Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Nightmare in Silver Question

beowulf579

[1]May 21, 2013
    • level: 59

Don't have hulu plus or anything so I can't recheck but during the episode the Doctor let his Metalman self have access to the past images of himself to talk about regeneration.

With the revelation of another Doctor in the past, I was wondering if he was present in the line up that was shown? It was so quick that I cannot recall. It would be the type of thing that Dr. Who is known for.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]May 21, 2013
    • level: 101
    No. If he isn't actually "the Doctor," he wouldn't be.

Nor was the Watcher, the transitional incarnation of the Doctor between his fourth and fifth incarnations.

beowulf579

[3]May 21, 2013
    Well, the topic was about regeneration and I just thoguht they might squeeze in a blip of the new doctor for the quick eye fan. No one would have really been looking for it at the time. It wouldn't have meant anything to the program trying to take him over.

Also, they did introduce the "new" guy as The Doctor right?

jwgrlrrajn

[4]May 21, 2013
    • level: 23
    Yes, but that was for our benefit, so we would know he was one of the Doctor's previous incarnations. However, 11th (and any other Doctors between him and the John Hurt Doctor), do not refer to him as such because he did something so horrible, he lost the right to be called "Doctor."

Gislef

[5]May 22, 2013
    • level: 101
    They not only don't refer to him as such, but they skip him in their personal regeneration numbering. I'd imagine they have some kind of telepathic block, and/or have sealed knowledge of his existence so far away in their minds, that he isn't readily apparent to anyone with telepathic abilities.
    Edited on 05/22/2013 7:53am

beowulf579

[6]May 22, 2013
    Gislef wrote:
    They not only don't refer to him as such, but they skip him in their personal regeneration numbering. I'd imagine they have some kind of telepathic block, and/or have sealed knowledge of his existence so far away in their minds, that he isn't readily apparent to anyone with telepathic abilities.

Well, there was a 2% (or something amount) of memory that the Doctor was preventing from his metalman self from aquiring. Maybe that knowledge was it.

It will be interesting how they work this out

TheOldBill

[7]Jun 4, 2013
    • level: 94

There has been much speculation about whether Hurt might be playing a pre-Hartnell Doctor, an aged version of McGann's Eighth Doctor, an incarnation between McGann and Eccleston, an iteration of the Valeyard, or an Infinity Doctor. All will become clear in November.

However, if you rewatch the sequence in "NiS" where the Doctor lets the cybercontroller access information about regenerations (18-and-a-half minutes in) with the benefit of having seen "TNotD", it plays very oddly odd indeed. We see the face of each known incarnation of the Doctor, from Hartnell to Tennant, each on a regular beat. Then there is a double-beat gap (in which we see a constellation in flames) between Tennant and Smith. If Hurt were playing some unknown incarnation of the Time Lord between the Eighth and Ninth, say, that the Doctor didn't like to talk about or share with the cybercontroller, a clever showrunner might have chosen to place a blank space or longeur between McGann and Eccleston. The fact that they chose to put a blink-and-you-still-don't-miss-it gap between Tennant and Smith seems significant, somehow.

beowulf579

[8]Jun 5, 2013
    Ah-ha..so there was something in that lineup. Thanks.

archangelwho

[9]Jun 17, 2013
    • level: 18

Only got to the part where the Doctor and kids returns and the Doctor just asked Clara to hit himbefore I had to pick the kids up. It look to me that these Cybermen are the ones from Mondas/Telos and not the ones from the parallel Earth.

archangelwho

[10]Jun 22, 2013
    • level: 18

It also seem to be the way the new team is closing the book on the Mondas Cybermen leaving only the parallel Earth ones left.

Edited on 06/22/2013 10:40am

jwgrlrrajn

[11]Jun 25, 2013
    • level: 23
    Why would the Mondas Cybermen by wiped out in favor of Cybus? Ever since Moffat took over, the Cybus Cybermen haven't been used once (even the one in The Pandorica Opens was Mondas, they just couldn't afford to update the costume at the time). The only reason to show the Cybus Cybermen again is for them to join with the Mondas or fight against them.