Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Why does everyone hate Matt Smith?

  • Avatar of hot_babe101

    hot_babe101

    [1]Apr 28, 2010
    • member since: 01/15/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 248

    Why does everybody hate Matt Smith? Asoon as he was announced everyone started judging him that he wasnt going to fill David Tennants shoes!


    Well ofcourse he wasnt hes a completely different person. He brings this whole different light to doctor who.


    He makes me laugh in a way David Tennant never did.


    Everyone just assumed that Matt Smith would kill the series so they never gave him a chance in the first place. And that makes me sad.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [2]Apr 28, 2010
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,250
    I think you're a little behind the times, the general feeling on here, and most other places is that folks love Matt. He's getting rave reviews, especially at the speed he got into the role and established HIS Doctor.

    The viewing figures match up as well, more folks tuned in to give Matt a first chance with the Eleventh Hour (10.08m) than did David's first episode The Christmas Invasion (9.84m), which is especially impressive given that Christmas Episodes generally tend to gain higher figures than season episodes as they are more of an Event. Also note that generally as the number of viewing options increase, average viewing figures per program decrease. The viewing figures needed to get into the Top Ten each week has decreased year on year since 2005, so Matt beating the Christmas 2005 debut is quite unexpected.

    Yes you get the occasional idiot who won't watch it because David isn't in it, and those who deprive themselves of the new show BECAUSE David isn't in it are usually in the "Yeah but, no but" intellectual bracket, and just don't understand how the show works.
    Edited on 04/28/2010 6:17am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Samuel2484

    Samuel2484

    [3]Apr 28, 2010
    • member since: 01/07/09
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,097

    From what I've heard, everyone loves Matt and i agree with them, it's just the fans who can't give other people a chance in the TARDIS, who aren't taking a liking to Matt.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of coolcatkid

    coolcatkid

    [4]Apr 28, 2010
    • member since: 12/07/08
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 80
    I am a long time watcher of Doctor Who and Matt has done a very good job as the Doctor . It took me longer to warm up to David than it has Chris or Matt in the new series . I haven't heard many complaints either .
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of thetruesora

    thetruesora

    [5]Apr 28, 2010
    • member since: 12/13/04
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 6,286
    Last episode got major high reviews and this was the first episode they filmed for this season! They might of thought IF Matt was having any nerves during his first few days filming it could be explained as how The Doctor is feeling being around River (i'm not saying that is the case though).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Methus_2

    Methus_2

    [6]Apr 29, 2010
    • member since: 03/18/10
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 6

    Before season five of Doctor Who started up I hated Matt Smith as I could only see him as a David Tennant replacment. I am a huge fan of David Tennant so i was devistated when he left, so i needed someone to blame and Matt Smith was in the firing line.


    But now that season five has started I have started to see him for his true character and i am glad that he is part of the Doctor Who franchise.Laughing

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [7]Apr 29, 2010
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,250
    Methus_2 wrote:

    Before season five of Doctor Who started up I hated Matt Smith as I could only see him as a David Tennant replacment. I am a huge fan of David Tennant so i was devistated when he left, so i needed someone to blame and Matt Smith was in the firing line.


    But now that season five has started I have started to see him for his true character and i am glad that he is part of the Doctor Who franchise.Laughing


    To be fair, that is a fairly typical reaction to ANY change of cast in ANY series, and Doctor Who is full of it. So far we've had David haters (for replacing Chris), Freema haters (for replacing Billie), Catherine haters (for replacing Freema, including some who were Freema haters a year earlier) and even Julian haters (for replacing Terry). But in all these cases, once the actor got into the role they received lots of admiration and acclaim.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of kompongwho

    kompongwho

    [8]Apr 30, 2010
    • member since: 04/29/10
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 148

    I'm disappointed in myself for having such a mainstream reaction to this issue. Like so many others, my first impression was to passionately HATE Matt Smith - not so much because he wasn't Tennant, but because he looked like such a cliche of modern yoof trends in TV. A few minutes into the Eleventh Hour and I was opening my mind; by the end of the episode I was a convert. The guy can act. He brings in reverential references to Doctors past, and inputs a very convincing new persona. He's got a terrific sidekick in Amy too. Full credit to the guy for changing our minds so quickly and so completely.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 260483

