Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

How many companions have died?

SlidingKat

[1]May 8, 2008
    • level: 5

How many companions has the Doctor had? (Please provide names I'm new to this.)

How many have died?

If they didn't die why did they leave (i.e. was it voluntary)?

Thanks,

Katie

Edited on 05/08/2008 9:38am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Leongreat

[2]May 8, 2008
    • level: 3

How many companions has the Doctor had? 37 at last count. Check wikifor names (there are too many)

How many have died? 5

If they didn't die why did they leave (i.e. was it voluntary)? Most of them ere voluntary

steamheaduk

[3]May 8, 2008
    • level: 19

I guess some of this is also subjective, in how you classify someone as a companion or not.

For example, some class The Brigadier as NOT being a companion, since he didn't regularly travel in the TARDIS, despite the fact he was in every episode for two seasons straight, in most episodes for the next season and recurring after that, and he did eventually travel in the TARDIS in Mawdryn Undead. He's also the ONLY character to have appeared on screen with EVERY Doctor up to 7. Doctors 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 in their regular episodes. Doctor 1 and 1b in The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors, and Doctor 6 in Dimensions in Time.

Whereas Liz Shaw IS largely counted as a companion, despite the fact she was only in it for one season, during which the TARDIS was in pieces and the furthest it travelled was to a rubbish heap

You also have to be a little subjective as to what you count as Died. Do you mean Died permanently, or in the true spirit if Sci-Fi dieing and being resurrected later in some fashion.

And then there's Astrid which is a whole other question

Edited on 05/08/2008 9:58am

belial_77

[4]May 8, 2008
    • level: 17

Here's the Wiki link for a list... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companion_%28Doctor_Who%29

Companions who have died becomes a sticky matter... there are a few like Astrid that were only in one story, but fans consider "companions"...

in my opinion, to be a companion proper, the Doctor has to ask them to be his assistant or fellow traveler, and they have to agree... Liz was intially dismissed by the Doctor, but later he asked her to be his assistant... while the Brig, while being an important secondary character, was too independant and was never asked by the Doctor to become a companion.

anywho, the First Doctor had Sara kingdom and Katrina who had died in "Dalek's Master Plan"... the 5th had the most notable death, Adric (who had previously accompanied the 4th) died in the story "Earthshock" during an neferious plot by the Cybermen... Kamelion, a robotic companion for 2 stories (that he appeared in) was destroyed by the Doctor after falling under the control of the Master (long story)...

Other then those 4, most left under their own will, either to persue their own lives (like Jo Grant getting married to the hippy, Liz Shaw going back to school, Nyssa staying behind to help cure space-lepers, etc...)...

however a few have left randomly... the fist doctor's companio, Dodo, was simply forgoten behind after she had passed out in field ("the War Machines")... Sarah Jane was in the middle of fighting w/ the Doctor, threatening to leave, when he got a call from Gallifrey and he told her she couldn't come w/ him anymore... Tegan, tho she returned to the TARDIS a few stories later, was forgotten on the tarmac of Heathrow as the Doctor ran from the cops ("Timeflight")...

and in the new series, 9th Doctor's companion Adam Mitchell is the first companion to be kicked out for bad behaviour...

There are rumors flyin around concering the S4 finale that would make the 8th Doctor's companion Dr Grace Holloway, another perished companion... but that hasn't been confirmed as of yet.

Her be a picture of many companions:

btw, is it me or is that really bad pic of Liz?

steamheaduk

[5]May 8, 2008
    In Astrid's case it's double sticky, in that it's debatable she's a companion and debatable whether she actually died

Leongreat

[6]May 8, 2008
    • level: 3

Can you even call Grace Holloway a companion?

She never really went with the Doctor and still was just doing her job to find out more about the doctor

minisin

[7]May 8, 2008
    • level: 14
    If Adam is included, shouldnt Jackie be included in that picture?
    After all, she was in the TARDIS for one trip....

tjaman

[8]May 8, 2008
    • level: 32
    I think the Doc has hosted enough rescue missions (taking survivors from one place to another on an emergency basis) that one trip might not qualify her.

minisin

[9]May 8, 2008
    Well then Adam shouldnt be on there, he was one trip.
    AND he got kicked off. Astrid wasnt even a TARDIS trip....

