Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Mattpitt1991's Clubhouse (AKA General 'Who' Discussion)

TOCM19

[1001]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 14
    steamheaduk wrote:
    For those not fans of the "New Dalek Paradigm", I would suggest a visit to the Doctor Who Experience, as the walkthrough part of the experience gives some insights into what is probably planned to happen in the expanding storyling.

I'll say no more than that so as not to spoil the "experience"!

**Edit: Woo Hoo Post 1000 in the Club House **

Spoiler tag explanation for those that aren't visiting? Pretty Please? :-)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

steamheaduk

[1002]May 2, 2011
    • level: 19
    TOCM19 wrote:
    steamheaduk wrote:
    For those not fans of the "New Dalek Paradigm", I would suggest a visit to the Doctor Who Experience, as the walkthrough part of the experience gives some insights into what is probably planned to happen in the expanding storyling.

I'll say no more than that so as not to spoil the "experience"!

**Edit: Woo Hoo Post 1000 in the Club House **

Spoiler tag explanation for those that aren't visiting? Pretty Please? :-)

OK, during the walkthough experience, you find yourself walking into...

***SPOILER***

archangelwho

[1003]Jun 10, 2011
    • level: 18

A way toconnect the older fans with the younger fans would be to release the Rowan Atkinson The Curse ofFatal Death on DVD. Along with the extra that would come with the DVD (interviews with Atkinson and other case members, the other spoofs from the VHS, the making of) they could add many of the great spoofs that are out there on youtube and others places. Many of thses are not only funny but well done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35uYgSYXtfA&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYFy5-bFhxE&feature=relatedare just two of them that would make great DVD extra.

Nordan123

[1004]Jul 20, 2011
    • level: 6

Reducto wrote:
    I am just curious, how many of the fans here saw Doctor Who for the first time in 2005?

I did,well 2010 actually but I started with the Eccleston era.

And here are a couple of things I would have enjoyed that never happened:
    Would have loved a few more episodes with Tennant and his GI Jane daughter,and I don't understand why the writers didn't see the potential in that.
    "Lady Christina"(Michelle Ryan) would have made an excellent companion too instead of Miss Noble.

Nordan123

[1005]Jul 20, 2011

sistermt wrote:
    Does it say "Exterminate" when you press power off????

Or maybe it shouts "EXPLAIN?!"

_Islander_

[1006]Aug 30, 2011
    • level: 31
    Dunno how much anyone on here knows about Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, but with a huge amount of modding and the addition of custom tracks and scenery, it's possible to build just about any kind of ride system with the most immersive and believable themes out there.

So, I was very excited when a friend directed me towards Hethetheth's creation: The World of Doctor Who - Battle Across Time, a fully-immersive dark ride themed to our beloved Who Universe.

I'd highly recommend watching the video, even if you have zero interest in RCT3, theme parks or dark rides, as his work is just incredible.

Nordan123

[1007]Nov 15, 2011

Did they get in new writers/directors/whatever when Matt Smith became the doctor?

The reason I ask is when Eccleston/Tennant were doctors they basically went back in time,stayed in the present or went forward in time and fixed whatever was going on.

Now it's all about twisting time and events to the point that people spend more time debating weird time issues than contents of the episodes.

And what was the point of the doc faking his own death when he'll obviously keep on popping up all over the place at different times?

thetruesora

[1008]Nov 16, 2011
    • level: 22
    ^Yes The headwriter/producers changed abit. This was all over the news and is really well known.

faking his death: he has to let the Silence think they won until the big events on the "fields of Trenselor"

Nordan123

[1009]Nov 17, 2011

thetruesora wrote:
    ^Yes The headwriter/producers changed abit. This was all over the news and is really well known. faking his death: he has to let the Silence think they won until the big events on the "fields of Trenselor"

Thanks,it was not well known in Norway though.

I guess that explains his "death",big events sounds ominous!

thetruesora

[1010]Nov 22, 2011
    • level: 22
    It was explained in "The Wedding of River Song" why the Silence wanted him dead so he had to let them believe they had killed him. Him still appearing other times/places is easily just seen as a past version of him before going to Lake Silencio.

The production changes was why there was four specials (technically five since "The End of Time" was a 2-parter) in 2009 (and the second part on 1st January 2010) leading up to David Tennant's regeneration. It was also the end of Russell T Davis being in charge and so it included the Doctor visiting old companions just before he regenerates.

_Islander_

[1011]Sep 10, 2012
    • level: 31
    It's interesting to note that Moffat deleted his Twitter account some time on Saturday evening, presumably because of the amount of flaming he was receiving (he had recently tweeted "Forgive my ignorance, is there a way to limit who can follow you and Tweet you?”).

It would be interesting to know if this had got worse over time, or whether he'd just had enough of it. To be clear, I of course think that this is one of the downsides of Twitter, that morons think it's OK to flame people who are otherwise inaccessible. I'm just curious as to whether the number of morons has increased, as I'd expect them to be somewhat proportional to the number of sane, civilised people who dislike the Moffat era of Who.

