Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Series 8/50th Anniversary News, Speculation, & Rumours (Spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 19, 2013
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general news, spoilers, speculation, etc. for series 8+ here. That would include any post-season 7 50th anniversary news and discussion.

Basically, if it's about stuff that hasn't aired yet, and there isn't an episode discussion thread, it goes here.

Links and discussion of online polls, petitions, surveys, conventions and other "offline" things also go here.

Thanks!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jwgrlrrajn

[2]May 19, 2013
    • level: 23
    First!

Well, I would love to see what they're going to do with this new Doctor who "broke the promise." My question is whether it's going to be limited to the 50th anniversary special, or if it's going to be a season long thing.

chaos_789

[3]May 20, 2013
    • level: 2
    One thing I noticed is they never left the time stream yet, so will the special take place in the time stream, I don`t see how the new doctor would leave the time stream anyway, and we also know the 10th is back so maybe. Some people believe the new Doctor is really the 9th, but he did something so horrible that the doctor discredits him, and counts Eccleston`s doctor was as the 9th, but he was really the 10th. That`s the most common rumor.

One thing I did notice from the season finale, Clara said she saw all 11 forms of the doctor, and that time stream was supposed to be all of the Doctors life after he died, but Clara said 11 doctors, which would mean 11 is the last number, so is Matt Smith the finale doctor or will they address this later in season 8 or the special.

jwgrlrrajn

[4]May 20, 2013
    Maybe it's because the future doctors haven't happened yet? Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey...

beowulf579

[5]May 22, 2013
    • level: 59
    Question about how The Doctor ages...does he age like a normal person? I don't mean anything about regeneration but let's say that Matt Smith's Doctor doesn't "die" for a long time and we could see the Doctor 30 years in the future, would he have aged 30 years or still look like young fresh Matt Smith?

I ask because I was reading some theories about the John Hurt Doctor and how he is so much older than what we are used to. Meaning, since the new show began..with every regeneration the Doctor seems to be younger that the previous. We all have to admit that John Hurt doesn't fit into that scheme unless he started out young and just aged to the way we just saw him.

Hope I made sense with this, never easy trying to lay out a good thought when it involves Dr. Who.

jwgrlrrajn

[6]May 22, 2013
    Keep in mind, the third Doctor (Pertwee) looked significantly older than the second Doctor (Troughton). So, while we do have Doctors that seem younger than their direct predecessor, we also have Doctors that seem older.

Mew_Mokuba

[7]May 25, 2013
    • level: 17

beowulf579 wrote:
    Question about how The Doctor ages...does he age like a normal person? I don't mean anything about regeneration but let's say that Matt Smith's Doctor doesn't "die" for a long time and we could see the Doctor 30 years in the future, would he have aged 30 years or still look like young fresh Matt Smith? I ask because I was reading some theories about the John Hurt Doctor and how he is so much older than what we are used to. Meaning, since the new show began..with every regeneration the Doctor seems to be younger that the previous. We all have to admit that John Hurt doesn't fit into that scheme unless he started out young and just aged to the way we just saw him. Hope I made sense with this, never easy trying to lay out a good thought when it involves Dr. Who.

Season 6 Episode 1 answered that question for you! Re-watch The Impossible Astronaut. You see the doctor as he always is. However as Amy, Rory and River talk with him, the Doctor mentions that he's 1103 years old. Amy notes that the last time he mentioned his age, he was 908. So I think that answers the question as he didn't appear older being the when we saw him he looked good for being a whole 195 years older than the version we later meet back at the diner.

jwgrlrrajn

[8]May 26, 2013
    Keep in mind, Time Lords age a little differently than most people. The first Doctor was approximately 450 years old when he regenerated due to old age. Also, I believe I remember 10th saying something about visiting some place when he was 80 or so, going on to say he was just a teenager at the time (don't quote me on that).

