Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

The Doctor's Companions: Opinions and Comparisons (both past and present)

LittleHobbit13

[1]Sep 22, 2010
    • level: 17

Here's one thing I never understood. Why did Donna have to leave? Don't get me wrong, I understand in the show why it had to happen. It was a fabulous but bittersweet episode. I cried. Just the reactions for Donna and the things Wilf was saying; they got to me. Character-wise, I couldn't stand what had happened to Donna, and it was one of the most tragic endings for a companion ever (at least in my opinion). Series-wise, it was as brilliantly written as it was tragic.

But there must have been a way to save Donna other than wiping her memories and reverting her back to before she'd met the Doctor. Personally, I always end up at the Chameleon Arch. As we see in "Human Nature", it rewrites a Time Lord's biology, every cell, to mimic that of another species. If Donna is part Time Lord, then hypothetically it could work on her, and even still, I'd like to think the Doctor could probably reconfigure it to work. But anyways, why couldn't they use that (assuming it could be made to work) to rewrite Donna and remove her Time Lord knowledge and biology so as to stop her from burning up and dying?

Like I said, the story was wonderfully well written, and this mostly just comes from my constant ponderings about possibilities since Donna was my favorite companion and I hated to see her go. (I know the season is long since aired so this may seem late, but Partners in Crime was on today, so I was thinking about it again.) And hey, feel free to comment beyond just Donna, if there are other solutions you were wondering about for other bits of story.

EDIT: We went off track and started talking about the goods/bads of the companions, mostly current but also as compared to the past. It's a more interesting discussion than the original topic, so I'm changing the topic title and we're continuing on.

Edited on 09/27/2010 1:58pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jwgrlrrajn

[2]Sep 22, 2010
    • level: 23
    I don't know. I'm assuming that the Chameleon Arch won't work on humans because their bodies can't handle the pain.

It was a pretty sad ending for her character, but at least this way there's a very slight chance that they could bring her back eventually.

archangelwho

[3]Sep 22, 2010
    • level: 18

I too hate when this happen but don't forget Jamie and Zoe. The same thing happen to them and Jamie was with the Doctor longer than Donna was.

Guildy

[4]Sep 22, 2010
    • level: 5

archangelwho wrote:

I too hate when this happen but don't forget Jamie and Zoe. The same thing happen to them and Jamie was with the Doctor longer than Donna was.

But that wasn't a MC, that was imposed amnesia by the Time Lords. Or do you just mean the mind-wipe thingy?

starfire2_2

[5]Sep 23, 2010
    • level: 12
    I think we all can think of ways to have saved Donna but the point wasn't to save her it was to find a reason that the adunce would bie so that they could get rid of her. Because she wasn't going to get up and leave like MJ did.

And I can't wate to see how the get rid of Amy. And I like Amy, I'm just reddy to see her leave.

archangelwho

[6]Sep 23, 2010

starfire2_2 wrote:
    I think we all can think of ways to have saved Donna but the point wasn't to save her it was to find a reason that the adunce would bie so that they could get rid of her. Because she wasn't going to get up and leave like MJ did. And I can't wate to see how the get rid of Amy. And I like Amy, I'm just reddy to see her leave.

After just 1 season? Oh I spell along a 3rd or 4th grade level but due to a lot of help and a great Thesaurus (I copied it from the cover) I got my Master (MEd) from USC School of Med.

archangelwho

[7]Sep 23, 2010

[QUOTE="Guildy"]

archangelwho wrote:

But that wasn't a MC, that was imposed amnesia by the Time Lords. Or do you just mean the mind-wipe thingy?

Yes it is the whole mind-wipe. After all Jamie did it was just wrong.

starfire2_2

[8]Sep 23, 2010
    archangelwho wrote:

After just 1 season?

If it was just Amy then I'd love to see her stay bur I'm not a fan of Rory and where Amy gose so dose Rory so if you have to get rid of Amy to get rid of Rory then so be it.

