Doctor Who

The Crimson Horror

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM May 04, 2013 on BBC America

• In my opinion this episode...

was the best so far for this second half of the season. It felt tighter, the plot was more interesting and made a bit more sense, and the Doctor and Clara are starting to act better as a pair. Of course we had Diana Rigg, but I was really surprised how old looking she is at 74, as the evil mother intent on killing off a major part of mankind. But what was good was the way it was going to happen and what was happening to all her victims, the Doctor included. It was also great to see Vastra, Jenny, and Thrax involved including that they set the era as London 1800s which provided for an interesting background. So really it was quite good and moving along the Doctor relationship with a new companion and also bringing in some old friends which made it extra fun.
  • Nice shout out...

Tegan Jovanka!!

When the Doctor was first explaining the missed landing to Clara - he said, " i once spent'ell of a long time trying to get a gobby australian to Heathrow Airport"

Gotta know the old Tom Baker/Peter Davison ones for that reference!! :)
  • Best episode this season!

When you watch this episode again, be sure to watch for the Victorian GPS "Tom Tom" Strax is using and the Doctor's screwdriver when Jenny is fending off the "Supermodels".
  • I'm the Doctor, You're Nuts

I absolutely loved that Ada called the Doctor Monster even after he recovered. It's really a good nod to the disposition he's adopted in the past few regenerations (and the fact he didn't really bat an eye at the death of Mrs. G or the last leech). I don't feel that backing into the story worked very well, but I'm not sure how much better it would have worked if it was chronological. The slip regarding Clara being the boss was interesting and I'm hoping it's not just a throw-away line. The lead-in to next week's Gaiman episode was weak, but it was a decent way to get the kids involved. Not nearly as good as the past two weeks, but not a bad episode.
  • Clever Title

I liked this episode, and was not at all surprised with whop the monster was. But, and this is my own opinion, the episodes, despite being the average 42 minutes long seem so much shorter and its rather depressing. anyone else feel that way or am i just a weirdo?
  • Back to the fun!

Loved it.
  • Excellent

This is indeed by Mark Gatiss. A splendid, fast-paced, funny, witty episode of Doctor Who. This is why we loved it in the first place. It was fun.
  • Fantastic!

Just a funpacked joyride, clever and enthralling. Nice one, mr. Gatiss.
  • Mark Gatiss' best yet

Much as I loved The Unquiet Dead by Mark Gatiss, this story by the same writer was even better. There was so much to love: the strong wit, the Gothic tone, the Doctor's dilemma (needs to be seen to be believed), and the welcome return of Madam Vastra, Jenny and Strax. Only one bum note for me (though not enough to mark the episode down), but they really need to give the feisty Clara something more amazing story-wise than what she's been given so far. Amy Pond was given extraordinary depth over a short space of time. I am hoping that the 'impossible girl' theme will soon give her some stronger material to work with. That said, she did have some nice moments in this episode, like poking the good Doctor in the face!
  • Surprisingly good

Unlike last weeks 'Journey to the Center of the TARDIS' my expectations were not very high for this episode. I thought this was going to be one of the forgettable, okay episodes. Once again, I was wrong.

First I'll start off with bad bits of this episode. Actually no. 'Bad bits' is a bit harsh. They were just moments that weren't as good as the rest of the episode. Trying not to spoil the episode for anyone - the most 'not as good as the rest' part of the episode was the lack of explanation why Clara was like what she was like when the Doctor and Jenny found her. Why in the glass container? And the other thing that annoyed me a little was Clara's hair. It was all... puffy at the front... and weird. But that didn't harm the episode at all... I'm just fussy. Now on to the many strengths of the episode...

Mark Gatiss had written this episode specifically for Diana Riggs and Rachael Stirling, which will explain why the characterization of both characters was really clever and worked really well. The lack of Clara and the Doctor in the beginning of the episode was interesting and the way they were brought in was nicely done. Jenny was shown to be much more 'independent' and could handle herself which was needed. Previously I didn't really like or care for Jenny because I guess I just didn't know her enough but this episode changed that. Mark Gatiss certainly did a good job and the ending got me really excited. I loved it. I was grinning like a big idiot at the end.