Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

The 13th Doctor

  • Avatar of _Islander_

    _Islander_

    [21]Jul 20, 2007
    • member since: 04/25/05
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 2,489
    whovion1 wrote:
    You really don't research your facts do you?

    Maybe not quite an attack, but very, very close, especially as it's so blatently untrue. Just touched a raw nerve.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [22]Jul 20, 2007
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,251

    _Islander_ wrote:
    whovion1 wrote:
    You really don't research your facts do you?
    Maybe not quite an attack, but very, very close, especially as it's so blatently untrue. Just touched a raw nerve.

    Yes but I took that in the context of the fact that the early part of the post made it very clear there was a misunderstanding of my post. In so far as Whovian took it that I was saying new series wasn't affected by the old, at which point all of the points he/she made being absent from my argument would have been fair game, except of course Whovian was actually making the very same point I was.

    However, being as there was only one fact (not facts) in my posting, about the Valeyard, which was of course 100% correct, the criticism was pretty much invalid as most people spotted, and it didn't paint me in a bad light, just Whovian, so I wasn't bothered or offended by it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LMH68

    LMH68

    [23]Jul 20, 2007
    • member since: 08/23/06
    • level: 57
    • rank: Mr Biggles
    • posts: 2,442
    super_snotling wrote:
    Hmm, didn't realise you also have a knowledge of all things Trek. It's a shame Lin frequents these boards as well, or I may be tempted to enlist your help in round 2 of her quiz. But I'm an honest bunny, and I would never do such a thing. Honest.


    *sends out spy-lamb to lurk among the bunnies to make there is nothing untoward going on*
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of super_snotling

    super_snotling

    [24]Jul 20, 2007
    • member since: 03/15/07
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 3,235
    LMH68 wrote:
    super_snotling wrote:
    Hmm, didn't realise you also have a knowledge of all things Trek. It's a shame Lin frequents these boards as well, or I may be tempted to enlist your help in round 2 of her quiz. But I'm an honest bunny, and I would never do such a thing. Honest.


    *sends out spy-lamb to lurk among the bunnies to make there is nothing untoward going on*


    Erm, I wasn't here, it wasn't me that said that, it was um, er, that is, um BYEEEEE!!!! *runs away*
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of whovion1

    whovion1

    [25]Jul 20, 2007
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 69
    I would just like to thank steamheaduk for saying that my posting was not a personal attack on him just a misunderstanding on the way he worded his post. I would like to add however that the classic series and the present run in conjuntion with eachother, otherwise you wouldn't have Sarah Jane Smith coming back. Infact steamheaduk does have a wealth of knowledge about the classic series and as he said in an earlier post we both would welcome the return of the Valeyard which is what the subject of this post is about. (The 13th Doctor)but the big question is would it fit in with Russell T Davies's plans. We will have to wait and see won't we
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ootsdemons

    ootsdemons

    [26]Jul 24, 2007
    • member since: 07/14/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 110
    whovion1 wrote:
    I disagree with you SteamheadUK regarding what you say about the new series of Doctor Who having noeffect with the old series. If that was the case it wouldn't have started off with Doctor's 9 & 10. It would have started off with Doctor 1. Also you had a story with Sarah Jane andDoctor NO 10 mentioned in Ep 11 Series 2 that he was a Dad once.You really don't research your facts do you? A good example of an original series and a sequel is with Star Trek & Star Trek Next Generation. The Mirror Universe for example was started in Star Trek and continued in STNG plus the other 3 spin off'sI think both the old and the new complement each other. Mind you I do appreciate what you say about the Valeyard being a possibility in the new series. We'll just have to wait and see. If he does return I hope he's played by the fantastic Michael Jayston


    I agree completely
    where was the attack??
    it just opinion
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [27]Jul 24, 2007
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,251

    ootsdemons wrote:
    whovion1 wrote:
    I disagree with you SteamheadUK regarding what you say about the new series of Doctor Who having noeffect with the old series. If that was the case it wouldn't have started off with Doctor's 9 & 10. It would have started off with Doctor 1. Also you had a story with Sarah Jane andDoctor NO 10 mentioned in Ep 11 Series 2 that he was a Dad once.You really don't research your facts do you? A good example of an original series and a sequel is with Star Trek & Star Trek Next Generation. The Mirror Universe for example was started in Star Trek and continued in STNG plus the other 3 spin off'sI think both the old and the new complement each other. Mind you I do appreciate what you say about the Valeyard being a possibility in the new series. We'll just have to wait and see. If he does return I hope he's played by the fantastic Michael Jayston
    I agree completely where was the attack?? it just opinion

    Well actually there was an attack on my voracity of research, it wasn't just opinion. Which was understandable given the evident misunderstanding, but still an attack never the less. I just chose not to take it as one given it was based on an incorrect assumption of what I was saying.

    But then of course you do have a track record yourself of not being able to see the difference between "carefully structured opinion and criticism" and just plain old bile - don't you Dregi?

