Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Sep 6, 2012
    • level: 100

Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 9/9/12 episode "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PsyduckRanger

[2]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 20
    Clearly a lot of speculation and excitement about this episode o_O

TOCM19

[3]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 14
    What a mess that was. I wouldn't call it bad, but deffinately a mess. Not sure about he genetic similarity controls, that was a bit of a stretch.

But Rory's dad + Egyptian Queen + hunter guy whos name / significance I never did manage to work out. All too much.

TOCM19

[4]Sep 8, 2012
    Oh and Mitchell and Web felt very fourth wall breaking.

theportal

[5]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 26
    Amusing to see Mr. Weasley and Argus Filch on the show in the same episode. It didn't have as tight a narrative as "Asylum of the Daleks", and I really could have done without the campy robots, but Nefertiti was fun, as was the dynamic between Ron and his Dad. When Amy first lied about being a queen, I was thinking about how juvenile she still is... Good thing she didn't keep up the pretense. Hero worship where Nefertiti was concerned was no excuse.

Too bad the Silurians didn't really appear, it would have been a nice twist. Their involvement-of-sorts was good enough though I guess. Surprised that the Doctor as good as killed Solomon by leaving him to the missiles - a bit too vengeful there really.

_Islander_

[6]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 31
    Oh blimey.

After such a truly, truly promising start to this series, tonight's episode was a complete train crash, at least in my opinion. I mean, I don't even know where to start. Probably the worst culprit is just the sheer silliness throughout the episode - isn't that one of the many things that people complained about during the RTD era?

It's clear that the idea behind this episode was, of course, 'dinosaurs on a spaceship', into which a story seems to have been forced in with a very poor fit (I don't really think a concept like that could ever have a great story to go with it). You've then got Nefertiti in there for pretty much no reason, stupid robots being, well, stupid and inane. Rory's Dad has his world blown apart, as he's suddenly confronted with a deluge of life-changing facts (the Universe is full of life, spaceships fly near Earth, one of them materialised around him, he suddenly meets an alien that looks human, this alien can travel through space and time, and to cap it all off, his son and daughter-in-law have been gallivanting with him, and then within six hours he's flying a space ship himself), and what's his reaction? He drops a light bulb. That's more or less it. Such lazy, lazy writing - why even bring him into the picture? Well, it seems that perhaps even they realised this, went back and wrote in these dual control things, so that at least he had some purpose. At least that how it seems to me.

That's just scratching the surface, and doesn't even touch on things such as the innuendo and more pointless flirting.

Last weeks episode, though not flawless, was very, very good. I'd possibly go as far as to say it just about restored my faith in this series. This episode blew it right off. Terrible

Edit: Forgot to mention the killing of Solomon (hundreds of things I forgot to mention probably, but this is one which stuck out). Very much not in-keeping with how the Doctor's been portrayed up until now - I honestly expected him to somehow divert or deactivate the missiles at the last moment, leaving Solomon hurtling into space alone, defenceless and powerless, but alive. Not a character development that I'm liking the look of.
    Edited on 09/08/2012 12:58pm

theportal

[7]Sep 8, 2012
    _Islander_ wrote:
    Edit: Forgot to mention the killing of Solomon (hundreds of things I forgot to mention probably, but this is one which stuck out). Very much not in-keeping with how the Doctor's been portrayed up until now - I honestly expected him to somehow divert or deactivate the missiles at the last moment, leaving Solomon hurtling into space alone, defenceless and powerless, but alive. Not a character development that I'm liking the look of.

Agreed. BTW, I hated the scene where the triceratops licked Brian's face, it just seemed so childish.

Next week's romp will probably be more to the taste of most fans, but to me it looks unappealing as I usually don't care for wild west stuff.

PsyduckRanger

[8]Sep 8, 2012
    Gah, seriously? I do not get this place. Last week was awful, hardly anything happened! By comparison, plenty happened this week. While it was far from great, this was good, (mostly) harmless fun, and I bet kids loved it. Certainly I don't think anyone would have complained if this were an episode of Sarah Jane Smith.

It was not a fantastic episode. But plenty happened, and it was fun.

Although the Doctor not correcting Arthur on "pterodactyls" bugged me.

TOCM19

[9]Sep 8, 2012
    It wasn't bad, but there was too much stuff. These crazy pre-credit bits are just too excessive and rushed, and this one yielded a whole host of one shot companions that just cluttered up the story. Convenient bits like Rory's dad being there was the treason they were able to fly the ship were silly. Also, the Doctor totally killed a dude. What was with that?

Daniel-Jackson

[10]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 9

The Doctor basically killing this guy? Wow. That's not the Doctor I know. He would have taken him with him, dropped him off at the authorities to go to jail or sent him to an exil somewhere but not kill the guy. Maybe leave the guy the choice to come with him or stay, but actually kill him? Come one, seriously? That hurts.

