Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

New Sonic Screwdriver?

mc31

[1]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 13

At the end of the first episode of series 5, the Doctor got a new screwdriver. Is this the same screwdriver David Tennant's Doctor was given by River Song in the Fourth series and if so, is this the time-line making a full-circle?

Edited on 04/12/2010 4:31am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

eaudra

[2]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 11

You should have watched to ep more closely. This time TARDIS kind of produces a new one for the Doctor

shadowspy24

[3]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 11
    How did it know the old one broke?

bluecatcinema

[4]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 61
    shadowspy24 wrote:
    How did it know the old one broke?

It has been stated several times that the Doctor and the TARDIS are "connected" in some way. The TARDIS probably sensed that the Screwdriver was destroyed, and got to work creating the new one.

steamheaduk

[5]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 19
    Yep there is a symbiotic link between TARDIS and Pilot. Proof of which is in The Christmas Invasion. Normally travellers in the TARDIS can understand any language due to the translation facility of the TARDIS, however Rose could not understand Sycorax without translation. Until of course the Doctor regained conciousness, and suddenly Rose heard the Sycorax speaking English.

TOCM19

[6]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 14
    mc31 wrote:

At the end of the first episode of series 5, the Doctor got a new screwdriver. Is this the same screwdriver David Tennant's Doctor was given by River Song in the Fourth series and if so, is this the time-line making a full-circle?

To answer the OP's question, No this new screwdriver is totally different, in SitL and FotD the screwdriver River had, looked like a modded (more advanced) version of Ten's screwdriver. I know it got broked as lots of people are saying, but that's not really that big of a deal, The Doctor lost his Screwdriver before, (I think in "Smith and Jones") at at the end of the episode he had a brand new one (only the same design as the old).

The plot wholey bit here is the fact that the screwdriver in question had "Red Settings" and River knew about them and their function, this knowladge can't be explained by offscreen escapades with Ten as we know when he regen'd he had his plain ol' blue-driver, so unless at some point point he swithces back to his old design and then upgrades, it's a tough one to explain away.

I think a good explination would be that, Ten took her the same screwdriver back (after giving it a service so that an eternal paradoxical wear and tear time loop doesn't occur) he could give her a brief outline of the "Red Settings" when he gives it to her and then go about his business entirely safe in the knowladge that he'll never have to go about the tricky business of intergrate a data ghost thingy in to his screwdriver cos some other version of him that now will never exist has already done it.

The End

thetruesora

[7]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 22
    Well it wouldn't be the first time the doctor has used an "ontological paradox". I'm pretty sure I read about the first doctor was able to save some people from the stable time loop they were in but only did so by using some items that he only got because of the events of the stable time loop which without it then the item wouldn't exist which mean they were stuck in the stable time loop.... and now i've probably caused a little bit of confusion there so my job is done for today XD

dragon22a

[8]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 32

The Doctor, the Tardis and the Sonic Screwdrivers have always been somehow connected to the Tardis or at least they are in the new series. The old ones never appeared to be. In Smith and Jones, the screwdriver used by the ninth doctor was destroyed but the doctor just replaced it with an identical one. This may mean that the Tardis produced a new one just like the old one.I believe that this may be because it came from the same console

If you look closely at the destroyed screwdriver from smith and jones (there is production art available) the shattered emitter looks like the time rotor of the old tardis and the body was very coral like (the original was even a bit pink before becoming the silver one). the newest screwdriver's emitter looks like the blown glass of the new time rotor and the body is much like the console. So the screwdriver is produced by the Tardis and the type depends on the console.

This may explain why the sonic screwdriver began to malfunction when the Doctor arrived at Amy's. You notice he has trouble unlocking the door before getting knocked out and having the screwdriver taken by prisoner zero.This could be because the console that produced that screwdriver was destroyed and the Tardis had begun to repair and switch to the new one. Because the console that produced it was gone, the screwdriver began to malfunction and eventually destroyed itself.

As for River Songs Screwdriver. It is possible that he simply gives her the same one that he got from her in the library. But it is also possible that he takes the remaining pieces of the screwdriver that was just destroyed and modifies it into the screwdriver that he gives her. it would explain why it looks like it was made from spare parts yet still had the body of the 10th doctors.

None of this explains how other people have gotten sonic devices over the seasons though. Captain jack had a sonic blaster that he got from a factory (which the doctor replaced with a banana grove) and how Miss Foster from Partners in Crime got her hands on a sonic pen that was even able to open dead lock seals.

steamheaduk

[9]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 19
    dragon22a wrote:

This may explain why the sonic screwdriver began to malfunction when the Doctor arrived at Amy's.

Or quite simply because some ten minutes earlier the Doctor had been in the library

And yes the Doctor does seem more connected in NuHu than the original, but it wasn't unheard of in the old. Both 3 and 4 seemed to be "close" to the TARDIS, and I have a nagging memory about "Telepathic curcuits" being mentioned in an episode, but can't place it right now.

MadamStacey

[11]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 2

No it isn't the same Sonic that River gave him, the TARDIS gives it to him so it's new. I liked the old Sonic better, it was slicker and nicer then the new one. I also liked the blue light instead of green but I guess it goes with the whole new Doctor look. New Doctor, new TARDIS design, new companion, so new Sonic.