PsyduckRanger

[1012]Sep 10, 2012
    • level: 20
    Hmm. His wife also tweeted that Twitter was proving a distraction. It is unfortunate.

archangelwho

[1013]Jun 8, 2013

Oct. 1977 The Brain of Morbius. Of couse without the internet and fan groups where I lived it took me awhile to get things in line. After a few years of Tom Baker the station in my area starting showing Pertwee and not from his first story. I thought Pertwee came after Baker and that they did like the soaps my mother watched where they just changes the actor. It was not until I found a book in the bookstore that covered the history of Doctor Who was I able to catch up. Today fans really have it much better when it comes to understanding the history and backgrounds of a TV show like Doctor Who.

steamheaduk

[1014]Jun 15, 2013

Though of course ironically, Brain Of Morbius is one of the few "classic Who" episodes that actually acknowledges and orders the earlier incarnations (and muddies the water a little), but of course in 1977, presumably without the aid of home recording, you had long forgotten the fleeting glimpse of Pertwee, Troughton, Hartnell (and members of the production team).

Like you say, back in the day, before internet and home recording, if you weren't lucky enough to watch it all "first run" it could be quite confusing.

archangelwho

[1015]Jun 16, 2013

steamheaduk wrote:

Though of course ironically, Brain Of Morbius is one of the few "classic Who" episodes that actually acknowledges and orders the earlier incarnations (and muddies the water a little), but of course in 1977, presumably without the aid of home recording, you had long forgotten the fleeting glimpse of Pertwee, Troughton, Hartnell (and members of the production team).

Like you say, back in the day, before internet and home recording, if you weren't lucky enough to watch it all "first run" it could be quite confusing.

I remember the faces but at the time I thought it was friends, family, and others in their lives. Later after I gotten the books I was not sure who the others was. My best guess was family, friends orenemies. I wonder if it is covered on the DVD? I will have to go back and check. It would be a great question for T. Dicks, he would most likely be the only one left who would know.

steamheaduk

[1016]Jun 18, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

steamheaduk wrote:

I remember the faces but at the time I thought it was friends, family, and others in their lives. Later after I gotten the books I was not sure who the others was. My best guess was family, friends orenemies. I wonder if it is covered on the DVD? I will have to go back and check. It would be a great question for T. Dicks, he would most likely be the only one left who would know.

It was originally, at the time of broadcast, intended to be earlier incarnations of the Doctor than the 4 we had seen on screen. It was never outright confirmed on screen, but the implication of Morbius having the Doctor "on the run" with the "how long have you lived?" question certainly implied the Doctor was being pushed back through earlier incarnations. Producer Phillip Hinchcliffe has stated that it was certainly his intention to imply these were Doctors earlier than Hartnell, but then next season Robert Holmes created the 12 regeneration rule so the "earlier Doctors" idea was never followed up, and indeed since then there have been episodes that confirm Hartnell as the first.

jwgrlrrajn

[1017]Jun 25, 2013
    • level: 23
    However, what with the new "Anti-Doctor" in play, those may actually be some of the Pre-Doctor incarnations that he just doesn't like to talk about anymore, and he had his 13 regeneration problem fixed a long time ago.

After all, if the Master has been able to have 17 incarnations, give or take, there's no reason why the Doctor shouldn't be able to.

steamheaduk

[1018]Jun 27, 2013

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    However, what with the new "Anti-Doctor" in play, those may actually be some of the Pre-Doctor incarnations that he just doesn't like to talk about anymore, and he had his 13 regeneration problem fixed a long time ago. After all, if the Master has been able to have 17 incarnations, give or take, there's no reason why the Doctor shouldn't be able to.

Absolutely no reason why not, but it's inconsistent and lazy writing if they establish a major limitation of a character and then "fix it" without addressing it on screen. The Master's fixes were all explained.

archangelwho

[1019]Jun 27, 2013

The Master was also a one time event given by the Timelords. The Time Lords are locked away and unless they return somehow I do not see how, within the history of the show, that the Doctor can get another set. Of course he could have gotten it during the Time War before he locked the Time Lords away but you would think that that would have already been addressed.

steamheaduk

[1020]Jun 28, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

The Master was also a one time event given by the Timelords. The Time Lords are locked away and unless they return somehow I do not see how, within the history of the show, that the Doctor can get another set.

The Master's most recent set was a one time event given by the Timelords, but his first post-13 regeneration was using the power of the Keeper of Traken to steal a body. So there are ways and means other than just a Timelord grant.

Also in Mawdryn Undead, which was the story that established that the number of regenerations was dictated by the amount of energy contained with the Timelord body, rather than some active external management by Timelords, this also established that this energy could be transferred with non-Timelord technology.

Then we have River, she got a full set of regenerations with no Timelords other than the Doctor known in the universe, and she isn't even a Timelord. So there is plenty of precedent that regeneration capability can be gained without Gallifrey.

archangelwho wrote:

Of course he could have gotten it during the Time War before he locked the Time Lords away but you would think that that would have already been addressed.

Not really, the Time War has been largely underplayed, he really doesn't like talking about it, so if it was addressed then, it's not a surprise we don't know about it yet. It's only likely to come up in conversation with someone that KNOWS there is a limit to regeneration anyway, and we went through 14 seasons of Doctor Who without hearing anything about a limit, it is only likely to come into discussion when it runs out, or is about to (as it did in the case of the Master).

It could also be that we HAVE heard about it, 11's flippant 504 remark in Sarah Jane Adventures we "assume" was jokingly exaggerated, but it could be in the last gasps of the Time War, remaining Time Lords were supercharged. The fact that 504 is much larger than normal wouldn't come up in conversation with Clyde as he was completely oblivious to the 12 limit in the first place.

The thing is, only NOW are we at the point where the Doctor can't regenerate any more (under the original 12 limit IF John Hurt is a previous incarnation), so it's sometime soon that we are likely to hear how it has been avoided.