Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Were Doctor and Rose ever a 'couple'?

Where they?

The_void_68

[1]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 18

I was just thinking, where The Doctor and Rose ever an item? Their relationship remained platonic apart from that kiss in Parting of the Ways, and I always thought that they were just friends until Doomsday when they said 'I love you' to each other. So do you think that they were a 'couple' as such, and what do you think constitutes a 'couple'?

PS. Honk if you like my new signature

Edited on 06/16/2007 6:17am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[2]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 32
    No.

SilverAntari

[3]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 4

'Don't think so.

Edited on 06/17/2007 8:16am

adelecible

[4]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 7

No.

And he didn't say it, she did. Implying does not count.

ultron29

[5]Jun 19, 2007
    Not formally but Doomsday shows they both wanted one

mchll

[6]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 1

I thinktheir relationship slowly developed into friendship in season oneandby the end of the second season their relationship was evolving into them beinga couple. I believe by the end of seasontwo their feelings for each other and their interactionswith each other were basically like that of acouple without the snogging.

ultron29

[7]Jun 19, 2007
    Hmm, I think had Rose stayed on a bit longer till season 3 then it would have been interesting to see, would the Dr ever do anything with her?

minisin

[8]Jun 20, 2007
    • level: 14
    Does the Doctor even have the correct parts to do *anything* with Rose? Yes...they were a couple...A couple of Time travelers!

mchll

[9]Jun 20, 2007

Not sure.lol I don't think the writers/producers though would have had their relationship fully develop into being a couple. I think the only reason they were hinting at the possibilitywas because they knew Billie Pipper was leaving and they would have to shake things up again.

sajwest

[10]Jun 21, 2007
    • level: 23

No i don't think so.

she obviously loved him and wanted to be a couple but i think on his part it was just friendship.

wonder what it is about the doctor that made his companions ( rose and martha ) fall for him?

Edited on 06/21/2007 10:14am

erevos11

[11]Jun 23, 2007
    Ofcourse they were. I understand that many people dont want to but that's irrelevant with what the show actually shows... I mean, how much more do anyone want to figure it out? It's dead obvious. And ofcourse obvious is that they werent a "normal" couple. But they were something more than friends and Rose was for the Doctor something more than any other companion till now. You can call it romantic love, platonic, hellish sexy, it doesnt matter. For God's sake, the only reason he didnt say THREE times that he loved her, was that that's the Doctor's character. It was a very clever move from the writers. Hold up the mystery and the "alien" personality. And kept some anti-love fans happy and dilusional.

tjaman

[12]Jun 23, 2007
    • level: 32
    Doc is like 1,000 years old. Companions come and go like summer rain. He might be genuinely fond of them, but love needs ... more.

I don't remember anyone caring or even raising the question of whether he loved Leela. Or Adric, for that matter, or any of his other companions.

rimtorra

[13]Jun 23, 2007
    • level: 9

Whoo... I'll be happily surprised if this thread doesn't (de-)evolve into a b*tch slapping and/or flame war... It seems people have extremely strong opinions on the matter of companions in the reincarnation (regeneration?) of the show and I for one would like to think it's more due to the good writing and charactarization making people care about the characters than to the insanity of us fans.

About were they or were they not... I do think Rose came to the Doctor's life when he was vulnerable and totally alone and helped him to connect. I would use the word 'love' describing their relationship. But to use it in the romantic way or call them a couple... Well it was clear that Rose loved/was in love with the Doctor. But I find it hard to believe the Doctor was in love with her.

Lots of different levels of love, people!

Of course it's cool we can all watch from our own special POV! If you're a Doctor/Rose shipper or a Doctor/martha shipper or Doctor/Jack shipper or even if Doctor/Tardis is your OTP, you'll have plenty of material to squee about. That's the fandom part of the show. Of course some will say that shouldn't be the point of a show like Who, which shouldn't be about emo and romance, but hey, if you are just for the sci-fi aspect, that's great as well.

I know people used to be all happy about different pairings in Classic Who fandom, but I'm not sure there was ever such debate as there is with the Doctor and Rose. Do tell me if I'm totally missing something...

*crawls back under the rock where it's nice and cool*

electricpeppers

[14]Jun 23, 2007
    • level: 26
    Subjectivity is the key word here. Personally, I felt they loved one another but I'm not sure to what extent the Doctor loved Rose. Love was definately there from my view though.

st1678eph

[15]Jun 23, 2007
    • level: 3

I agree with rimtorra that it is all based on a personal POV. I personally don't think they reached that actual couple stage, however I think they both loved each other on a friendship/more than friendship level. Yeah, yeah...the Doc didn't say "I love you" back to Rose (actually I think he was going to but, as usual with most men - whether they be human or alien - it's hard for them to say the words...and then, his transmission faded out).

Oh, btw...I'm here in the US and I cannot wait till July 6 (doing a happy dance around my computer)....I've been watching S1 & S2 to get myself geared up for the US premiere of S3...I hope its as good as I've heard about....

Edited on 06/23/2007 2:52pm

rimtorra

[16]Jun 23, 2007
    • level: 9
    st1678eph wrote:

I've been watching S1 & S2 to get myself geared up for the US premiere of S3...I hope its as good as I've heard about....

*happy grin*

Well, there are good eps and bad eps, but as the season goes on, it gets awesome! Just watched the latest episode and my throat actually hurts from the squeeing.

*silly fangirl*

Thewbacca

[17]Jun 23, 2007

Yes, they were, and i can prove it.

In Doomsday, in that scene in other dimensions beach, Rose says theres another Tyler on the way. The Doctor is shocked. "You're not..." he says.

I'd say that means they were more than just friends.

st1678eph

[18]Jun 23, 2007
    • level: 3
    rimtorra wrote:
    st1678eph wrote:

I've been watching S1 & S2 to get myself geared up for the US premiere of S3...I hope its as good as I've heard about....

*happy grin*

Well, there are good eps and bad eps, but as the season goes on, it gets awesome! Just watched the latest episode and my throat actually hurts from the squeeing.

*silly fangirl*

That's good to hear...It seems that most of the UK viewers on this board and the SciFi channel board seem to think that S3 is good...the "Human Nature" and "Family of Blood" eps look like they're really good...I've been good and haven't watched any of S3 on the 'net so I'm really looking forward to having my Friday nights booked up for the next 2 months...after the Doc airs, I watch Psych on SciFi's sister network...pretty much a whole evening of getting to watch yummy men...lol....
    Edited on 06/23/2007 4:48pm

_Islander_

[19]Jun 23, 2007
    • level: 31
    Thewbacca wrote:

In Doomsday, in that scene in other dimensions beach, Rose says theres another Tyler on the way. The Doctor is shocked. "You're not..." he says.

I'd suggest you re-watch that scene - Rose promtly states that she isn't pregnant, Jackie is

Thewbacca

[20]Jun 23, 2007
    _Islander_ wrote:
    Thewbacca wrote:

I'd suggest you re-watch that scene - Rose promtly states that she isn't pregnant, Jackie is
    Yes, but the Doctors first thought is that Rose is pregnant.