Doctor Who

The Crimson Horror

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM May 04, 2013 on BBC America

• Surprisingly good

Unlike last weeks 'Journey to the Center of the TARDIS' my expectations were not very high for this episode. I thought this was going to be one of the forgettable, okay episodes. Once again, I was wrong.

First I'll start off with bad bits of this episode. Actually no. 'Bad bits' is a bit harsh. They were just moments that weren't as good as the rest of the episode. Trying not to spoil the episode for anyone - the most 'not as good as the rest' part of the episode was the lack of explanation why Clara was like what she was like when the Doctor and Jenny found her. Why in the glass container? And the other thing that annoyed me a little was Clara's hair. It was all... puffy at the front... and weird. But that didn't harm the episode at all... I'm just fussy. Now on to the many strengths of the episode...

Mark Gatiss had written this episode specifically for Diana Riggs and Rachael Stirling, which will explain why the characterization of both characters was really clever and worked really well. The lack of Clara and the Doctor in the beginning of the episode was interesting and the way they were brought in was nicely done. Jenny was shown to be much more 'independent' and could handle herself which was needed. Previously I didn't really like or care for Jenny because I guess I just didn't know her enough but this episode changed that. Mark Gatiss certainly did a good job and the ending got me really excited. I loved it. I was grinning like a big idiot at the end.