    260483

    [9]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 03/25/09
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2

    Im sorry but David Ten was well better doctor I know Mats only done a few eps but he got nosubstance no screenpresence but if you ask a Doctor who fan they will say hes great cause they always say that cause there all in love with it I think it was a mistake to pick someone so young I mean I enjoyed the first new ep but since then only crap lol I thought some of Davids ep were bad but this is a differentleagueof crapness

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 260483

    260483

    [10]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 03/25/09
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2

    well changing your mind not everyones

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dragon22a

    dragon22a

    [11]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 2,044
    I'll admit that I was hesitant of Matt Smith because I was such a fan of Tennant. But I am impressed with Smith as the Doctor. Tennant will always be my Doctor, But Smith is fitting into the role and is making it his own. He is a different man than Tenant. Different movements, different temperment, different style. While everyone will have their favorites and least favorites and will always compare and contrast new actors to that favorite, there is no reason to not like the others. In just a few short episodes, Smith has made the role his own giving us a youthful look or excitement while showing an inner age of experience. he dove into this role and I for one hope he lasts a good long time in the role.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MasterMihael1

    MasterMihael1

    [12]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 03/12/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 10
    I am a big fan of doctor who And I realy dont think that matt smith is bad at all,some fans hate him I think they should not hate him,I will tell you something about David Tennant that you dont know,BBC didnt wanted to remove Tennant from the series now this is what you dont know they removed him becouse Tennant wanted out of the series,So all of his fans shouldnt hate BBC they should Hate David Tannant,And one more thing the show is as great as when Tennant was there so stop it angry fans.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TOCM19

    TOCM19

    [13]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 08/30/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,221
    MasterMihael1 wrote:
    I am a big fan of doctor who And I realy dont think that matt smith is bad at all,some fans hate him I think they should not hate him,I will tell you something about David Tennant that you dont know,BBC didnt wanted to remove Tennant from the series now this is what you dont know they removed him becouse Tennant wanted out of the series,So all of his fans shouldnt hate BBC they should Hate David Tannant,And one more thing the show is as great as when Tennant was there so stop it angry fans.


    Everyone knows that he left becasue he wanted to, He wanted to leave a year earlier so they made the year of special to keep him on board while he did some shakespear.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of minisin

    minisin

    [14]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,246
    260483 wrote:
    but if you ask a Doctor who fan they will say hes great cause they always say that cause there all in love with it.


    So you are saying you are not a fan of the show?
    So, why are you on its forum? I mean, I respect your views and all that, but you just seem to be a pointless hater, and well, that makes you look like a troll.
    But of course, I'm a doctor who fan, so my opinion is all tainted with love for a show. I mean, I could never hate anything in the show, Love and monsters was FANTASTIC, but of course, I'm a fan so I love everything
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TOCM19

    TOCM19

    [15]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 08/30/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,221

    minisin wrote:
    Love and monsters was FANTASTIC, but of course, I'm a fan so I love everything
    Are there really people that don't like that episode? How can anyone hate any episode that contains the iconin catchphrase of the David Tennant era:
    The Tenth Doctor wrote:
    Elton!, Fetch a spade!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of minisin

    minisin

    [16]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,246
    TOCM19 wrote:

    minisin wrote:
    Love and monsters was FANTASTIC, but of course, I'm a fan so I love everything
    Are there really people that don't like that episode? How can anyone hate any episode that contains the iconin catchphrase of the David Tennant era:
    The Tenth Doctor wrote:
    Elton!, Fetch a spade!



    My main complaint with the episode is the relationship between a man and a paving slab. And the Absorbapeterkayiwasinventedbyachildalof, don't get me started on him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TOCM19

    TOCM19

    [17]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 08/30/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,221
    minisin wrote:
    TOCM19 wrote:

    minisin wrote:
    Love and monsters was FANTASTIC, but of course, I'm a fan so I love everything
    Are there really people that don't like that episode? How can anyone hate any episode that contains the iconin catchphrase of the David Tennant era:
    The Tenth Doctor wrote:
    Elton!, Fetch a spade!



