Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Rate the Doctors

archangelwho

[1]Aug 30, 2013
    • level: 18

1. Second (Troughton) 2. Fifth (Davison) 3. Tenth (Tennent) 4. Fourth (T. Baker) 5. Eleventh (Smith) 6. Sixth (C. Baker) 7. Third (Pertwee)

8. Seventh (McCoy) 9. First (Hartnell) 10. Ninth A (Richard E. Grant) 11. Ninth B (Eccleston) 12. Eight (McGann) Unlike so many I don't feel like I have to list C. Baker last. Also many of my picks are close enough thatthey could be called a tie but like most I hate ties.

I list Grant as Ninth A because he stated that someone was going to paint all 9 of him, don't remember who I had my twins 4 years old alone as I watched it and I missed a few lines. Also the Master refers to an event that was so bad that it changed the Doctor and was the reason he nol onger has a companion. This sound like the Time Wars. Also the new team did not have the good taste to include either Grant nor McGann so we don't know who Eccleston followed.

Edited on 10/12/2013 5:42pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

steamheaduk

[2]Aug 31, 2013
    • level: 19

1. Second

2. Eighth

3. Eleventh

4. Sixth

5. Fourth

6. Third

7. First

8. Ninth

9. Seventh

10. Tenth

11. Fifth

jwgrlrrajn

[3]Sep 4, 2013
    • level: 23
    Hmm, this is a hard one, but I'll give it a go.

Ordinarily, I'd put 10th in first place, except lately, I've been liking 9th and 11th for that spot as well, so they're more or less tied for my top three.

Anyway, 8th is fourth place...

3rd is fifth place...

2nd is sixth place... (might have been higher if there were more surviving episodes of his era, didn't get as good as a feel for him as I'd like to though)

1st is seventh place...

6th is eighth place...

7th is ninth place (for now anyway, need to see more episodes)...

5th is tenth place (same as above, need to see more episodes)...

4th is last place, and it's not that I need more episodes, I just think he was entirely overrated.

archangelwho

[4]Sep 6, 2013

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    Hmm, this is a hard one, but I'll give it a go. Ordinarily, I'd put 10th in first place, except lately, I've been liking 9th and 11th for that spot as well, so they're more or less tied for my top three. Anyway, 8th is fourth place... 3rd is fifth place... 2nd is sixth place... (might have been higher if there were more surviving episodes of his era, didn't get as good as a feel for him as I'd like to though) 1st is seventh place... 6th is eighth place... 7th is ninth place (for now anyway, need to see more episodes)... 5th is tenth place (same as above, need to see more episodes)... 4th is last place, and it's not that I need more episodes, I just think he was entirely overrated.

Though I disagree with your last choice I do agree that he is over rated and like the fact that you made it and placed him last. That was very brave of you.There was a time on the 1963 page that if you said a negative remark about 4 they would have came after you.

jwgrlrrajn

[5]Sep 7, 2013
    • level: 23
    Yeah, I don't know why, but I just don't feel that connection to the 4th Doctor like I do the others. And I understand he was basically the David Tennant of the classic series, but he didn't really do anything for me.

And don't get me wrong, I love the 10th Doctor, and he'd probably be my number 1 favorite if it weren't for The Rings of Ahkhaten and the 9th Doctor books I've been reading lately (speaking of which, if you haven't read it already, Winner Takes All is excellent). However, despite how much I love Tennant's portrayal of the Doctor, I think he's kind of overrated as well, if only because we've moved on and people really need to let that go now.

archangelwho

[6]Sep 8, 2013

Can you become so well liked that you become disliked? I think so. Take the "Dave Clark Five Syndrome". Thinks for the head up on the book. I have just finished my last Who book.

Edited on 09/08/2013 11:49am

dragon22a

[7]Sep 16, 2013
    • level: 32

1. 11th

2. 10th

3. 5th

4. 8th

5. 1st

6. 7th

7. 2nd

8. 6th

9. 4th

10. 9th

11. 3rd

archangelwho

[8]Oct 12, 2013

I have updated my 1st post to now include Richard E. Grant. It was hard having only 1 story and an animation at that but take a look and let me know what you think.

archangelwho

[9]Jan 12, 2014

1. Second (Troughton) 2. Fifth (Davison) 3.Twelfth (Tennent) 4. Fourth (T. Baker) 5.Thirteenth (Smith) 6. Sixth (C. Baker) 7. Third (Pertwee)

8. Tenth (Hurt) 9. Seventh (McCoy) 10. First (Hartnell) 11. Ninth (Richard E. Grant) 12.Eleventh (Eccleston) 13. Eight (McGann)

Edited on 01/12/2014 12:53pm

steamheaduk

[10]Jan 13, 2014

As a little sub topic, what about rating the first Doctor substitutes? As we've now had 3. Obviously nobody beats the original Hartnell, but since then we've had -

Richard Hurndall - First Doctor in The Five Doctors.

John Guilor - First Doctor in the Planet of the Giants episodes 3 and 4 reconstruction, and voice of the First in Day of the Doctor.

David Bradley - Playing William Hartnell AND the First Doctor in An Adventure in Space and Time.

Personally I'd rate them Bradley in first, then Guilor (having heard other First Doctor stuff as well by him), then Hurndall.

archangelwho

[11]Jan 13, 2014

Would have to rewatch Planet of the Giants and have never seen Adventure inTime & Space.

steamheaduk

[12]Jan 14, 2014

archangelwho wrote:

and have never seen Adventure inTime & Space.

You need to it's the highlight of the anniversary.

archangelwho

[13]Jan 14, 2014

I hope all of these will be on the season DVD and get everything in one shot. That has been my history. I got Day of the Doctor by reflex while Christmas shopping. Did not plan to get it at the time I did. Any word on how or when they will release this season on DVD.

steamheaduk

[14]Jan 15, 2014

As odd as it sounds Day of the Doctor, and Time of the Doctor were made out of Season 8's budget (Season 8 was originally planned to be transmitted in 2013 as Matt's final season and part of the Anniversary) BUT commercially they are not considered as Season 8.

So Season 7 box set includes everything up to The Name Of The Doctor, then The Day of the Doctor has been released standalone (including Night of the Doctor and The Last Day), and I believe in the US The Time Of The Doctor will also be standalone (in the UK it's being released as a set with Matt's other Christmas specials). Whether they will include these 2 on the eventual season 8 box set remains to be seen, but I suspect they will keep the season 8 box set as Capaldi only.

An Adventure In Time And Space has already been released standalone, but only on DVD, no Blu-Ray, which is a real shame given the detail they put into it. Since it's a docu-drama, rather than a Doctor Who adventure I doubt this will appear in any box set.

The Five-ish Doctors Reboot doesn't appear to have any release plans.