Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Why does everyone hate Matt Smith?

  • Avatar of sajwest

    sajwest

    [61]Jun 19, 2010
    • member since: 09/30/06
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 1,202

    TOCM19 wrote:
    sajwest wrote:


    I will admit that I was VERY much not looking forward to David Tennant leaving.I've always thought of him as my Doctor, even though I started watching with Chris, I just didn't like him as much for some reason.David was fun and he made me want to tune in every week.I actually got a bit upset when I heard he was leaving, and set about not liking the new guy on principle....stupid huh? xD


    Now I have had the chance to watch Matt Smith in action I have completely changed my mind.I LOVE him! He is quirky and funny, and a good actor, IMO anyway.I've warmed to him quicker than I thought I would, and I'm enjoying this series immensely (just need to lok at my siggy to see that ) David will always hold the 'My Doctor' place in my heart though.


    SARAH!


    Haha.


    HELLO!


    Thought I would pop back in and give my opinion. Boy I didn't realise I'd been gone so long from here. Really only use the site to update my Editorship pages. But I had to revisit the Doctor Who board, especially with such a good series happening. Matt Smith has been great lately. 'The Lodger' made me giggle uncontrollably several times. Cool

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hand_of_Omega

    Hand_of_Omega

    [62]Jun 25, 2010
    • member since: 06/25/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 74

    Loving the second Smith to play the Doctor, why would anyone hate him, he's already my fave

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bluecatcinema

    bluecatcinema

    [63]Jun 25, 2010
    • member since: 07/11/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 1,031
    Hand_of_Omega wrote:

    Loving the second Smith to play the Doctor, why would anyone hate him, he's already my fave



    SECOND Smith? Who was the first?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hand_of_Omega

    Hand_of_Omega

    [64]Jun 25, 2010
    • member since: 06/25/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 74

    bluecatcinema wrote:
    Hand_of_Omega wrote:


    Loving the second Smith to play the Doctor, why would anyone hate him, he's already my fave


    SECOND Smith? Who was the first?


    Percy James Patrick Kent Smith

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DavidShepherd1

    DavidShepherd1

    [65]May 5, 2011
    • member since: 05/05/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Being in my 50's, I have seen and been a great fan of Dr Who for many years, fron the originalDoctor in the 60'sup to the present day Matt Smith.


    Dr who lost favour and audience in the past and was taken off air as a result of progressively bad casting in the lead role. My feeling is that Matt Smith is the first of more to come progressively poor Doctors.


    He plays the role as a watered down Keith Floyd (god rest his soul) and as the series have progressed, he simply seems to be playing the part of Floyd but with increacingly more campness. Smith lacks charisma and presence that the recent actors have brought to the character, Ecclestone as the opener for the ressurection of this cult classic was a hard act to follow ( impossible was my original thought ) however Tennant took to the part with respect to the persona of the character he was playing and imparted to the part, the gravity of his position as a Time Lord, yet gave the role a wicked and boyish sense of humour. Smith on the other hand, simply does 'smug'.


    A recent episode was 'trounced' by ITV with regard to ratings, this has not happened before, or not since the ressurection of the programme.


    Sylvester McCoy et-al killed off interest in the series many years ago, I believe Smith is in position of the inception of the demise of this, what was and could still be, a forever series.


    Very sad, but I honestly believe true.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jwgrlrrajn

    jwgrlrrajn

    [66]May 5, 2011
    • member since: 07/14/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,915
    At least 90% of people posting here disagree with your necropost, so I seriously doubt the series is going to decline.

    Heck, from what I've seen in the trailers, this is the season that define 11th.

    (evil voice): Fear me, I've killed hundreds of Time Lords.

    The Doctor: Fear me, I've killed all of them.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of thetruesora

    thetruesora

    [67]May 6, 2011
    • member since: 12/13/04
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 6,286
    I agree with the above post. I just want to add that in my opinion (not looking to turn it into a debate or say that this is something alot of people think) you say about Smith coming off as "smug" to you whereas to me Tennant had plenty of times/moments where he'd then play the doctor as smug and rather self congratulating. Also don't get me wrong, I'm quite a bit of a Tennant fan, just to me some of the love for 10 you get from fans is rather over the top.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Nordan123

    Nordan123

    [68]Jul 17, 2011
    • member since: 02/25/11
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 159

    hot_babe101 wrote:
    Everyone just assumed that Matt Smith would kill the series so they never gave him a chance in the first place. And that makes me sad.


    I've never heard of Matt Smith before (I'm not british) and I don't hate him,but I really don't like what the writers/producers etc. have changed the doctor into.


    Now he's like the kid in school noone really wanted to know or play with,but on a boring afternoon the kids didn't have anything better to do they went to his birthday party.There they discovered he had a railway set in his room and they found they loved playing with trains.


