Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Series 7: News, Speculation, & Rumours (Spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Oct 1, 2011
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general news, spoilers, speculation, etc. for series 7+ here.

Basically, if it's about stuff that hasn't aired yet, and there isn't an episode discussion thread, it goes here.

Links and discussion of online polls, petitions, surveys, conventions and other "offline" things also go here.

Thanks!
    Edited on 09/05/2012 4:47pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

steamheaduk

[2]Oct 2, 2011
    • level: 19
    It has been confirmed in Doctor Who Monthly that Series 7 will not return until Autumn/Fall 2012. When rumours of this first emerged earlier this year Moffatt Tweeted to point out that season 7 will still have a full 13 episodes and Christmas Special, just that the "method of delivery" may be a little different.

Since 2013 is the show's 50th Anniversary, the rather cryptic "method of delivery" statement is being rumoured to be that season 7 may be split in two with the second half in 2013 and a full season 8 in 2013, giving a bigger Who outing for the anniversary year.

So far Matt Smitt and Karen Gillen have confirmed they will be returning in season 7.

rain_prison

[3]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 1

"On the Fields of Trenzalore, on the Fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never ever be answered."

Anyone else think next season will be Matt Smith's last?

TOCM19

[4]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 14
    rain_prison wrote:

"On the Fields of Trenzalore, on the Fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never ever be answered."

Anyone else think next season will be Matt Smith's last?

No, it's an obvious name, designed to obviously make everyone think that.

thetruesora

[5]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 22

and i doubt anyone will fall for it, it's not like there was several people asking if series 6 was going to be the end >_>

PsyduckRanger

[6]Oct 11, 2011
    • level: 20
    Even if that "prophecy" is accurately describing the Doctor's next death, who said it had to be next series?

jwgrlrrajn

[7]Oct 11, 2011
    • level: 23
    You know, the "fall of the 11th" could refer to the 11th day/hour/month/etc...

thetruesora

[8]Oct 17, 2011

not sure where else to put this, incase any one here was interested: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a346001/doctor-who-helps-iplayer-to-153m-requests-in-september.html

thetruesora

[9]Oct 21, 2011

Again rumours of him leaving can be seen here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a346856/matt-smith-considering-doctor-who-exit-video.htmlNote: The Doctor is friends with Spider-man?!? awesome! the reason i posted it though is to draw attention to how stupid half the comments are on it. For example, one guy having a go about Moffatt not understanding what WHO is about by "treating the doctor like a god" and apparently "having the doctor at the centre of every damn plotline". um...yeah :S

thetruesora

[10]Nov 26, 2011
    The show is moving to being shown in full in Autumn. That means that there'll be only a little bit of a gap after the end of the season before the christmas special and then (give or take 2 weeks) a 9 month wait before the following season.

Nordan123

[11]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 6

thetruesora wrote:
    The show is moving to being shown in full in Autumn. That means that there'll be only a little bit of a gap after the end of the season before the christmas special and then (give or take 2 weeks) a 9 month wait before the following season.

Any idea why they don't just push on and produce more when the show is so popular?

Or isn't the show as popular as I think it is? Or maybe it's still a question of money no matter how popular?

Just seems the breaks are wayyyyyy too long.

thetruesora

[12]Dec 6, 2011
    they spend 9 months a year filming on the 13 episode seasons (and the christmas specials). Post production then still happens when filming has stopped. For example, when Journey's End was shown they only finished the final version THREE DAYS before that.

thetruesora

[13]Dec 15, 2011

Rory and Amy will leave midway through the next season. It will be intriguing to see how well it turns out. Certainly a bold move atleast.

dragon22a

[14]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 32
    What is worse is how they are describing the departure. I would like them to go with a happy ending. Let's hope they do not kill one of them off or have them split up. To tell you the truth, I think that the way they ended it last series was good with the Doctor leaving them behind so that they could have a normal and safe life. They should have left it at that and had the Doctor find a new companion at the beginning of this series.

cross_mr

[15]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 9
    honestly if smith is gone, it's a good thing. I liked eccleston and when tenant came in, I was worried. It took him an episode to win me over. After a series and a half, I got a glimmer of hope from Smith, but the christmas special just killed that. This entire run just seems poor overall.

thetruesora

[17]Dec 26, 2011
    you don't need to post your opinion about Tennant leaving over and over again in different topics.

cross_mr

[18]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 9
    :
    The first 6 years ago when the series returned only went for 1 season then he thought he'd go off and make it big. Never seen of again except for a few episodes of Heroes.

he did quite well in a series this year called "Shadow Line"

thetruesora

[19]Dec 27, 2011
    ^I didn't watch it but apparently that got rave reviews and was really popular. Christopher Ecleston was in the BBC adaptation of The Borrowers on Boxing Day. The director for it was one of the regular directors they've had on DW. Chris acted rather doctor-like in it. Although i'll be willing to accept that might of just been my perception, anyone else see it to say whether it was just me or not?

steamheaduk

[20]Dec 30, 2011
    • level: 19
    Jason57892 wrote:

They have a DR Who Movie coming out but get this they are altering the actors and re doing it for a ne waudience which will probably mean they'll stuff it up like they did in 1996 and the previous movies which have all been flops.

