Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

trying to make sense of River's timeline

Lccf

[1]Nov 11, 2013
    • level: 13

?Determining in which order River experiences events is sometimes a tricky thing, since she's lying / concealing information, and sometimes pops up at different times inthe same episode,but I'll try.

Here's what we know for sure :

- she goes to the Byzantium after the Pandorica events

- she tells Amy and Rory about what really happened at Lake Silencio just after the Byzantium

Here's what we can assume :

- In "Day of the moon", she assumes she hasn't got much time left with the Doctor. I guess it's Moffat's way to tell us this is their last encounter ( from her point of view ) before the Library.

- I bet she doesn't begin her life of adventure before finishing her studies at Lunar University, so I'll place her first trip to Lake Silencio very early in her life.

- When she sees Rory in "A good man goes to war", she seems shocked : so we can assume she really meets her dad from her point of view ( as opposed to the time she meets his Auton self and doesn't manifest anything ): she says they've already met, but she's probably referencing "Let's kill Hitler", where she wasn't exactly herself. So I'll put this one rather early too.

- Only "Angels take Manhattan" remains a puzzle, but let's see ...

So the correct - well, logical - order would be :

Melody Pond is born on Demon's run, and stolen by Kovarian. She's sent to the 60s to be raised in a Silence-controlled orphanage. As "the astronaut", she crosses paths with her mother, who shoots her. She regenerates as a baby, who grows up to be Mels, her parents' friend. Shot again by Hitler in 1938, she regenerates one final time, tries to kill the Doctor for the first time, then saves him. She then begins her studies at Lunar University under the name "River Song".

On the day she gets her doctorate, she's abducted again, stuck in the astronaut suit again, and sent to Lake Silencio to kill the Doctor. In a "time bubble", she marries the Doctor ( if you place this event very early, that explains the way she behaves for the rest of the ?pisodes ). Before the Doctor erases himself from all databases, she's sent to the Stormcage.

One day, she meets Rory who tells her about Demon's Run, and refuses to join the Doctor's army to save her baby self. She shows up after the fact to reveal to her parents the truth about herself. ( I chose to think River's both appearences in this episode belong to the same moment of her timeline : less headache this way ).

She then helps the Doctor solve the puzzle of the Pandorica, save the universe from the TARDIS' explosion, and shows up at her parents' wedding. ( Same thing : nothing proves these appearances belong to the same moment of her life, but hey, it's simpler to assume so ).

That's where I put the trip to Manhattan : way I see it, witnessing her parents' ... let's say demise, at the hands of the Angels, could be the reason why she's interested in the Byzantium's "cargo". ( Maybe she's studying the Angels to find a way to bring Amy and Rory back ).

So, after Manhattan and the Byzantium, she makes a little trip to tell her parents how the Doctor survived Lake Silencio.

She then goes to Lake Silencio one second time, both staying quiet about what she knows ( she admits so herself ) and failing to remember things due to Silence interference( didn't Kovarian say she wouldn't remember shooting the Doctor ? ), pretending to help solving the mystery of the astronaut, and REALLY helping defeat the Silence. ( Weird sequence, I kow, but maybe confessing to Amy and Rory first helped her preparing herself to experienceLake Silenciofor a second time ?Must be less cruel to see them witnessing what they think is the death of the Doctor when you've already told them the truth, from your own perspective).

You know the rest : she goes to the Library, meets Ten, dies and becomes a digital ghost, who shows up on Trenzalore to help defeat the Great Intelligence.

Agree ? Disagree ?

Edited on 11/11/2013 10:09am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[2]Nov 14, 2013
    • level: 18

You are trying a lot harder than the writers and production team did. They lost River almost from the start and never really worried about fixing it.

steamheaduk

[3]Nov 15, 2013
    • level: 19

Yep, throughout the history of Doctor Who the best approach is to "just go with it".

Lccf

[4]Nov 16, 2013
    • level: 13

I agree thatMoffat probably doesn't have an "official" timeline for her and lost track a bit after the Pandorica events, even if he sometimesgives some clues, on-screen or off-screen ( the bit about her meeting Rory for the first time in the opening scenes of "A good man ..."comes directly from his comments on some bonus material ).Frankly, I started this post thinking there was no way you could do something coherent. But hey, the disjointed nature of her encounters with the TARDIS crew is part of the fun, isn't it ?

The only thing that bothers me in my timeline is that she then encounters her parents several times knowingwhat the Angels will do to them, and not doing or saying anything. I know she calls herself a "psychopath", but that's harsh !

archangelwho

[5]Nov 17, 2013
    • level: 18

Lccf wrote:

I agree thatMoffat probably doesn't have an "official" timeline for her and lost track a bit after the Pandorica events, even if he sometimesgives some clues, on-screen or off-screen ( the bit about her meeting Rory for the first time in the opening scenes of "A good man ..."comes directly from his comments on some bonus material ).Frankly, I started this post thinking there was no way you could do something coherent. But hey, the disjointed nature of her encounters with the TARDIS crew is part of the fun, isn't it ?

The only thing that bothers me in my timeline is that she then encounters her parents several times knowingwhat the Angels will do to them, and not doing or saying anything. I know she calls herself a "psychopath", but that's harsh !

They lived a long and happy life. They got the child that they always wanted. Maybe she knew something of their ending and felt this was the best option for them.

steamheaduk

[6]Nov 17, 2013
    • level: 19

And she also knows the dangers of interfering with your own Timeline. The repercussions could have been far worse, at least what she knew of their fate gave them a long happy life together. The only harsh bit is she sacrificed her ability to see her parents again in exchange for their safety and happiness - very noble.