Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: Asylum of the Daleks (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Aug 26, 2012
    • level: 103
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 9/1/12 Series 7 premiere, "Asylum of the Daleks, to this thread.

Premiering on BBC and BBCAmerica the same date.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jwgrlrrajn

[2]Aug 27, 2012
    • level: 23
    First!

Can't wait for the new episode. It's been far too long. I wonder what the story significance of using every Dalek ever made is? (well, the ones they could get their hands on, anyway)

PsyduckRanger

[3]Aug 28, 2012
    • level: 20
    OH HEY WOW. So my laptop broke back at Easter and I got a new one, and I'll be honest, without this place on my favourites bar and no new episodes to discuss, I slightly forgot about it. BUT THEN I REMEMBERED.

Looking forward to it. Should be interesting. Also curious about the various old Daleks, and what exactly an asylum for Daleks would be, or why they'd need one...what are they being protected from, by whom?

bluecatcinema

[4]Aug 29, 2012
    • level: 61
    Can't wait. It's been too long since the last Dalek-centric story, and this one is written by the Moff himself, so it ought to be awesome!

minisin

[5]Aug 30, 2012
    • level: 14
    Apparently there is a big shock moment right after the credits (Which will be diffrent for each episode this year) that had viewers at the advance screening wondering 'How did they keep that one quiet?'.
    Over all I'm very excited, even more so knowing the New Dalek designs have had 'slight modifications' to their paint job making them look less garish.

angeleys151

[6]Aug 30, 2012
    • level: 6
    PsyduckRanger wrote:
    OH HEY WOW. So my laptop broke back at Easter and I got a new one, and I'll be honest, without this place on my favourites bar and no new episodes to discuss, I slightly forgot about it. BUT THEN I REMEMBERED.

Looking forward to it. Should be interesting. Also curious about the various old Daleks, and what exactly an asylum for Daleks would be, or why they'd need one...what are they being protected from, by whom?

Oh now, I took Asylum totally different, I thought asylum as in for the mentally disturbed, not the sanctuary kind

minisin

[7]Aug 31, 2012
    • level: 14
    angeleys151 wrote:

Oh now, I took Asylum totally different, I thought asylum as in for the mentally disturbed, not the sanctuary kind

Imagine being so mentally disturbed that the Daleks think you're mentally disturbed...

PsyduckRanger

[8]Aug 31, 2012

They've done that. His name was Dalek Caan. Part of the reason why I immediately went for the other option. Much more interesting to see Daleks scared and in need of protection from something. Perhaps now they're calling on the Doctor for help? That'd be interesting.

So guessing it's going to pick up where Pond Life leaves off
    ***SPOILER***

?

doctorWHO69

[9]Sep 1, 2012
    • level: 13

Clara.... Wasnt expecting to see her so soon.. interesting

doctorWHO69

[10]Sep 1, 2012

Hahahaha .. eggs? lol,

PsyduckRanger

[11]Sep 1, 2012
    It was ok. Average. Just another episode. Only two points of particular interest; first that the Daleks now no longer remember the Doctor, second that Oswin was played by Jenna-Louise Coleman, i.e. the new companion.

doctorWHO69

[12]Sep 1, 2012
    Thought Oswin was definitely the highlight of the episode. Could the Doctor have an intellectual peer at last?

_Islander_

[13]Sep 1, 2012
    • level: 31
    Well, it was a darn-sight better than some of the tat we've been getting in the last couple of series, that's for sure. Big step in the right direction!

Loved the Asylum, such a brilliant idea, and such brilliant sets. Massive shame that we've (supposedly) seen the last of that place. The story worked very well as well, though it did feel quite rushed at the end: "Egg... egg... ex... ter... min... ate..." would've been a brilliant cliff hanger, and from that point on it really felt like a case of "Dammit, we've run out of time, wrap the story up quickly!"

It's nice to see the Daleks back (I know that's a controversial view), all the Daleks, including some weird and wonderful stuff from 'Old Who'. Shame about the terrible Dalek/Human things, though. To me, they seemed almost Slitheen-like, and definitely as if they could have been one of RTD's less favourable creations.

Biggest downside of the episode: the Daleks now don't know the Doctor. Boo. Unless that can be undone (where's the RTD-Big-Red-Reset-Buttonâ„¢ when you need it?), that destroys the frankly awesome dynamic between the two iconic opposites of the series. Not at all impressed.

So, overall a good, solid episode, and like I say a big step back in the right direction, though with a few fairly major flaws. Ignoring them, here's hoping this series continues to improve (Oh, and Matt Smith is still bleedin' annoying...)

bluecatcinema

[14]Sep 1, 2012
    • level: 61
    Did anyone else spot some of the "classic" Daleks in the Asylum? I spotted the SWD right away. As for the ending, with the Daleks' knowledge of the Doctor being wiped... That may change if Davros ever returns...

doctorWHO69

[15]Sep 1, 2012

Having just starting a rewatch of the episode again, i noticed what could possibly be a very subtle clue as to the oncoming appearance of Oswin, just before we actually see her. When the Doctor is about to offer himself as sacrifice to the daleks in the parliament, he says, paraphrasing somewhat here, ''come on,it's christmas''. Now whether that was intentional or not, i thought it to be a very nice touch

theportal

[16]Sep 1, 2012
    • level: 26
    doctorWHO69 wrote:
    Thought Oswin was definitely the highlight of the episode. Could the Doctor have an intellectual peer at last?

