Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

The Doctor's Companions: Opinions and Comparisons (both past and present)

LittleHobbit13

[21]Oct 4, 2010
    • level: 17

starfire2_2 wrote:
    Maybe the problem isn't with who they cast as the Doctor maybe it's that they need to bring in an older companion. David Tennant and Bernard Cribbins (Wilfred Mott) made a great pair. Hell even Donna had her moments. So maybe they need bring in someone who is older to off set the Doctor.
    That could do it, but halfway through that thought, I started thinking about all the great companions that he had who were still quite young, like Sarah Jane or Adric or Ace.

Then I had a conversation with a friend this weekend and I think we worked out part of the problem. It's not so much the age as it is the role. Comparatively, the companions from the classic series were sent off to do things and trusted to not get killed on their own, while the companions in this new series are constantly being told to stay put and not touch anything. We then realized that's partly why we both found ourselves enjoying Donna's season more than Martha or Rose's, and classic companions to new ones. They both got taken by the hand and lead around, helping out where the Doctor told them to, whereas Donna would actively offer up help (like using her awesome Temp skills ("Doctor's Daughter") or knowing realizing where the exit would be in The Library ("Silence in the Library")). When we looked back at the past, especially at Sarah Jane (because we're both big 4th Doctor fans), the companions used to take smart initiative or bring something especially useful to the table. They learn to work stuff out (even for technology they aren't familiar with) and learn to offer up good suggestions and plans. They don't do that quite as much anymore, save for Captain Jack and Donna.

Of course, taking that a little further, I was then comparing the relationship with the Doctor and his companions from classic versus new. It's almost that the Doctors in the new series don't need a physical companion so much as just a voice to tell him when to do certain things. In the classic series, the Doctors actually needed the physical assistance from the companions. At least for me, the more classic series I watch, the more I find myself preferring a Doctor who can't do it all (even if he can think it up) to one who can. A Doctor who can do it all and just wants the companion to sit around doing nothing doesn't really need a companion after all, does he?

Edited on 10/04/2010 8:48am
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jwgrlrrajn

[22]Oct 4, 2010
    • level: 23
    LittleHobbit13 wrote:
    A Doctor who can do it all and just wants the companion to sit around doing nothing doesn't really need a companion after all, does he?

Maybe he does. Think about it for a moment, sure it's fun watching tv and movies by yourself, but isn't more satisfying when you share that experience with someone else?

Now take the Doctor, he's out there experiencing the whole of time and space, but it will never feel as good when he's by himself as when he's with someone else. (basically, the Doctor gets lonely, and understandably so)

LittleHobbit13

[23]Oct 4, 2010

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    (basically, the Doctor gets lonely, and understandably so)
    So couldn't he just make a new K-9? That's my point. In this newer series, it doesn't seem like he needs the companionship so much as he just needs a travel buddy. Don't kid yourself about them being the same thing. I love the new series' Doctors, but if you think about it, they are rather... omnipotent in many ways. Not only can they do it all, but for the most part they try to. Personally, I find myself enjoying the companions with actual roles and actions; companions that take initiative. I like the companions that flesh themselves out, and don't just rely on "I'm the Doctor's companion" to define themselves. That's boring.

starfire2_2

[24]Oct 6, 2010
    • level: 12
    I have to addmet that it was more fun watching Jack being able to tinker with the TARDIS the it was watching Rose or Micky stand there and watch as the Doctor fixed the TARDIS. Hell that's one of the reasons why I like River. She can pull her owm wate.

starfire2_2

[25]Oct 6, 2010
    Hay LittleHobbit13 what do you think of River. You have said a lot about everone else but I havent read your opion on River.

LittleHobbit13

[26]Oct 6, 2010

To be honest, I'm torn. As a character, I like her. I especially loved her when we first meet her in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. She was a good, strong character. When she popped back in during 11's first season, she was still strong, but I feel like they were starting to overplay/overuse the whole "hello sweetie" and "oh i know you Doctor" stuff. Of course, that's not so much a problem with her character as a problem with the writing. I love that she can hold her own, though like I said, that heinous attempt to explain the TARDIS noise was like a crime against the show and I wish they hadn't written her that line. I like that she knows so much about the Doctor (as I like the intriguing story line of them moving in opposite directions through each others lives), and that she's not just a "sit back and let the Doctor do everything" type of companion. On the other hand, I usually like the companions on a surrogate level when they're slightly less experienced than the Doctor because I can identify with that more. Sometimes (and again, this could just be the writing) she almost seems to know too much.