Maybe it was meant to show the dark side of the Doctor which apparently plays a role in the future but it is still too over the top.

My other negative point about this episode was that the beginning and picking up of all these companions seemed too rushed (same problem was in the Asylum, but not as extreme). The episode would probably have worked the same without Nefrititi and the hunter. But I did like the way they brought in Rory's dad. My guess is that him apparently staying with the Doctor has some significance for the following episodes, leading to Amy and Rorys final departure ( Cry ).

Other than these two points I really loved the episode. It was a fun trip and I think the reason for Dinosaurs being on a spaceship was pretty clever: An arc built by the silurians 65 million years ago to save the silurians and the animals of their world from extinction because of the meteor impact at the end of the cretaceus period.

PsyduckRanger

[11]Sep 8, 2012
    Something else just occurred to me. Rory stated his age to be 31.

Amy was born in 1989 (according to the Doctor Who wiki), and certainly she was 18 in 2008, 20 in 2010. Given this episode takes place 10 months since they last saw the Doctor, so unless that refers to a different adventure and YEARS have passed off-screen, they've come from 2013 and Amy is probably 23. She and Rory are the same age.

Karen Gillan is 24 and Arthur Darvill is 30...maybe Chibnall was going for approximately the actor's age, but no! He's at most 24.

Also, Spoiler Alert, for those who are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMEo711uwg

erinahbing

[12]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 6

As if the story was born from the fantasies of a kid.. rather messy, yes

Daniel-Jackson wrote:

But I did like the way they brought in Rory's dad. My guess is that him apparently staying with the Doctor has some significance for the following episodes, leading to Amy and Rorys final departure ( Cry ).

Apparently? For me it seemed he asked for a favor (to watch Earth), but the Ponds were also on board, and that's all.

Then he sent a lot of postcards around the world-- but only from earth and present time, no future, no past. Last postcard from the Doctor (with tardis, no Rory's dad) Why do you think he is staying with the Doctor? Have I missed something.

Edited on 09/08/2012 5:16pm

dragon22a

[13]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 32

It was good to see Rory and Amy back together and apparently happy.

One question about that though. When the Doctor and Amy were speaking, he mentions that she quit her job and he questions her in the fact that she quit her last one and apparently never settles. Now unless he is countingbeing a Kiss-O-Gram as a job, the only job Amy has ever been shown as having is as a model. It makes me wonder if more time has passed between the Asylum and now than 10 months and that there have been visits to the ponds, though maybe not adventures, in the interim. This would explain Rory's age being 31, perhaps years have actually passed. In fact, we were never really shown when Asylum took place. This may be Moffats plan, showing the Ponds across their lives as the Doctor comes to visit less and less often.

As for the rest of the episode, it was a bit of a wash. No real story beats that were of any real consequence. I was abit put off from the Doctor sending Solomon to die. Sure, we have seen this side of the Doctor before, remember when the 9th doctor let Cassandra seemingly die. But this Doctor has been trying to move on from the "oncoming storm" identity, the one that made the people of the forest consider him a warrior. He could have easily been made to punish Solomon in a less dark way like saying that he was dropping him in Stormcage for his crimes against the Silurians, he could have even mentioned that he was going to see River.

wildhoney66

[14]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 13

i actually loved this episode but i think last weeks was better. yes this one had it's faults. and having the doctor kill that dude did surprise me, it doesn't piss me off or anything. cause he does every now and than let someone die. as someone said cassandra died.

i really didn't see the point of having that one dude there i forget his name. but the queen at least came more into play. rory saying he's 31 well it does make sense cause since we have had amy on the show we learn on how much time has passed from each visit from the doctor. weather it's only 10 months or 2 years. it adds up and if you add all that up it prolly would be right that rory is now 31. i forget how old he was when the 5th season wasn't it ? started. but he was in his 20's than just like Amy. so it makes sense that her starting out as a child and than

going into adulthood and into her now 30's sounds about right. and it sounds about right if the doctor comes to visit them at home or even just talks to them on his phone. as for the dinosaurs? they looked good. i gotta say that having that one tricatops or however that's spelled?

be something they could be licked he he. or being able to ride was nice to see rather than have it be CGI. but i had fun with this one, i was waiting for the doctor to say well i'm married when the queen was coming on to him. hmmm... i guess not. oh well i guess.

roweantarts

[15]Sep 9, 2012
    • level: 16

The Doctor has always had a ruthless side, even if it's been less obvious in this particular Doctor

This episode wasn't particularly well plotted, it had far too many characters, and was kinda predicible too

But I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was fun, I rarely stopped smiling, and I'll happily take that from an episode

Oh and that parallel control thing was also something to stop Solomon being able to pilot the ship himself.

