Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Were Doctor and Rose ever a 'couple'?

Where they?

happy-days-4-sr

[101]Jun 18, 2009
    • level: 14
    OOooo Islander will get you for un-earthing an old topic AND massive quite nesting!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

becca3ff

[102]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 1
    erevos11 wrote:
    Ofcourse they were. I understand that many people dont want to but that's irrelevant with what the show actually shows... I mean, how much more do anyone want to figure it out? It's dead obvious. And ofcourse obvious is that they werent a "normal" couple. But they were something more than friends and Rose was for the Doctor something more than any other companion till now. You can call it romantic love, platonic, hellish sexy, it doesnt matter. For God's sake, the only reason he didnt say THREE times that he loved her, was that that's the Doctor's character. It was a very clever move from the writers. Hold up the mystery and the "alien" personality. And kept some anti-love fans happy and dilusional.
    I completely agree, I mean I don't even have to comment any more you have written it all here. best post on here and this is all true...

belial_77

[103]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 17

Wow, talk about threadmancy... this thing is ancient!

I won't lie tho, it was nice reminiscing comments from Hol and Nhubi and a few other I ain't seen in forever.

archangelwho

[104]Sep 9, 2010
    • level: 18

No just very poor writing & storylines.

jwgrlrrajn

[105]Sep 9, 2010
    • level: 23
    Were Rose and the Doctor ever a couple?

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: It could have happened, but the Doctor didn't want to outlive her if they did get into a relationship, so he didn't really get into it. Now, I'm not saying that Rose is the Doctor's true love or some such garbage; I am saying, however, that they probably would have ended up together eventually. The Doctor obviously gets over his whole "curse of the Time Lords" phobia by the time of River Song, so given enough time, the same might have happened with Rose.

The real question here is whether or not their relationship would have lasted if it ever did come to pass.

Please note that I am neither a Rose fanboy nor a Rose hater. I thought she was a decent character, and I enjoyed her subplot with the Doctor, but I have to call things as I see them, and I honestly don't know how long their relationship would have lasted if it ever did happen.

pferreira86

[106]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 17

Please no. Foot in mouth

Guildy

[107]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 5

jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    Were Rose and the Doctor ever a couple? Short Answer: No Long Answer: It could have happened, but the Doctor didn't want to outlive her if they did get into a relationship, so he didn't really get into it. Now, I'm not saying that Rose is the Doctor's true love or some such garbage; I am saying, however, that they probably would have ended up together eventually. The Doctor obviously gets over his whole "curse of the Time Lords" phobia by the time of River Song, so given enough time, the same might have happened with Rose. The real question here is whether or not their relationship would have lasted if it ever did come to pass. Please note that I am neither a Rose fanboy nor a Rose hater. I thought she was a decent character, and I enjoyed her subplot with the Doctor, but I have to call things as I see them, and I honestly don't know how long their relationship would have lasted if it ever did happen.

I don't know if River counts as a romantic interest for the Doctor. The only evidence of that so far is River being cryptic about her past/the Doctor's future. If I met the Doctor every few years, and had the advantage of knowing what WILL happen the next meeting, I'd play with his head a bit too.

jwgrlrrajn

[108]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 23
    That's true, I didn't think about that, but then again, the Doctor seems to be interested in her, and he already knows when she's going to die, so who knows?

CiaraPearson

[109]Oct 1, 2010
    • level: 4

I'd say Rose thought they were until meeting Sarah Jane. That gave her a little pause and us an insight into the Doctor. He said I can't spend the rest of my life with you. I think that meant he would have a relationship if the whole regenerating thing didn't happen. He'd already lost so many people.

Then, of course, there's the Doctor-Donna meta-crisis Doctor who gets left with Rose. I would say that from that point they could be called a couple though it might have taken Rose awhile to get over the fact that there were two Doctors and 'her' Doctor left her again.

thetruesora

[110]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 22
    CiaraPearson wrote:
    He said I can't spend the rest of my life with you. I think that meant he would have a relationship if the whole regenerating thing didn't happen. He'd already lost so many people.

He meant that as in his lifespan is alot longer than Rose's. Presuming he didn't die from fighting enemies, She'd eventually die of old age where as he'd still be in a young body. He feels that as he's the last Time Lord he has to live on forever. He wasn't saying "oh if I lost my ability to regenerate we could get married" XD

Skylar_Sparrow

[111]Nov 26, 2010

In my own opinion:

* With David Tennant's portrayal of the scene, I understood it more as that a pregnant Rose would have surprised the Doctor because he didn't think that she could be with someone else.