Yeah, she was my favourite part too! I just hope she doesn't become a rip-off of River Song. I'm not talking about romantic ties to the Doctor... I'm talking about River's shtick where she died the first time she met the Doctor, which is exactly what happened to Oswin here. Hopefully this was REALLY the first time Oswin met him, otherwise she's a rip-off of River. In any case, she's a lot of fun. If they continue to write her well, then she should be great. If they let her standards slip, she could become annoying though. I really liked how the Doctor met the next companion while still travelling with Amy and Rory.

What did the Silence have to gain from making Amy infertile? What was the point of that?

The 'eggs' scene with Rory was great. For some reason, I actually didn't see it coming that it was trying to say "Exterminate!"...

dragon22a

[18]Sep 1, 2012
    • level: 32

theportal wrote:
    doctorWHO69 wrote:
    Yeah, she was my favourite part too! I just hope she doesn't become a rip-off of River Song. I'm not talking about romantic ties to the Doctor... I'm talking about River's shtick where she died the first time she met the Doctor, which is exactly what happened to Oswin here. Hopefully this was REALLY the first time Oswin met him, otherwise she's a rip-off of River. In any case, she's a lot of fun. If they continue to write her well, then she should be great. If they let her standards slip, she could become annoying though. I really liked how the Doctor met the next companion while still travelling with Amy and Rory. What did the Silence have to gain from making Amy infertile? What was the point of that? The 'eggs' scene with Rory was great. For some reason, I actually didn't see it coming that it was trying to say "Exterminate!"...

If I remember correctly, when Vastra and Dorium were looking at the research on Demons run they said that the Silence and Kovarian had been testing and experimenting on Amy and Melody in order to isolate the timelord gene. It is possible that the experiments that they did on Amy rendered her infertile. It may have been a complete mistake on their part.

Good episode overall but I was wondering about Jenna Louise Coleman being in it. I don't think this means that thismeans that this character is the new companion though. I think it is one of those things where an actor appears as a different character, impresses the producer, and is brought back as the new companion character with some explaination given for the resemblance. Freema for instance played one character in Doomsdayand then appeared as Martha, explained that they were cousins. This Oswin character may be related to the new companion in some way, maybe her sister or cousin.

Edited on 09/01/2012 3:47pm

PsyduckRanger

[19]Sep 1, 2012
    Generally what I've heard from reactions has been bad, with Oswin criticised for being exactly like every other woman Moffat writes.

I think the Daleks forgetting the Doctor is interesting. There's a lot that can be done with that, and that will be. Let's face it, Moffat wouldn't have done that without good reason. Either he's got plans for the next half of this series, or he's got plans for the anniversary. That move wouldn't have been pulled pointlessly.

Pfft, I noticed old Who Daleks once or twice, but considering how big of a deal was made about them being in it I thought there'd at least be a point. Every single Dalek in this episode could have been a Progenitor Dalek and it wouldn't have changed a thing, other than for it to make canonical sense.

Regarding Amy's infertility, perhaps they were worried about the possibility of them having another Time Lord baby, and having that out in the wild...

Jenna-Louise Coleman's appearance is not the same thing as characters like Martha and Amy, whose actresses previously appeared on the programme in other roles. This was the same series - Martha first appeared nearly a year after her cousin, Amy came two years after the Soothsayer. Plus, neither of those were major roles. Oswin was one of the most important characters in the episode, and will reappear in a mere three/four months. Moreover the BBC have made a big deal out of her appearance in the episode, and have hinted that there is significance behind it.

Felsig

[20]Sep 1, 2012
    • level: 11
    Just as a note from the editor, Gislef...

The thoughtful folks in Development have cut off many members from being able to access the show and site forums, and editors from accessing their moderation and submission pages.

As such, I cannot post here under my primary ID, moderate subs, or make submissions myself that go instantly live.

My submissions are in the queue and will hopefully get approved by staff Sunday morning. Or not. Could be sometimes after. More likely will be late Tuesday morning when they get back from holiday in the U.S. They have no way of determining whether other submissions should be approved or not. Which means subs could sit there for some time until Development fixes the issue.

So folks can submit if they want, but the odds are they won't get get accepted because they're duplicates of stuff that staff has already approved. Or will approve first. Or something. Any other subs could take some time to get moderated. For the most part, that includes Quotes and Notes.

My apologies for the inconvenience, but there's not a lot I can do about it.
    Edited on 09/01/2012 6:28pm