Edited on 09/09/2012 1:40am

PsyduckRanger

[16]Sep 9, 2012
    wildhoney66 wrote:
    i really didn't see the point of having that one dude there i forget his name. but the queen at least came more into play. rory saying he's 31 well it does make sense cause since we have had amy on the show we learn on how much time has passed from each visit from the doctor. weather it's only 10 months or 2 years. it adds up and if you add all that up it prolly would be right that rory is now 31. i forget how old he was when the 5th season wasn't it ? started. but he was in his 20's than just like Amy. so it makes sense that her starting out as a child and than

No, actually, while there could have been plenty of time between various visits, taking only what has actually been shown on the show so far, Amelia was 6 when the Doctor first appeared, then it was 12 years before he reappeared, then another 2. We're now at Amy being 20, and she then travelled continuously until her wedding. Her honeymoon was apparently over Christmas, though with time travel that doesn't necessarily mean anything. However the break between the two halves of series 6 was over the summer for them too. We can assume this was the same summer as for us, 2011, though it could have been 2010 or whenever. Chances are though at that point they'd been married for about a year putting Amy at 21. The Doctor then left them at their new home. Apart from glimpses here and there that could have been at any time the next time we see them with a confirmed time is at Christmas - again, going on just what we've been shown that's 2011. Then there's Pond Life, over spring and summer, we can assume that's 2012. Finally there's another ten months putting DoaS at spring/summer 2013.

Short version: based on show evidence this episode took place in mid 2013, putting Amy at 23. Rory was in the same school year as her, meaning he's 22-24.

roweantarts wrote:
    Oh and that parallel control thing was also something to stop Solomon being able to pilot the ship himself.

Sure, but that doesn't explain why the Silurians designed it like that. This was apparently a peaceful group of Silurians, they didn't have any weapons on board, they didn't expect to be attacked, so they wouldn't put in a system designed to make the ship difficult to steal. It makes no sense that they'd build this system when they could have had a simpler system that anyone could just use.

In fact, it doesn't make sense that they'd have a control system at all. They were all in stasis. The ship was on autopilot. Ok, so maybe an emergency system, but it was clearly a pretty trustworthy ship if the Silurians could fly in it while unconscious for aeons without expecting trouble. On the rare chance that they were for some reason awake and needing to fly manually, they'd want a much simply system than needing to find family to pilot it.

fifilein

[17]Sep 9, 2012
    • level: 4

not really sure why everyone in here gives such a bad review.it was a fun episode, not to be taken to serious and ididn'tstop smiling from the beginning to the end.

every gang member was just ment to be the impersonation of of its cliche, from the queen, to indiana jones and dad - even triceratops.amy linesweren'tthat deep either, but was fun seeing her imitate the doctor "when you enter a room, press buttons and keep pressing buttons" "i wont have two flirtingcompanions".

ididn'tneed the robots nor the villain, but doctors "i need a gang, its something new" was very refreshing and made and excellent episode.

anngel421

[18]Sep 9, 2012
    • level: 17

I think it might be because after such a heavy arch on series 6, people aren't used to madcap episodes. I like the fun episodes as much as the serious ones but eh that may be just me.

BillyHamilton0

[19]Sep 9, 2012
    • level: 2
    Heh, looking at how heavily people analyze each episode, I wonder how some people are even able to enjoy the show. Yeah, there were some oddities about the episode, but I think this atmosphere of goofy things come along with Matt Smith's doctor. My only real question is why the doctor has been located/called two episodes in a row, considering he's supposed to be "dead" and gone from history at this point. Yeah, you could play it off as timey-wimey stuff, considering he's a time traveler, but he isn't working under cover, or least acting as if he is (only real way of showing this was the scan that couldn't identify him). But otherwise, I've actually enjoyed this series so far, some people who may not have liked the arc-based series seem to want it back already lol, I've seen too much talk of "not much happening".

theportal

[20]Sep 9, 2012
    PsyduckRanger wrote:
    Something else just occurred to me. Rory stated his age to be 31.

Amy was born in 1989 (according to the Doctor Who wiki), and certainly she was 18 in 2008, 20 in 2010. Given this episode takes place 10 months since they last saw the Doctor, so unless that refers to a different adventure and YEARS have passed off-screen, they've come from 2013 and Amy is probably 23. She and Rory are the same age.

Karen Gillan is 24 and Arthur Darvill is 30...maybe Chibnall was going for approximately the actor's age, but no! He's at most 24.

Also, Spoiler Alert, for those who are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiMEo711uwg

Remember that Amy said that two years had passed at the end of "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe". Two years since "The Wedding of River Song", I believe. Also remember that Amy's timeline moved on in a big way in the time between "The God Complex" and "Closing Time" because she established herself as a famous model. And in "Asylum of the Daleks", didn't Amy give some sort of figure for how long it had been since they'd last seen the Doctor?

I really like how Amy and Rory are dropping in and out of the Doctor's life in this series.