Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

So why does the BBC change Doctor Who's producers and lead actor?

Bionetic

[1]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 8

Why is Russell T Davies leaving Doctor Who? I read his wiki and I got the impression it was because he got a promotion, is that right?

Also, why is David Tennant leaving? Is it because Steven Moffat wants to present his version of Doctor Who?

What happened to Christopher Eccleston? Why did he leave the role of Doctor Who?

Is there any background info behind each cast and crew members leaving. Rumors are invitied to. I tried the wiki's, but I'm wondering if there's more info that I don't know about.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marwig

[2]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 3

I dont why Russell T Davies is leaving Doctor Who. I think David Tennant is leaving because he wants to go back to doing Shakespeare. Christopher Eccleston left Doctor Who because he didnt want to do it long term in case he got typecast. I think Steven Moffat will want to present his own version of Doctor Who so some characters will not return or might do special appearances.

minisin

[3]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 14
    9's leaving has got lots of rumours surrounding it, and as far as I'm aware nothing has been officialy confirmed, and probably never will be.
    IMO I feel 9 was always going to leave after one year, most likely to get the new audience (Who were Regeneration-Virgins) into the idea of changing the lead character, and they wanted to do this early, as to not confuse fans after years of one actor.

David left because he feels his time has come. He has often stated how much he enjoys his job, and he left on good terms, whilst he was still at his best, and still enjoying his work.

The basic fact of things is, the Doctor changing is a Constant factor of the show. As for RTD leaving, I am not sure, maybe he feels he's written all he can, and so its time to stand down. I beleive he is now going to try and "Crack America".

All I can say is I have great faith in all the new staff (As I had faith in the old staff) and I am certain they will do a smashing job to produce "Their" version of Doctor Who.

S-Shield

[4]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 21
    I saw an interview with Tennant where he says he almost kicked himself for leaving when he heard Moffat was taking over, and then after he heard what Moffat has planned for this next season, he actually starting wondering if he could change his mind, but decided it was probably best to stick to the plan. I definitely got the sense that Ten's last words on screen echo Tennant's feelings as well.

minisin

[5]Jan 10, 2010
    • level: 14
    I thought Moffat taking over has been common knowledge for at least a year and a half?
    When was it Tennant announced his leaving at the end of the specials?

I do feel Tennant was happy with his choice about leaving, and though he may have had doubts, he never seriously considered changing his mind.

thetruesora

[6]Jan 10, 2010
    • level: 22
    I'm certain Tennant officially announced his leaving at an awards show. Can't remember when that was but i'm rather sure it was after Moffat's take over was announced.

archangelwho

[7]Jan 10, 2010
    • level: 18
    This is one of the great thing about Doctor Who. It can be new and stay on the story line we all enjoy at the same time. This is what has kept it going all these years. I hard it that David is leaving as much as I did when Davison left. The next team may gve us the C. Baker years but they may give us the T. Baker years. That what make this the greatest show ever.

S-Shield

[8]Jan 10, 2010
    • level: 21
    That's what I mean. Between the time Tennant made up his mind to leave and before he announced it, he found out Moffat was taking over, and he said he starting second-guessing his decision, but decided it was for the best.

pferreira86

[9]Jan 10, 2010
    • level: 17
    minisin wrote:
    9's leaving has got lots of rumours surrounding it, and as far as I'm aware nothing has been officialy confirmed, and probably never will be. IMO I feel 9 was always going to leave after one year, most likely to get the new audience (Who were Regeneration-Virgins) into the idea of changing the lead character, and they wanted to do this early, as to not confuse fans after years of one actor. David left because he feels his time has come. He has often stated how much he enjoys his job, and he left on good terms, whilst he was still at his best, and still enjoying his work.
    The reason Doctor no 9 left is because he couldn't bare to be away from his family so long shooting the series. The whole typecast excuse was his agent responding too quickly without consulting the actor first.

_Islander_

[10]Jan 10, 2010
    • level: 31
    pferreira86 wrote:
    minisin wrote:
    9's leaving has got lots of rumours surrounding it, and as far as I'm aware nothing has been officialy confirmed, and probably never will be. IMO I feel 9 was always going to leave after one year, most likely to get the new audience (Who were Regeneration-Virgins) into the idea of changing the lead character, and they wanted to do this early, as to not confuse fans after years of one actor. David left because he feels his time has come. He has often stated how much he enjoys his job, and he left on good terms, whilst he was still at his best, and still enjoying his work.
    The reason Doctor no 9 left is because he couldn't bare to be away from his family so long shooting the series. The whole typecast excuse was his agent responding too quickly without consulting the actor first.

I'd be interested if you could find a source to back that up...

steamheaduk

[11]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 19
    Well historically the lead actor of the original series (William Hartnell) found it difficult to carry on due to ill health. But at this time Doctor Who (though more specifically the Daleks) had become an unexpected phenomenon for the BBC, with rampant "Dalekmania" spawning tons of merchandising and even two films.

Not wanting to lose their cash cow the BBC experimented with the concept of regeneration, effectively rewriting the series with a new leading man and quite different character. They threw in 12 Dalek episodes into his first season just to be sure and deemed the process a success.

This meant the BBC now had an unusual property that could "reinvent itself" every few years as needs must, so as well as changing lead actors, this also lead to changing production teams as well, each putting their own spin on how they think the series should be - some with more success than others.

