Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Official Discussion Thread: Asylum of the Daleks (possible spoilers)

theportal

[41]Sep 4, 2012
    • level: 26
    The hype about seeing 'more Daleks than you've ever seen in a single place' for this episode was simply not true. "Doomsday" and "The Stolen Earth" showed far more Daleks, I thought? Still a fun episode though, thanks to Jenna Louise-Coleman, and the Rory/Amy scene was very well acted.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[42]Sep 4, 2012
    • level: 32
    BillyHamilton0 wrote:

Hmm no we do completely agree on that I thought the exact same thing but didn't really post it. Even the Doctor had momentary mixed feelings about what she did, but seemed to welcome it with a bit of excitement at the very end.

And also, I get the rule #1 thing, but it didn't quite seem like it lol it's not as if Amy wasn't there to hear the Doctor proclaim to the parliament of the Daleks that they're all too afraid to deal with their own problem (even though it was obviously mixed with a lot of grandstanding). Actually though, I find it odd that the supreme Dalek couldn't just order some regular soldiers to go in, you can't be telling me that they would disobey orders since that's Dalek rule #1: to obey. Maybe this wasn't really fear as others said, it was just an excuse to get rid of the Doctor and their huge problem at the same time without risking a single Dalek's life.

The prime minister did say that a dalek would never destroy such beautiful hatred. Perhaps that extended to the fact that they are not willing to sacrifice even a single dalek. Otherwise, it may have been that they knew that even a group of daleks could not effectively get into the asylum, they needed someone who was skilled in defeating daleks under harsh odds, namely the Doctor. Plus if the Doctor failed, all the better for them.

TOCM19

[43]Sep 5, 2012
    • level: 14
    As far as the Daleks were concerned there's no way he could have failed, since they think they know how he dies. Right?

PsyduckRanger

[44]Sep 5, 2012
    • level: 20
    No, enemies like the Daleks all (seem to) exist relative to the Doctor's timeline. They're aware in this episode that the Doctor supposedly died at Lake Silencio earlier in his personal timeline. The beginning of the episode has a voiceover monologue from the sleeper agent woman talking about how the only man to defeat the Daleks died, but there were some that believed he survived.

Meaning that Moffat has made the Doctor's hugely important action from the end of series 6 utterly pointless.

I'm sorry, I've enjoyed a lot of Moffat episodes (most recently The Eleventh Hour, or maybe the Weeping Angel two-parter), but he's not good as a show runner. He's good at individual episodes. He's good when not entrusted with the entire show's continuity to screw up, or make even more ludicrous than RTD did.

TOCM19

[45]Sep 6, 2012
    • level: 14
    Yeah, I know what you mean.

But the idea that him "dying" would mean that everyone he meets would then think he was dead was silly anyway, since he's a time traveller.

You are right about Moffat, I never thought i'd say that RTD did a better job. If Moffat had written the finales for RTD using his direction, it probably would have been the best thing ever.

PsyduckRanger

[46]Sep 6, 2012
    Yes. Moffat could have done a great job with RTD's stories (though he would still have used the Paradox Machine, or something equally as frustrating, he did so himself with the Teselecta), but his own keep featuring themes of time & space getting mixed up, paradoxes, time being rewritten, and just generally cluster bombs of nonsense that are funny for a minute or two, but quickly wear off when you realise what rubbish it is.

Similarly, like RTD, Moffat seems to think he's created the Doctor's one true love, when the character in question is currently the most annoying one on the show.

roweantarts

[47]Sep 6, 2012
    • level: 16

For all intents and purposes, I enjoyed this, but there are quite a number of plot-holes, among which are:

How did that many Daleks survive the time-war?

And more importantly, if the Daleks had forgotten the Doctor, surely they've forgotten their own plan to destroy the asylum (since that revolved around the Doctor) so were they just waiting for a force-field to randomly drop out?

Edited on 09/06/2012 4:28pm

angeleys151

[48]Sep 7, 2012
    • level: 6
    roweantarts wrote:

For all intents and purposes, I enjoyed this, but there are quite a number of plot-holes, among which are:

How did that many Daleks survive the time-war?

And more importantly, if the Daleks had forgotten the Doctor, surely they've forgotten their own plan to destroy the asylum (since that revolved around the Doctor) so were they just waiting for a force-field to randomly drop out?

I think that the Asylum Daleks survived the Time War because they weren't fighting in it. It seems like The Doctor didn't even know that they existed so he couldn't have Time Locked them. The other "sane" Daleks were created with the progenetor.

That's a good point about the force-field.

PsyduckRanger

[49]Sep 7, 2012
    The Daleks hadn't forgotten Amy & Rory, or the TARDIS. They knew they'd sent those two in there to sort it out.

That's not a perfect explanation, but it comes to mind easily enough. Far from the biggest problem of the episode, I think.

theportal

[50]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 26

PsyduckRanger wrote:
    No, enemies like the Daleks all (seem to) exist relative to the Doctor's timeline. They're aware in this episode that the Doctor supposedly died at Lake Silencio earlier in his personal timeline. The beginning of the episode has a voiceover monologue from the sleeper agent woman talking about how the only man to defeat the Daleks died, but there were some that believed he survived. Meaning that Moffat has made the Doctor's hugely important action from the end of series 6 utterly pointless.

Noticed that too... At least the Daleks can't really tell anyone he's alive though, because they subsequently had all of their knowledge of him erased by Oswin.

roweantarts wrote:

We don't know that Oswin erased all of the Daleks' memories at the same time. She didn't necessarily wipe the minds of any Daleks other than the ones in intensive care during that particular scene. Maybe she didn't get around to wiping the minds of all of the others until the Doctor parted from her. A last act of kindness as the asylum was exploding, perhaps.

Edited on 09/08/2012 1:00pm
    Edited 3 total times.

BradC3

[51]Oct 16, 2012
    • level: 1

I think the Daleks forgetting the Doctor now gives them an opportunity for growth.