We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Were Doctor and Rose ever a 'couple'?

Where they?

thetruesora

[121]May 9, 2011
    • level: 22
    steamheaduk wrote:
    thetruesora wrote:
    Well if you are reading a topic that you found several pages back you shouldn't just post in it again. Look up necroposting.

Though of course sometimes in not necroposting you then fall foul of "don't create a new topic when one already exists" if you genuinely have something more to add to the topic ;-)

you're not helping >_> don't confuse the matter Atleast it's not as bad as past cases of necro posting when new users have posted in topics where the last post was over a year old making you wonder why they had gone THAT far back and so it seems that they intentionally made a new account for the purpose of necroposting.

However, looking back at my post I can see that could of been misinterpreted as being rude when I was trying to answer Pinky's question. Anyway, yeah like you said atleast the person had valid things to post and was trying to get across several points to show their thoughts.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TOCM19

[122]May 9, 2011
    • level: 14
    Just unfortunate that it was on a topic that is pretty much irrelevant since even RTD was very clear on the point, and the people arguing that they were a couple a clinging to some false hope that is seemingly out of some sort of desperation to believe in Love between people that aren't even real. It baffles me.

PsyduckRanger

[123]May 9, 2011
    • level: 20
    Yes. If we want to actually respond to the topic, my thoughts (which I believe are pretty much confirmed) are that there were feelings both ways, but nothing came of those feelings until Journey's End.

TOCM19

[124]May 12, 2011
    PsyduckRanger wrote:
    Yes. If we want to actually respond to the topic, my thoughts (which I believe are pretty much confirmed) are that there were feelings both ways, but nothing came of those feelings until Journey's End.

Aye. RTD made the Doctor in to Mary Poppins, when Rose said "I love you" the first time the Doctor said "Quite right too" Which I believe is a direct quote from Mary Poppins.

RTD was trying to say that the Doctor like Mary Poppins, can't allow himself to fall in love with his companions. Mary Poppins says something along the lines of:

"What, may I ask, would become of me if I allowed myself to fall in love with all the child I take care of"

RTD was deliberately telling his audience that no matter what the Doctor would never allow himself to have feelings for Rose.

Of course Moffat blew that attitude out of the water in the Christmas Carol episode as the Doctor actually specifically says something like:

"Who would compare me to Mary Poppins, that's ridiculous" Which is only one of many examples of Moffat pointing out that he did not like what RTD had done to the series.

PsyduckRanger

[125]May 12, 2011
    • level: 20
    Seriously? That's awesome. Like the line in F&S about the CyberKing...Moffat was a harsh critic of old who pre-revival, saying at times it could be awful...

So I wonder what'll happen when someone else takes the reigns... But how could RTD have meant to imply The Doctor wouldn't fall in love with a companion when in the same scene he confirmed a cut-off line would have him say he loves her back...

TOCM19

[126]May 12, 2011
    He can never say it. I guess even if he tries to and fails he still hasn't said it, like fate or some other dramatic ironic mechanism?

The Doctor, who won't age and who has to keep travelling and never look back and move on to the next companion "when the wind changes" can never allow himself to love, It doesn't mean he doesn't love, just like Mary Poppins did really love Jane and Michael (we all know it) they just can't allow themselves to admit it, else it will destroy them.

But the Human Doctor will age and die and not regenerate and has no TARDIS and can therefore let himself Love.

MadamStacey

[128]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 2

No they weren't a couple but they had come close to it towards the end, but Rose ends up with 10/2 right? So it's a win for her at least.

ownsmyheart

[129]Jan 1, 2012
    • level: 1

Yes, they were clearly a couple. People have different definitions of a couple but I don't see how you can deny that they were a couple. The Doctor was in love with Rose, as she was in love with the Doctor. The writers/producers have confirmed this, so I don't see how we can say they weren't? Surely if they wrote the series, then it's right...? I struggle to see how you can say they were wrong if they wrote the characters of the Ninth and Tenth Doctor.

They were a couple in so many ways. If you saw them out in the street, you would automatically assume they were a couple, wouldn't you?