Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Series 7: News, Speculation, & Rumours (Spoilers)

jwgrlrrajn

[22]Dec 30, 2011
    • level: 23
    steamheaduk wrote:
    Jason57892 wrote:

They have a DR Who Movie coming out but get this they are altering the actors and re doing it for a ne waudience which will probably mean they'll stuff it up like they did in 1996 and the previous movies which have all been flops.

And why actors think they can move on to big and better when they leave the DR Who franchise is anyones guess. Dumb actors. The first 6 years ago when the series returned only went for 1 season then he thought he'd go off and make it big. Never seen of again except for a few episodes of Heroes.

The next one stays around for a few seasons and then it goes to his head and he thinks he'll make it big in another series or in the movies and not seen again except on the G Norton show as a guest and those type shows so he'll no doubt be forgotton as well.

When are these silly actors going to wake up and see the light. They'll never get a role like this again. Its a plumb role, a one on a million and something they'll never get to do agian and that is being a tv star.

What they need to do is have a few shows with these last few DR's and call it the three DR's which has been done a few times going back a few decades. Shows how long I've been watching it. I've been watching it since that first old man DR back in the black and white days.

I take it you're one of these people that when you come across something you don't understand you think the way to understand it is to criticise it, rather than actually do a little research into the topic. Let me reassure you with some explanations that it's not the actors that are dumb.

In Chris's case he didn't leave to find something better. Any actor knows that leaving a show after one season is NOT the way to do that since it does not give you that much exposure and it casts doubt on your ability to stick to something for a long period of time. Instead the reason he left was widely do to disgreements with the production team. In particular the way juniors were treated on set and that the part did not develop in the way promised. In short he was not happy, and in an acting job that usually shows through on screen, so he did the right thing and left so as not to damage the show. He was also incredibly professional in that during the remaining tenure of that production team he did not do any interviews to really explain the reason for his departure, so again not damaging the reputation of the show's current regime. It was only after RTD left that the reasons began to emmerge in interviews.

In David's case there were two factors to consider, typecasting and energy. Typecasting is an eternal problem to actors playing any role long term. Tom Baker played The Doctor for 7 years and it was over a decade before he managed to get himself any significant role on TV again, and the most of his work these days relies voice parts which is a rare instance where being known for a significant part actually helps in the acting industry. For many people Peter Davison failed as the Doctor because he came straight out of the regular role of Tristan Farnon, and couldn't shake the image of The Doctor with his arm in an unpleasant place ;-)

The other factor is energy. As with Chris's case you need to love what you do, and Doctor Who is a grueling Nine Month 18 hour day shoot, so you REALLY have to love it to keep going. David did love the part, and from an emotional front wanted to stay much longer (hence his last line). But he knew that the sheer physicality of the shoot would eventually make it feel "like a job", so he decided to leave before that happened (I'm sure he was already having moments) so again it did not show on screen. I personally wouldn't want to watch the performance of an actor who's heart wasn't in it, so I applaud him for his brave (giving up a regular pay check for the sake of the show) not dumb (carrying on and delivering a sub standard performance) behaviour.

The energy thing is a valid point. Fortunately, Matt Smith seems like he has energy to spare. I'm gonna be sad to see him go when the time comes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

WhoThaMan

[23]Feb 26, 2012
    • level: 1

UNDERSTANDING THE PROPHECY (MAJOR SPOILERS)

"On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the 11th, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a Question will be asked. A question that must never, ever be answered"

It's simple really. We know the question is "Doctor Who?". This was revealed in the Cave Of Skulls belonging to the headless monks. Funnily enough, this was the title of the first Doctor Who episode where said question was asked. The answer of course, is the Doctor's name. And who is the one character who knows the Doctor's name? RIVER SONG.

When River Song reveals she knows his name to the tenth Doctor, he replies that there's only one time he would tell someone that. It doesn't take a genius to understand that is HIS DEATH. And not one he believes he could regenerate from.

Up to now has been common knowledge and most Who watchers will have guessed this, which is how Moffat cleverly tricked us in the twist at the end of series 6 (We believed the Doctor was really going to die, therefore telling River his name.) But of course the Doctor did not die, and did not tell River his name (instead saying 'Look into my eye'.)

