Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Which story do you feel was each Doctor statement story where he took the role?

archangelwho

[1]Dec 14, 2011
    • level: 18

For Matt Smith I feel it was "A Christmas Carol". Not only was this the story where he stated to the fans I'm the Doctor but along with Midnight and the Water of Mars I feel is the best story of the new Doctor Who. In fact off the top of my head it would be hard to fine many of the old stories that are better than A Christmas Carol.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[2]Dec 15, 2011
    • level: 32

For David Tennant there were a few different instances. First in the Christmas Invasion when he took down Harriet Jones with a few words because she disobeyed him. This showed that even his friends were not safe if they crossed him. In School Reunion, it was when he confronted the Headmaster and told him that he used to have so much mercy but that now you only get one warning. Then was the Family of Blood ending where he punished the Family by twisting what they wanted. He made them live forever but in eternal punishment.

For Matt Smith it was in the Beast Below. When he was faced with having to lobotomize the Star Whale. He grew frustrated and disgusted with human beings, the same species that he has protected for centuries, because of what they had done. He was willing to bring Amy home because she had chosen to forget what she had learned. It showed Smiths Doctor was a bit less human then David's and that he did not allow stupidity or weakness. This continued when Amy was infected by the Angel and The Doctor refused to lie to her to make her feel better.

Though the best was in A Good Man Goes To War when he confronted the General. Then Kovarion stated that good men have too many rules and he responded that good men do not need rules and that it would be smart for her to avoid finding out why he has so many. That scene really cemented Smith as the Doctor.

PsyduckRanger

[3]Dec 16, 2011
    • level: 20
    Rose, The Christmas Invasion and The Eleventh Hour respectively. Whilst they've all had some shoddy writing at times, I've really liked all of their first episodes and never questioned any of them as the Doctor (well, I did a bit with Tennant at first, because Eccleston was my first Doctor and I was young...).

steamheaduk

[4]Dec 16, 2011
    • level: 19
    For me -
    Rose for Nine. The particular moment being when he comes back and states "It also travels in time". I don't know why, but up to that point on first watch I wasn't sure I was watching "The Doctor", but from there onwards he had me.

For Ten. Whilst I liked Tennant, and enjoyed his stories I never felt I was watching "The Doctor" until Partners in Crime. I think the key thing to being "The Doctor" is the dynamic with those around him, and for his first two seasons that was in one degree or another concentrating on "Love sick puppy syndrome". It wasn't until he got a decent companion that he nailed being "The Doctor" for me.

For Eleven. The Eleventh Hour. The last time I saw an actor hit the ground running in the role like that was Tom Baker. Smith nailed being "The Doctor" from his first moments on screen. Of the three modern Doctors he's the only one that I could REALLY see used to be William, Patrick, Jon and Tom.

archangelwho

[5]Dec 18, 2011

steamheaduk wrote:
    For Ten. Whilst I liked Tennant, and enjoyed his stories I never felt I was watching "The Doctor" until Partners in Crime. I think the key thing to being "The Doctor" is the dynamic with those around him, and for his first two seasons that was in one degree or another concentrating on "Love sick puppy syndrome". It wasn't until he got a decent companion that he nailed being "The Doctor" for me.

I agree that the "love sick puppy" hurt Tennant and Rose. Niether will be viewed as highly as they should because of it. I hope they don't make that mistake with 11 and Amy.

archangelwho

[6]Dec 21, 2011

For Eccleston it was 'End of the World" when he allowed Lady Cassandra to end. In "Rose" he seem to be just running around.

Tennant it was " Tooth and Claw". I hate it when the Doctor Starts off just laying around. They did it with Pertwee, Davison and C. Baker with his behavior swings.

With Smith I felt he start off as fast as any of the Doctors. In "The Eleventh Hour" when he called back the Atraxi he let the whole universe know that heis the Doctor. In "A Christmas Carol" he let all of time know he is the Doctor!

archangelwho

[7]Dec 27, 2011

I know some like the keep the two era separated so I posted the same question on Doctor Who 1963.