The problem we have here is that we don't really see the Doctor age on screen because he regenerates before we really notice any aging. So, for all we know, 11th won't start aging until his current regeneration's age (195, give or take) matches his physical appearance (note that Time Lords don't regenerate into babies).

chaos_789

[9]May 28, 2013
    Don`t forget the season 3 finale, they had the doctor age rapidly, about 900 years, and in that episode it is also mentioned the average lifespan of a timelord, is 900 years without regenerating. (although they reversed the aging effect, it was all made clear in that episode.)

beowulf579

[10]May 28, 2013
    Thank you all for the assist. I watched a little Dr. Who when I was a kid in the 80's and only started to watch it again off and on during the "Pond" episodes. Now I'm a full timer but a bit lost on certain little things like this.

Another question and it revolves around River Song.

Exactly how much time has the Doctor and her actually spent together? With my limited knowledge it seems like very very little. Heck, it seems like he has spent more actual time with Clara than River.
    I know that their unique story is a bit timeline wierd but by the time of River's actual death...how much time did her and the Doctor spend together.

dragon22a

[11]May 29, 2013
    • level: 32

beowulf579 wrote:
    Thank you all for the assist. I watched a little Dr. Who when I was a kid in the 80's and only started to watch it again off and on during the "Pond" episodes. Now I'm a full timer but a bit lost on certain little things like this. Another question and it revolves around River Song. Exactly how much time has the Doctor and her actually spent together? With my limited knowledge it seems like very very little. Heck, it seems like he has spent more actual time with Clara than River. I know that their unique story is a bit timeline wierd but by the time of River's actual death...how much time did her and the Doctor spend together.

There are many stories involving River that we have not seen. After she was put into Stormcage The Doctor would visit her often, or she would escape and meet him,and they would go on adventures. A special feature on the season 6 DVDwas First Night/Last Night. These two little scenes showed River at multiple points in her timelineon dates with the Doctor. Last Night also showed River and the Doctor on theirway to see the Singing Towers on Darillium which is the final date she and the Doctor go on before she goes to the Library.

Interesting to note is that the Doctor in these scenes is Matt Smith's meaning that he is the Doctor to take River to Darillium, knowing what is to come. Given the Doctor's sadbehavior in The Name of the Doctor with regards to River, I am guessing that this has already happened for him and that he is facing the fact that he may not have much time, if any, left with River.

jwgrlrrajn

[12]Jun 2, 2013
    Some sad news...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/06/01/the-next-regeneration-matt-smith-to-leave-doctor-who/

beowulf579

[13]Jun 3, 2013
    Nooooooo!

As one commentor mentioned, after 4 years it's right on time

But now who will become the doctor? I'm kind of leaning that they will finally make the Doctor a girl. Perhaps a ginger girl?!

I can't imagine it being John Hurt's Doctor unless it's going to be a departure from the series by having a very morally dark Doctor. Wouldn't that be a awesome 6 episode story arc?

jwgrlrrajn

[14]Jun 6, 2013
    I would love a darker Doctor. But it would have to draw some similarities from Eccleston's Doctor. You can't have a completely dark Doctor because that's not who he's supposed to be, but you can have a dichotomous approach in which the Doctor is tough as nails, but there are moments where it's incredibly obvious that he cares. Also, like 9th, you could have him sort of look down on humans (9th referred to them as "stupid apes" a couple of times), but at the same time still consider them amazing regardless.

Gosh, I miss 9th. It's too bad Eccleston doesn't want to do the part anymore. I would have loved getting at least one more season out of him. (10th and 11th still tie as my favorite, but I really miss 9th's unique approach to the character)

chaos_789

[15]Jun 7, 2013
    Has it ever been confirmed if the doctor can change gender, as I am thinking they (Timelords) can`t change genders. I also really don`t like the idea of him changing gender. I know the doctor when he regenerated, he first said he was a girl, but I put that up to the normal post regeneration ramble

steamheaduk

[16]Jun 8, 2013
    • level: 19

chaos_789 wrote:
    Has it ever been confirmed if the doctor can change gender, as I am thinking they (Timelords) can`t change genders. I also really don`t like the idea of him changing gender. I know the doctor when he regenerated, he first said he was a girl, but I put that up to the normal post regeneration ramble

