Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Your favorite and least favorite Doctors and why

which Doctor is your favorite

coolcatkid

[1]Feb 17, 2010
    • level: 8
    I listed the 4 that I thought would be most popular . I know that Tom Baker was the Doctor for a majority of old Who fans such as myself but I am curious as to what the take is now with all the work in by Tennant now
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

coolcatkid

[2]Feb 17, 2010
    although the last 2 have been quite remarkable Tom Baker still holds the top spot for me . he brought that character to life and his chemistry with his companions was undobtably great . Colin Baker on the other hand remains my least favorite character . bad scripts combined with his overacting made his stint as Doctor barely tolerable for me

pferreira86

[3]Feb 21, 2010
    • level: 17
    The problem with the poll is that it doesn't list all the Doctors. 'Others' means about six other Doctors, some of which aren't my favourite but I went for 'Others' anyway.

steamheaduk

[4]Feb 22, 2010
    • level: 19
    In my case Patrick Troughton is my favourite, he had the hardest job of the lot of them, being the First to have to replace the leading man, and basically set the template for what is to follow. Sadly I only have the vaguest recollections of seeing him "first time round". The only things I can remember clearly are, being scared out of my skin every time I passed a manhole cover, and wondering why his hair changed from black one week to white the next time I saw him. Of course I've watched him plenty since, so he'll always hold that special place in my heart as my first Doctor.

My least favourite, for "on screen" performance, has to be Peter Davison. He never sold it to me that he was the Doctor, he didn't seem to have the authority of such an old and wise character. I never really knew whether it was the writing, or his age at the time that did it (or the unshiftable image of his arm up a cow's backside), but I really didn't like him at the time. However, listening to his performances in Big Finish, in those, to me, he's as much the Doctor as all the others. So either the writing is better or he commands more with age. I have to say that experience worried me when an even younger Doctor was cast in Matt Smith, but having seen the first trailer he looks like the Doctor to me.

After mentioning Big Finish, I'd also like to say the Paul McGann is my favourite Audio Doctor. It's great to hear him be able to flesh out his Doctor having been denied the opportunity on screen. He works so well in the audio form with such an expressive voice. Ironically having been the shortest serving Video Doctor, I think now he has a regular season on BBC 7 each year he may now be the longest serving (story wise) Audio Doctor.

coolcatkid

[5]Feb 22, 2010

pferreira86 wrote:
    The problem with the poll is that it doesn't list all the Doctors. 'Others' means about six other Doctors, some of which aren't my favourite but I went for 'Others' anyway.

yea I know .the problem is that the polling only allows 5 entries on this site . I took the 4 that polled best on another site and used the 5th slot for others . I wish I could have done all the Drs though

archangelwho

[6]Feb 27, 2010
    • level: 18

Davidson & Tennant are my favorite. They was more like an older brother and uncle who was there to help you though life. Less McCoy & Hartnell. Just not very likeable. T. Baker #2 on favorite who just seem fun to hang around with. #2 on my least Eccleston again just not likeable.

pferreira86

[7]Feb 28, 2010

coolcatkid wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

yea I know .the problem is that the polling only allows 5 entries on this site . I took the 4 that polled best on another site and used the 5th slot for others . I wish I could have done all the Drs though

Okay, I understand. Thanks for creating the poll. Smile

Edited on 02/28/2010 4:18am

Guildy

[8]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 5

I have to say Tom Baker, because he was my first Doctor. Plus he really brought the clownishness into the role, even when he was delivering serious performances he'd throw that grin on the end of a speech, and suddenly you weren't sure if he was just kidding or not. Pertwee was my second fave, refined, sophisticated, yet ready to kick ass if he had to.

My least favorite? Colin Baker, hands down. Terrible, terrible Doctor. I didn't like that he refused his regeneration appearance, either. I guess he ran out of work later on though, because he was happy enough to do interviews for specials... Git.

