Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Doctor Who movie

chaos_789

[1]Nov 15, 2011
    • level: 2
    There is a Doctor Who movie in the works, they say it's not going to tie in with the tv show. So we may not see Matt Smith, They could use it to introduce a new doctor for the series though. but not much is known about it, however it will be good to see the doctor on the big screen.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Samuel2484

[2]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 16

I think this is the worst thing to happen since the release of The Phantom Menace. It's being turned into a "Hollywood blockbuster", it won't tie into the TV series that is running at the moment - What the hell? This is clearly just an excuse for money. If they were serious about this they would seriously consider tying this into the current series.

Which means there's going to technically be a new doctor? Whhhhyyyy?

Matt Smith is amazing and the characters just work in today's Doctor Who BBC series. All I can see is this film disappointing fans. And Oh My God that means there's technically going to be a 12th Doctor in this film and we're going to have to count him in with the other Doctors. You never know this Doctor could be fantastic but my point is they only just brought Matt Smith in over a year ago, let someone stick around for a while.

Also for the first time that means this is going to create a seperate storyline from the current series. The point of the current series was that it was a CONTINUATION of the story of the doctor. Now people will annoyingly have to stories to follow. and what if this gets picked up for a sequel or a threequel?

Unless I hear good things about this film I will still seriously consider not watching this movie just so that it doesn't ruin Doctor Who for me.

I'm not even that huge a fan but I just KNOW this is going to disappoint.

thetruesora

[3]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 22
    only thing that would work as a movie is all about the time war ending with Paul Mcgann regenerating. Saying this, I know I will end up seeing it eventually because I REALLY love this show.

steamheaduk

[4]Nov 17, 2011
    • level: 19
    I'm with you on the Time War, but definitely NOT on it ending with him regenerating.

The great position McGann is in at the moment is that we don't know how old he looked when he finally regenerated, which leaves it open for him to reprise the role however old he looks.

Equally if he regenerates at the end that means if there IS enough interest for a sequel movie, no McGann and unless they decide to incorporate the Scream of Shalka, a recast Doctor, given it's unlikely Eccleston would do it.

haldrey

[5]Nov 17, 2011
    I am a longtime fan of Doctor Who but a full 2hrs or more of Doctor Who might be too much, one can end up in the nut house.

chaos_789

[6]Nov 17, 2011
    • level: 2
    I also hear that the director or someone from the harry potter movies, is the one who's making this one.

I do agree with your posts, doctor who is one of my favorite shows, which is because of the doctor, so I will be seeing this one, I just hope they get the doctor right, he of course is the best character on the show I find.

I do hope, though, even though it does not tie into the show, that they could ask Matt to play him, since it doesn't tie into the show, they could make it tie in somewhere between the 11th's time, I know Matt smith would take it, he said in a more recent interview that he loves playing the doctor, and he does not plan on leaving anytime soon. Even though they will probly choose a new doctor, like someone said, we will get the 12th doctor before the 11th's end.

dragon22a

[7]Nov 18, 2011
    • level: 32

I could see the draw of making a movie. The franchise is huge right now and many people want to cash in on that. But what these people do not understand is that one of the main reasons the show is so popular is its history, its legacy. Fans from the original and the new series are passionate and loyal. So to create a movie and abandon nearly 50 years of history is an insult. They may claim that it will bring new fans to the series, it may also tend to confuse people.

Star Trek did a reboot recently because many believed the franchise had his a wall. Maybe they were wrong and maybe they were right. However, J.J. Abrams did something interesting when rebooting the series by keeping the original universe alive and using the original Spock as a foundation for the new timeline. He opened the door for a new series of movies with new fans while at the same time giving respect tofans of the original one.

There does not seem to be anything of that kind here. For one thing, the series is still going strong and even Matt Smith has said that he is stayinf for the time being. To make a movie within the near future while the series is stillrunning is a risk tothe franchise.The concept of regeneration sometimes causes trouble for new viewers as it is. To add a new doctor which is not truely part of the series is confusing to the viewer and a danger to the future of the series.

Other franchises have done this before, creating a movie based on a property that is separate from the ones currently shown in other media. Superman has done this as has Batman. But the difference between those properties and Doctor Who that makes the biggest difference is that Superman and Batman have had numerous reboots in the past which further cement that they are separate tellings. Doctor Who has never been rebooted in 50 years, only continued. Even Scream of the Shalka was a continuation when the new series had not yet been created.

