Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Is SyFy no longer airing Doctor Who in the USA? I can't find the new eps!

Johnny_Archer

[1]Jan 3, 2010
    • level: 9
    Are they maybe delayed a week in US vs airing on BBC(which I get in the USA but am not currently subscribed to).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[2]Jan 3, 2010
    • level: 32
    They were not airing the specials last I checked. I think it is because they could not justify clearing the schedule for just the specials but they may have chosen not to renew there deal with the BBC. They may yet schedule the new season back on fridays when Stargate Universe and Sanctuary are on hiatus But Syfy may be focusing on their original series more than before. Otherwise, BBC America is the only way to see them. Though the episodes are edited than what they are in England because of time and censorship even more so with Torchwood.

jekyll

[3]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 86
    The reason is simple: it never made much sense for the BBC to license it off to SciFi for premieres when they had BBC America here all along. I'm certain Torchwood becoming the network's highest rated airing ever (a record which these Doctor Who airings just took for themselves) had something to do with the decision.

steamheaduk

[4]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 19
    I must admit I did think it weird when Doctor Who resurfaced in 2005 that they spent a lot of time trying to find a network to put the show out on, rather than air it themselves, resulting in the new Doctor Who being a long way behind in the US. But things kind of make sense now.

I assume from other comments on this thread the BBC America is not necessarily a free to air channel? That being the case NuHu is quite different in scope of appeal to the original series in the US, which I believe tended to be cult low viewing. So if they put NuHu straight onto BBC America, chances are they wouldn't attract a lot of casual viewers to sign up to the channel based on it's previous appeal.

Sy-Fy (though Sci-Fi at the time) whilst still a niche type of subscription channel, does attract more viewers than the sort that would perhaps watch the old Tom Baker reruns on PBS. So getting NuHu on there gets access to a bigger audience, already targetted to the genre and helps build a reputation that the new show isn't the low budget version of old.

With the new reputation in place, and having tested the waters with Torchwood, BBC obviously now thinks it will make more money attracting new subscribers (or however it makes it's money in the US) than it could gain in a 3rd party broadcast deal with "US Premiere" rights attached. That doesn't mean Sy-Fy may be out of the picture entirely, but it may be getting NuHu later at a cheaper rate since BBC America has premiere rights now.

Princess_Pinky

[5]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 11

Well that explains a lot.

I get SyFy, but I don't get BBC America. (That's actually how I got into DW: because of a DW SyFy marathon.) And I know I saw commercials for the season finale, but when I tried to check TV Guide for when they'd be airing, literally ALL they had airing all day long was The Twilight Zone. I was so ticked off! I wonder how much more my cable bill will go up in order to get BBCA. I hate watching the episodes online.

Edited on 01/05/2010 1:04pm

S-Shield

[6]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 21
    Yeah, I got into it through SciFi. The only thing keeping me from going through the hassle of getting BBCAmerica put in is the idea that maybe SciFi will still show the new episodes, just at a later date. They still show reruns at like 6 in the morning if I'm not mistaken, and the show is still listed on their website, but with nothing about the Specials.

dragon22a

[7]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 32
    How much your bill goes up depends on your provider. May be cheaper to get the package that it is included in rather than just get it on its own. I have Time Warner Cable and one of the good things about it is that BBCA has an on demand channel so you can watch episodes of Doctor Who or Torchwood that you missed. But like I said, they are edited.

archangelwho

[8]Jan 16, 2010
    • level: 18
    It is on BBCAmerica