    I really don't understand you, if you really don't like something so much, why do you keep watching it? And why do you keep coming back using different IDs (your old ones still appear active) and then plainly using the same modus operandi every time? This is not an attack, I'm generally interested to understand what you get out of it? Is your life so unfulfilling that you have to watch things you don't like, is there nothing you do like to take up your time? I know I don't have time to waste on things I don't like.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of _Islander_

    _Islander_

    [28]Jul 24, 2007
    • member since: 04/25/05
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 2,489
    steamheaduk wrote:
    And why do you keep coming back using different IDs (your old ones still appear active)...

    Though they appear active, they are in fact not. Just as this one won't be soon .
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ContinuumVortex

    ContinuumVortex

    [29]Jul 24, 2007
    • member since: 04/08/07
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 1,176
    steamheaduk wrote:

    super_snotling wrote:
    Also Steam is the font of all things Who.

    Except maybe anything to do with Peter Davison, can't say I've watched many of his more than once, due to the general format of the series at that time (and the twice weekly evening slot didn't help I must say). I would say LMH or NHUBI could give me a fair run on that.

    I'm pretty good from peter davison on aswell since davison was where i came into it and it's one of my personal fave eras

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of nhubi

    nhubi

    [30]Jul 25, 2007
    • member since: 10/18/06
    • level: 48
    • rank: Conehead
    • posts: 3,058
    ContinuumVortex wrote:
    steamheaduk wrote:
    ]

    Except maybe anything to do with Peter Davison, can't say I've watched many of his more than once, due to the general format of the series at that time (and the twice weekly evening slot didn't help I must say). I would say LMH or NHUBI could give me a fair run on that.

    I'm pretty good from peter davison on aswell since davison was where i came into it and it's one of my personal fave eras



    Good you can help Lin and I whilst Steamy is away, the more the merrier.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of minisin

    minisin

    [31]Jul 26, 2007
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,246
    I can help by making Bad Jokes? I will anyway...but it will seem cooler if I am doing it for a reason...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [32]Jul 26, 2007
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,251

    minisin wrote:
    I can help by making Bad Jokes? I will anyway...but it will seem cooler if I am doing it for a reason...

    Are you inferring something? I'm watching you know Hiding from the midday heat in Phoenix.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LMH68

    LMH68

    [33]Jul 26, 2007
    • member since: 08/23/06
    • level: 57
    • rank: Mr Biggles
    • posts: 2,442
    Hey Steam ... checking up on us?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of _Islander_

    _Islander_

    [34]Jul 26, 2007
    • member since: 04/25/05
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 2,489
    *whispers to Lin*

    You know, *checks over shoulder*, I really don't think we can ever get away from him, no matter where he or we go...

    *starts looking all innocent, in case Steamy takes a look...*
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [35]Jul 26, 2007
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,251

    _Islander_ wrote:
    *whispers to Lin* You know, *checks over shoulder*, I really don't think we can ever get away from him, no matter where he or we go... *starts looking all innocent, in case Steamy takes a look...*

    You couldn't look innocent if you tried

    And just remember posting in the middle of the night won't help, because it's the early evening here

    Now however you're safe - I'm off out for drinks and jollies with the locals and then off to California in the morning, where I "might" not get connected - then again, you never know

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of nhubi

    nhubi

    [36]Jul 26, 2007
    • member since: 10/18/06
    • level: 48
    • rank: Conehead
    • posts: 3,058
    We'll be on our best behaviour, honest we will Steamy, you can trust us, just enjoy the Californian sun.

    You know I just had a flashback to the scene in Evolution of the Daleks where Jast & Caan are discussing Sec in the corridor. I need more sleep.

    *sneaks over to Lin & _Islander_*, right, now what I think we should do is.....
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of whovion1

    whovion1

    [37]Jul 27, 2007
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 69

    Who is dregi? I only have one user name and that is whovion1. I have enjoyed S3 more than S1 & S2 and I am fortunate to of met Freema Agyeman and David Tennant. Also because of my job I see Peter Davison every day. Like you steamheaduk I have always liked Doctor Who old and new. It just took me a little longer to like Russell T Davies's version that's all.

    Hope you are still having a nice time in the USA

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of _Islander_

    _Islander_

    [38]Jul 27, 2007
    • member since: 04/25/05
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 2,489
    You don't want to know who dregi is, though you're bound to bump into him sooner or later if you stick around on this forum, be it as dregi, dregy, ootsdemons or something else.

    Now, I think we've been off-topic long enough (partly down to me...), so let's steer this thread back in the right direction...
    Edited on 07/27/2007 5:15am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LMH68

    LMH68

    [39]Jul 27, 2007
    • member since: 08/23/06
    • level: 57
    • rank: Mr Biggles
    • posts: 2,442
    ~Doing steering back on topic

    So, does anyone know why they went for 13? Any particular significance or just random?

    *stands back & waits for knowledgeable answers*
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [40]Jul 30, 2007
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,251

    LMH68 wrote:
    ~Doing steering back on topic So, does anyone know why they went for 13? Any particular significance or just random? *stands back & waits for knowledgeable answers*

    Alas the person who came up with the number (Robert Holmes) is long since dead, so we may never know. At the time however it seemed such a long way away with very long serving Doctors, so 13 was probably a good mystical and somehow fitting number for a Timelord to die that wouldn't risk foreshortening the series. Now however it seems uncomfortably close.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.