Remember that Mickey was there with Jackie and Pete at Bad Wolf Bay, watching on. Maybe the Doctor thought that she felt abandoned and, whether out of spite, rebound, or genuine affection, went back to Mickey. Honestly, a lot of people would've been floored if Rose fell in love with anyone else.

* As close as they were, the Doctor and Rose could have emotionally been a couple. Yes, there could have been a chance that it would've progressed to something more but that would've made it complicated, especially with the change in the writers.

* Other commentors referred to the time when he told Rose that he couldn't take the pain of losing her as she grew old and died. I remember reading somewhere that, in the epsiode 'School Reunion,' Rose was frightened by the possibility that she'd be left behind, replaced (and potentially never spoken of) just as Sarah Jane had been. That was Rose's biggest fear.

Then, in the episode 'Girl in the Fireplace,' the Doctor felt the pain of losing a human woman (Reinette Poisson) who loved him and he loved back. (Spoiler Alert!) He was gone for an instant and, when he returned to get her, he found that years had passed and she had died. This was a reminder of what could/would happen with Rose too. He connects with people and it hurts when he has to leave them.

* Maybe it was really the fear of watching her grow old & die. Or it could have been a rule forbidding time lord-human inter-species relationshps. Maybe he knew that Rose would be willing to die for him and he couldn't risk that or be put in the position between saving her or humanity/a planet/universe/etc. What about the possibility that he'd find that his wife was still alive? Afterall, there's a lot of speculation about exactly what his relationship with River Song could be.

Whatever the reason may be, while the Doctor loved Rose, he knew that he couldn't let himself love her in the way that she wanted/needed him to. I think that he knew that, which is why he created Meta-Crisis Doctor.

Edited on 11/27/2010 12:47am
    Edited 2 total times.

Skylar_Sparrow

[113]Nov 27, 2010

I apologize that my lost post brought back an old thread, but the question has been on my mind since I started watching the epidsodes with the Ninth and Tenth Doctor. My first introduction of the show was actually watching episodes with the Eleventh Doctor and Amy. So I really didn't care about the Doctor-Rose storyline when I watched the first two episodes on DVD.After the Bad Wolf episode and the introduction of the Tenth Doctor, Istarted to wonder about where their relationship was going.Afterthe episode about 'The Wire,' I was hooked by their storyline. Yes, I know that it's just a show. I also know that the writers and actors have made it clear that they have no interest in bringing back Rose. Still, people can change their minds. Besides, there are some loose strings that make me wonder if there's any chance at all that Rose could return, even if just a Christmas special or a single/back-to-back episode...

(Beware that there are spoilers below if you haven't seen Parting of the Ways/Doomsday/Journey's End/Season 5 yet!)

* Even after she was left behind in Parting of the Ways, Rose jumped through time and space since she worked for the UNIT/Torchwood and was desperately trying to find him. Even if this was only possible because of a tear in the seal between the universes, it could happen again. What if she wasn't happy with Meta-Crisis? What if Meta-Crisis became the 'evil doctor' and Rose needed help stopping him?

* While the Ninth Doctor did absorb it back, couldn't there be some long-term consequence from Rose absorbing the time vortex? (Spoiler Alert!) If Meta-Crisis Doctor is half-human from the energy that captured some of Donna's DNA, and if Donna remained 'half doctor' from the same burst of energy, couldn't that have made Rose part time-lady or something to that effect?

* Assuming that Rose, accepting that she and the Doctor could never be together, fell in love with Meta-Crisis, would she go looking for the real Doctor if Meta-Crisis was dying/in danger and needed the Doctor to save him?

*There is an alternate ending to Journey's End in which the real Doctor gives Meta-Crisis a piece of the Tardis to build one of his own so that Rose and Meta-Crisis could go on traveling through time. In an interview with Davies, the writer acknowledged that this could have been a possibility, although it obviously didn't make the final cut. Could Meta-Crisis run into the Eleventh Doctor someday, with or without Rose?

* What if Rose & Meta-Crisis had a baby? Verity Newman was (sort of) the Tenth Doctor's great-granddaughter and he met her. Could he run into the child of Meta-Crisis and Rose? That child would (sort of) be his. And, as much as I wish Rose could come back, it wouldn't require her to. It would, though, give us a sense of what happened with her.