Leave Doctor Who alone or set the movie in continuity. Make the 50th anniversary a movie event or use a storyline with Paul McGann. While the Time War may mean no sequels, McGann's tenure as the Doctor can go anywhere. They could adapt one of the novel or audio storylines to a movie or create a totally new story. Not only would this appease the fans, but it would also be a chance for McGann, who has only appeared once on screen as the Doctor, to have his time.

annpo

[8]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 13
    I think it's a terrible idea! Movies of TV shows are invariably awful, or at least big disappointments. As for a movie that won't even tie in with the show. What on earth is the point?

...as for it being a medium for introducing a new doctor. Another terrible idea. We're not finished with Matt Smith yet - not by half. He's a ton of fun - a great doctor.

Absolutely and unequivocally NO - whomever got the idea of making a movie should go back on their meds, and leave well enough alone.

archangelwho

[9]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 18

As much as I would like to see Doctor Who grow and would like to see some of the history cleared up, the Time War, the Doctor's younger life, family I just don't have a good feeling. My fear is that we will end up with two Doctors (the TV one, the movie one) and not sure which story goes where. Talk about atime loop!

Samuel2484

[10]Nov 20, 2011

archangelwho wrote:

As much as I would like to see Doctor Who grow and would like to see some of the history cleared up, the Time War, the Doctor's younger life, family I just don't have a good feeling. My fear is that we will end up with two Doctors (the TV one, the movie one) and not sure which story goes where. Talk about atime loop!

Exactly I think it will mess things up with storylines and what if they start turning those movies with the other Doctor into a US version of the show. Doctor Who IS British, that's what it's about, it's a British Police Box. However if they use a British actor to interact with a US environment that would make more sense.

And actually we don't know if it's going to be a particularly American take on Doctor Who, just when I hear Hollywood blockbuster, that instantly sounds like it to me.

And that thing about 2 Doctors at the same time, I agree 100%. Matt Smith is great at the moment and we want him to be the ONLY Doctor for a while, we've seen three different Doctors since 2005 (all by the way were and are brilliant) and sometimes we want one to still around for a bit, introducing another actor as the Doctor first of all we're going to have to count this new doctor in the "12" Doctors history book, he will always be one of the incarnations of the Doctor we can't deny that, we will HAVE to acknowledge his existence even though he isn't related to the current version of the show. You never know he could be great but still he will always be one of the Doctors. Also having 2 Doctors at the same time in the franchise will make things confusing and also...

I'm worried that Matt Smith will end his role as the Doctor when news starts coming in about "WHO is better?" after the film. I think he won't
    want to get into any uncomfortable situation with this new Doctor and will quit, but that's just my opinion

I just don't see any good coming from this other than it will attract a few more people, get more fans of the show, maybe get a sequel or god forbid a threequel, will shoot this new doctor into super-stardom and make sh!t loads of money. Because lets face it, that's what this is all about MONEY.

thetruesora

[11]Nov 22, 2011
    I said ending it with 8's regeneration into 9 as then they wouldn't have another movie. The movie he appeared in was meant to set up for an american series. That series was then apparently going to be about The Doctor and The master being brothers and searching for their father. A movie with no connection to the series doesn't work and if they do have it connected to the series it means another one of the doctor's lives used up quickly. my point being it's not really going to work.

jwgrlrrajn

[12]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 23
    You know, if the movie ends up sucking, all Moffat has to do is have the real Doctor walk by the movie poster after coming out of a theater, and make him say, "Well... That was rubbish."

archangelwho

[13]Nov 23, 2011

Samuel2484 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

Exactly I think it will mess things up with storylines and what if they start turning those movies with the other Doctor into a US version of the show. Doctor Who IS British, that's what it's about, it's a British Police Box. However if they use a British actor to interact with a US environment that would make more sense.

And actually we don't know if it's going to be a particularly American take on Doctor Who, just when I hear Hollywood blockbuster, that instantly sounds like it to me.

And that thing about 2 Doctors at the same time, I agree 100%. Matt Smith is great at the moment and we want him to be the ONLY Doctor for a while, we've seen three different Doctors since 2005 (all by the way were and are brilliant) and sometimes we want one to still around for a bit, introducing another actor as the Doctor first of all we're going to have to count this new doctor in the "12" Doctors history book, he will always be one of the incarnations of the Doctor we can't deny that, we will HAVE to acknowledge his existence even though he isn't related to the current version of the show. You never know he could be great but still he will always be one of the Doctors. Also having 2 Doctors at the same time in the franchise will make things confusing and also...