    My main complaint with the episode is the relationship between a man and a paving slab. And the Absorbapeterkayiwasinventedbyachildalof, don't get me started on him.


    Well, it was a competition winner, You have to admit, for what they were given to work with they did a great job, they basically took the piss out of the kids winnign design, by having everyone say silly things about it's name. And the scene where they took the piss about the twin planet of Raxicoricofalipatorius (or whaterver) being just...Klom.

    No doubt the Kid thought he was beign brilliant when he came up with that little Gem of information. And the writers, being forced in to a corner did the best with what they had. I thought it was great. And if I had that womans face of a paving slab.....I would.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of minisin

    minisin

    [18]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 07/31/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,246
    TOCM19 wrote:
    minisin wrote:
    TOCM19 wrote:

    minisin wrote:
    Love and monsters was FANTASTIC, but of course, I'm a fan so I love everything
    Are there really people that don't like that episode? How can anyone hate any episode that contains the iconin catchphrase of the David Tennant era:
    The Tenth Doctor wrote:
    Elton!, Fetch a spade!



    My main complaint with the episode is the relationship between a man and a paving slab. And the Absorbapeterkayiwasinventedbyachildalof, don't get me started on him.


    Well, it was a competition winner, You have to admit, for what they were given to work with they did a great job, they basically took the piss out of the kids winnign design, by having everyone say silly things about it's name. And the scene where they took the piss about the twin planet of Raxicoricofalipatorius (or whaterver) being just...Klom.

    No doubt the Kid thought he was beign brilliant when he came up with that little Gem of information. And the writers, being forced in to a corner did the best with what they had. I thought it was great. And if I had that womans face of a paving slab.....I would.


    Did the kid come up with all the Klom stuff as well? I assumed they just named and drew the picture. Well then my dislike for the episode is going down, i mean, they did well with what they were given...but still, didn't really sparkle for me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TOCM19

    TOCM19

    [19]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 08/30/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,221
    minisin wrote:
    TOCM19 wrote:
    minisin wrote:
    TOCM19 wrote:

    minisin wrote:
    Love and monsters was FANTASTIC, but of course, I'm a fan so I love everything
    Are there really people that don't like that episode? How can anyone hate any episode that contains the iconin catchphrase of the David Tennant era:
    The Tenth Doctor wrote:
    Elton!, Fetch a spade!



    My main complaint with the episode is the relationship between a man and a paving slab. And the Absorbapeterkayiwasinventedbyachildalof, don't get me started on him.


    Well, it was a competition winner, You have to admit, for what they were given to work with they did a great job, they basically took the piss out of the kids winnign design, by having everyone say silly things about it's name. And the scene where they took the piss about the twin planet of Raxicoricofalipatorius (or whaterver) being just...Klom.

    No doubt the Kid thought he was beign brilliant when he came up with that little Gem of information. And the writers, being forced in to a corner did the best with what they had. I thought it was great. And if I had that womans face of a paving slab.....I would.


    Did the kid come up with all the Klom stuff as well? I assumed they just named and drew the picture. Well then my dislike for the episode is going down, i mean, they did well with what they were given...but still, didn't really sparkle for me.


    I don't know for sure. But my little brothers mate prides himself on remembering the full name of the Jagrafess etc. It just seems to me like the Kid would have come up with "Twin planet of Raxi.." etc. thinking it was "way cool" or whatever the kids are saying now days. the whole "Klom?!" thing was just mocking him. Then in Journeys End "Klom's gone? Who'd want Klom" I laughed so hard when I heard that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of thetruesora

    thetruesora

    [20]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 12/13/04
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 6,286
    From what I read I'm sure it was just the picture and name, not the whole Klom stuff but I don't remember for certain since it was a few years ago now and I don't watch Blue Peter. Apparently he didn't like how it turned out and just made fun of it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.