So, the Doctor has yet to reveal his name to River, and his death is yet to come. Now my theory is, The 11th Doctor will meet his match (The Master?) on the fields of Trenzalore and firmly believe that it is his final end. He will reveal his name to River, and to the whole of creation seemingly die. Of course, whoever kills the Doctor will have taken into account his two remaining regenerations and prepared for that. But unbeknownst to them, River provided the Doctor with a huge amount of regeneration energy in 'Let's Kill Hitler'. Using this energy, the Doctor would be able to survive and regenerate into histwelfthincarnation.

The fact that we can see that at the end of hertime streamRiver knows the Doctor's name, means that we know The Silence fail at preventing the question from being answered.

No idea what else Moffat has up his sleeve for Series 7 but I can't wait. Regardless of whether this theory is true, he's created himself a nice little loophole for plenty more regenerations by writing River's little stunt in 'Let's Kill Hitler'.

P.S. I was very stoned when I came up with this theory, so if you spot any flaws or have any contributions/further evidence to support the theory please comment

Sheralien

[24]Mar 2, 2012
    • level: 7

Just a quick note about David Tennant and the fact that some people haven't seen him on screen... I bet you totally forgot to watch a brilliant production called Single Father and his appearance in a for screen adaptation of Hamlett? I bet those things went beyond some heads?

So far I have loved David the most as the doctor.. Matt is a funny doctor, but I am lacking the depth that David had. Maybe just the difference between an older and a younger actor and their experience on theatre productions?

And I so hope that they won't make any more of those "horror" episodes... it felt like Dr. Who went the same way as sci-fi channel.... the wrong way >.< .. Lets bring the Sci-Fi back please :)

dragon22a

[25]Mar 7, 2012
    • level: 32

One question that remains is why is the Doctors name so important? Maybe it was used to seal something away like a weapon or some powerful being like Omega. I could see this leading to a revelation about the Doctor's past. There was some reason why he took the name Doctor and why he left Gallifrey.

mobbs456

[26]Mar 14, 2012
    • level: 16

So who is the returning old villain from the old series this time? So far we've had the following:

Series 1: Autons and Daleks

Series 2: Cybermen!

Series 3: Macra, The Master

Series 4: Sontarans, Davros (yah!)

Series 5: The Silurians

Series 6: The Cybermats? (Let me know if i have missed any)

Which former enemies/aliens could return for the new series? Rani? The Valeyard? Omega?

steamheaduk

[27]Mar 15, 2012
    • level: 19
    Rumour has it Yeti, and Dinosaurs (though technically they returned in season 6).

The Omega symbol has appeared consistently in seasons 5 and 6, so if any Timelord is up to return, he'd be a strong bet.
    Edited on 03/15/2012 3:39am

Gislef

[28]Mar 21, 2012
    • level: 100
    New companion announced, one returning villain, and the schedule for 2012-2013.

http://blastr.com/2012/03//its-official-doctor-whos.php

mobbs456

[29]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 16

The new 'trailer' (andI use the term loosely) has been released. It's mainly the first episode but there are others.

Many people have said the thing coming out of the snow looks likea Dalek eye stalk. But it doesn't to me.

It looks more like an antenna/listening device from an underground base. And given the Artic Setting i reckon YETI'S!

Not sure if I will watch the new series with the news of Amy and Rory leaving (and possibly dying). I like them two.

darshaagan

[30]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 4

You should really do your homework a little better. Christopher Eccleston was big before he became the new Doctor and it was planed from the beginning that he wouldn't be the doctor for a long time, though one season I think was to short. David Tennant is acctually the actor that has been the Doctor the longest after Tom Baker, and when Matt Smith does the next season he will been even with almost everyone else and longer than some. This is the way of Doctor Who, the regeneration process is a exelent way to renew the series and alway keep it fresh. I'll allways miss the old Doctors and their companions, but I always get to love the new one fast since the always tend to get right person for the job.

steamheaduk

[31]Mar 30, 2012
    You know you'd think, criticising someone else for not doing their homework, you'd have done yours first ;-)