I'm worried that Matt Smith will end his role as the Doctor when news starts coming in about "WHO is better?" after the film. I think he won't
    want to get into any uncomfortable situation with this new Doctor and will quit, but that's just my opinion

I just don't see any good coming from this other than it will attract a few more people, get more fans of the show, maybe get a sequel or god forbid a threequel, will shoot this new doctor into super-stardom and make sh!t loads of money. Because lets face it, that's what this is all about MONEY.

Very well put.

archangelwho

[14]Nov 23, 2011

thetruesora wrote:
    I said ending it with 8's regeneration into 9 as then they wouldn't have another movie. The movie he appeared in was meant to set up for an american series. That series was then apparently going to be about The Doctor and The master being brothers and searching for their father. A movie with no connection to the series doesn't work and if they do have it connected to the series it means another one of the doctor's lives used up quickly. my point being it's not really going to work.

I would be more happy with a past Doctor than a future or current one. 8 would be my first choice because I don't feel he was ever given a chance but any from 4-10 would. Real fans and new fans would get over the ageing of the actors. They could even play out some of thestorylines they was never addressed on TV.

dragon22a

[15]Nov 23, 2011
    archangelwho wrote:

thetruesora wrote:

I would be more happy with a past Doctor than a future or current one. 8 would be my first choice because I don't feel he was ever given a chance but any from 4-10 would. Real fans and new fans would get over the ageing of the actors. They could even play out some of thestorylines they was never addressed on TV.

Sylvester McCoys Doctor could also be good for a movie. While he had a good amount of television serials, there are years not accounted for outside of the books. I would still rather see a series of 8th doctor movies. Though that may be better suited as made for TV movies. This director is from Harry Potter so chances are the film would be well made but it is continuity that is really the concern. One of the best things that an 8th Doctor movie is the return of his Console Room. I was always a fan of the large gothic look.

archangelwho

[16]Nov 24, 2011

[/QUOTE] Sylvester McCoys Doctor could also be good for a movie. While he had a good amount of television serials, there are years not accounted for outside of the books. I would still rather see a series of 8th doctor movies. Though that may be better suited as made for TV movies. This director is from Harry Potter so chances are the film would be well made but it is continuity that is really the concern. One of the best things that an 8th Doctor movie is the return of his Console Room. I was always a fan of the large gothic look. [/QUOTE]

I like the idea of McCoy. Would also like to see C. Baker get another chance. But using these as a what could have been may not work well. I do believe that if these are going to be a run of stories that a made for TV format would be better.

Samuel2484

[17]Nov 26, 2011

I'm also worried that once this film is out and has done well in making it to the Hollywood Blockbuster credibility, it will get its own spin off TV series - A.K.A Doctor Who US. No one wants that, it wouldn't even work with a British Police Box. I hope they don't go as far as making it into a US Series

jwgrlrrajn

[18]Nov 27, 2011
    • level: 23
    I wouldn't mind a U.S. based series. I probably wouldn't like it as much as the original, but it's always interesting to see a different take on things.

That said, it's still very easy to use the police box design. Have the design be different in the first episode, then the Doctor and Co. can go back to a time when they'd want to disguise the TARDIS as a police box; and BANG, the chameleon chip gets stuck.

dragon22a

[19]Nov 27, 2011

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    I wouldn't mind a U.S. based series. I probably wouldn't like it as much as the original, but it's always interesting to see a different take on things. That said, it's still very easy to use the police box design. Have the design be different in the first episode, then the Doctor and Co. can go back to a time when they'd want to disguise the TARDIS as a police box; and BANG, the chameleon chip gets stuck.

Lets face it, US adaptions of British Series are usually failures. For every Office there is something like Coupling or Life On Mars. Even Free Agents which was a decent show, failed. I don't want to see the series go that direction. The only place where it may work is on SyFy where the American Being Human has worked rather well. But I would rather see a joint effort like they did with Torchwood so The current Doctor or previous doctors could appear on American television. Rather than a series I still think TV movies would be adequate.

thetruesora

[20]Dec 2, 2011

So now we have this.