Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Were Doctor and Rose ever a 'couple'?

Where they?

wellsh84

[81]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 1
    Yes, but the Doctor had no problem snogging Madame Du Pompadour, so he might assume that Rose would have no problem snogging, or more,someone else. He might have suspected Mickey as the father, since Rose still kisses him and treats him like a boyfriend when she is around.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

belial_77

[82]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 17
    Well, Micky WAS her boyfriend (and still is for all we know)... and while there was friction in their relationship due to her taking off (and him getting blamed by Jackie for killing her)... they remained together... The Rose/Doctor thing was more of a "Mentor Student" platonic type thing... admittedly the shots of the doctor acting a lil put off by Rose and Mickey's relationship at the begin of "Girl in the Fireplace" could be constured as jelousy... which it was, but in the sense that now Micky has all of Rose's atention, leaving the Doctor alone again... in fact, that's what the whole issue boils down to, the reason he is so connected to his compainions now, is because he feels terriably alone in the universe since the death of the Time Lords... part of the "Lonely God" motif set-up through the new run of Who (as well as RTD's other non-cannical Who works)... but romantic notions were never part of the Doctor's world... (except w/ Reinette).

The_void_68

[83]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 18
    *Sitting in the middle wondering what's going on at the back....*

nhubi

[84]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 48
    LMH68 wrote:

So what does that make the rest of us?

*joins nhubi at the back of the class for some St. Trinian style rabble rousing*

Wake up little rabble, there you go, oh hello Hol...rabble rabble. Hey Steamy come back here with us, Islander's going get you for those '_'s'..oooh chips!

Ok, who hid the topic?

nhubi

[85]Oct 8, 2007
    Ah there it is, Belial had it.

You know I don't think Rose and Mickey really qualified as Boyfriend/Girlfriend any more and he knew it. That's one of the reasons he stayed in the alternate universe (other than his nan) because he knew she'd always choose The Doctor over him, and The Doctor knew it too. Yes the loss of the Time Lords does make him more connected, although Nine seemed to try and distance himself, in the age old if I don't care I can't get hurt fallacy, but Rose tore right through that. I suppose it all depends on what you deem as 'couple'. They may never have slept together (other than fan fic) but they were deeply connected.

Oh and he got kissed by Reinette because DT is dating SM, they just can't stop themselves

hollacious

[86]Oct 9, 2007
    Yeah I'll agree with that Nhubi! The doctor knew why Mickey stayed behind and Rose was as always totally oblivious to the reason why.

KingWev

[87]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 7

Haven't David and Sophia ended their relationship now? That's what I read, albeit in a newspaper that could well be wrong, although it seemed a genuine story anyway

steamheaduk

[88]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 19

nhubi wrote:
    Oh and he got kissed by Reinette because DT is dating SM, they just can't stop themselves

I'd always assumed that the episode was what started the dating

The_void_68

[89]Oct 9, 2007
    Once you pop you can't stop.

nhubi

[90]Oct 9, 2007
    steamheaduk wrote:

nhubi wrote:

I'd always assumed that the episode was what started the dating

No they met on Foyles War back in 2002, been seeing each other off and on ever since, not quite sure when the 'relationship' started though. I'd heard they broke up, probably due to work load for both of them and the fact she's moved to LA to be in Moonlight. Which is pretty bad since the show isn't that good and definitely not worth breaking up with a honey like DT for!

Cosmotastic

[91]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 2
    They were kind of 'unofficially' dating.

Thewbacca

[92]Oct 13, 2007
    nhubi wrote:
    Ah there it is, Belial had it. You know I don't think Rose and Mickey really qualified as Boyfriend/Girlfriend any more and he knew it. That's one of the reasons he stayed in the alternate universe (other than his nan) because he knew she'd always choose The Doctor over him, and The Doctor knew it too.
    He even told her so in Boom Town.

Thewbacca

[93]Oct 13, 2007

In Doomsday, the Doctor assumed that Rose was pregnant, rather than thinking of her mother, who was always a bit of a .... I guess hornbag would be appropiate. She tries to seduce both the Doctor and the guy from Love and Monsters, plus the Doctor and Mickey steal a glance when she says "there was never anyone else", suggesting she got a bit further with few more people. However, his first thought was Rose, who he'd been travelling with for who knows how many years (remember, due to it being a time machine, the passage of time here does not dictate the length of their journey). He also assumed she was pregnant, even though she said it was a "little Tyler". If it was Mickeys' baby, it would be a little Smith. However, if the father were to have no last name (as he has no name at all) then it would take on the mothers last name as its legal last name. This means he thought she was pregnant, even though he knew Mickey wasn't the Father.

