Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

They have to go!

agibaer

[1]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 6

There has been one season too much of rory sweetness. Luckily, I just read that there will be a new companion. A female, again, but ok.

There has been too much, FAR too much romance in the last series. I think Matt Smith is a good Doctor, but I really miss the more dark David tennant.

I hope Rory and whatshername will die and that there will be a really dark serial of Doctor Who. Where he will use his powers like Tennant with the "Family".

And P L E A SE !!!!!! bring back John Simm as the Master!!!!!!! Please, pretty please! He is the best character in all of Doctor Who EVER!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbb56jZo0rE

Citizens, rejoice!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jwgrlrrajn

[2]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 23
    Uhh, are you seriously telling me there was more romance in series six than there was in series two, three, or four?

It seems about even to me, to be honest.

As for John Simm's Master, he was okay in The End of Time, but in Last of the Time Lords, he was kind of pathetic. I can't really say he qualifies as the best Doctor Who character in existence.

I do agree with you on wanting a darker Doctor Who serial. I've liked the majority of the dark episodes they've had. The best part would be a potential chance to let 11th show some sadness. That's really the only thing that's holding 11th back right now, he just kind of lacks the depth that 9th and 10th had. (he's had a few moments, but he needs more, imo)

archangelwho

[3]Apr 3, 2012
    • level: 18

Rory has been the best of the companions of the new shows and I would like to see how much better he could be with out Amy. It is River I will be gald to see go. As far as the Master goes. This is one area that the new team does not seem able to get close to being right. Each of the Master stories have been some of the worst of Doctor Who 2005. I am a bid fan of the Master from the old show but the way they do the Master now I hope he never returns. Maybe they need to take Tom Baker offer and let him play the Master. At least he would getthe Master right.

steamheaduk

[4]Apr 3, 2012
    • level: 19
    I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed John Simm's Master, going for a psychotic evil rather than a Mwahaha camp viliian that is all we've had before. It's just his stories that have been stinkers.

It always struck me as odd that until Simm, every Master was played pretty much exactly the same, and yet every Doctor strives to be different.

angeleys151

[5]Apr 5, 2012

There was plenty of "romance" between Rose and The Doctor, and Martha and The Doctor. It didn't bother me as much with Rose, but Martha's unrequited love bit got old. In the same vein Amy's back and forth between The Doctor and Rory is getting old. I will miss Rory however.

On the subject of The Master, maybe it because I haven't been able to see any of the original episodes and have nothing to compare with, but I love John Simm's Master. I'm always loved villains that have just as much depth as the hero, and I think Simm managed that (though his stories weren't very good.)

archangelwho

[6]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 18

angeleys151 wrote:

On the subject of The Master, maybe it because I haven't been able to see any of the original episodes and have nothing to compare with, but I love John Simm's Master. I'm always loved villains that have just as much depth as the hero, and I think Simm managed that (though his stories weren't very good.)

I guess I am too much of a fan of the Master from the original because with the new Master I don't see any depth of character or the intelligent of the original Master. All I see in the Master is just crazy. And maybe with the life the Master has lived this is what we would have gotten. And the poor stories have not helped.

PenguinSuzie

[7]Sep 21, 2012
    • level: 10

archangelwho wrote:
    Rory has been the best of the companions of the new shows and I would like to see how much better he could be with out Amy. It is River I will be glad to see go.
    Couldn't agree more. I can't wait until the River story is over. I would love to see Rory develop without Amy. I find it sad that in-universe he's considered lucky to have landed someone "way out of his league" like Amy yet she's the one who cheats, and took a while to decide between him and the Doctor. She just kind of overlooked him a lot and looked down on him. While he's just so happy to be with her that he'll take all of her crap and a lot of the time doesn't even seem to notice that she's a bit of a b*ch. I can't help but think of it similarly to Gwen & Rhys from Torchwood, in-universe characters act like he's just lucky to have her while I can't help but think that he just deserves someone better. Even though they've gotten it out of their system and finally realized that they're lucky to have someone that loves them that much it doesn't stop them from being jerks in the first place. Rose was kind of like that to Mickey too. Rory is my favourite companion and I've never liked Amy so maybe I'm just bias.

Cranky_Old_Batt

[8]Sep 21, 2012

In agreement with:

The sooner River is gone the better.

Rory without Amy would rule. Except Rory seems so completely bonded to Amy I think he would die without her. And besides, they already picked that chick with the tight clothes for the new companion, but I would strongly prefer at least one season of the Doctor and Rory (the free man).

Definitely think the new Master missed the mark compared to the old Master. The old Master just was way, way, way more creepy and sadistic and intriguing. The new Master seemed more like a cartoon character than the old one.

Down all the mushy crap. I get that the Doctor is growing up (as RTD put it), but I much preferred the Doctor without the lovey dovey crap. The 9th Doctor had it a lot closer to right: hint at it, play around it, give us one or two big moments so they count. But the continual melodramatic soap opera/hormones in space and time is pathetic.

This Doctor lacking real depth. He does the couple of notes we have seen him do well, but both Eccleston (best) and Tennant were able to make me believe the Darkness in the Doctor far more than Smith has.

jwgrlrrajn

[9]Sep 23, 2012
    • level: 23

Cranky_Old_Batt wrote:
    Definitely think the new Master missed the mark compared to the old Master. The old Master just was way, way, way more creepy and sadistic and intriguing. The new Master seemed more like a cartoon character than the old one.

Agreed about the new Master being too cartoonish. In my perfect Doctor Who cast list, I'd get John Glover to play the Master. I think he'd really nail the part.

Cranky_Old_Batt wrote:
    This Doctor lacking real depth. He does the couple of notes we have seen him do well, but both Eccleston (best) and Tennant were able to make me believe the Darkness in the Doctor far more than Smith has.

In some ways, I think part of the reason it's hard to see 11th's depth is because the deep points are few and far between. And because of that, when we do see his depth, it seems out of character at times. In other words, more of a writing problem than an acting problem. I will say Matt Smith does a great job portraying the sad moments, like the point in First Night/Last Night. The angry moments though seem like they could use a little work, but again, that was probably more because 11th doesn't get angry often enough.

Edited on 09/23/2012 9:28pm
    Edited 2 total times.

bkyle2429

[10]Jan 31, 2013
    • level: 15

archangelwho wrote:

Rory has been the best of the companions of the new shows and I would like to see how much better he could be with out Amy. It is River I will be gald to see go. As far as the Master goes. This is one area that the new team does not seem able to get close to being right. Each of the Master stories have been some of the worst of Doctor Who 2005. I am a bid fan of the Master from the old show but the way they do the Master now I hope he never returns. Maybe they need to take Tom Baker offer and let him play the Master. At least he would getthe Master right.

Rose, Amy are the best by a long shot Rory is average, Donna and Martha were good as for River she was very good!!! these are from the 9,10 and 11th Doctors respectively as for the Master(John Simm) very good IMO now I never any Original WHO so maybe my comment as no strength