Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Official DIscussion Thread: The Doctor, the Widow... (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Dec 20, 2011
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 12/25/11 Christmas Special, "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe", to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jwgrlrrajn

[2]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 23
    First!

Can't wait for this one. It looks pretty good.

I wonder if they'll continue the theme of performing a Doctor Who take on popular Christmas stories next year. My money's on "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."

steamheaduk

[3]Dec 25, 2011
    • level: 19
    Loved it, absolutely magical Christmas Doctor Who.

cross_mr

[5]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 9
    Does Matt Smith ever do anything? It seems to be a large difference I see between his doctor and Tenant's... Tenant was in there kicking all kids of butt, while Smith just seems to wander around in a panic and everyone else solves things.

roweantarts

[7]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 16

Sorry, was this an episode of Doctor who? This thing felt like a comedy show, more than a sci-fi adventure. Shockingly awful.

Edited on 12/26/2011 8:18am

thetruesora

[8]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 22
    I liked the episode. The only comment i can think to make is just about the bit when Madge says about her first time meeting Reg and said to the tv "So he stalked you then?". He followed her every chance he got until she would go out with him, that's the definition of stalking.

shadowspy24

[9]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 11
    I have to agree, it was terribly written and full of plot holes. The only way to enjoy this is episode is to switch off your brain and just accept everything they say and do otherwise it's pure silliness.

Some of the things that annoyed me include:
    -Why is the doctor talking/groaning in the vacuum of space where there is no air?
    -How the hell can those trees time travel but can't build a building that sustains acid rain?
    -Isn't he supposed to be 1103 years old but says "The last 900 years of time travel were that little bit unsafe"
    -The father dies a couple of days ago and their ship lands on Christmas day so how does he follow them unless he time travels with them as well? Or maybe they pick him up and then travel a few more days into the future.

There's probably more but those things did irritate me.

steamheaduk

[10]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 19
    shadowspy24 wrote:
    I have to agree, it was terribly written and full of plot holes. The only way to enjoy this is episode is to switch off your brain and just accept everything they say and do otherwise it's pure silliness.

Exactly, the perfect example of Christmas Day entertainment for the family.

shadowspy24 wrote:

-Why is the doctor talking/groaning in the vacuum of space where there is no air?

Because he can, just like he can travel in time and it's bigger on the inside. Remember it's a fantasy show for kids, not a documentary ;-)

shadowspy24 wrote:

-How the hell can those trees time travel but can't build a building that sustains acid rain?

How the hell can we travel to the moon and yet not cure cancer or eliminate poverty. Personally I got the impression the Acid rain was being introduced by the offworld miners, a wood based lifeform wouldn't have been likely to introduce acid rain themselves, so they were unlikely to have a solution for a problem they never encountered or even imagined.

shadowspy24 wrote:
    -Isn't he supposed to be 1103 years old but says "The last 900 years of time travel were that little bit unsafe"

You DO know he stole the TARDIS and left Galifrey with his Granddaughter don't you?

shadowspy24 wrote:

-The father dies a couple of days ago and their ship lands on Christmas day so how does he follow them unless he time travels with them as well? Or maybe they pick him up and then travel a few more days into the future.

The ship was being steered by Madge through the vortex (you know all time and space), she was thinking strongly about where she wanted to go and two things came to mind, her husband and Christmas. There was no moon or stars on the day he disappeared, he saw the ship and followed it home. Fairly simple stuff, my kids got it.

abba321

[11]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 2

It was all worth it for the 5 minute sequence with Bill Bailey.

"Please say we can tell the difference between wool and side-arms"

"Not always sir, no"

"I think she's a time traveler sir"

"And you're sure it's not her cardigan?"

cross_mr

[12]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 9

abba321 wrote:

It was all worth it for the 5 minute sequence with Bill Bailey.

"Please say we can tell the difference between wool and side-arms"

"Not always sir, no"

"I think she's a time traveler sir"

"And you're sure it's not her cardigan?"

That was worth it.

They should have given those 3 far more screen time. It would have made for a better episode.

jwgrlrrajn

[13]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 23
    I liked it pretty well, although I was expecting more of a straight up adaptation of Narnia, rather than have a few elements that were inspired by it.

Btw, I want a lemonade tap. XD

I kind of preferred A Christmas Carol to this, but this was good nonetheless. (certainly better than voyage of the damned)

My only gripe that can't be handwaved away is why is the Doctor spending Christmas with his in-laws, but not his wife. You'd think he would have picked her up on his way to see them.

