Doctor Who

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America Premiered Mar 26, 2005 Between Seasons

Gislef

Doctor Who Fan Reviews page 9 of 13

• Absolutely brilliant!!! What else do you have to say about this show?!? Well, I was on holiday in London when I was too tired too go out that evening the first episode was on telly and I thank God for that ...

Absolutely brilliant!!! What else do you have to say about this show?!? Well, I was on holiday in London when I was too tired too go out that evening the first episode was on telly and I thank God for that ... I hadn't heard about Doctor Who at all ... I guess if you do not live in Britain or the US you hardly discover this show. I instantly fell in love with the writing and the characters. Christopher Ecclestone, to some of you better known as the Invisible Guy in Heroes, was an instant hit ... you could have thought one word could be a catch phrase ... FANTASTIC!
  • Eccleston made it happen! Russell keeps it happening!

If there was an "anti" doctor who fan, it was me. Before the Eccleston incarnation of the role, I just couldn't be bothered. However, when "the Ninth doctor" got on board and they rebooted the entire affair, well, I was hooked from the get go. From the first minute of the first episode, we are talking fast, fun thrills.

And Christopher Eccleston to me, is Doctor Who. I wasn't exactly thrilled when I heard he didn't want to stay as the doctor for more than 1 season, but I did really appreciate the way Russell handled the transition between Eccleston and Tennant through the story. However, even when I watch Tennant, to me, it's the spirit of Eccleston's doctor which i'm still reminded of. It's a fun show and now in it's third season, I can't wait to see what happens!

This show gave birth to Barrowman's Jack Harkness and the creation of Torchwood (the show) and well, both shows are just awesome.
  • great series

Ok well what can i say this is a great series but it was wel better with the original man who played doctor who not david tennant i just wasn't to sure of him at all when he suddenly took over. It is not the same with Billie piper not in it either hy did they have to get rid of her ????? My little brother loves this and keeps me up to date with what is happening so i don't really need to watch it all the time so if i am on the computer he can tell me what has been happening.
  • Liked the soccer houligan persona of the 9th Doctor. I believe he has outlived the number of regenerations time lords are supposed to have. I don't care. Just glad the show is back.

While I am a big fan of the original show, the story lines are even better with better sets and special effects. It still is telling allegorical stories and cautionary tales about the human condition. Still warning of the dangers of megalomania and current polititians should pay heed. The monsters and alians are even better with updated costumes. Like Rose as his "Watson". She thinks she is so modern because she has a cell phone, etc. but is great at reacting to all the doctor shows her. I espcially like the EMPTY CHILD episode. Great science fiction. It shows how aliens could misinterpret our human situation. Maybe it shows how humans misinterpret each other, in general.
  • great but ....

although i think this is a great show with brilliantly written scripts and with a very nearly better spin off the things that bother me about it are the fact we are going to go into series 3 and it looks like by the end of that series altough it is unconfirmed we could have yet another new doctor.
    i dont mind new cast (liked captin jack) but the beeb is doing its self a diservice by not locking the cast intolonger contracts i mean how much did they spend on the first series just for christopher eccleston to walk away (although i do prefer david tennant) and then billie piper to leave at the end of the second it just seems really stupid of the beeb to do this !!
    But for anybody thats not seen this how yet you should watch it because although the cast change frequently the special effects, the directing and the scripts almost make up for that so its defently still worth the watch
  • Amazing, Innovative, HighTech

Holy cow, what a wonderful show. I never watched the first Dr. Who (I was a little young) but I absolutely adore this one. I love the way the doctor 'changes'. I adore the adventures, and the fight for the world time and again. The most wonderful thing about this show is that they can really go anywhere and do anything with it. The writers aren't constrained by logic, or what's in the here and now. I'm looking forward to seeing all the new worlds and new faces as well as the Dr and his companion. I love high-tech scifi and this show fits the bill I was sorry to see Rose go, but I suppose when the Dr changes .... it's time for his companion to change. I'm really looking forward to a long healthy life with this show!!! Congrats!!!
  • A very fun and funny show to watch. Great characters and story lines.

I recnently started watching doctor who on Sci Fi. The most I watched it the more I got into it. I found it to be very funny with the Doctors witty comments when ever something goes wrong. The characters are all well done and thought out. the episodes each have their own story to them except for a few two part episodes. They always have twists and turns that leave you wanting more and more.

My favorite character is the doctor. his Wittyness reminds me of house's sarcasim. Except his character is a lot nicer. The doctor is always bright and happy for the most part which makes his character easy to enjoy and love.
  • A classic fave!

