Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Half human?

aquacandyman

[1]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 5

As some may know, in the 1996 movie, the doctor became half human because of his opperation.

Is this half human thing gonna be explained in the new series? becuase as far as I know, it hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm hoping the writers have scraped that idea because it is to be fair a bit rubbish!

anybody know?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

princessFirefly

[2]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 4
    fans think that he only meant that one regeneration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctor_%28Doctor_Who%29
    it's all about the doctor, it might clear a few things up

kimmydimmy

[3]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 3

I imagine that the writers have casually (and conveniently) forgotten this. I suppose the writers think that if the Doctor was half human it would make him less exciting. If anything, it opens up a whole raft of story arcs.

Most people don't even remember that Paul McGann was ever the Doctor. The movie wasn't great but it wasn't as bad as most people made it out to be.  Paul McGann's great as the Radio Doctor Who!

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that being a Doctor Who fan at that time was considered to be a bit SAD and NERDY.  I prefer to think of myself as being an early pioneer!

whovion1

[4]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 2
    This storyline about the Doctor being half human was not due to an operation, it was a hint from the Master that the Doctor's Mother was human & his father was a Timelord. Like spock from Star Trek.

princessFirefly

[5]Apr 9, 2007
    "Perhaps the most controversial element from the 1996 television movie was the revelation that the Doctor is half-human ("on [his] mother's side"). One possibility is that the Doctor was speaking metaphorically — or, perhaps, joking. However, the Doctor's half-human nature is used to explain how he can access the Eye of Harmony, which in the movie requires a human eye, and is mentioned by the Master. Another possibility is that only the Eighth Doctor was half-human due to the particularly traumatic circumstances of his regeneration, rather than the Doctor having been half-human all along; this theory would also require the Doctor to have been joking about his mother."-wikipedia

dacchic1

[6]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 3

I think this was sort-of covered during a bit of dialogue in "The Runaway Bride."  It comes toward the beginning of the episode; Donna has opened the TARDIS doors and is looking into space.  She and the Doctor have a quick exchange about her being human:

Donna:  Is that an option

Doctor:  It is for me...

Now, take the lines as you want, but it could be interpreted that the Doctor was half-human during the 8th regeneration by choice. (Although when did he make the choice since Grace killed him on the operating table and he regenerated in the morgue?)

nhubi

[7]Apr 9, 2007
    • level: 48
    I've never been sure exactly what the writers were trying for with that little 'revelation'. It has always felt wrong to me. Apart from the fact that The Doctor was of a family that enabled him to become President of Gallifrey at one tme, hardly the sort of thing that the Time Lords would give to a half-breed. I know that's a politically incorrect term, but the Time Lords by-an-large were (are?) an elitist bunch, I don't see them handing over power to someone from a 'lesser' race. I think it was just a plot device that should be ignored, I don't think it will ever be explored. Still looking at the synopsis for Human Nature/Family of Blood, who knows?

aquacandyman

[8]Apr 10, 2007
    He has become president of Gallifrey in the Original series when he was in his fifth body after the five doctors.  But then wasnt again in Colin Baker's Trial of a Timelord. So i have no idea about the doctor being half human. it confuses me so much!

steamheaduk

[9]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 19

There are so many things in THAT MOVIE that just don't make any sense either to the plot of the movie, or Doctor Who in general, I've given up trying to understand.

For example, how did the Eye of Harmony, power source to the entire Timelord race end up in the Doctor's TARDIS.  Admitedly given the dimensional technology of the Timelords it could be in every TARDIS and on Galifrey at the same time, but that's never been discussed onscreen.

Equally, why an Earth would something in the TARDIS require a Human Eye to open it, makes no sense, even if The Doctor is half human he'd have a half human eye.  The only reason was a weak plot driver to give the assistants some part in the finale act that needed them alive - not well thought out and it doesn't even bear examination in the scope of the movie, nevermind the series.

And finally the Half Human bit.  To be honest in the 700ish episodes that preceded the movie I can't recall anything that would indicate the Doctor couldn't be half-human, but nothing that suggested he was either.  It would explain his fondness for Earth BUT you would imagine given the VERY different biology, that a human timelord hybird wouldn't be possible, and if it was more than likely infertile, and we know he's had offspring.

The reasoning behind it has never been explained, and personally I just like to forget about all the anomalies in the movie, but not ignore it e.g. we went over 20 years without discussing that he was half human and it made no difference to the plot, let's carry on that way, ignore it but not contradict it without a good explanation.

03ck01

[10]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 8
    I heard in episode 9 the doctor becomes human and gets married but thats not actually the doctor himself.So thats when he most likely be mensioned.

OrigamiCat

[12]Apr 10, 2007
    thank you, the eye of harmony things been bugging me too.
    Had Paul Mcgann been given time i imagine hed have a nice doctor character of his own, as he makes on the radio shows, but the film...
    they take elements rather random from all the drs
    ie velvet suit
    jelly babies
    etc

5h4rp13

[13]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 10
    LMH68 wrote:
    03ck01 wrote:
    (deleted - Stuff I didn't know about episode 9)

I hope this is speculation but I'm guessing not

And I had done so well staying out of threads about episodes not yet shown.

i think ur good, that doesnt sound like something RTD would logically do, it sounds kinda random actually

aquacandyman

[14]Apr 10, 2007
    To be fair, i think Paul McGann would have made an excellent Doctor to start of the new series other than Eccleston who only did the role for one season. McGann went on to play the role of the Doctor for a good 8 years after the movie and if the BBC actually brought back Doctor Who earlier like they were supposed to, (there was supposed to be a series after the movie starring McGann) then I think the movie would make more sense and we could have seen McGann's doctor progress.

nhubi

[15]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 48
    Good idea Steam, hell I can and have been ignoring plot holes and contradictions in shows for years, I see no reason to stop now. Although one of your other points gave a me a weird mental image of The Doctor as a mule, ala Francis, bizarre!

steamheaduk

[16]Apr 11, 2007

nhubi wrote:
    Good idea Steam, hell I can and have been ignoring plot holes and contradictions in shows for years, I see no reason to stop now. Although one of your other points gave a me a weird mental image of The Doctor as a mule, ala Francis, bizarre!

Oddly enough I thought about talking about horses and donkeys, but decided on balance not to introduce that imagery  

majken1974

[17]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 21
    i just watched the movie, and i think it was a joke him being half human, but in this universe you never really know. and as for the critic of the movie, i think that it would have been great had i not seen anything else in the series, but if you know doctor who, its just weird, to many contradictions

steamheaduk

[18]Apr 12, 2007

majken1974 wrote:
    i just watched the movie, and i think it was a joke him being half human, but in this universe you never really know. and as for the critic of the movie, i think that it would have been great had i not seen anything else in the series, but if you know doctor who, its just weird, to many contradictions

Yes aside from Eric Roberts over arching The Master and a few little plot devices that don't bear examination (like why would a non-human device need a human eye to open it) it wasn't a bad film.  The other acting was good, the production values were great, the stunts, effects, scenery and props were good, so as a standalone it was OK, as an episode of Doctor Who it went very wrong at the end. 

OrigamiCat

[19]Apr 12, 2007
    my dad has it on dvd he thinks its great

cringe cringe shudder

lol

princessFirefly

[20]Apr 12, 2007
    i still haven't seen the movie & i really want to, but i just can't find it