Wasn't overly fond of Davisson either. Women's Lib (no offense to women, just the feminazis) really pushed him inside himself and turned him into a "90's Man". Too bloody sensitive, vulnerable... wasn't he dubbed "The Wet Vet"?

** I've got to say, the CiN special "time Crash" made me like Davisson a bit more...

Edited on 04/04/2010 9:05am

steamheaduk

[9]Apr 4, 2010
    Guildy wrote:

I have to say Tom Baker, because he was my first Doctor. Plus he really brought the clownishness into the role,

Though Tom was a great Doctor and a great clown, Patrick Troughton brought clownishness into the role many years before Tom did.
    Guildy wrote:

My least favorite? Colin Baker, hands down. Terrible, terrible Doctor. I didn't like that he refused his regeneration appearance, either.

I spoke to Colin shortly after he was sacked, and he didn't refuse to do the regeneration, he was sacked and his contract was not renewed. Just like any other person that has been sacked he had to find a new job, and he was doing that new job when the new series was being filmed.

Guildy

[10]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 5

steamheaduk wrote:
    Guildy wrote:

I have to say Tom Baker, because he was my first Doctor. Plus he really brought the clownishness into the role,

Though Tom was a great Doctor and a great clown, Patrick Troughton brought clownishness into the role many years before Tom did.
    Guildy wrote:

My least favorite? Colin Baker, hands down. Terrible, terrible Doctor. I didn't like that he refused his regeneration appearance, either.

I spoke to Colin shortly after he was sacked, and he didn't refuse to do the regeneration, he was sacked and his contract was not renewed. Just like any other person that has been sacked he had to find a new job, and he was doing that new job when the new series was being filmed.

Hmmm Must have been spin from the Beeb... not sure where I read it... I think it was the 25th Anniversary Book. But even without knocking Colin, I still couldn't stand his Doctor.

And yes, Troughton did bring it into the role, but I think Tom made it the role. Tom Baker's Doctor, you could actually not quite believe he was entirely sane.

ContinuumVortex

[11]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 15

colin just suffered from bad writing he's a good actor, also peter davison/colin was my transition into dr who so i liked them, mccoy was my fave cos i loved the little wink he done in the opening sequence and well it appealed to me at that age.

followed closely by tom baker now ive watched all i can of previous doctors my *like line* is:

7,4,10,5,11,3,8,9,6,2,1 even though this sets out who i like, i never REALLY disliked any doctor

Big finish does collin baker proud by the way

steamheaduk

[12]Apr 6, 2010
    Guildy wrote:

And yes, Troughton did bring it into the role, but I think Tom made it the role. Tom Baker's Doctor, you could actually not quite believe he was entirely sane.

Sorry, got to disagee with you there, the main defining characteristic of Troughton's Doctor was clownishness. Maybe you've not seen enought Troughton to realise this, as much of his stuff has long since gone, but a classic example still in existence being in Invasion as he runs away jumping slapstick fashion from explosions. Even the First Doctor agrees with me -
    The First Doctor wrote:

Oh, so you're my replacements... A Dandy and a Clown.

Tom bought a lot of things to the role, but clownishness he inherited from his predecessors.

pferreira86

[13]Apr 11, 2010

steamheaduk wrote:
    Guildy wrote:

Guildy wrote:

From what he's said in interviews he says he wasn't happy at the time that they wanted him back to do one story for Season 24 just so he could regenerate at the end into the 7th Doctor. He told management he was unhappy he would still be the Doctor for a whole year and to then be fired. Management never came back to him on that and so they fired him. It wasn't a great position to put an actor in. He wasn't presented with a fair choice.

steamheaduk

[14]Apr 12, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:

From what he's said in interviews he says he wasn't happy at the time that they wanted him back to do one story for Season 24 just so he could regenerate at the end into the 7th Doctor. He told management he was unhappy he would still be the Doctor for a whole year and to then be fired. Management never came back to him on that and so they fired him. It wasn't a great position to put an actor in. He wasn't presented with a fair choice.