Besides what else can you do with Amy. She's marred so that gets rid of the two sided love tringel. Rory doden't have a reason to be julles of the doctor anymore and The Doctor was never in love with Amy.

LittleHobbit13

[9]Sep 24, 2010

starfire2_2 wrote:
    archangelwho wrote:

After just 1 season?

If it was just Amy then I'd love to see her stay bur I'm not a fan of Rory and where Amy gose so dose Rory so if you have to get rid of Amy to get rid of Rory then so be it. Besides what else can you do with Amy. She's marred so that gets rid of the two sided love tringel. Rory doden't have a reason to be julles of the doctor anymore and The Doctor was never in love with Amy.
    See, I'm actually the opposite there. Rory's fantastic, but I can't wait for them to boot Amy out. It COMPLETELY ruins my sci-fi to have to sit there and watch a post-wedding Amy still try to shamelessly make out with the Doctor. It's disgusting. Rory's a champ for being as patient as he is with her behavior. That's really what I was so upset about with Amy for this series. Amelia Pond was great. You could tell her personality had a lot of potential, but then they just ruined her as Amy Pond. (I mean, a strange man pops out of a police box, eats fish custard, and Amelia doesn't even think twice. What a champ! She was born to be a companion!) As I said in another post, she hasn't done anything redeeming so far. It's like they just don't know what to do with her. Sometimes she's acting like Rose, sometimes she's gushing and clinging like Martha, and sometimes she trying (in vain) to be that strong travel-buddy like like Donna, and all the while she's just coming across like a cheap, composite imitation of her predecessors.
    On the other hand, you have Rory. He noticed the coma patients, he figured out how the TARDIS dimensions worked, he even has a non-"fawn all over him" relationship with the Doctor, which is fantastically refreshing compared to most of the other companions. No no, Rory can stay, but get Amy the hell out!

archangelwho

[10]Sep 26, 2010

I hate it when the posting gets away from the topic but here I go doing it. I'm a Rory fan also so if one has to go then I hope it is Amy. In fact until the writers get away from this boyfriend/girlfriend storyline I hope there are more males. Not only are they getting away from who the Doctor is but they are hurting the companions.

LittleHobbit13

[11]Sep 27, 2010

archangelwho wrote:
    I hope there are more males. Not only are they getting away from who the Doctor is but they are hurting the companions.
    Oh, I definitely agree. It's not like they haven't had really good male characters in the past. I think it's just that in the attempt to make Doctor Who more "modern" or "sexy" like so many other shows nowadays, they're slowly drifting away from the essence of Doctor Who as a show, and they're focusing too much on the Doctor and his "relationships" with his companions, rather than focusing on his companionship with his companions (if that makes sense...).

Side Note: Talking about the progression of companions through the show is much more interesting, and people seem to want to talk about that more, so I'm just going to rename the thread.

Edited on 09/27/2010 1:59pm

archangelwho

[12]Sep 28, 2010

[QUOTE="LittleHobbit13"]

archangelwho wrote:
    I hope there are more males. Not only are they getting away from who the Doctor is but they are hurting the companions.
    Oh, I definitely agree. It's not like they haven't had really good male characters in the past. I think it's just that in the attempt to make Doctor Who more "modern" or "sexy" like so many other shows nowadays, they're slowly drifting away from the essence of Doctor Who as a show, and they're focusing too much on the Doctor and his "relationships" with his companions, rather than focusing on his companionship with his companions (if that makes sense...).

It does. The Doctor has lost a lot of who he was with this boyfriend/girlfriend relationship today writers seem to like.

Guildy

[13]Sep 28, 2010
    • level: 5

[QUOTE="archangelwho"]

LittleHobbit13 wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

It does. The Doctor has lost a lot of who he was with this boyfriend/girlfriend relationship today writers seem to like.

I've always preferred the "experienced old teacher watching the student grow" relationship the Doc had with his companions. It shows through most of the old Who series, especially(imho) with Sarah Jane and Ace. Having the Doctor become involved with a companion would have been like a schoolteacher become involved with a student.