Reasons for leaving vary over the years, William Hartnell due to ill health, Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee when they'd had enough, Tom Baker was kind of frozen out by the new producers as he enjoyed a lot of creative input before JNT arrived, Peter Davison left when he'd had enough, Colin Baker was sacked, Sylvester McCoy had the show cancelled on him and Paul McGann didn't get his version of the show picked up.

We never really got a good reason for Eccleston's departure, I suspect it was a mixture of many things, i.e. deliberately only doing one to introduce the regeneration concept, known name to launch the series but too expensive to continue, typecasting avoidance, long hours etc. Though I suspect as there have been no post role appearances in episodes of Confidential (at least recorded post role), and no interviews explaining his departure that there was some animosity involved. Though that might be as a result of his agent blowing the departure secret after the first episode was broadcast (unless that in itself was retaliation). This is all speculation and I suspect we won't find out for a long time to come.

David's departure is quite well documented, he loves the job, but wants to leave while it's not "just a job". Possibly aware of criticisms Tom Baker got towards the end of his tenure that he has stayed too long - "sometimes a Timelord lives too long".

RTD is now phenomenally busy. Doctor Who took a lot of his time, and added to that he has Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood. He's moving on from Who but remaining involved in the other two, presumably because he gets "Creator" credit on the other two they are worth more to him from a career perspective.

archangelwho

[12]Jan 16, 2010
    • level: 18
    I would have to go back and re-watch the interview but it seen that C. E. lead one to believe from his interview on the season 1 DVD box set that he did not feel that he would be on the show long term. I know I felt that from what he said he was telling every one that he most likely would not made it pass season 2. I know after watching it I was no surprise that he had left.

pferreira86

[13]Jan 17, 2010
    steamheaduk wrote:
    We never really got a good reason for Eccleston's departure, I suspect it was a mixture of many things, i.e. deliberately only doing one to introduce the regeneration concept, known name to launch the series but too expensive to continue, typecasting avoidance, long hours etc. Though I suspect as there have been no post role appearances in episodes of Confidential (at least recorded post role), and no interviews explaining his departure that there was some animosity involved. Though that might be as a result of his agent blowing the departure secret after the first episode was broadcast (unless that in itself was retaliation).
    But didn't the agent saying Eccleston wanted to avoid being typecast annoy the actor as this was untrue?

steamheaduk

[14]Jan 18, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:
    But didn't the agent saying Eccleston wanted to avoid being typecast annoy the actor as this was untrue?

I don't know, did it? That's entirely the point, we have heard differing reports from differing sources of reason and reaction, but what we haven't had is Eccleston actually make a candid on camera statement post departure about his reasons for leaving and his feelings about it. Which is what makes me think something somewhere went a little wrong.

pferreira86

[15]Jan 24, 2010
    steamheaduk wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    I don't know, did it? That's entirely the point, we have heard differing reports from differing sources of reason and reaction, but what we haven't had is Eccleston actually make a candid on camera statement post departure about his reasons for leaving and his feelings about it. Which is what makes me think something somewhere went a little wrong.
    So what do you think went wrong steamheaduk?

steamheaduk

[16]Jan 25, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:
    So what do you think went wrong steamheaduk?

I have to say I don't really have a clue, to say how "leaky" the Doctor Who office has been over plot lines over the past few years, it surprises me that no "real story" has emerged as to the departure.

What we do know is he was enthusiastic to play the part because of Russell's involvement, and was seen in various video clips on the BBC Website and in Confidential, confirming this.

However, POST departure announcements we see NO video clips of him talking about why he only did one season. The final Confidential of the 2005 season is a stark contrast to the End of Time confidentials. The only interview footage of Chris being character background stuff, which made no real reference to his departure, so could have been recorded at any point in production. And Chris has not appeared in any subsequent Confidentials either.

So it looks somewhere along the line the relationship has definitely been soured. So whilst not wanting to be typecast might have been one of his decisions for wanting to leave, that doesn't explain the absence of any post departure interview.

It may be that the souring of the relationship is what caused him to want to leave (whatever that may be), or that the leaving was entirely preplanned and amicable and the timing of the agent's announcement (i.e. right after the first episode aired) was the thing that soured the relationship so Chris was either not invited back to comment, or the relationship between the Producers and the agent deteriorated so Chris couldn't come back to comment. Though if it was just the agent/producer relationship, you would have expected something more to have come out since through other channels.

pferreira86

[17]Feb 1, 2010

I believe Chris announced he was leaving after the first episode of the new series (Rose) was aired. He still had to film for a couple of episodes including his regeneration. Do you think they made any effort at this time to try to make him change his mind?

Perhaps his not wanting to talk about the series in interviews is because he feels not enough time has passed between him leaving the role in 2005 and the series now.

thetruesora

[18]Feb 1, 2010
    • level: 22
    as already stated it was Chris' agent that was the one who announced Chris was leaving after Rose aired.

steamheaduk

[19]Feb 4, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:

I believe Chris announced he was leaving after the first episode of the new series (Rose) was aired. He still had to film for a couple of episodes including his regeneration. Do you think they made any effort at this time to try to make him change his mind?

Perhaps his not wanting to talk about the series in interviews is because he feels not enough time has passed between him leaving the role in 2005 and the series now.

When Rose was transmitted on the 26th of March Chris's half of the regeneration had already been filmed, with David's sequences being filmed in April.

I could understand him not wanting to do any Who related work AFTER it had all been transmitted, but that doesn't explain why there are no interviews with him talking about why he chose to leave so soon in the confidentials that went out WITH the series.

Samuel2484

[20]Feb 4, 2010
    • level: 16
    To make it fresh, minty fresh!