Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Series 7: News, Speculation, & Rumours (Spoilers)

  • Avatar of BillyHamilton0

    BillyHamilton0

    [63]Sep 30, 2012
    • member since: 10/21/09
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 13

    Jason57892 wrote:
    This series of DR is the worst of the new series. The show is all over the place with no these to it at all like in season 6. I hate the angel statue episodes because they are plain boring. This season the writers have catered to much to the US audience. They have lost what made them great. This season could be the last the way its going. They had better liven it up. Only episode 1 was any good. What has followed hasn't been that good at all. And is it only me but why so many tv shows these days have split seasons with a gap of a few months. A good fire way oflosing the audience and not that clever.


    This series is NOT the worst of the new series, series 6 was my least favorite (though it had a couple gems). This series is just a bit of a throwback to the earlier seasons of the new series, with less of a story arc, and more standalones. And I'm sure most people would disagree with you about the most brilliantly imagined new Doctor Who monster being boring, but that's obviously how you feel and I can't tell you like it lol.



    This episode had a positive impact on me for sure, but my only ponderance is why the Doctor couldn't visit Amy and Rory anymore. The tombstone made their new lives a fixed event, but the Tombstone only memorializes their deaths, not the events of their life. He could visit them and they could still die in the past. Besides, I liked the "if you read it, the it has to happen", but THEY were the ones writing and living it so it can't be written if it doesn't happen lol. Reading the book or seeing the tombstone is not what would make these events fixed, those objects and events exist whether they are read or not so reading them is only spoilers not prophecy. In fact, going by the logic of the episode, the Doctor would technically have been able to visit them if he hadn't read the afterword, Amelias's final farewell didn't have to be to the Doctor at all. But whatever, I can still give all of this a pass because it was all very emotional, kept my attention, and did follow its own logic (whether it holds water or not) and I still loved it =p

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dragon22a

    dragon22a

    [64]Oct 2, 2012
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 2,044
    BillyHamilton0 wrote:

    Jason57892 wrote:
    This series of DR is the worst of the new series. The show is all over the place with no these to it at all like in season 6. I hate the angel statue episodes because they are plain boring. This season the writers have catered to much to the US audience. They have lost what made them great. This season could be the last the way its going. They had better liven it up. Only episode 1 was any good. What has followed hasn't been that good at all. And is it only me but why so many tv shows these days have split seasons with a gap of a few months. A good fire way oflosing the audience and not that clever.


    This series is NOT the worst of the new series, series 6 was my least favorite (though it had a couple gems). This series is just a bit of a throwback to the earlier seasons of the new series, with less of a story arc, and more standalones. And I'm sure most people would disagree with you about the most brilliantly imagined new Doctor Who monster being boring, but that's obviously how you feel and I can't tell you like it lol.



    This episode had a positive impact on me for sure, but my only ponderance is why the Doctor couldn't visit Amy and Rory anymore. The tombstone made their new lives a fixed event, but the Tombstone only memorializes their deaths, not the events of their life. He could visit them and they could still die in the past. Besides, I liked the "if you read it, the it has to happen", but THEY were the ones writing and living it so it can't be written if it doesn't happen lol. Reading the book or seeing the tombstone is not what would make these events fixed, those objects and events exist whether they are read or not so reading them is only spoilers not prophecy. In fact, going by the logic of the episode, the Doctor would technically have been able to visit them if he hadn't read the afterword, Amelias's final farewell didn't have to be to the Doctor at all. But whatever, I can still give all of this a pass because it was all very emotional, kept my attention, and did follow its own logic (whether it holds water or not) and I still loved it =p



    The Doctor said that because of the events of the episode, there were still too many temporal schisms and ruptures in NY at the time they were sent, he said that he could never bring the Tardis back there or it would possibly rip NY apart. However, River has the vortex manipulator which seems to be able to reach them which is how she will bring them the book to publish.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dragon22a

    dragon22a

    [65]Dec 15, 2012
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 2,044

    According to the BBC Doctor Who website, the TARDIS will have a new interior starting with the Christmas special. My guess is that it will be explained as The Doctor changing the look because the old one reminded him of Amy and Rory. So far only a small look at what appears to be the top of the time rotor has been shown. As far as I can remember this is the first time that an incarnation has had two different interiors since Tom Baker.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [66]Dec 17, 2012
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,250

    dragon22a wrote:


    As far as I can remember this is the first time that an incarnation has had two different interiors since Tom Baker.



    Peter Davison had two very distinctly different interiors as he went from the "old style" console, to the more modern computerised console from the Five Doctors onwards.


    The Christmas special also sports new opening credits and a new theme too.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dragon22a

    dragon22a

    [67]Dec 17, 2012
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 2,044

    steamheaduk wrote:


    dragon22a wrote:


    As far as I can remember this is the first time that an incarnation has had two different interiors since Tom Baker.



    Peter Davison had two very distinctly different interiors as he went from the "old style" console, to the more modern computerised console from the Five Doctors onwards.


    The Christmas special also sports new opening credits and a new theme too.




    You're right about the 5th Doctor. Come to think of it, the 7th Doctor can be said to have had two different interiors. He had the one during his tenure in the main series and he also had the steampunk console room from the tv movie, though he only appeared for a few scenes before turning it over to the 8th Doctor.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dragon22a

    dragon22a

    [68]Dec 19, 2012
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 2,044

    The first full picture of the new Tardis is online at the BBC website. I really like this one, it seems to be more tech based than the previous 2 interiors which had all those random objects included. The new interior actually reminds me of the console rooms from the original series. Maybe this will reflect a Doctor who is more serious after the loss of his companions.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cross_mr

    cross_mr

    [69]Dec 25, 2012
    • member since: 07/26/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 226
    Gislef wrote:
    TOCM19 wrote:
    No discussion threads for the last 2 episodes? Oh dear I miss this place.