In The Doctor's Wife he talks about The Corsair a famous Timelord who did change genders. Which doesn't necessarily mean The Doctor can, as trans-gender regeneration may be a condition akin to Trans-Genderism in Humans, i.e. not the norm but not impossible. We don't know enough context to know for sure, but we certainly know it is possible.

archangelwho

[17]Jun 8, 2013
    • level: 18

[QUOTE="jwgrlrrajn"]Some sad news... http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/06/01/the-next-regeneration-matt-smith-to-leave-doctor-who/[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling his time was getting short. I just hope they stay with the storyline with his replacement and become PC. If they want a female or black or even a gay black female Timelord I could care less just make him, she, himshe to be a student type of the Doctor. The Doctor is coming to the end of his lives so we will need a replace soon any way.

Edited on 06/08/2013 9:20am

dragon22a

[18]Jun 12, 2013
    • level: 32

It's possible that a timelord can change gender during regeneration through conscious effort. When Romana was regenerating she was able to choose her form, this was a skill that timelords learned at the academy. I am guessing that the Corsair learned this skill during his schooling and it allowed him to change his gender when he regenerated. The Doctor though was, according to Romana and by his own admission, horrible at school. Because to this The Doctor has never learned how to control his rengenerations and likely would not be able to change his gender.

The fact that we are getting a new Doctor certainly changes any thoughts or predictions about the 8th series because most would be based on the personality of the 11th Doctor.

As for who the new Doctor will be, you can never really predict who they'll choose. There have been so many names going around and who knows if any of them will get the job. Given that Matt Smith was so young maybe they will go with an older Doctor with someone in his 40's. They usually go with an unknown or lesser known actorso that actorcan take the role without carrying baggage of his past roles with him. Idris Elba for instance has had success in both TV and movies so is likely too big a name now to take on the role.Tom Hiddleston, like Elba, is a great actor but is now too well identified as Loki after Thor and The Avengers. Even Benedict Cumberbatch, who was once in the running for the 11th Doctor, is too well known now after Sherlock and Star Trek: Into Darkness.

As I have suggested before, I have been a fan of Steve Valentine since his work on Crossing Jordan and think that he has the right look for the role. There is also Douglas Henshall who was in the early seasons of Primeval, he seems like he would be a good choice.

jwgrlrrajn

[19]Jun 15, 2013
    archangelwho wrote:

The Doctor is coming to the end of his lives so we will need a replace soon any way.

According to Moffat, the Doctor will regenerate as long as the show continues. All the Doctor has to say is, "Thanks to the Time War, the old regeneration rules no longer apply." Not even worth wasting five minutes of dialogue on.

steamheaduk

[20]Jun 15, 2013
    • level: 19

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    archangelwho wrote:

The Doctor is coming to the end of his lives so we will need a replace soon any way.

According to Moffat, the Doctor will regenerate as long as the show continues. All the Doctor has to say is, "Thanks to the Time War, the old regeneration rules no longer apply." Not even worth wasting five minutes of dialogue on.

VERY MUCH worth valuing 5 minutes on. There's no point establishing a rule in the mythology of a character if you are going to entirely ignore it, especially in this 50th Anniversary year which is supposed to be respecting the entire history of the show.

I agree it doesn't need much to honour it, just a single line may be enough, but a concept firmly established across multiple stories should not be ignored.

As it is, if John Hurt is indeed an earlier incarnation of The Doctor (if not by name) then the Doctor is now out of regenerations. Without assistance Timelords are able to generate 12 portions of regenerative energy. So we have the obvious 10 giving us Doctors 2 to 11, plus the one in Journey's End which created Meta Crisis Doctor (they had a very specific line in there about diverting the remaining energy into the hand, confirming a full "portion" of energy had been expended) and then the so far unseen regeneration that gave us Hurt's incarnation.

There's plenty of ways it could have been done, additional "gifts" to fight the Time War being the obvious one, but it does need an on screen acknowledgement of some kind.