Doctor Who

The Doctor Dances (2)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM May 28, 2005 on BBC America

• Are you my mummy?

A fantastic two-parter that introduces us to the incomparable Jack Harkness, the omnisexual captain of a now-destroyed ship and future star of "Torchwood". In the span of two episodes, he manages to start off as a slightly smarmy playboy, reveal himself as nothing more than a con man, and end up a member of the team.

We also have one of the creepiest set of (sort-of) villains to date. I mean let's face it, children are always creepy. And a child with a gas mask strapped to its face, leading an army of grown men and women similarly dressed, calling out in childlike voices for their mummy? Creepy to the nth!!

But, for once, "Everybody lives!" A genuine happy ending in the midst of wartime, complete with glowy orbs and a child that's actually quite adorable beneath that gas mask.

Add that to Jack and the Doctor trying not-so-subtly to one-up each other in order to impress Rose and the adorable dance sequence at the end and you have all the makings of a phenomenal set of episodes.