Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Watching "Doctor Who" for the first time

winoni71

[1]Jun 11, 2013
    • level: 12

I'll start watching "Doctor Who" in the next few days, please tell me if this is the right order:

- Season 1

- The Christmas invasion

- Season 2

- The runaway bride

- Season 3

- Voyage of the damned

- Season 4

- The next Doctor

- Planet of the dead

- The water of mars

- The end of time (Part 1-2)

- Season 5

- A Christmas carol

- Season 6

- The Doctor, the widow and the wardrobe

- Season 7 - Episodes 1-5

- The snowmen

- Season 7 - Episodes 6-12

Thank you.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[2]Jun 11, 2013
    • level: 18

You are correct. Enjoy and welcome. When you have time check out the 1963-1989 Doctor Who. If you are not a fan of 60s B/W Tv you may want to start with Tom Baker and work your way back.

winoni71

[3]Jun 11, 2013

Thanks for the answer.

I forgot to ask, isn't there some episode/movie where they explain in a summary what happened during the original series?

Thanks again.

archangelwho

[4]Jun 11, 2013

winoni71 wrote:

Thanks for the answer.

I forgot to ask, isn't there some episode/movie where they explain in a summary what happened during the original series?

Thanks again.

There was a movie from 1996 by Fox and the BBC that kind of brought the Master the an end. You will meet the Master later but the 2005 Doctor Who never understood the Master and those are the wrost stoies. The orignal are better for Master stories. School Reuion does a little and there are a few that talk a little here or there but most has to do with the time between the original and the new. Kind of like The Books of the Maccabees tells what happen in the time between the Old Testamentand New Testament of the Bible.You will not get much about the original show from the 2005 show. (Many fans don't want us to refer to the 2005 Who as the new show anymore) The original show has it own page on tv.com. It is more activity than this one and you will find some very helpful people there. It is overall the best page here.

jwgrlrrajn

[5]Jun 15, 2013
    • level: 23
    I highly recommend watching at least one serial with each Doctor. My personal picks are The Aztecs for 1st, Tomb of the Cybermen for 2nd, The Three Doctors for 3rd, Pyramids of Mars for 4th (maybe City of Death, hard to say), Caves of Androzani for 5th, The Twin Dilemma for 6th (more on that later), The Curse of Fenric for 7th, and of course, the movie for 8th.

Now, regarding The Twin Dilemma, several people would say this is not one of the 6th Doctor's best episodes; however, I actually found it quite amusing regarding just how random Sixth was. If nothing else, it's a good way to see why the fans initially reacted to Sixth the way they did. He's very... different from his previous incarnations.

archangelwho

[6]Jun 15, 2013

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    I highly recommend watching at least one serial with each Doctor. My personal picks are The Aztecs for 1st, Tomb of the Cybermen for 2nd, The Three Doctors for 3rd, Pyramids of Mars for 4th (maybe City of Death, hard to say), Caves of Androzani for 5th, The Twin Dilemma for 6th (more on that later), The Curse of Fenric for 7th, and of course, the movie for 8th. Now, regarding The Twin Dilemma, several people would say this is not one of the 6th Doctor's best episodes; however, I actually found it quite amusing regarding just how random Sixth was. If nothing else, it's a good way to see why the fans initially reacted to Sixth the way they did. He's very... different from his previous incarnations.

You are correct in that I would not had picked The Twin Dilemma but I do agree with your reasons for picking it. I will have to rethink my "which to watch to get started" list.

jwgrlrrajn

[7]Jun 16, 2013
    • level: 23
    Ideally, it would be good to watch both the first and last episodes of each classic Doctor's tenure just to see what caused the regeneration, and just how different the new Doctor is from the previous one. However, that isn't very feasible due to Hartnell's regeneration missing from the archives, and the fact that Colin Baker wasn't exactly... himself... when he regenerated.

winoni71

[8]Jun 30, 2013

I finished watching Season 1, so far I would give it a 5.5 rating.

Will it get better?

archangelwho

[9]Jun 30, 2013

Eccleston never really gotten set before he left. It was a darker time in the Doctor time just comming at the end of the Time Wars and the lost of the other Time Lords. I think Tennant will be the face of Doctor Who 2005, though Smith will give him a run for his money, at Tom Baker is the face of the 1963-1989 Who. It does get better you will just have to over look the "love sick puppy" between the Doctor during season 2 & 3. That was really the only down side to Tennant time. Smith is just fun. I'm a bigger fan of the old show but if I had a chance to go with any of the Doctors I think it would be Smith though I would only but him at #5 on my list of Doctors.

winoni71

[10]Jul 3, 2013

I started the 2nd season and it seems a little better.

But there's a thing I can't understand:

Both the universe and time are supposedly infinite and yet they keep doing episodes on earth (most of them in London or GB) in the latest centuries.

