that about him. Smith hasn't really shown me that his angry side is even there. which = no depth in the charachter.

On the subject of Rose. I miss rose like crazy.. she will always be my favorite companion. But she should never come back Rose was Tennants and they belonged together even if it was his crazy half human clone thingy.

bluecatcinema

[39]Oct 22, 2010
    • level: 61
    AllanHarvey1 wrote:

Smith hasn't really shown me that his angry side is even there.

Smith hasn't shown his angry side? Have you even seen "The Beast Below", or "Victory of the Daleks"?

AllanHarvey1

[40]Oct 23, 2010
    • level: 7

Well ya i guess i miss phrased what i ment was that his angry side is just really plain Tennants character had more sides to him and was more entertaining to me i guess