I only got hooked on this show halfway through the new season two, but I have to admit t\'is awesome. The great plots, funny quotes, and great drama make it a classic favourite for all ages! And the cool monsters give it that sci fi touch. In short, it\'s awesome. Besides, who hasn\'t dreamed of flying through time in a police box?
  • Very fast paced which makes a delightful change to the bone grinding slowness of the original series.<br /> <br /> The magic isn't lost in 21st century glitz, the stories are mostly original even with the return of old favourites

Well do I remember as a 12 year old waiting patiently for Doctor Who to come on, on Friday evenings, then enduring 5 minutes plus of recaps and credits/theme for barely 20 minutes of slow paced action and another few minutes of closing credits and theme. The stories would be 4 to 6 episodes long and the story could've been told quite comfortably in 35 minutes. But at the time, it was about the best show around, and despite the hokey 'special' effects it was fantastic!! Star Trek came along a couple of years later, and it was incredible, but there was just something about the old white haired doctor and his companions that captivated us more.

That slow, english gentleman pace certainly isn't anywhere to be found with the new Doctor Who though. We've all grown up, our tastes are more sophisticated and so is this new Doctor Who.

By the time each episode is finished the viewer is left almost breathless and wondering where the last 50 minutes have gone.

I still love the old series and trot out my videos of all the eps I could get my hands on, but I love this this new Doctor even more.

May a million blessings be heaped on Russell Davies and Phil Collinson for reimagining it.
  • It's OK!

I used to hate this show but now i just think it's OK no i'm not saying i hate the show or like it but it's just OK and it's a decent show about a doctor and his girlfriend going on adventures together it's pretty cool i like the robot and everything this show does not rock but it's cool sorry but it's not close to being great it is cool and OK so Doctor Who fans i used to hate this show but now i changed my opinion to Doctor Who sucks to Doctor Who is OK not sure about the original since i did'nt watch it.
  • I've always been a big sci-fi fan myself, but I can't say about every show I like that it's for everyone.

The revival of Doctor Who might have been what a lot of fans were waiting for, but for me, it's what made me a fan in the first place. The show does a good job of filling new viewers in on the basic plot points that they might have missed in the older series. This is really just one of the reasons I feel comfortable saying this show is for anyone and everyone to watch. Every episode is absolutely brilliant in it's writing. While there is the story behind the Doctor and the story behind Rose continuing on through the series, each episode has a plot of it's own. Things tie together like you wouldn't expect, and all in all, Doctor Who proves to be all around entertaining and thrilling. It's not all drama, either. There's a lot of great comedic value in the show, as well. It's good for a laugh, it's thought provoking and it's brilliant. I'd reccomend it for anyone to watch.
  • two words, "time lords"

the docter as a time lord goes threw time and space to go seek threw new adventures or if there is any problems,(which there usually are).each docter that changes is a new and different person and not just acter. thats what i love about the show whenever there is a new evolvation a new era in different adventures are in town and i love how the way the acters think there way threw the problems in to more problems which leads into a mystery. also the docter doesnt just regenerate he can give up his partner that he is whith as well like rose to well who knows!!!!!!!
  • With 8 actors having previously played the role of the Doctor over the show's 40+ year history, the newest 2 were up to the task of portraying this enigmatic character with a new travelling companion, which dramatically brings the franchise back to life.

I recall only occassionally catching episodes of this ecclectic show in syndication on PBS during the late '60s through the '70s and until the show itself ended (it usually aired locally late at night., although I managed to stay up to watch "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman", "Second City TV", or "Monty Python" those late nights), and was never really a fan. But I decided this time around, to watch its resurrection. Being a Trekkie in withdrawl, I felt it the prudent thing to do, and have been very pleasantly surprised and delighted to have given it a 2nd chance. Although the actor change between seasons caught me off guard, as I had become quickly accustomed to Chris Eccleston's style, I am a firm believer in David Tennant's abilities and unique take on the character.

The premise is quite simple and the nods to the original series are noble. But it is the science fiction short stories, with the large dose of satire that the British have perfected over half a millenia, that continues to make this show and franchise stand out. In my opinion, even given the generous comic relief, wackiness of some of the plots and dialog, and bizarreness of the creatures that are encountered, no U.S. show in production today has managed to capture and utilize the literary technique of pure satire (whether political or societal) in a dramatic science fiction setting, as much as this show has successfully done.

The snappy dialog, diverse main and guest cast, and generous glimpses of present-day England, are a joy to behold. The only main weaknesses are some cliche themes that seem to resurface in the genre over and over, although this show's retelling is often unique.