By "number of episodes" (making adjustments considering a modern episode to be 2x an old one etc) ignoring "skits" like Time Crash and Music of the Spheres (they don't make enough difference) and counting Specials as 2x even though they ran a little longer (again doesn't make enough difference to change places).
    172 Tom Baker (not including unaired Shada)
    138 Jon Pertwee
    134 William Hartnell (not including unaired Pilot)
    119 Patrick Troughton
    94 David Tennant
    85 Matt Smith (counting 14 to come in season 7 and assuming 50th Anniversary will be 90 minutes)
    74 Peter Davison (5 Doctors counting as 4)
    44 Colin Baker (season 22 was 13x45 minute format)
    42 Sylvester McCoy (though he did 1 more season than Colin Baker they were much shorter than season 22)
    26 Christopher Eccleston
    3 Paul McGann (90 minutes counts as 3)

Days in role as the "Current Doctor" (calculated either from first appearence to regeneration, or first appearence to first appearence of next Doctor where no regeneration was shown or started)
    3214 Sylvester McCoy (kept role from end of classic series to return in the movie, and did do bits in between e.g. Dimensions In Time)
    3196 Paul McGann (technically the current Doctor till the series relaunched)
    2478 Tom Baker
    1658 David Tennant
    1617 Jon Pertwee
    1422 Matt Smith (is confirmed at least to the 50th anniversary)
    1270 Colin Baker (had an 18 month hiatus to lengthen his tenure)
    1091 Peter Davison
    1071 William Hartnell
    966 Patrick Troughton
    84 Christopher Eccleston

Though Paul McGann's claim to 3196 days as being the current Doctor is a little tneuous, Syvester McCoy did 3 continuous seasons and then regenerated in a special after a hiatus with no new seasons of Doctor Who, in exactly the same way David Tennant did.

So David Tennant is aguably the fourth, and certainly no higher than the 3rd longest actor in the role, and from an actual output produced perspective, no higher than 5th. Also if you want to count number of seasons, Tennant till finishes no higher than joint third behind Tom Baker (7) and Jon Pertwee (5) as he only did 3 seasons, along with Hartnell, Troughton, Davison, C.Baker, McCoy and Smith (up to the 50th).
    Edited on 03/30/2012 2:24am
    Edited 2 total times.

steamheaduk

[32]Mar 30, 2012
    mobbs456 wrote:

Many people have said the thing coming out of the snow looks likea Dalek eye stalk. But it doesn't to me.

So you think this - http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/doctor-who-series-7-trailer-dwcon-breakdown-63.jpg

Looks nothing like this - http://images.wikia.com/tardis/images/9/95/Progenitor_Dalek_Eyepiece.PNG

How odd?

mobbs456 wrote:
    And given the Artic Setting i reckon YETI'S!

However THESE guys - http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/doctor-who-series-7-trailer-dwcon-breakdown-43.jpg

Definitely DO look like naked Yeti, with the lights in the right position for eyes, similar form, what looks like a spot for the controlling sphere and clawed hands.

bluecatcinema

[33]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 61

It looks like we'll be seeing all the past generations of Daleks: http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/all-daleks-return-for-series-7-32153.htm

steamheaduk

[34]Apr 1, 2012
    And by ALL Daleks, they don't just mean all Daleks since the 2005 relaunch

In case anyone is wondering whether this was an April fool, the picture came from a tweet from Steven Moffat at 12:53pm, so if he'd intended it as an April Fool, he missed the boat.
    Edited on 04/02/2012 12:54am