Edited on 07/03/2013 2:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.

archangelwho

[11]Jul 3, 2013

He does get out a little more but he does seem to end up in England a lot. Jamie and Victoria noticed the same thing while with the 2nd Doctor in The Faceless Ones.

winoni71

[12]Jul 10, 2013

Finally an episode (2 actually, Human nature/The family of blood) which I thought were very good.

I don't want to sound overly critical, is just that I've heard nothing but praises in the years for this show, I was expecting more.

archangelwho

[13]Jul 10, 2013

When Doctor Who first returned there was debate amoung us old fans about if the show was that good or were we just thankful to have the Doctor back. Back then it ran about 50/50. I have friends who still watch the old one but will not watch the new ones any longer. But there are a lot of fans of the new show that have not nor will ever watch the old ones. I'm a fan of both but do prefer the old ones. I have found with most people that you either like Docotr Who or you don't. The fans ar ethen broken into 3 groups, 1963, 2005, both. You may want to try the older Who. I would start with Tom Baker (4th) then Jon Pertwee (3rd), Peter Davison (5th), Patrick Troughton (2nd), Sylvester McCoy (7) William Hartnell (1), Colin Baker (6)and then Paul McGann (8th). With Hatnell make sure youwatch the 1st ep and not the pilot. If you like old B/W sci-fi as I do then you could watch them in order.Just remember there is a reason that they call it a "cult classic.

steamheaduk

[14]Jul 11, 2013
    • level: 19

archangelwho wrote:

The fans ar ethen broken into 3 groups, 1963, 2005, both. You may want to try the older Who.

That's putting it mildly... ;-) There are even camps within the 1963 lot, usually split 1963-1969, 1970-1979 and then 1980-1989 with an extra camp at 1996. Even the 1980 border gets hotly contested with some liking Tom Baker's last season, but hating what followed, or others simply hating anything in the Jon Nathan Turner era (which includes Tom Baker's last season).

In the end most people prefer the Doctor Who they grew up with, but whether they like the rest varies. Surprisingly my son grew up with the 2005 Who but is now quite enjoying the classic era, as I started with back stories to the classic monsters, but so far this year we've gone through all the Troughton era (bar Space Pirates and War Games) including all the missing ones as recons and he's absolutely loved it. The key is watching it with the context of the era in which it was made.

archangelwho

[15]Jul 11, 2013

steamheaduk wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

The fans ar ethen broken into 3 groups, 1963, 2005, both. You may want to try the older Who.

That's putting it mildly... ;-) There are even camps within the 1963 lot, usually split 1963-1969, 1970-1979 and then 1980-1989 with an extra camp at 1996. Even the 1980 border gets hotly contested with some liking Tom Baker's last season, but hating what followed, or others simply hating anything in the Jon Nathan Turner era (which includes Tom Baker's last season).

In the end most people prefer the Doctor Who they grew up with, but whether they like the rest varies. Surprisingly my son grew up with the 2005 Who but is now quite enjoying the classic era, as I started with back stories to the classic monsters, but so far this year we've gone through all the Troughton era (bar Space Pirates and War Games) including all the missing ones as recons and he's absolutely loved it. The key is watching it with the context of the era in which it was made.

Winon71 being new to the show I was going to stay away from the sub groups. for now but you are correct in thateven with the 2005 show I find that fans are breaking up into the same type of sub groups.I do agree most like their 1st Doctor. Another key is watching them with your kids. I have 5 in my family who are fans, 1 who was when he was a kid because I watched Who with them. The 3 youngest I held as babies while watch so they grew up on the Doctor. My 3 own are not mainly because of my job and just nor thinking about it I did not watch the Doctor while holding them so they did not grow up with the Doctor. I'm trying to correct that mistakes but it is not easy.

winoni71

[16]Jul 22, 2013

I just started watching season 5, I don't know what to think about the new doctor.

Also, I noticed that the name that appears under the episode title is changed. If I'm not mistaken, up until season 4 all of the episodes were followed by the same name (I'm guessing it was the writer's name). I could go to Wikipedia and find out by my-self, but I don't wanna risk any spoiler.

So without saying too much, what happened?

Edited on 07/22/2013 11:52am

archangelwho

[17]Jul 22, 2013

Davis left and Steven Moffat took over when Smith came on as the Doctor. Moffat had been working under Davis but is doing things his way.

Edited on 08/02/2013 7:23pm

winoni71

[18]Jul 27, 2013

I'm almost done with season 6, I have to say it got a lot better.

Finally no more "aliens invading earth" episodes.

P.S.: I changed my profile picture almost a week ago, why does the old one keep appearing on my forum posts? I added a comment to a news article and the one appeared.

Edited on 07/27/2013 2:37pm

winoni71

[19]Aug 2, 2013
    I finished season 7, definitely the worst one.
    Let's hope the new Doctor (which we'll see in a couple of days) brings improvements.