I wish the show and franchise well and will definitely be tuning in as long as it airs!
  • Smart, Campy and funny: Perfection!

Smart, campy and very funny! Perfect execution on this 2005 remake of the 1963-1989 original. BTW, the original was the longest running sci-fi series ever. if your not familiar the original you have to check it out.

TV.com Dr Who 1963-1989 link:

for an accurate episode and movie listing of the original Doctor Who series check out:

I was both excited and concerned when I found out they intended to remake the original Dr Who series, My all time favorite sci-fi series.

If this was made in Hollywood it would have sucked as bad as the the modern remake of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Speaking of witch if your not familiar with the original BBC mini series based on a Douglas Adams novel you have to check it out. Don't waste your time no that crappy 2005 remake though.

Doctor Who 2005 brilliantly keeps the campy character models of the original series. They do give them all a slight touchup but for my tastes they did a great job. So many shows go over the top and add too much CGI.

I could go on and on but bottom line is, if you like sci-fi you have to see this one. And if you like the 2005 series check out the original series on DVD. For information on the Doctor Who DVD Restoration Project follow this link.

• Saturday nights are never going to be the same again, an old favourite is back and it’s taking on aliens and cybermen, bringing in a new generation and brining back memories of hiding behind the sofa for people who remember it the first time.

I grew up watching the repeats of the original series and then watched the movie everyday for a year, now that it’s back it’s getting better each series, it’s just a shame that all the old doctors couldn’t come back, it’ll be worth it if we could see that episode. Watch this program it's the best thing on television.
  • AS we all know, when someone remakes a classic show...we expect the worst.

Well, not in this case. This next generation version of Doctor Who is absolutly awesome. The show revisits all of the shows original foes, as well intrducing many new ones. Each episode has been beautifully written to follow the classic Doctor Who Storyline. Even bringing back a fwe favorites from the past..like K-9, I loved that robo dog. LOL. And the Doctor takes no crap from anyone, and I LOVE that!!! Piss him off, and you will regret it, that makes the show just rock. This was a perfect reincarnation of a classic masterpiece that shows the efforts of a great development team hiding in the background. =)
  • Better than Torchwood and old Dr Who seasons.

This new season of Doctor Who is just incredibily brilliant, when i heard that they were bringing back Doctor Who, i didn't really care aboutso i it but when i came on i watched the first episode and i've been hooked on it since, i watch it every week and i just love it, so i decided to watch the older series and well they are really not very good i hate the old episodes and only like the new series and therefore i don't watch the old episodes becuase i don't like them and i can't wait for the third season of Doctor Who.
  • One of the best sci-fi sohws ever!

This truly is one of the best shows i have ever seen. A very good show considering it's British. David Tennant and Christopher Eccilston in my opinion are the best doctors. The episodes are brilliant the characters are brillaint and the monsters are brilliant. If you have yet not seen it i STRONGLY seuggest you do. After the first episode i'm sure you'll like it, it's addictive. Currently the second season has finished and a christmas special will be show around christmas in the UK. Season 3 should be out next year and hopefully be just as good as the rest.
  • The best sci fi show I have ever watched.

Okay, you might think it's a little weird I'm in 7th grade and like sci fi along with your other regular shows. But this show is awesome. It has morals in it sometimes and it has good action. It also has 1 of my favorite elements of a show in it. Time travel. I will never stop being a fan of time travel. This show is good because it shows what could really happen if you time traveled. It has romance action sci fi comedy all wraped together to make one great show. If you are a kid like me and you want to try something different, WATCH DOCTOR WHO!!!!!!
  • The doctor who is an alien called a time lord travels around in his ship discized as a old england phone booth. He takes companions with him on his adventures which take him to trouble always even when he wants to have fun. He helps people in his own way.

I love this show since I saw the old ones my friend has on dvd so when the new season came out on scifi I just had to watch. I am in the middle of the newest season with david tennet as the doctor. My favorite doctor is christopher. I will contiune to watch the show as long as it's being shiped to the US.
  • Doctor Who is an awesome show about the \'doctor\' (who is never really given a name other than that) and his companion, Rose as they travel through time and space.

I love this show! I started watching it with my father when it came out, since he vaguely remember the original. I have never seen the original series, as it was on many many years before I was born. I am glad, though that I have not missed this show. I have always been into shows that have to do with aliens or the supernatural, so the concept of travelling both through time and space was really appealing.

I also love the cast. Billie Piper does an amazing job as Rose. I often envy Rose for being able to travel around in the tartus (is that how you spell it?). Both doctors have been fantastic, however, I am slightly more inclined to the first doctor of this series.