As with most "spin" it's always what is "omitted" from context that makes things make sense - "He told management he was unhappy he would still be the Doctor for a whole year (though in reality only 3 months before filming restarts, in which he would have to find work as he would not be being paid under a long term contract, work which would have to finish in time to be back at the BBC for Doctor Who) and to then be (out of work "again" after a few weeks of work) fired."

pferreira86

[15]Apr 18, 2010

steamheaduk wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

As with most "spin" it's always what is "omitted" from context that makes things make sense - "He told management he was unhappy he would still be the Doctor for a whole year (though in reality only 3 months before filming restarts, in which he would have to find work as he would not be being paid under a long term contract, work which would have to finish in time to be back at the BBC for Doctor Who) and to then be (out of work "again" after a few weeks of work) fired."
    Well that's what he says on the 2008 Trial of the Timelord DVD. I'm sure the other guys on the documentary were exaggerating as well.

Edited on 04/18/2010 4:53am

steamheaduk

[16]Apr 19, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:

steamheaduk wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

Well that's what he says on the 2008 Trial of the Timelord DVD. I'm sure the other guys on the documentary were exaggerating as well.

You do understand what exaggerated means don't you? There's no exageration here, quite the opposite. The "short" answer he was unhappy and didn't want to go back, the "full" answer is that part of that unhappiness would relate to further complicating his employment options, by preventing him taking up work that would be interupted by turning in for one more story. Most forms of media keep things short, it's the nature of the industry, so you get the short version. Without fully understanding the second part, which rarely gets reported, the impression you get is he did it out of spite, ire or just personal feelings, however knowing the second part puts a different context on it.
    Edited on 04/19/2010 2:17am

pferreira86

[17]Apr 25, 2010

steamheaduk wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

steamheaduk wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:

You do understand what exaggerated means don't you? There's no exageration here, quite the opposite. The "short" answer he was unhappy and didn't want to go back, the "full" answer is that part of that unhappiness would relate to further complicating his employment options, by preventing him taking up work that would be interupted by turning in for one more story. Most forms of media keep things short, it's the nature of the industry, so you get the short version. Without fully understanding the second part, which rarely gets reported, the impression you get is he did it out of spite, ire or just personal feelings, however knowing the second part puts a different context on it.
    But wasn't this all covered in the main Trial of the Timelord DVD documentary? If not then the documentary wasn't quite honest in explaining Colin Baker's departure.

birkoff1

[18]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 12
    Regardless of what the poll says, It's got to be Tom Baker. The BBC did a similar, much broader poll in which David Tennant just edged out Tom Baker (25% to 23% or something like that), but the fact remains that most of the people taking these polls are too young to have seen the original run, and even if they've viewed back, to be able to view the show in the context of the era in which it was produced. I'm among that group, and I don't feel competent to form an opinion either way, but if you ask people who saw Baker fitting into the seventies and Tennant fitting into the Oughts, they're all coming up Baker, so I think he's the correct choice.

steamheaduk

[19]Apr 26, 2010
    pferreira86 wrote:

But wasn't this all covered in the main Trial of the Timelord DVD documentary? If not then the documentary wasn't quite honest in explaining Colin Baker's departure.

One, does not preclude the other, simply more explanation to put "unhappy" in context.

joshta101

[20]Apr 26, 2010
    • level: 7

I think all the Doctors are good, but there's a downside to being iconic. If you are the Doctor, and pull it off amazingly, you will always be known as the Doctor, not who you really are. Ithink everybody views David Tennant, who is my favourite if I had to say, as the Doctor now, young and old. If you go and watch a film with him in it, there will most likely be someone who goes "oh, he's the Doctor", and I think it's kind of a blessing and a curse. Also, I'm just taking a gamble here, but Matt Smith is doing a fine job right now, and I think he's shaping up to be DT's equal.