    Also, i'm currently sobbing like a tiny baby girl.


    There's a pinned thread at the near-top of the forum explaining where discussion threads are...


    Yes and it's a very poor decision. This attempt to force discussion off the discussion forum is killing episode discussions site-wide. It makes no logical sense, people can go to a single page and find all the discussions easily on the forums, instead they have to hunt and peck through various episode pages and shows which used to generate tons of discussion now generated nothing or maybe 1 or 2 comments. It's quite possibly the stupidest thing TV.com has tried to do and is increasingly contributing to the reason why I come to this site less and less.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jwgrlrrajn

    jwgrlrrajn

    [70]Dec 26, 2012
    • member since: 07/14/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,915
    ^^ This.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [71]Dec 30, 2012
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,250

    Yep, this forum is just missing the Tumbleweed blowing through it now... It used to be an area of lively discussion, but now you can't see the episode discussion's here it makes it impossible to see when people are making any comments about any episodes. OK you can go and look at the latest episode to see if someone has commented, but most series will generate comments across a range of episodes at any one time due to international viewing dates, DVD release etc. And without trawling through every episode thread you can't see where the current active conversation or queries are, all focus has gone for the community.


    I used to regularly post new series news as I got it, and it would generate comments and queries, but I've noticed since the advent of the episode threads being moved to the episode guide, less and less people are coming here and reacting to any posts that anyone makes.


    It would have made much more sense for the guide editor to be able to "pin" threads specific to an individual episode into the relevant episode or episodes in the episode guide (since sometimes an episode is referred to in more than one thread e.g. individual episode, plus arc discussions).

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jwgrlrrajn

    jwgrlrrajn

    [72]Dec 30, 2012
    • member since: 07/14/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,915

    I wonder if they'd let us make unofficial episode discussion threads?


    EDIT: Apparently not. I guess we'll just have to live with this dumb-butt episode comments business.

    Edited on 12/31/2012 3:28pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AllanHarvey1

    AllanHarvey1

    [73]Jan 3, 2013
    • member since: 06/19/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 8

    Does anyone know when the next episode airs ?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [74]Jan 4, 2013
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,250

    AllanHarvey1 wrote:


    Does anyone know when the next episode airs ?



    Latest estimate is April, but we won't get a confirmed date until 2 weeks before. Usually it comes back on Easter Saturday, but that would make it 30th of March this year.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of micaba

    micaba

    [75]Feb 20, 2013
    • member since: 05/27/09
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 10

    dragon22a wrote:
    BillyHamilton0 wrote:


    Jason57892 wrote:
    This series of DR is the worst of the new series. The show is all over the place with no these to it at all like in season 6. I hate the angel statue episodes because they are plain boring. This season the writers have catered to much to the US audience. They have lost what made them great. This season could be the last the way its going. They had better liven it up. Only episode 1 was any good. What has followed hasn't been that good at all. And is it only me but why so many tv shows these days have split seasons with a gap of a few months. A good fire way oflosing the audience and not that clever.


    This series is NOT the worst of the new series, series 6 was my least favorite (though it had a couple gems). This series is just a bit of a throwback to the earlier seasons of the new series, with less of a story arc, and more standalones. And I'm sure most people would disagree with you about the most brilliantly imagined new Doctor Who monster being boring, but that's obviously how you feel and I can't tell you like it lol.



    This episode had a positive impact on me for sure, but my only ponderance is why the Doctor couldn't visit Amy and Rory anymore. The tombstone made their new lives a fixed event, but the Tombstone only memorializes their deaths, not the events of their life. He could visit them and they could still die in the past. Besides, I liked the "if you read it, the it has to happen", but THEY were the ones writing and living it so it can't be written if it doesn't happen lol. Reading the book or seeing the tombstone is not what would make these events fixed, those objects and events exist whether they are read or not so reading them is only spoilers not prophecy. In fact, going by the logic of the episode, the Doctor would technically have been able to visit them if he hadn't read the afterword, Amelias's final farewell didn't have to be to the Doctor at all. But whatever, I can still give all of this a pass because it was all very emotional, kept my attention, and did follow its own logic (whether it holds water or not) and I still loved it =p


    The Doctor said that because of the events of the episode, there were still too many temporal schisms and ruptures in NY at the time they were sent, he said that he could never bring the Tardis back there or it would possibly rip NY apart. However, River has the vortex manipulator which seems to be able to reach them which is how she will bring them the book to publish.

    1.River has the vortex manipulator which seems to be able to reach them which is how she will bring them the book to publish
    2.and why cant he trawell 3 or 4 years earlier and then stay ther until 3 yaer pasess and so avoiding to travel in the exact time and avoid the temporal schisms and ruptures in NY..

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jwgrlrrajn

    jwgrlrrajn

    [76]Feb 27, 2013
    • member since: 07/14/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,915
    That would be the slow path. You know how crazy that drives him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Gully_Foyle

    Gully_Foyle

    [77]May 13, 2013
    • member since: 11/20/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12

    It appears that copies of the last episode of season 7 are already out in the wild. The BBC has reported that it mistakenly sent out copies of the DVD's to customers in America to some people will already have seen the season finale

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [78]May 19, 2013
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,201

    Gully_Foyle wrote:


    It appears that copies of the last episode of season 7 are already out in the wild. The BBC has reported that it mistakenly sent out copies of the DVD's to customers in America to some people will already have seen the season finale


    See the post "Must do the right thing" per my interaction with the BBC per the release.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [79]Jun 17, 2013
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,201

    The bonus features on the Snowman and season 7 part 2 has to be the worst of any Doctor Who release.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.