And why actors think they can move on to big and better when they leave the DR Who franchise is anyones guess. Dumb actors. The first 6 years ago when the series returned only went for 1 season then he thought he'd go off and make it big. Never seen of again except for a few episodes of Heroes.

The next one stays around for a few seasons and then it goes to his head and he thinks he'll make it big in another series or in the movies and not seen again except on the G Norton show as a guest and those type shows so he'll no doubt be forgotton as well.

When are these silly actors going to wake up and see the light. They'll never get a role like this again. Its a plumb role, a one on a million and something they'll never get to do agian and that is being a tv star.

What they need to do is have a few shows with these last few DR's and call it the three DR's which has been done a few times going back a few decades. Shows how long I've been watching it. I've been watching it since that first old man DR back in the black and white days.

I take it you're one of these people that when you come across something you don't understand you think the way to understand it is to criticise it, rather than actually do a little research into the topic. Let me reassure you with some explanations that it's not the actors that are dumb.

In Chris's case he didn't leave to find something better. Any actor knows that leaving a show after one season is NOT the way to do that since it does not give you that much exposure and it casts doubt on your ability to stick to something for a long period of time. Instead the reason he left was widely do to disgreements with the production team. In particular the way juniors were treated on set and that the part did not develop in the way promised. In short he was not happy, and in an acting job that usually shows through on screen, so he did the right thing and left so as not to damage the show. He was also incredibly professional in that during the remaining tenure of that production team he did not do any interviews to really explain the reason for his departure, so again not damaging the reputation of the show's current regime. It was only after RTD left that the reasons began to emmerge in interviews.

In David's case there were two factors to consider, typecasting and energy. Typecasting is an eternal problem to actors playing any role long term. Tom Baker played The Doctor for 7 years and it was over a decade before he managed to get himself any significant role on TV again, and the most of his work these days relies voice parts which is a rare instance where being known for a significant part actually helps in the acting industry. For many people Peter Davison failed as the Doctor because he came straight out of the regular role of Tristan Farnon, and couldn't shake the image of The Doctor with his arm in an unpleasant place ;-)

The other factor is energy. As with Chris's case you need to love what you do, and Doctor Who is a grueling Nine Month 18 hour day shoot, so you REALLY have to love it to keep going. David did love the part, and from an emotional front wanted to stay much longer (hence his last line). But he knew that the sheer physicality of the shoot would eventually make it feel "like a job", so he decided to leave before that happened (I'm sure he was already having moments) so again it did not show on screen. I personally wouldn't want to watch the performance of an actor who's heart wasn't in it, so I applaud him for his brave (giving up a regular pay check for the sake of the show) not dumb (carrying on and delivering a sub standard performance) behaviour.

dragon22a

[21]Dec 30, 2011
    • level: 32

Jason57892 wrote:

They have a DR Who Movie coming out but get this they are altering the actors and re doing it for a ne waudience which will probably mean they'll stuff it up like they did in 1996 and the previous movies which have all been flops.

The 1996 movie did have its flaws but it was really not that bad. Meanwhile, Moffat has stated that the new movie, when it gets made, will feature whoever the current doctor is at the time. it will not be altering the actors or redoing it. That was a concern shared by many and Moffat has put a stop to that. Whenever this movie is made it will in in cannon.

It is not that the actors think they can do better, they just do not want it to get stale. They do not want to regret going to work each day and they want to enjoy being the doctor. Tennant left when he felt was right. Since then he has done mostly stage work and has appeared in Fright Night which did rather well. Chris had a falling out with the writers and creators but he has had some success since then.

There is a fear of being typecast or being passed over for certain roles because of being known for a certain character. Actors who have played Superman have had similar struggles. While the concerns are valid, I think that if you are going to be typecast for anything, let it be a legendary character like Superman or Doctor Who. But we are outsiders looking in. As fans, we would kill for the chance to play the role but who knows how we would feel if we did for a while.