Amazing what can be gleamed from a few simple lines.

hollacious

[94]Oct 13, 2007
    Someone mentioned that earlier in the thread.. but just because she said little tyler it doesn't mean it couldn't have been mickeys if it was her that was pregnant. Don't forget there is 3 months between canary wharf and bad wolf bay so the doctor assumed it was hers but what we don't know is if there was a possibility that he thought that it may have been his

...But I doubt it lol

LMH68

[95]Oct 13, 2007
    • level: 57
    There isn't any possibility that it was the Doctor's. Speculating on the possibility doesn't change that. I think he was feeling disappointed that she had maybe moved on already when he was having trouble letting go ... but then she had family & Mickey & he was alone.

No sex in the Tardis. That's not what the show is about.

Thewbacca

[96]Oct 13, 2007
    LMH68 wrote:
    There isn't any possibility that it was the Doctor's. Speculating on the possibility doesn't change that. I think he was feeling disappointed that she had maybe moved on already when he was having trouble letting go ... but then she had family & Mickey & he was alone. No sex in the Tardis. That's not what the show is about.
    Yeah, but you cannot deny that there is a strong case for it.

electricpeppers

[97]Oct 14, 2007
    • level: 26
    LMH68 wrote:
    No sex in the Tardis. That's not what the show is about.

Exactly.

I really don't see the line of thinking when it comes to this 'is she pregnant argument'.

nhubi

[98]Oct 14, 2007
    Thewbacca wrote:
    LMH68 wrote:
    There isn't any possibility that it was the Doctor's. Speculating on the possibility doesn't change that. I think he was feeling disappointed that she had maybe moved on already when he was having trouble letting go ... but then she had family & Mickey & he was alone. No sex in the Tardis. That's not what the show is about.
    Yeah, but you cannot deny that there is a strong case for it.

Only in the minds of fan fic writers, and that's where it belongs. I've penned a few examples on that premise myself, but although it's an interesting thought I've never seriously contemplated it within the canon of the show. You have to take the entirety of that oh so critical scene into account, not just a line that could possibly, maybe in a stretch mean one thing, but is much more likely to mean another, Occam's and all that. If they had slept together then she would have told him she loved him before this point, so it wouldn't have been that hard for her to say it again, but it was, it was admitting something she'd known for a while but never expressed. Not likely if they'd gone to bed.

hollacious

[99]Oct 15, 2007
    I've never myself thought that the doctor himself thought it was his only witnessing the discussions on the boards and other peoples fics had it happened but it is what a lot of people are speculating it, hense my previous post. I agree with what Lin said

GiverSSJ

[100]Jun 17, 2009
    • level: 13
    electricpeppers wrote:
    Thewbacca wrote:
    electricpeppers wrote:
    Thewbacca wrote:
    _Islander_ wrote:
    Thewbacca wrote:

Yes, they were, and i can prove it.

In Doomsday, in that scene in other dimensions beach, Rose says theres another Tyler on the way. The Doctor is shocked. "You're not..." he says.

I'd say that means they were more than just friends.

I'd suggest you re-watch that scene - Rose promtly states that she isn't pregnant, Jackie is
    Yes, but the Doctors first thought is that Rose is pregnant.

Doesn't mean they were going at it. He inquired because she could have had a boyfriend/Mickey.

Then why did he get a concerned look, and ask "You're not"? The Doctor is many things, but he's not jealous (at least, not this one).

Because he was concerned/shocked for someone he cares about? He loved Rose IMO and I've seen small instances where the ninth Doctor was jealous in regards to Rose, but here it was not so. They weren't going at it in the TARDIS, that should be evident. But whether fans feel that the Doctor/Rose wanted to is a different matter entirely -- they were emotionally a couple but not physically.

I concur with you that they were "emotionally" a couple. With the Ninth incarnation, it showed more clearly in The Doctor Dances in how he looked at Jack, and in Bad Wolf, where he looked like he was about to cry when Rose didn't win that "Weakest Link" game. And this carried over with the Tenth(albeit in a different way).