Doctor Who

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America Premiered Mar 26, 2005 Between Seasons

Gislef

Doctor Who Fan Reviews (348)

• A delightly quirky adventure through, space, time and some boring humans that get in the way

A fantastic sci fi drama, that delivers spectacular acting, suspenful stories and dramatic music to go along with, yet for some reason i cannot explain why it is my favorite show, it just is.
  • Just let go and ENJOY!

People sometimes try too hard to make sense of this show. What it really is is a roller-coaster; fast-paced, ups and towns with twists and turns. So if you want to have a really fun time then just let go and... well, you know!
  • Hooray Doctor Who!

i can't believe people say this is bad (coff, coff comments below coff) maybe i can't give a complete opionion of the show because i didn't really wacth it from the first doctor, I started with the Ninth but c'mon! This show is amazing, interesting, heartbreaking and fantastic. I bet it was really nice to grow up with a show like this. All the actors have given the doctor amazing characteristics and it's impossible not to love each regeneration, at least something of it. Also, the complex of each episode and the companions! I love this show, keep going Who!
  • Don't even think about it.

Doctor Who used to be good back when it was on in the 1960's, but since it was revived in 2005.. well.. they made a big mistake. with terrible acting. bad special effects.. it will really bore you to tears.. uncreative and overused plots, whatever you do, don't watch this unless you plan on making fun of it. other wise, stay away.
  • What the heck just happened?? -- Semi Spoliers

People are raving about the regen cycle and how deep the last show was...

Think about it, The prophecy about the doctor dying ... pointless... The silence, explained in 1 minute

( didn't they spend at least 4 episodes building this stuff up?)

Why did he stay in that town? He had the tardis it could have evacuated everyone to anywhere they wanted to go. Yeah thats not like him... but he is a fighter

Matt Smith's Doctor had a great run with alot of story behind him and honestly nothing was resolved, I haved loved the show since its reboot in 2005 but the the story ARC is what makes the doctor... the doctor and Im so frustrated at this point that Im not even looking forward tot he next series..

I might stop watching all together, if they keep up this horrible story set up and then fail we might just be seeing the doctor cancelled for another 10 years.

• Moffat! argh

Steven Moffat, he's the series executive producer and head writer - the show-runner. Ever since R. Davies left, the show seems to have taken the hive dive into an empty pool over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I still love episodes of his like "Blink" and "The Empty Child", but lately everything seems a bit too messy/redundant/disjointed/emotionally bland/forced. Instead of cleaning things up, everything always seems to be swept under a "clever" rug, not even by him, but die-hard Whovians. Admittedly, I have fallen into that category many times, but unless the show stops feeling like Indiana Jones (and the crystal skull) on Nickelodeon/Disney, I'll stop trying to jump back on the Who-wagon.

I won't get into specifics, but if you would like some, just google "moffat betrayal"

Also, nothing against Matt Smith, he's a lovable "cool" guy. I really like his rendition of the doctor.
  • The Only Sci-Fi show I don't mind watching

The Doctor is a fun character, the story is good, and you feel smarter after watching an episode.
  • The Longest running Sci Fi show of all time!

The reason why this show is so good is this.

The show is called Dr Who. It is a show about a guy/alien called the Doctor. He is quiet a deep and complex guy. He is one of the tragic hero types. He does what ever needs to be done to stop and prevent things from happening. But the thing is if you asked people who is the Doctors biggest enemy is - a lot of people would say the Daleks, I think his biggest enemy is Himself. He has a good funny side but he also has a dark side. Every so often this dark side comes out. if you strip back everything. Forget who played which doctor and the scripts and writers and aliens. The story is about this mysterious man who is fighting an internal battle with himself. When left on his own long enough, there are several episodes that show this like Turn Left, what happens when his dark side gets the better of him.

He needs someone there to help him and pull him back when he goes to far. This is the role of the companion. He has also fallen in love with the earth and humans. I think he sees himself in us a bit. We have a light side and dark side too. But the people (not always human) he choose to let in to his TARDIS are there for him to bounce off and show off too.