While I know that the final scenes of Journey's End implied that Meta-Crisis and Rose could have started a relationship, there's nothing that states that she did. Sure, the Doctor told Wilf in the last moments of Journey's End that all of his companions now had someone else, but that was because, before leaving,he saw Rose kiss Meta-Crisis after hearing the words she'd been dying to hear the Doctor say. That doesn't mean that Rose accepted Meta-Crisis. Maybe I missed it in an episode but I don't think that it was ever stated for certain about what happened between her and Meta-Crisis. I don't care if it's a few simple sentences mentioned somewhere in Season 6...I just wish that they had put something more concrete for closure to that storyline.

Edited on 11/27/2010 12:48am
    Edited 2 total times.

Princess_Pinky

[114]Nov 27, 2010
    • level: 11

There's always a way to bring someone back if that's what the writers want to do, but unlike Davies, Moffat isn't a Rose fanboy. In fact, he's even referred to Rose getting trapped in Pete's World as a good way to get rid of a clingy girlfriend. Plus, he's had no mention of her in season five, so I don't think he's interested in bringing her back. His focus are on his own characters: River Song(quite possibly the new love interest/The Doctor's wife)and Amy Pond.The only reason I could see himbringing Rose back wouldbe for a big special anniversary/multi-Doctor reunion.

Skylar_Sparrow wrote:
    * Maybe it was really the fear of watching her grow old & die. Or it could have been a rule forbidding time lord-human inter-species relationshps.

I highly doubt that. The Doctor never minds rules that often anyway and he's been in multiple romantic relationships with humans.

Skylar_Sparrow wrote:
    Whatever the reason may be, while the Doctor loved Rose, he knew that he couldn't let himself love her in the way that she wanted/needed him to. I think that he knew that, which is why he created Meta-Crisis Doctor.

He didn't create 10.5 for Rose, 10.5 was created due to a spontaneous accident. But since 10.5 was there, it presented the perfect solution for what to do with 10.5 and how to allow Rose to stay "with him" and her family, without him outliving her.

Skylar_Sparrow wrote:
    * While the Ninth Doctor did absorb it back, couldn't there be some long-term consequence from Rose absorbing the time vortex? (Spoiler Alert!) If Meta-Crisis Doctor is half-human from the energy that captured some of Donna's DNA, and if Donna remained 'half doctor' from the same burst of energy, couldn't that have made Rose part time-lady or something to that effect?

The TARDIS isn't a Timelady, so I don't see why Rose would become half Timelady.

Skylar_Sparrow wrote:
    *There is an alternate ending to Journey's End in which the real Doctor gives Meta-Crisis a piece of the Tardis to build one of his own so that Rose and Meta-Crisis could go on traveling through time. In an interview with Davies, the writer acknowledged that this could have been a possibility, although it obviously didn't make the final cut. Could Meta-Crisis run into the Eleventh Doctor someday, with or without Rose?

The reason The Doctor can't get back to Rose is because the cracks and rifts have been sealed up, so the TARDIS can't get through. Even if 10.5 and Rose had their own TARDIS, they also couldn't get through. So unless someone wanted to go out of their way to bring Rose and/or 10.5 back (and if this was Moffat's agenda, he could have easily done it with his storyline about the cracks and the silence, but he didn't, so I don't think bringing her/them back is his goal), there is no way they could meet just because they both had TARDISes.

Skylar_Sparrow wrote:
    * What if Rose & Meta-Crisis had a baby? Verity Newman was (sort of) the Tenth Doctor's great-granddaughter and he met her. Could he run into the child of Meta-Crisis and Rose? That child would (sort of) be his. And, as much as I wish Rose could come back, it wouldn't require her to. It would, though, give us a sense of what happened with her.

I don't know how that would be "sort of." She either was or wasn't, but we'll probably never know for certain. I got the impression that she probably wasn't since The Doctor never actually went through with marrying Joan, but we'll probably never be given confirmation one way or the other. But, again, if Rose and 10.5 had a baby, it would be born in their sealed off universe, so there's no reason for The Doctor to ever run into their child.

Skylar_Sparrow wrote:
    While I know that the final scenes of Journey's End implied that Meta-Crisis and Rose could have started a relationship, there's nothing that states that she did. Sure, the Doctor told Wilf in the last moments of Journey's End that all of his companions now had someone else, but that was because, before leaving,he saw Rose kiss Meta-Crisis after hearing the words she'd been dying to hear the Doctor say. That doesn't mean that Rose accepted Meta-Crisis. Maybe I missed it in an episode but I don't think that it was ever stated for certain about what happened between her and Meta-Crisis. I don't care if it's a few simple sentences mentioned somewhere in Season 6...I just wish that they had put something more concrete for closure to that storyline.