PsyduckRanger

[14]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 20
    It was just rather bland...nothing really interesting happened...it was far more about the characters of the family (who I did like, but we'll never see them again) than making a good story. Nothing really happened until halfway through (so the opposite of The Next Doctor). It felt like the sacrificed a good story to squeeze in a few more Narnia references. Whilst the aliens weren't at all interesting, I liked the idea of enemies made of wood, and as others have said, Bill Bailey and his crew were the best part of the episode, and I'd rather the episode had centred around them. Moffat wasted the perfect opportunity to have an episode about the Doctor travelling with River, too...

thetruesora

[15]Dec 27, 2011
    one other thought i had, is "I know" becoming one of 11's catchphrases?

PsyduckRanger

[16]Dec 28, 2011
    • level: 20

No...he hasn't said it in any other episode, has he? Not in the same way, not notably, at least. It was just a running gag for this episode.

haldrey

[17]Dec 29, 2011
    It looks like this episode was received as either very good or very bad, count me as one of those that believe that this was a really good episode, one of the best Christmas episodes of 2011.

pferreira86

[18]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 17

I have to say I actually enjoyed it more than last years which was a bit disappointing so an improvement anyway.

Nordan123

[20]Feb 7, 2012
    • level: 6

cross_mr wrote:
    Does Matt Smith ever do anything? It seems to be a large difference I see between his doctor and Tenant's... Tenant was in there kicking all kids of butt, while Smith just seems to wander around in a panic and everyone else solves things.

I have to agree with you. Where Tennant just pointed his compact sonic screwdriver Smith waves his gigantic version at everything,it just looks silly.

On topic,this was rather weak stuff but I suppose it may be good fun for the kids.

While "spacey wacey" and "timey wimey" sort of make sense...."humany wumany" made me cringe.Where on earth did that come from?

Edited on 02/07/2012 5:51am

Samuel2484

[21]Feb 8, 2012
    • level: 16

Nordan123 wrote:

cross_mr wrote:

I have to agree with you. Where Tennant just pointed his compact sonic screwdriver Smith waves his gigantic version at everything,it just looks silly.

On topic,this was rather weak stuff but I suppose it may be good fun for the kids.

While "spacey wacey" and "timey wimey" sort of make sense...."humany wumany" made me cringe.Where on earth did that come from?

I think that you're basing that conclusion only from this episode. There were many cases of all doctors in which they have not been in control of the situation. Tennant was not always a hero, and neither is Smith. Remember Midnight? Tennant believed he was getting to understand the creature and in actuality screwed up and the creature got inside his head, if it hadn't been for the woman who sacrafised herself to kill the real monster, the whole crew would have thrown the doctor out of the rocket thinking he was the monster.

And yet that was a great episode.

If Smith was in control of EVERYTHING and knew everything that was going on, he wouldn't be very interested in what's going on around him that much. I like that he's dopey and not always heading in the right direction but through making supporting characters the heroes by the end of the episodes, does it mean the stories get more character development for said supporting characters and we can emotionally connect with them.

Still there have been many cases when Smith IS in control and every doctor panics sometimes if he was unexcited about things then he wouldn't be very interesting.

Say what you will but Tennant felt a lot like an action hero and more of a human than alien. Seriously I loved him but when he was in the role I couldn't really imagine that he was from another planet.

Where as Matt Smith is VERY Alien and yet I BELIEVE that he's a 900 year old Alien from another planet. Though he feels more like the goofy rogue doctor from the classic series and that's great, though you don't see him in much sadness from the time war but then again we've had 7 years now of the doctor greeving over the time war, so I don't blame Smith for giving all that sadness a rest for a while.

My point is every doctor is different and while it's perfectly reasonable to have your opinions on tennant and smith, tennant is never going to come back. People need to stop comparing Smith to Tennant because frankly it's a little biased. No one questioned EVERYTHING that tennant did after Christopher Eccleston was before him even though Eccleston was great too did they? Matt Smith has the unfortunate curse of constanly being compared to who was before him, I think it's time you all stopped saying how much he's un-like Tennant and how Tennant was better bla bla bla.

If you don't like Smith, fine. In a few years you'll probably get a new doctor. So try to enjoy Smith AS HIS OWN doctor than expecting him to be as good as Tennant. Because HE IS GOOD, and if people let the guy do what he does, I think you'll find your opinion of him will change for the better...

Edited on 02/10/2012 5:26am

Nordan123

[22]Feb 10, 2012
    • level: 6

Samuel2484 wrote:
    I think it's time you all stopped saying how much he's un-like Tennant and how Tennant was better bla bla bla.

If you don't like Smith, fine. In a few years you'll probably get a new doctor. So try to enjoy Smith AS HIS OWN doctor than expecting him to be as good as Tennant. Because HE IS GOOD, and if people let the guy do what he does, I think you'll find your opinion of him will change for the better...

Well I actually agree with alot of what you wrote.I've grown to like Matt's Doctor,he's doing just fine (but waving the sonic around is still silly). Smile

Unfortunately for ME Moffat's Who has gone in a direction I don't appreciate as much as I did Davies' era,but that is obviously my problem and my loss.