Actually, it's rather analagous(I definitely spelled that wrong...) to my theory about God. The Doctor kind of represents a "superior", if not supremebeing, who rather enjoys keeping an eye on us "monkeys" and watching us grow, with the potential to eventually grow into his equals. Make sense to anybody, or am I just blowing smoke?

LittleHobbit13

[14]Sep 28, 2010

Guildy wrote:

archangelwho wrote:
    LittleHobbit13 wrote:

I've always preferred the "experienced old teacher watching the student grow" relationship the Doc had with his companions. It shows through most of the old Who series, especially(imho) with Sarah Jane and Ace. Having the Doctor become involved with a companion would have been like a schoolteacher become involved with a student.

Actually, it's rather analagous(I definitely spelled that wrong...) to my theory about God. The Doctor kind of represents a "superior", if not supremebeing, who rather enjoys keeping an eye on us "monkeys" and watching us grow, with the potential to eventually grow into his equals. Make sense to anybody, or am I just blowing smoke?

I'm not sure I agree entirely, but you do make sense. That's what I enjoy about Doctor Who as well. I've managed to track down classic Doctor Who, and I'm currently working my way through the 1st Doctor. It's one of the first things, despite how obviously different the show is compared to today's, that I really found myself liking. Barbara and Ian get dragged along on this grand adventure, and the viewer gets to see the Doctor much better through their experiences as companions. Part of that, I think, is because as grown adults and initially unwilling companions, they don't trail after the Doctor sick with the puppy love and awe that comes with having this mysterious stranger being in charge. In fact, in many ways Barbara (if you were to remove the 60s gender attitudes) reminds me quite a bit of Donna in the way that she stands up to the Doctor and doesn't put up with everything just because he's a time/space traveling alien. And speaking of having had good male companions in the past, you have Ian. (Though I'm a little concerned sometimes that he has such an... ecclectic set of skills for a high school science teacher. What exactly did he do before teaching, I wonder, hahaha.) He's good. You really have him coming in as a counterpart to the Doctor (the brawn for the Doctor's brains, in many situations) instead of just being an extra travel buddy. You know? He actually had a real role, a real contribution to the group adventures.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new companions (as stated, especially Donna and Rory and excluding Martha and Amy). As you said though, it's much more fun to watch when you get to see the companions growing and rising up to the challenge of being a stellar companion for the Doctor. Which is, again, why I found Donna's end so sad. Her character really started out as a more selfish, vain, loud personality, but she grew into such a fantastic companion, right in step with the Doctor. For her to have to give all that up and go back to the way she was before was just tragic. And even though I like Rose, Astrid, and Christina as companions, it still feels very odd for them to be all mushy on the Doctor (though I feel they handled the Doctor/Rose relationship very well, and let it build up more naturally rather than smacking the viewer over the head with it). I MUCH more enjoyed watching Jack, and Donna, and Jackson, and Wilfred, and Rory. They see the greatness of the Doctor without being overwhelmed by it. I feel that makes for a better companion.

I'm hoping that for this upcoming season, now that Amy and Rory are married, they'll tone down the flirtatious taste of the episodes. It's also why I really, really, REALLY want them to bring Jenny back. I think she'd make a fantastic companion, something fresh and new for this series' in terms of companions, and at the same time there's no risk of the storyline turning romantic.

jwgrlrrajn

[15]Sep 29, 2010
    I'm gonna say this once, you ready?...

Dalek companion.

That is all.

starfire2_2

[16]Sep 29, 2010
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:

Dalek companion.

That is all.

Your on something if you think that is a good idea.

starfire2_2

[17]Sep 29, 2010
    Conpanions and why I like or hate them.

Amy - I liked her befor she kissed the Doctor. Hell if she gave up on the Doctor then I'd still like her. Befor she started kissing the Doctor I thought the had a nice big brother little sister relationships.