You didn't miss anything in season five, because Moffat didn't bring her up. I don't see why he would have or should have, since Rose's storyline was done. Over done, even, just so RTD could make her "end up with The Doctor" without making her end up with The Doctor. Not to mention, it wouldn't make sense in-story for Eleven to know what happened to her and 10.5, because they are in the sealed off universe.

Skylar_Sparrow

[115]Dec 12, 2010

You made some very good points. I think that you're right--it's very unlikely that we'll see or hear of Rose & Human Doctor anymore in the series.Davies did do due diligence (or more) to wrap up that storyline as smoothly as possible. That said and put aside, I keep remembering the line when River Song says that the doctor lies. That leaves the writers a nice loophole in case they wanted tooverridesomething that theDoctor had saidor led people to believe before. It makes me wonder how often and to what extent this line will be significant in future episodes.

TenDoctorxRose

[116]May 8, 2011

Here's my look at it:

I say: D E F I N A T E Y E S.

Sure, when Rose first met the Doctor in his Ninth Incarnation, they didn't know each other at first and slowly developed a friend-ship. That friend-ship gradually turned into a close best-friend type of relationship. Then, somewhere between 'The Parting Of Ways' and 'Doomsday', The Tenth Doctor, now reincarnated, and Rose herself had finally come to a realization that they had feelings for the other. They fell in love with another, and it is obvious that they acted like a couple.

Here's what backs me up:

* Rose and The Doctor are almost always holding one another's hand, intertwining fingers, and hugging. If that doesn't symbolize a couple, what does? I mean, of course they never really kissed.{{Except for that one time when Cassandra possessed Rose's body. That wasn't really offical. And Rose kissing the Meta-crisis -- I suppose that's borderline. But still. Never officially kissed.}} But come on, people! Do you act the way they do around each other when you're with 'just a friend' or a 'best friend'?

* Mickey's always jealous of The Doctor, and it seems as if The Doctor is always jealous of him{or at least has a slight disdain for him for whatever reason; I would say it's because of Rose}. Plus, when Jackie stowed away on board the TARDIS in 'Army Of Ghosts', didn't things get awkward? Let's face it. The Doctor liked it when only Rose with him, and vice versa.

* In one epsiode{I believe it may have been 'Doomsday'}, Rose admits to her mother that she loves the Doctor.

* In 'The Idiot's Lantern', the Doctor becomes outraged and strictly furious when he discovers that her face had been wiped and she had been thrown out into the street.
    {{THE DOCTOR: "The street. They left her in the street. They took her face, and just chucked her out and left her in the street. And as a result, that makes things... simple. Very very simple. Do you know why?"
    MR. BISHOP: "No."
    THE DOCTOR: "Because now, Detective Inspector Bishop, there is no power on this earth that can stop me!"}}

--> Of course, this could have been fury for her as a close-friend, but with the way The Doctor grits his teeth, the way he seems defiant and ready to strike anyone, and the intensity of his voice, the anger and the rage and the fire . . . personally, it just seems that love is his main motivation.

* In 'School Reunion', it is quite evident that Rose is jealous of Sarah Jane, and becomes aggervated at The Doctor when she finds out that he had left her a long time ago. She fusses at him, demanding to know if he would ever do that to her.

ROSE TYLER: I've been to the year five million, but this, this is really seeing the future -- you just leave us behind! Is that what you're going to do to me?
    THE DOCTOR: No. Not you.
    ROE TYLER: But, Sarah Jane -- you were that close to her once, and now . . . you never even mention her. Why not?
    THE DOCTOR: I don't age. I regenerate. But humans decay. You wither and you die. Imagine watching that happen to someone you . . .
    ROSE TYLER: What, Doctor?
    THE DOCTOR: You can spend the rest of your life with me. But I can't spend the rest of mine with you. I have to live on, alone. That's the curse of the Timelords.

--> Now, what do you think he was about to say? There is only one thing that would appropriately fit. "love", right? And he even says it all in his own way. Can't you all see that?

* In 'The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit', we see that Rose is obviously worried about The Doctor, and when he doesn't respond to her pleas, she's left to believe that he's dead. When the planet is being invaded by possessed Ood, she chooses to remain because "that's what the Doctor would do", showing that she really cares for him -- maybe even loves him.

--> Also, when The Doctor is being lowered into the pit, and he preparing to fall straight down, he hesitates. Not knowing whether or not he'll survive the fall, he says, "If they get back in contact - if you talk to Rose - just tell her. . . tell her . . . oh, she knows." This somewhat implies that he was going to say something important. Sure, we don't know what it was, but most of us can imagine that was going to say "tell her I love her" -- but of course, that's not The Doctor's proper character.