But there is a catch. Before they even set foot in the TARDIS he already knows there will be an ending. He (Or the TARDIS) is constantly looking to try and fix things and this often puts him in dangerous situations. People are always willing to risk there lives for him. He knows his companions are going to leave him. Either by choice or by force or sometimes they die. It is when this happens that he is hurt the most. He picks these people up our of there lives. Flies them around the universe, gets attached to them and then they leave him. leaving him alone. This is when he is hurt the most.

Sometimes every so often the Doctor puts himself in harms way and changes. But even though his face changes. Deep down he is still the same man. Go back to 1963.

50 yrs later he still flies the TARDIS, He is still learning about the earth and still be amazed(or appalled) at humans. He likes to solve things with his mind than with guns and he still he is still as mysterious as the day he emerged from the junk yard. And we still don't know his name. Doctor Who?
    This is just unacceptable. They brung this bad show back? No one in the universe likes it! I thought nothing could get worst than gravity falls or Steven Universe but this takes the cake as the overall worst show ever!
  • "brillant"

It certainly is one of the most imaginative shows ever. The "you can go anywhere, anywhen" is a fantastic premise, and the writers use it to full extent ( most of the time ), all that with lots of humor. The show can even be totally nuts, in a good way ( see : "The Big Bang" or "The wedding of River Song"'s opening ) , and can boast very original monsters : you'll be scared of the shadows, of statues, or even of creatures under your bed or in your cupboard again ! Some of the plots are hits and misses ( too many TARDIS- or screwdriver-ex-machina ), but the writers know how to use time travel elements to break your heart : see "The Girl in the fireplace", the 2011 Christmas special or "Vincent and the Doctor", my own personal favorite.

Happy 50th birthday, Doctor !
  • A show that defines good television

There are practically no words to describe the brilliance of this show.

I have never seen Classic Who so I have only watched from the Ninth Doctor but even so the scripting, the acting, the little quirks. Everything converges to create a show that is worth watching (at 4 am because of where I live).

If you love sci-fi and think that time travel is cool then this is the perfect show for you.
  • 50 years of pure greatness

This is like one of the only good shows left in these days. The Simpsons and this plus Futurama (sadly cancelled on September 4th) are my most favorite shows that have new episodes that are good.
  • When you get to the end of the first season, youll realize how great it is.

The first few episodes of the first season were mediocre, no offense. I just didnt like the aliens and the "living plastic". But because of all the recommendations, I decided to give it another chance, and I realized how good it was.

All the characters in DW is well developed and likeable, except for those that are supposed to be disliked.

Overall, 9/10.
  • Doctor Who is amazing!!

Well, I can't exactly describe the show without sounding like a lunatic, honesty. There is really words to describe it. I just know it's amazing. There is plenty of humor however it is also serious at moments. The plot may be confusing at times, but if you keep re-watching and/or check out the wiki you'll get it. This is my favorite show and I don't want Matt (current doctor) to go away!! :(
  • Doctor Who is the finest scifi television ever to grace the planet.

What can I say about Doctor Who that hasn't already been said? It's the show that inspired so many other great things after. It influenced Star Wars with R2-D2 and C-3PO. The Daleks and The Cybermen were the original versions of the robotic duo basically.

I don't know of a show that is even more epic than this golden gem of television history. Of all the doctors, I would have to say that my top three favourites would be Tom Baker, Peter Davison, and David Tennant. I hated seeing him leave the show.

I love not just the new version, but also the classics. Doctor Who is an all-round fantastic show, and surprisingly moving too.

If you haven't seen Doctor Who yet, do yourself a massive favour and start with the David Tennant episodes, and welcome to the greatness that is the finest science fiction show ever created.
  • I love Doctor Who

Doctor Who is great. I love it and it is so much more than a TV show to me. That maybe weird to say, but I don't care. I love how it messes with my emotions, it makes me think, and it just pulls me into it, like I am actually apart of it. All the Doctors have their own unique personalities as well as the companions. It's just amazing, I am glad my friends talked me into finally watching it. Now I am a huge fan.
  • Hmmm...