Rory - He's Amy's Micky. Just not as good as Micky. I don't hate him so much as I just don't like him. He dosen't bring anything to the show. Maby next season he'll grow on me but as of right now I just don't like him.

Micky aka The tin dog - I don't want to se him back but he was a fun carater. And unlike Rory he has growen up. By the end of season 4 he stoped being the Jellos boyfriend and was reddy to move on with his life.

River - My favrite conpanion. Ok so I love the mistery sorounding her and like Donna she she is not willing to pull her putches (litery). Donna - I'm on the fence about her. I never relly liked her but I don't hate her. I'm sorry to say that the best thing about season 4 was Jenny or River.

Jenny - Now she would make a great conpanion. But I still think River turns out to be Jenny or Rose.

Jack - I can't say one bad thing about him and would love to see him back on the show.

Sarah Jane - Ok as I havent seen any of the old Doctor Who shows I cant say if I liked her then but I do like her in SJA and DW. She was the first real grown up we had seen in the show. Someone who had had some real life exsperance under there belt.

Martha - She was just a bad conpanion choise. If it wasn't for the fact that the gave he some good lines in the show then I would have down right hated her. But I will say that I liked her in Torchwood. Unit Martha was a lot better then Doctor Martha.

Rose - I loved the effect that she had on 9 and 10. Both for better or worse. And I'd love to see her in season six if only to mess with Amy.

jwgrlrrajn

[18]Sep 30, 2010
    starfire2_2 wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:

Dalek companion.

That is all.

Your on something if you think that is a good idea.

Just hear me out, there could be a Dalek that turns good, and wants to become the Doctor's companion, and he wears a bowtie and fez to show his sincerity...

Then the Doctor wakes up screaming. lol

LittleHobbit13

[19]Oct 1, 2010

And you know, I was thinking about it some more, and considered that part of the problem could just be who they have playing the Doctor. In this new series, all the Doctor's actors have been fairly young, or at least all 9, 10, and 11 have all been played with a fairly young attitude. Most of the older companions traveled with Doctors that you knew very clearly were quite old, wizened, and experienced. The attitude of this series' Doctors has been more "life is an exciting adventure and even if I see it coming everything is news to me!", so basically full of excitement at everything. That's not to say the excitement is bad, but you can do "highly intrigued" rather than "bouncing off the walls in excitement" on occasion. Personally, I'm already hoping that #12, despite how much I do like Matt Smith as the Doctor, will be cast with an older gentleman because I think it would make for a nice change of pace for this new series, but also after seeing more and more classic Doctor Who, I'm realizing that having someone older (even if they play the role with a "young at heart" feel) does have a significant impact on how they interact with the people around them.

You have Jon Pertwee, one of the oldest actors to play the Doctor, running around like an action hero. Just because they're older doesn't mean they can't play it young. On the other hand, you have Peter Davison, the youngest actor at the time, who was a bit more cool and calm and serious. I just think it would help the quality of the companions to improve a little if they changed the age dynamic up.

Thoughts?

starfire2_2

[20]Oct 1, 2010
    Yahh I can see how haveing someone older playing the Doctor might help change things up a bit. For better or worse, I don't know. But I would like to see it happen.

Now with the three current Doctors You had (9)Christopher Eccleston who played a verry angery man. Then you had (10)David Tennant Who was both lighter and Darker at the same time. And now (11)Matt Smith who of the three of them plays the tired old man the best. Eatch one of them bringing something new to the table.

Maby the problum isn't with who they cast as the Doctor maby it's that they need to bring in an older companion. David Tennant and Bernard Cribbins (Wilfred Mott) made a great pair. Hell even Donna had her moments. So maby they need bring in someone who is older to off set the Doctor.

Don't get me wrong I like Rose, Amy and Jack but relatively speeking they where all kids. None of them had relly finished growing up when the Doctor cane into there lifes. So what could they bring to the table. Because right now they are focousing on how much the Doctor changes the people around him. So maby if he had someone older with him it wouldn't be as much as an inshoo.