    Where is the commanding doctor (when he needed to be)? Where is the doctor who connected with people other than his companions? Where is the doctor who you just "knew" was figuring things out even if he wasn't letting on that he did?


    Didn't the doctor once say that when he changed his mind/personality/memories etc. would basically be the same? Why does he suddenly change his mind about having a companion,now he has two?


    So again,I don't hate or blame Smith but the writers/producers.


    I was really sad when I realized the doctor character was that important to the series because I LOVED the series for 4 seasons,maybe the most entertaining series I've ever watched.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of LJD3Tdance

    LJD3Tdance

    [69]Oct 6, 2011
    • member since: 06/07/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 601
    I don't hate Matt Smith. He isn't David Tennentt, but I knew he wouldn't be, I'm glad he isn't. And it wasn't easy to let him go because I liked him a lot. But when Matt leaves it won't be easy to let him go and I'll be skeptical the way I was about Matt too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MadamStacey

    MadamStacey

    [70]Dec 21, 2011
    • member since: 12/22/11
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 24

    I love eleven, he made an excellent Doctor. I also find it interesting that he's the youngest Doctor out of all of them.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cale1234567

    cale1234567

    [71]Jan 2, 2014
    • member since: 11/28/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 311

    DavidShepherd1 wrote:


    Being in my 50's, I have seen and been a great fan of Dr Who for many years, fron the originalDoctor in the 60'sup to the present day Matt Smith.


    Dr who lost favour and audience in the past and was taken off air as a result of progressively bad casting in the lead role. My feeling is that Matt Smith is the first of more to come progressively poor Doctors.


    He plays the role as a watered down Keith Floyd (god rest his soul) and as the series have progressed, he simply seems to be playing the part of Floyd but with increacingly more campness. Smith lacks charisma and presence that the recent actors have brought to the character, Ecclestone as the opener for the ressurection of this cult classic was a hard act to follow ( impossible was my original thought ) however Tennant took to the part with respect to the persona of the character he was playing and imparted to the part, the gravity of his position as a Time Lord, yet gave the role a wicked and boyish sense of humour. Smith on the other hand, simply does 'smug'.


    A recent episode was 'trounced' by ITV with regard to ratings, this has not happened before, or not since the ressurection of the programme.


    Sylvester McCoy et-al killed off interest in the series many years ago, I believe Smith is in position of the inception of the demise of this, what was and could still be, a forever series.


    Very sad, but I honestly believe true.




    true he's a very odd little character of a man in a bow tie


    and really funny looking to boot (distractingly so).


    he's not helped by moffat at the controls.


    this era does remind me of time of increasingly bad doctors


    lets hope capaldi can turn it around.


    when i watched david tennant and matt smith in day of the doctor


    matt insulted david as a matchstick man


    at least he was watchable i thought


    and doesn't look like some held his face to close to an open fireplace




    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jwgrlrrajn

    jwgrlrrajn

    [72]Jan 3, 2014
    • member since: 07/14/07
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 2,915

    Say what you want about Matt Smith's acting and the 11th Doctor's characterization, but don't dismiss him simply because he's not "attractive enough." Seriously, you completely ruin your credibility there.


    Heck, I've heard some people say they aren't happy with 12th because he isn't attractive enough. He's only been on the screen for half a minute for Pete's sake, and you're already judging him because he doesn't look as good as some of the previous Doctors?!


    Fine, you know what? Just stop watching then, you're obviously too shallow to enjoy anything other than faces. Go watch some runway models or something and leave us in peace.


    (Seriously, it's like saying you don't like Inception just because the main character isn't cute enough. Oh wait, I actually know someone who said that >_> )

    Edited on 01/03/2014 5:43pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [73]Jan 4, 2014
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,190

    jwgrlrrajn wrote:


    Say what you want about Matt Smith's acting and the 11th Doctor's characterization, but don't dismiss him simply because he's not "attractive enough." Seriously, you completely ruin your credibility there.


    Heck, I've heard some people say they aren't happy with 12th because he isn't attractive enough. He's only been on the screen for half a minute for Pete's sake, and you're already judging him because he doesn't look as good as some of the previous Doctors?!


    Fine, you know what? Just stop watching then, you're obviously too shallow to enjoy anything other than faces. Go watch some runway models or something and leave us in peace.


    (Seriously, it's like saying you don't like Inception just because the main character isn't cute enough. Oh wait, I actually know someone who said that >_> )


    It is the world we live in. And it is not just Docotr Who fans. This is why we get the TV shows we have today, and the government, the school systems, etc... Our time is at an end I fear. A true fan with the wide ranges of Doctors we have had would enjoy each for eho they are and are not. Today ther are few real fans of anything but self.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.