SteveThornton

[10]May 8, 2008
    • level: 7
    Adam was kind of asked by The Doctor to go with him though, at least he agreed to it. Jackie was just accidently forgotten about when The Doctor wanted to follow a signal.. she was never asked to go with him, and she only really travelled a few miles. The Doctor asked Astrid to go with him, and they could of had many adventures together if it wasn't for her demise.

nhubi

[11]May 8, 2008
    • level: 48
    steamheaduk wrote:
    In Astrid's case it's double sticky, in that it's debatable she's a companion and debatable whether she actually died

Yeah I have trouble with her too, there is no doubt she would have been one if she lived, but her transmogrification into stardust put the kibosh on that. Still she may be back and then it will all be as clear as mud, like a few of these are. See I don't really consider Adam to be one, he was taken on in sufferance because Rose wanted it, and then rightfully dumped back home when he turned out to be a twit, he didn't even make the first hurdle.

Oh and that Liz shot, it's from Inferno, that's why she looks that way.

thetruesora

[12]May 9, 2008
    • level: 22
    Rose was the one that wanted adam to join them. The doctor reluctantly agreed.

shsteve

[13]May 9, 2008
    • level: 15

For me, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart is more of an old fashioned friend than a companion. A companion usually means someone younger than the Doctor, someone who he likes to show off to and teach when travelling with. He doesn't really do that with the Brig since he views him as a man of world weary standing.

As for Grace and Astrid, they were companion figures much like Donna was before she was a regular character. They filled the role of companion for their respective stories and so it make sense, even if they didn't do half the things most companions would do.

The_void_68

[14]May 10, 2008
    • level: 18

SteveThornton wrote:
    The Doctor asked Astrid to go with him, and they could of had many adventures together if it wasn't for her demise.

And the fact that, if she had been on the show for a whole series, I would have personally smashed her noggin in with a large trumpet.

SlidingKat

[15]May 10, 2008
    Thanks everyone, for all the answers.

To me 'died' would be in the sci-fi type. As in character is considered dead and being morned by fans, but may come back at a future time.

I consider a companion to be someone the Doctor asked to accompany him. So Astrid counts. However, 'rule' wise I'd say anyone he gave a key to.

Ravenite

[16]May 11, 2008
    • level: 6

That raises a couple of questions. Do both versions of Romana and K-9 (I know there's four K-9's, you know what I mean) count as seperate companions? Shouldn't they count as one (each)? And under the "Doctor has to invite them" criteria, does Mickey count, since he invited himself? Until we get definition of companion or assistant or whatever that we can all agree on a good few of these people (and things in a couple of cases) are suspect.

Edited on 05/11/2008 12:31pm

dragon22a

[17]May 12, 2008
    • level: 32

adrick is the one that really hit the doctor in his fifth life since he was very close to him, hell adrick was even close to learning how to pilot the tardis.

technically jack was a companion and died. he just didn't stay dead.

minisin

[18]May 12, 2008
    The Doctor had a robot companion who wasnt K9?
    Who?
    How?
    What?
    Why?
    When?
    Where?
    Which?!

SlidingKat

[19]May 12, 2008
    "technically jack was a companion and died. he just didn't stay dead."

Jack was given a key. So he is a companion.

I loved the expressions he was making when he had to take it off his key ring and give the key to the Doctor...before he realized the Doctor was going to give it back (3rd S finale).

Be Well,
    Katie

steamheaduk

[20]May 13, 2008

SlidingKat wrote:
    Jack was given a key. So he is a companion.

You see the given the key thing is a relatively modern thing, they make a much bigger deal of it in the new series than in the old. A lot of the companions in the old series were never explicitly given a key, or if they were it was for a one off use, not necessarily their own copy.