I'm definitely curious of her, though I generally get sick and tired of everyone swearing to god that she must OBVIOUSLY be the Doctor's wife. We have no proof of that. Yes, the writing has dropped hints that it's a possibility, but there's been nothing definite. And if she's supposed to be potentially end her run in the series within this next season, then I don't see her crime (remember: "killed the best man i ever knew") being killing the Doctor, since Matt Smith is purported to be staying until at least 2013. I definitely want to know how she knows the Doctor's name (though without them telling us) since the Doctor said "there's only one time I could". What's that one time? That's what I want to know. She also knows High Gallifreyan, which according to the Doctor is the ancient language of the Time Lords. A clue? Possibly.

So I guess bottom line: it's not that I don't have an opinion of River, but just that given the nature of her character I haven't finished forming one yet. Mostly I don't remember to mention her in my posts simply because she's not necessarily like the regular companions who stay aboard the TARDIS while travel so much as she just maintains a more normal life and pops in for an adventure on occasion.

starfire2_2

[27]Oct 6, 2010
    Thanks. And I'd like to point out that there have been rumers about MS, KG and AK leaveing next season. It seems to me that who ever is makeing up the rumers just wants to cause waves. I'm not saying that they cant be true but I can't see all three up and leave the show.

belial_77

[28]Oct 8, 2010
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    starfire2_2 wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    I'm gonna say this once, you ready?...

Dalek companion.

That is all.

Your on something if you think that is a good idea.

Just hear me out, there could be a Dalek that turns good, and wants to become the Doctor's companion, and he wears a bowtie and fez to show his sincerity...

Then the Doctor wakes up screaming. lol

No. No Dalek companion...
    Now a Cyberperson companion would work (I been championing the idea for years). Kinda like a Seven of Nine type thing...

bluecatcinema

[29]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 61
    belial_77 wrote:
    Now a Cyberperson companion would work (I been championing the idea for years). Kinda like a Seven of Nine type thing...

They already did that; The Doctor Who Magazine comic strips featured a Cyberman named Kroton who had retained his emotions, and served as a companion to the Eighth Doctor.

LittleHobbit13

[30]Oct 8, 2010

belial_77 wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    starfire2_2 wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    I'm gonna say this once, you ready?... Dalek companion. That is all.
    Just hear me out, there could be a Dalek that turns good, and wants to become the Doctor's companion, and he wears a bowtie and fez to show his sincerity... Then the Doctor wakes up screaming. lol
    No. No Dalek companion... Now a Cyberperson companion would work (I been championing the idea for years). Kinda like a Seven of Nine type thing...
    The closest we came to a reformed Dalek was Dalek Kahn in Stolen Earth/Journey's End episodes. He saw what the Daleks truely were and so worked to orchestrate their downfall. He was by no means, however, on the Doctor's side.

The only reason I don't see a Dalek companion happening is because, as established in Genesis of the Daleks, Davros genetically breed the Daleks to be evil, hate-filled, and without mercy or compassion. Basically, they're genetically breed to lack the capacity for all the qualities the Doctor values. I think a good middle ground would be to hijack a Dalek body for a multi-episode story though. In the 1st Doctor story arc "The Daleks", they sneak out of the Dalek city by getting Ian to sit in the Dalek can. It was so funny listing to human dialogue in the Dalek voice.

starfire2_2

[31]Oct 10, 2010
    LittleHobbit13 wrote:

belial_77 wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    starfire2_2 wrote:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    I'm gonna say this once, you ready?... Dalek companion. That is all.
    Just hear me out, there could be a Dalek that turns good, and wants to become the Doctor's companion, and he wears a bowtie and fez to show his sincerity... Then the Doctor wakes up screaming. lol
    No. No Dalek companion... Now a Cyberperson companion would work (I been championing the idea for years). Kinda like a Seven of Nine type thing...
    The closest we came to a reformed Dalek was Dalek Kahn in Stolen Earth/Journey's End episodes. He saw what the Daleks truely were and so worked to orchestrate their downfall. He was by no means, however, on the Doctor's side.

The only reason I don't see a Dalek companion happening is because, as established in Genesis of the Daleks, Davros genetically breed the Daleks to be evil, hate-filled, and without mercy or compassion. Basically, they're genetically breed to lack the capacity for all the qualities the Doctor values. I think a good middle ground would be to hijack a Dalek body for a multi-episode story though. In the 1st Doctor story arc "The Daleks", they sneak out of the Dalek city by getting Ian to sit in the Dalek can. It was so funny listing to human dialogue in the Dalek voice.

You are all nuts. Darleks are eval. Evel = a bad comanion choise. Plane and simpel.

jwgrlrrajn

[32]Oct 10, 2010
    • level: 23
    You know that there are multiple ways that a Dalek could become good if the writers chose to make one that way, right?

