Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Season 7 on DVD

archangelwho

[1]Dec 7, 2012
    • level: 18

I see that season 7 part one is out on DVD. I have been out of touch with season 6 and 7 waiting for the DVD release to watch. Season 6 was done in two parts but released as a box set for Christmas 2011. Well it is Christmas 2012 and only season 7 part one has been released. When will 7 part two be released? Do they have plan for a season 7 box set? If so when will it be released? Thanks for your help and understanding of an out of touch fan.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[2]Dec 7, 2012
    • level: 32

What has happened is that there has been a change in how the seasons are being split and when the portions are airing. For seasons 1-6 you had the full seasons separated by the Christmas specials. Even season 6, which was split into sections as season 7 is, still aired all 13 episodes between Christmas Carol and The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe.

However this season was split differently with the first portion of season 7 being aired before the christmas special, the Snowmen, and the rest being aired after it. This was done for a number of possiblereasons. For one, this seasons episodes have been larger production wisewith each having more location shoots and bigger sets which likely led to higher production costs, the split may have allowed time for the production crew and the actors to recover. It may have also functioned asa way of distancing the introduction of Clara and her tenure as companion from the departure of the Ponds. It is also possible that the split has something to do with the series gearing up for the 50th anniversary in 2013.

So the second half of the season and then the entire season will be released following the airing of the remaining episodes of season 7. As of now, there does not seem to be an airing date for thenext regularepisode of the rest of the season following The Snowmen. It is likely going to be sometime in April or May. For now, you could purchase the first part and then purchase the second when it finally comes out or you may want to wait as the full seasons generally have all the special features as the half seasons as well as others. If you want to watch the episodes prior to that, maybe itunes or amazon downloads will suffice for now.

I hope that helps.

archangelwho

[3]Dec 8, 2012
    • level: 18

Thanks that was very helpful I hate to buy the parts because there are more extas on the full 2 part DVD set but it seem like a long wait. I understand the whys now and somethings cannot be help but not very fan friendly.