I enjoy the fact that since there are really only two main characters, you don\'t have to remember many names, making it easier to explain to others. I do also like that there are characters that come back, such as Cassandra (the \'last human\') and the Daliks. This show is both interesting and funny. I encourage anyone who hasn\'t already to watch it.
  • This show\'s great, the re-vamp has really worked out and I love it!!

Doctor Who is that kind of show where when I sit down to watch it, I know I\'m in for an hour of adventure.The Doctor and Rose are great, they work well together and I see the connection.The enemies they face are fierce, especially Daleks and Cybermen. Lovely science-fiction show, I was sad to see Christopher Eccleston go, but David Tennant has filled his shoes perfectly. Humuor, fun and adventure is what I get with this show, and is one of my faves of all time. Russel T Davies writes the episodes up brilliantly, it\'s a one of a kind show I\'ll always love.Long Live the show!
  • I wish I had started watching it earlier

Doctor Who?

Great!

I really really really really like Doctor Who, it's absolutley awesome. Words can't decribe the acute blend of wry humor, action and Sci Fi that combines to produce Doctor Who.

The last episode was great, the awesome battle between the Daileks (pardon bad spelling) and the Cyber Men was one of the best battles I've seen on a Sci fi show.

I'm sure much must be creditted to the original Doctor Who, but the story line is also very good, an intricate and interesting plot line for those who can be cothered to understand it and enough action for the rest of those who watch Doctor Who
  • This is the longest running sci-fi show in history for a good reason... it's BRILLIANT!

Doctor Who was launched upon the world the same year I was: 1963. I was too young at the time (7 months old) to enjoy the first series when it premiered, but as soon as I became aware of it in the mid-1970s I was hooked. I can't explain exactly what it is about the show that keeps me coming back. The premise itself is one reason — an eccentric Time Lord knocking about the space-time continuum in a navigationally-challenged 1950s-era police call box. I particularly enjoyed Tom Baker's take on the Doctor, what with his fondness for jelly babies. The sheer variety of locations, eras, companions and aliens of every imaginable shape, size and color made for a thoroughly entertaining, if somewhat bewildering, escape from the stresses and strains of everyday life. On particularly rough days, I found it relaxing, if not somewhat therapeutic, to flip on the telly and temporarily lose myself in the universe of Doctor Who. And, in case you're wondering, yes I do have a life, I've dated many girls (two of them were also Doctor Who fans!), I was married for 6 years and have two children. Oh, and I don't live in my parents basement!

Anyway, this new series is the best of all. Although I became somewhat attached to Chris Eccleston's portrayal, David Tennant is starting to grow on me. Long live the Doctor!!!
  • The Doctor is back with new companions and new friends!

Doctor Who and his marvelous time machine, the TARDIS have returned to save the world from the Cybermen and Daleks once again. But this time, he has Rose Tyler and Mickey by his side, they can't loose. Watch as they travel the universe and even meet up with K-9 again!
  • I never thought I\'d find another \"Dr\" I\'d like, but, of course, they killed the guy off at season\'s end!

Bringing Dr Who into the 21st century probably wasn\'t an easy task, even for Time Lords! ; )

But they did so, quite well!

TV\'s longest-running sci-fi series (even if you ignore the multi-year gaps and the horrible American (FOX) movie) has brought a new vibrancy to the characters. Chrisopher Eccleston (the 9th Dr) combines the spirt of all the previous Dr\'s, with his cautious exuberance and serious playfulness (if you don\'t understand these seeming contradictions, then you need to view some old videos of the original series!), and the new \"companion\", Billie Piper, brings an edginess that hasn\'t been seen since \"Leela\" (they made Rose\'s boyfriend too wimpy, IMHO).

However, I think they mucked with the TARDIS interior too much (too busy and confusing looking; bring back the simplicity and austerity of the original Tardises, and spend the money for other things!), and we need to get out of our solar system (orbitting space stations don\'t count!).
    And, I think it\'s a mistake to bring back old characters, as the web seems to imply. I want new things, but not to the point where we see a new Dr every season! There are only supposed to be 12 Dr\'s, ya know!
    (okay, who wants to start the rumors that the next Dr
    will be a woman, or a black, or a black woman? And shouldn\'t she be Jewish as well? (a nice Jewish timelord who\'s also a doctor? Oy!) ; )

Despite the flaws, the series that aired on the SciFi channel this past year was wonderful, though I had a problem with the \"neat\" ending to the final show, vis-a-vis, the \"kiss of death\" for the Dr (let\'s not have any hanky-panky with the companions!). ; )

I\'m looking forward to the upcoming season!
  • This review would have a higher mark, but the 2nd season tarnishes it slightly. Still an awesome, action-packed show though!

