Doctor Who

The Doctor's Wife

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM May 14, 2011 on BBC America

• Guess what, hiring good writers does pay off.

So let me tell you a little story. Once upon a time there was this writer. He was a good writer. Perhaps not as good as others, but because he wrote about something very specific and very unusual in a very pleasant way, a lot of people got to know who he was.

His name was Neil Gaiman, and that very unusual, specific something was the juxtaposition of magical thinking and the commonplace. He wrote of the logic of dream and the logic of magic and the logic of common sense and, in a somewhat unexpected twist, he understood what he was writing about. And then he wrote an episode of Doctor Who. And, you know what? Like almost everything he's ever done, we're making way too much of it. Gaiman is a very talented writer. Even better, he's a solid pro. The man cut his teeth on comic books and never fell into the auteur pitfalls of your Moores and your Millers. He is still a brilliant craftsman more than he is an artist. And that's a good thing, especially when he's writing a standalone episode for a serialized tv show.

He does a magnificent job of it, for the record. If you know who he is, this is pure Gaiman. If you don't, it's damn good Doctor Who. It's funny and quirky and relatable and extraordinary all at the same time. And yes, if you're a really hardcore Gaiman fan, it *is* a blow for blow retread of The High Cost of Living, which Gaiman has been trying to adapt into a movie unsuccessfully for about a decade which, I won't lie, is kind of disappointing in that it takes away a little bit both from the episode and from the original material.

But still, another high point in a season made almost entirely of high points (last week, which I didn't review because the cat ate my draft straight out of the Internet and, frankly, I don't like you guys enough to write two of these, was a bit of a low point and still really enjoyable).

Seriously, what I would give to be twelve again. Sure, I got the original Sandman and a bunch of decent Doctor Who at that time, but then kids these days still have all that if they want it and... this! Good times.