Besides, I was making a joke for Pete's sake.

starfire2_2

[33]Oct 16, 2010
    Because this is the companion seacion I figgered I'd post a theary I have. As I was board and looking up some of the Brit shows I watch when I found a post saying the they had begune filming the 4th and last season of Secret Diary of a Call Girl so my thery is this. With Billie Piper finishing up with the show she will be looking to reprise her role as Rose in Doctor Who. So I think we will see Rose back in eather next years christmas speachel or in season 7.

MelissaSchwolow

[34]Oct 16, 2010
    • level: 6

starfire2_2 wrote:
    Because this is the companion seacion I figgered I'd post a theary I have. As I was board and looking up some of the Brit shows I watch when I found a post saying the they had begune filming the 4th and last season of Secret Diary of a Call Girl so my thery is this. With Billie Piper finishing up with the show she will be looking to reprise her role as Rose in Doctor Who. So I think we will see Rose back in eather next years christmas speachel or in season 7.

I don't think that would be happening as much as wish it could... MAYBE as a cameo or something but I doubt it'll happen... The reason Secret Diary of a Call Girl is ending is because she wants to be able to spend more time with her son, which should be her top priority anyways.

Edited on 10/16/2010 10:13pm

archangelwho

[35]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 18

Please no Rose return. We don't need the Doctor to start acting like a love sick pup again. And please, please no Dalek commanion! Bad, Bad, Bad idea!!!

starfire2_2

[36]Oct 17, 2010
    archangelwho wrote:

Please no Rose return. We don't need the Doctor to start acting like a love sick pup again. And please, please no Dalek commanion! Bad, Bad, Bad idea!!!

I don't think this Doctor would act like a love sick fool. Not with the way MS has portrayed elven so far. And I totaly agree with your Dalek comment. It's a verry bad idea.

archangelwho

[37]Oct 23, 2010

starfire2_2 wrote:
    archangelwho wrote:

I don't think this Doctor would act like a love sick fool. Not with the way MS has portrayed elven so far. And I totaly agree with your Dalek comment. It's a verry bad idea.

If Rose ever comes back I hope you are right. If so how do you think the story would be written? Would it be as if nothing ever happen between Rose & the Doctor (a Dallas type ) or would Rose still be in love and the Doctor is over it?

Edited on 10/23/2010 7:43pm

Princess_Pinky

[38]Oct 23, 2010
    • level: 11

archangelwho wrote:

starfire2_2 wrote:
    archangelwho wrote:

If Rose ever comes back I hope you are right. If so how do you think the story would be written? Would it be as if nothing ever happen between Rose & the Doctor (a Dallas type ) or would Rose still be in love and the Doctor is over it?

I think it would depend on who is writing the story. For example, if RTD was for whatever reason writing the story, The Doctor would probably still act in love with her and be more emotional such as how Nine and Ten were written, because that's how RTD likes to write them. He thinks of Rose as The Doctor's one true love. But if Moffat (who has described her as a clingy girlfriend)was writing it (and I don't see why he would bring her back at all, unless it was for a special like the 50th Anniversary or something that called for such a return), I'm not so sure The Doctor would act as "in love" (especially if River is around and does turn out to be the love interest many suspect she is) with Rose, especially if a significant amount of time has gone by. I wouldn't put it past Rose to be jealous (she's always had a jealous streak). Though I guess the severity of the jealousy would probably depend on Rose's circumstances (i.e. her relationship status with 10.5, does she have kids with 10.5, etc, etc).

archangelwho

[39]Oct 24, 2010

Princess_Pinky wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

starfire2_2 wrote:
    archangelwho wrote:

I think it would depend on who is writing the story. For example, if RTD was for whatever reason writing the story, The Doctor would probably still act in love with her and be more emotional such as how Nine and Ten were written, because that's how RTD likes to write them. He thinks of Rose as The Doctor's one true love. But if Moffat (who has described her as a clingy girlfriend)was writing it (and I don't see why he would bring her back at all, unless it was for a special like the 50th Anniversary or something that called for such a return), I'm not so sure The Doctor would act as "in love" (especially if River is around and does turn out to be the love interest many suspect she is) with Rose, especially if a significant amount of time has gone by. I wouldn't put it past Rose to be jealous (she's always had a jealous streak). Though I guess the severity of the jealousy would probably depend on Rose's circumstances (i.e. her relationship status with 10.5, does she have kids with 10.5, etc, etc).

We do forget about 10.5 from time to time.

starfire2_2

[40]Oct 24, 2010
    Hay I never forget about 10.5. I mantan that if and when they bring BP in for an episode they also have to bring DT back to. But I love the idea of haveing River there when they bring them back. After all they have to exsplane away why she knew ten. Because I don't bye that she has pitchers of the diffrent Doctors. She might have pitchers but she was a little to fimler with Ten.