I'll admit, I'm not the world's biggest Doctor Who fan. My mate is though, so I'm always kept well informed of past references and I've sat though a fair few epiodes in his huge backa catalogue of videos. But to be honest, you don't really need that kind of background information if you're a new fan. The 9th Doctor was a perfect re-introduction to a classic sci-fi character.

So die-hard fans complained about the rushed stories and reduced running time, but let's face it, a lot of the classic Who was over-padded with wasted minutes. This new season was intentionally a fast-paced rollercoaster that could grab the attention a new audience on a dead Saturday night. Eccleston's Doctor is up there as my favourite. Playful and childish with a menacing ruthless streak just under the surface. He was also more emotional; a man with all the knowledge, but attached with the outsider loneliness that came with it. Another complaint was that he was less pro-active than previous Doctors. But this was because this series was about Rose's perspective of events. A new companion for a new series and the idea of her being our eyes through the Doctor's world was perfectly written. She made a great companion, one who was ready to battle for the Doctor but also showed a human side. Something that was missing from the last few companions.

Then came the 10th Doctor and a new series attitude that decided it could do whatever it wanted, now it was successful prime time. Tennent's Doctor is currently way too erratic, jumping from one emotion to the other making for a disjointed, unconvincing, personality. It doesn't really work when he's crazy then moments later is required to put in a serious personal performance. Rose became far more resourceful than allowed, giving way to too many times where people just accepted her giving orders (see: The Satan Pit), despite being a complete stranger. It never felt like she was in danger. A few episodes feel a lot like re-runs, e.g. The Idiot Lantern and Fear Her have practically the same set-up before slightly going seperate ways halfway through. The writing is too self-concious at times (the need for post-modern referencing puts Tarantino to shame), thus leaving this series less cohesive than the first one. It did end on a brilliant (if full of holes) series finale and hopefully they can calm down a bit and focus on the writing like the first series again.

Other than that, it's still an awesome series for oldies and newbies alike. Just don't listen to the die-hard's complaints.
  • Those Magnificent Men In Their Travelling Machines

As a fan of the original Dr Who, I was overjoyed when it was announced that the series was being renewed. I hotly anticipated the first new episode on March 26 2005 and was impressed from the get-go. And the show has been consistently brilliant since then. Visually stunning, with a great team of writers and directors on board, creating wonderful, funny, scary, tense and spectacular scenarios for the Doctor and his companion to encounter.

Christopher Eccleston played the ninth incarnation of the Doctor as quite light, but with hints to the darkness beneath. His Doctor was battle-scarred, haunted by the Time War and the terrible legacy of being the last of the Timelords. David Tennant has a completely different take on his version of the Doctor: more bookish sometimes, humorous yet still ready to defend himself if needs be. Billie Piper was truly impressive as Rose Tyler, the Doctor's latest companion. The production staff also worked hard to get clearance to use the Doctor's most iconic enemies too: the Daleks and the Cybermen... wouldn't be the same without them.

There have been some remarkably strong episodes, most notably 'Dalek', 'The Empty Child', 'The Parting Of The Ways', 'School Reunion', 'The Impossible Planet' and 'Army Of Ghosts'. But each episode brings something special. If you're a fan of the old series, you'll find this very true to that original spirit. If you're a sci-fi fan (or like quality TV in general), don't miss this show!
  • Better than expected -- from a Tom Baker fan.

Okay -- I was reluctant to watch the new Dr. Who on Sci-Fi because I am a long time Tom Baker fan. This guy won me over immediately. I laughed, I cried, then I laughed again. The story was more appropriate for the present day. The trashing of the Tardis hilarious. The fact that they returned to London so often and in almost real time (or as close as the Tardis can get) was inspired. The laser being back was a nice salute to the old. The Daleks another salute. Over all well done and looking foward to the next.
  • I love British television.

I haven't really watched the old series. I'm actually a new fan of this show. I learned about it when I was just on the internet. I saw something about the Doctor. The rest was history. The first episode I watched was Father's Day. It was great. Then, I watched Doomsday. It was a little campy, but it was good. This series isn't just famous for being a continuation. It's good by itself. It's more realistic. The Doctor isn't just some eccentric, old man who can give you a few laughs and some wonder anymore. Now, he's progressed. Next year, it should be good.
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13