--> Along with this, when The Doctor confronts the body of the beast, he realizes that in releasing the spell and causing the planet to fall into the black hole, he would not only be sacrificing his life, but Rose's too, and hestitates. But then he comes to a conclusion -- a fantastic conclusion -- referring to Rose when he states, "If I believe in one thing . . . just one thing . . . I believe in her." Which, could also imply that he has a lot of faith in her -- and usually, this type of faith is only sought through best friends or a romantic couple.{{girlfriend/boyfriend}}.

* Now, one of the things that really finalize my evidence is that in 'Army of Ghosts' and 'Doomsday', The Doctor sends Rose to the Parallel Word{{Pete's World}} despite her objections to stay with him. This shows, again, that he cares for her -- putting her safety above his own selfish desires, and is shocked when she zaps herself back to the real world with him. Rose realizes that she has sacrificed never seeing her family again to be with The Doctor, and she is firm and confident with that. {{ "I made my choice a long time ago. I'm never leaving you."}}

--> One scene shows the Doctor and Rose on a distant planet. The Doctor asks Rose how long she's gonna stay with him, and to this she replies "Forever". This means that she actually plans on spending the rest of her life with him. Now, people there who think Rose and The Doctor aren't a couple, why would she do that if she didn't love him?

--> And the part we've all been waiting for! The one where Rose declares her love to The Doctor.

ROSE TYLER: I . . . I love you.
    THE DOCTOR: Quite Right, too. And I suppose . . . if it's my last chance to say it, Rose Tyler . . .

--> He was going to declare his love for her too. Don't deny it -- we all know it's true. Even one of the producers confirmed it.

* And further more, Rose is brought up as the series continues. The Doctor is constantly reminded of her, one way or another{'The Runaway Bride', 'Human Nature/Family of Blood, 'Turn Left', etc.}, and eventually she is able to come back to reality and help save the planet{in 'Journey's End'}. You can tell that they both take joviality in reuniting again, and it really irks Rose when she's forced back to Pete's World -- where she has to watch HER Doctor leave her again, and this time with the New Meta-Crisis Doctor. When she asks The Doctor what was going to say before he was cut off that day in 'Doomsday', he looks on at her sadly and remarks "Does it need saying?". When she turns to The Meta-crisis Doctor and asks him, he whispers something in her ear{{"I Love You"; And yes, one of the producers confirmed that is what he said!}}, to where she pulls him into a passionate kiss. The real Doctor takes one last glance at the two, heartsbroken, and seeming as if he had longed to do that. But he leaves her, yet again. Why? Because he had to save Donna, and Meta-crisis needed her more than The Doctor did. Because there was no point now, he could never go back. That's just how the Doctor is.

* And still, even after wiping Donna's memory and going on seperate adventures, he is still reminded of Rose. She is the last person he sees before he dies/regenerates into a new man.

So, do you get it now?! They were a couple. It was never offically broadcast or clarified, sure, but it is pretty apparent that there is sparks goin' off around these two{{BBC, writers, and producers just have a good way at hinting}}. The Doctor loved Rose romantically just as much as she did him -- it's really not that hard to see.

But hey, if you want to think that they were merely just 'best friends' with all the evidence/background info that I have displayed and took time/effort to type up, go right ahead. After all, this is just MY opinion. . . but I would like to encourage it where possible. =-)

PsyduckRanger

[117]May 8, 2011
    • level: 20
    Hi, welcome to the forum, but you should know you're not supposed to post in old topics. Before your post the last one was in December. I believe any threads whose last post was over two months ago isn't supposed to be posted in again.

Princess_Pinky

[118]May 8, 2011
    • level: 11

PsyduckRanger wrote:
    Hi, welcome to the forum, but you should know you're not supposed to post in old topics. Before your post the last one was in December. I believe any threads whose last post was over two months ago isn't supposed to be posted in again.

Where is this rule stated at? I've been a member since 2005 and nobody has ever mentioned this before on any of the TV.com forums I've been on.

Edited on 05/08/2011 6:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.

thetruesora

[119]May 9, 2011
    • level: 22
    Well if you are reading a topic that you found several pages back you shouldn't just post in it again. Look up necroposting.

steamheaduk

[120]May 9, 2011
    • level: 19
    thetruesora wrote:
    Well if you are reading a topic that you found several pages back you shouldn't just post in it again. Look up necroposting.

Though of course sometimes in not necroposting you then fall foul of "don't create a new topic when one already exists" if you genuinely have something more to add to the topic ;-)