Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Two Races of Cybermen.

archangelwho

[1]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 18

In Docotr Who 1963 the Cybermen came from the planet of either Telos or Mundas. In Doctor Who 2005 they are cecreated on an alternative earth. I wonder how they would react if the two every met?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bluecatcinema

[2]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 61
    They might join forces, or the Mondasians would consider the Earth-born versions too primitive (Which they would most likely be compared to them, despite appearances), and attack them.

steamheaduk

[3]Jan 13, 2011
    • level: 19
    Well we may get to find out, since the Cybermen in the Adventure Game "Blood of the Cybermen" are NOT ones with the Cybus Logo plastered on them, and Cybermats were also seen in the trailer which have NOT been seen as a tool of the Cybus Cybermen.

I've not had time to play the game yet so I can't say for sure which "breed" of Cybermen these are, bearing in mind the Mondasian Cybermen changed almost every time we saw them, so it's not a big leap to assume parallel evolution of the two breeds, since they both have the same objective.

But since these games were "supposed to be canon" I would say there is a strong chance the lack of Cybus logo is not an accident.

I'd be curious to know from someone who has played the game if there's ANY reference to the origin of this particular set of Cybermen.
    Edited on 01/13/2011 7:04am

thetruesora

[4]Jan 13, 2011
    • level: 22
    it's been a little while since I played the game but I think it atleast implied they were Cybus ones (chances are someone else will probably say otherwise and make me look stupid).

jwgrlrrajn

[5]Jan 13, 2011
    • level: 23
    Since they were buried under a ton of ice, and they employed the use of the Cybermats, I think it's safe to say that they weren't the Cybus models.

As for what would happen if the two races met...

"Together, we could upgrade the universe." - Doomsday

dragon22a

[6]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 32

The Original Cybermen have years over the Cybus Industries version and that could mean that they would be more technologically advanced then them. If the originals returned, they would possibly look at the Cybus industries version as being impure like the Daleks from the progenitor looked down on and destroyed the iron sides who were no longer true Daleks. While different, both types of Cybermen wanted domination and I think that they would even go to war with eachother.

According to some spin off media which may not be Canon, the original Cybermen evolved to the point where they were almost human and became peaceful. Meaning that the Cybus versions would probably take them out despite being technologically inferior to them.

nomad-70

[7]Jan 26, 2011
    • level: 4
    In The Next Doctor it was indicated that some of the Cybus Cybermen from Doomsday had escaped the void and fallen through cracks in time. What if some had fallen back in time to Mondas and been the basis of the creation of the original race of Cybermen.

It's unlikely to ever be shown on screen but would provide a way to reconcile the two different races into one.

jwgrlrrajn

[8]Jan 26, 2011
    Writers, make this canon now.

archangelwho

[9]Jan 28, 2011

nomad-70 wrote:
    In The Next Doctor it was indicated that some of the Cybus Cybermen from Doomsday had escaped the void and fallen through cracks in time. What if some had fallen back in time to Mondas and been the basis of the creation of the original race of Cybermen. It's unlikely to ever be shown on screen but would provide a way to reconcile the two different races into one.

I like this but I think I would like to see a Cyberman war which we still can have.

archangelwho

[10]Apr 13, 2011

To me the old Cybermen are more believable (not their looks, the storyline). The new ones are just nip, cut and tuck and you have a Cybermen. The old ones was a combination of drugs and surgery. It was a long, detail progress that even had some rejections. Yes, the old special effects looked cheap and fake. Yes, the pictures were poor which added to the cheap look. Yes the new ones have the flash entertainment the fans of todayseem to want/need. The old ones developed a storyline with details. The new ones rushed though. Give me the slower stories with a real life like storyline over nip, cut, tuck and flash anytime.

archangelwho

[11]Jul 14, 2013

If all of the Cybus Cybermen are locked away in the viod in Doomsday or killed off in the next Doctorand the last of the Mondas Cybermen was killed off in Nightmare in Silver could this mean the end of the Cybermen?

jwgrlrrajn

[12]Jul 17, 2013
    No. For the same reason that the Daleks will never be completely killed off. They're too popular.

All it takes is one Cyberman to make more.

archangelwho

[13]Jul 18, 2013

[QUOTE="jwgrlrrajn"]No. For the same reason that the Daleks will never be completely killed off. They're too popular. All it takes is one Cyberman to make more.

[/QUOTE} Do you think the fans will ever become tired of the Daleks and Cybermem being killed off/locked away just to return? This is a carry over from the 1963 show and to be honest it is getting old for me. Yet, other than that one verypoor story with Tennamt the Time Lords don't seem to be able to get out. I miss having the Time Lords around in the role they played in the1963 show.

Edited on 07/18/2013 6:47am

jwgrlrrajn

[14]Jul 20, 2013
    I don't doubt that fans will eventually grow weary of that routine. I wish they would make it to where we have an obvious handful of survivors escaping, much like in Doomsday with the Daleks, or better yet, like in Victory of the Daleks. But my point remains, as long as the Daleks and the Cybermen remain the iconic figures that they are, they will never be permanently destroyed.

Do I wish that the same rules would somehow apply to the Time Lords? Of course. I'd like to see Gallifrey reborn. I could even accept it if they made New Gallifrey or something to that extent. Maybe the Doctor could find some survivors of the Time War, or perhaps some Time Lord clones/artificially produced offspring (e.g. Jenny). Maybe some Time Lords from an alternate universe find their way here. There are a ton of acceptable options for bringing the Time Lords back, the showrunners just need to use one or more of them.

archangelwho

[15]Jul 20, 2013

Had there ever been any thing stated where the Doctor could not unlock the void and let them out without releasing the Daleks?