5.5
    am a big fan of the genre of SF & I liked watching shows like Babylon 5 and even Brit SF show Red Dwarf despite it being kind of goofy. I watched a few episodes of this show and I thought it was only fair. Not bad in the special effects department though. It is aimed at younger peoples and I do realize and I am no longer in that category but I do appreciate good SF. This is very unlike the earlier British SF character called Doctor Quatormass-which perhaps inspired this series-I'm not sure. The Quatermass character was turned into a few films back in the 1960's in England. I think based on a Brit TV show of the same think there was/is much more drama in Dr. Q-see the Dr. Q film '5 Million Years To Earth' if u can-renamed 'Quatermass & The Pit' for some obscure said.
  • fantastic show

Matt smith is the best doctor. David tennant was great as the doctor but i think Matt smith is better
  • Why steven moffat?

Matt smith i s a good doctor its just fans got over obsessed with David tennant and cant get over him, its steven moffats bad writing witch is killing doctor who of what it used too be, russel was a great writer why did he leave
  • Why Matt Smith?

I really loved this show... loved the 9th doctor and his "Fantastic", loved Billie! David Tennant was even better and Martha was great. Donna maybe gave me the creeps, I dont know why... The fourth season was maybe the best with a great ending.

But the 5th Season with the 11th doctor.. I dont know how to say it... it is just no more what it used to be. Just crap, the humour is gone. Amy is very pretty, but something is missing... I wont watch this series anymore, til a new doctor arrives! *sad*
  • MATT SMITH - DR WHO

I really like Matt Smith as Dr Who, he gives the character a soul. It's nice to see the doctor caring for his companions and it's good that the writers allow him to feel pain and love and to show it. I think his new companion Clara is great , she just throws herself into everything and seems to show the same level of intelligence worthy of the doctor. I will be sorry to see this doctor go, Matt Smith has brought a new level of crazy to the doctor.
  • Doctor who

i like all the doctors i like David Tennant and Matt Smith and i all so like all his companion's

Rose Martha Jones Donna and Rory Amy and River song who are his new companion or are they coming back ...
  • DOCTOR <3

I grew up watching re-runs of Tom Baker as the Doctor, so when I heard it was coming back in 2005 I was ecstatic, and it hasn't let me down yet. Each new Doctor brought something brand new and totally fresh and I just love everything about it. River, river river river, she is one of the most brilliant characters Moffat has ever put out, just simply outstanding <3
  • I love Eleven (seasons 5-) but you can keep the rest.

Doctor Who really depends on a great cast to deliver classic episodes. Luckily, Eleven and his companions Rory and Amy are stellar.
  • Fantastic!

I love this show! completly and totally! I wish there could be just a wee bit less waiting between episodes. But they are always worth the it!!
  • Great show, but I have one complaint.

This is probably my favorite show on television, but there's one thing that is driving me nuts about it lately. I wish they would release new episodes on a more regular schedule! There was a full year with no new episodes before the current season started, then we got 5 new episodes, and now there hasn't been a new one for a month. I want to smack the producers of the show for constantly making me wait. Does anyone know when they're going to air a new episode?
  • Dr Rocks!

Still one of the best and long running SciFi series ever! (Both old and the new reboot!)
  • The Doctors Dance

What people don't understand as to why this is the greatest series ever is because they can't follow the Doctors zig zags. That is what is so attractive, each episode is new and different each plot structure changes so much but we still have the things that always stay the same like the Doctors quick wit and his sonic screw driver. But to really understand each individual episode and how it connects with all the others you have to watch the episodes a few times. That is what makes you a real whovian when you can finally connect all the dots because you never get tired of re-watching the Doctors magical dance.
  • I just don't get it...

I really struggle to understand the devotion that is lavished upon Doctor Who by its adult fan base. As a child, I remember both enjoying and being scared by the programme when the doctor was portrayed by Tom Baker but now that I am in my thirties, it feels like a childrens television programme that has been given a peak time slot.
  • Brilliant

This show i delightful! Funny, Fun, Intelligent and Exciting. Production value starts off a little low, but is quickly forgiven once you get into the characters. Also begins campy but Steven Moffats new reign is highly stylized which I personally enjoy. Definitely start from the first season in order to get into it properly.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10