archangelwho

[35]Jul 7, 2012
    • level: 18

steamheaduk wrote:
    You know you'd think, criticising someone else for not doing their homework, you'd have done yours first ;-) By "number of episodes" (making adjustments considering a modern episode to be 2x an old one etc) ignoring "skits" like Time Crash and Music of the Spheres (they don't make enough difference) and counting Specials as 2x even though they ran a little longer (again doesn't make enough difference to change places). 172 Tom Baker (not including unaired Shada) 138 Jon Pertwee 134 William Hartnell (not including unaired Pilot) 119 Patrick Troughton 94 David Tennant
    85 Matt Smith (counting 14 to come in season 7 and assuming 50th Anniversary will be 90 minutes) 74 Peter Davison (5 Doctors counting as 4) 44 Colin Baker (season 22 was 13x45 minute format) 42 Sylvester McCoy (though he did 1 more season than Colin Baker they were much shorter than season 22) 26 Christopher Eccleston 3 Paul McGann (90 minutes counts as 3) Days in role as the "Current Doctor" (calculated either from first appearence to regeneration, or first appearence to first appearence of next Doctor where no regeneration was shown or started) 3214 Sylvester McCoy (kept role from end of classic series to return in the movie, and did do bits in between e.g. Dimensions In Time) 3196 Paul McGann (technically the current Doctor till the series relaunched) 2478 Tom Baker
    1658 David Tennant
    1617 Jon Pertwee 1422 Matt Smith (is confirmed at least to the 50th anniversary) 1270 Colin Baker (had an 18 month hiatus to lengthen his tenure) 1091 Peter Davison
    1071 William Hartnell
    966 Patrick Troughton 84 Christopher Eccleston Though Paul McGann's claim to 3196 days as being the current Doctor is a little tneuous, Syvester McCoy did 3 continuous seasons and then regenerated in a special after a hiatus with no new seasons of Doctor Who, in exactly the same way David Tennant did. So David Tennant is aguably the fourth, and certainly no higher than the 3rd longest actor in the role, and from an actual output produced perspective, no higher than 5th. Also if you want to count number of seasons, Tennant till finishes no higher than joint third behind Tom Baker (7) and Jon Pertwee (5) as he only did 3 seasons, along with Hartnell, Troughton, Davison, C.Baker, McCoy and Smith (up to the 50th).

You always do good work. I think the number of episodes is what we should go by. Because the breaks the numbers of days does not really shows us anything.

steamheaduk

[36]Jul 9, 2012
    archangelwho wrote:

Because the breaks the numbers of days does not really shows us anything.

Apart from how long they held the role of course ;-)

But yes, for me the adjusted episode count (i.e. 1 modern = 2 classic) is the true count of longevity, the reason I bought the "days in role" up was the original poster was incorrectly asserting that David was in second place after Tom for longest time in the role, and Matt would soon equal it, and yet Tom wasn't even in first place on that particular counting method.

archangelwho

[37]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 18

steamheaduk wrote:
    archangelwho wrote:

Because the breaks the numbers of days does not really shows us anything.

Apart from how long they held the role of course ;-) But yes, for me the adjusted episode count (i.e. 1 modern = 2 classic) is the true count of longevity, the reason I bought the "days in role" up was the original poster was incorrectly asserting that David was in second place after Tom for longest time in the role, and Matt would soon equal it, and yet Tom wasn't even in first place on that particular counting method.

There are a few of you on this site who needs to get together and write a book. The things you come up with just not out there.

Edited on 07/15/2012 4:50pm

steamheaduk

[39]Jul 30, 2012
    archangelwho wrote:

There are a few of you on this site who needs to get together and write a book. The things you come up with just not out there.

Ah if only I had the time, I don't even get much time on here any more.

With that in mind I've been remiss in getting new episode details on here. The first half of season 7 will look like this -

07_01 Asylum of the Daleks. Yes they're back, all of them, every type that the production crew could lay their hands on, and the new one's have had a few mods apparently. Rumoured air date 25th August.

07_02 Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. What more do you need to know.

07_03 A Town Called Mercy. The Doctor returns to the Wild Wild West, hopefully this time without toothache and a pianist.

07_04 Cubed (unconfirmed title). Strange little black cubes appear everywhere, and so do UNIT.

07_05 Angels in the Big Apple (entirely made up title). Apparently featuring the biggest baddest Angel you ever did see. Set in New York and features a tearful departure.

Christmas Special. Introducing Clara.

doctorWHO69

[40]Jul 30, 2012
    • level: 13
    Would the ''Biggest,baddest angel you ever did see'' Happen to be carrying a torch, and symbolise truth justice and the american way, by any chance? Not sure how i feel about that.It could be genius, or a shambles.

jwgrlrrajn

[41]Jul 31, 2012
    • level: 23
    Think about it. Someone, somewhere is always looking at that thing, whether it be people, birds, bugs, etc... It'd have to be pitch black for that thing to move around.