Doctor Who

The End of the World

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Apr 02, 2005 on BBC America

• The Doctor really knows how to treat a girl on her first her to see the destruction of her planet and all.

Man does The Doctor know how to treat a girl taking her to see the end of her planet! Maybe he thought i would be better than fireworks over the Thames.

Over all, this episode serves as a nice introduction to the 'alien' side of Doctor Who, as well as dishing out humorous cracks about Michael Jackson and another reference to "Bad Wolf" (please remember this it will be important). I give The End of the World a 7/10 because, despite a rather threadbare plot and occasional cheesy moments, it did deliver on both visual and emotional strength.

• Interesting Idea

This episode had an interesting idea, and brought up some interesting questions. But overall it had a very BBC studio feel to it, very much in the vein of the old Doctor Who series, lots of latex monsters and aliens. It was mildly entertaining, but below the level of the first episode for me. I will continue to watch.
  • How can you top a TV series that begins with the end of the world?

How can you top a TV series that begins with the end of the world?

You can't.

Dr. Who is clearly a TV show determined to tackle the really big ideas. Ideas such as the mortality of the individual, the extinction of sentient species, the transience of life in the universe.

What more can one ask for than that?
  • The End of the World One of My Favorites!

The End of the World was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because it is one of my favorite episodes of the series. The story was awesome and really gave the characters a good chance to learn about each other. I loved seeing all the different alien species. The Trees were really cool. That Lady Cassandra was crazy. The special effects were amazing. I liked how every thing played out and the ending was great. The characters really connected and so the adventure has really begun!!!!!!!!!
  • The doctor takes Rose 5 billion years in the future to witness the destruction of the (now abandoned) earth. Aliens from all around come to witness the spectacle. And of course, someone tries to ruin the party.

When I wrote the review of the pilot I wondered what the fuzz was all about. This episode surprised me - in a great way. Because it was marvellous. The plot was imaginative and entertaining and I even liked Rose - how she had to cope with all the weirdness and finally the destruction of earth and how all the troubles of mankind seem so vain. Like the doctor says in the beginning: "You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you`re gonna get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or else whatnot."
    Apropos doctor: He has many great scenes in this episodes and I am really happy with Ecclestones performance.
  • Welcoming aliens one and all, but wait all is not right as the end of the world is near, what did you expect a tea party or a day at the pictures.

An excellent episode with enough colour for the sci-fi eye and enough danger that makes you really wonder if everything will work out in the end.

Come one alien, come all. The makeup and special effects department worked extra hard to give the audience a true feeling of what to expect in the Who-verse. This isn't the glue on ears and foreheads from Star-Trek, nor soulless tyrants with advanced technology; it is a menagerie of colour and shape. The Face of Boe, my personal favourite, is beautiful in its simplicity and as a feature later in the series, keep watch for his cameos.

Rose wonders whether she has gotten herself in over her head getting into trouble with a complete stranger. While complete destruction is nothing new; and the magical "save" button that happens to lie just beyond that dangerous crossing is nothing new either, the heart of the episode is a discovery of who the Doctor is himself. A wonderer who walks into a situation often ill-prepared, an intellectual smart enough to get out of trouble and as someone who will fight through danger to save innocent lives even if they have just met.

Welcome to Doctor Who. If you don't like aliens, charismatic leaders, some technical tinkering and cosmic justice handed out by a self appointed judge then say out of the TARDIS.
  • Wait a minute, the world is ending? Not the most original scenario ever witnessed in the TV and film world but episode two of the new series has the Doctor and Rose landing on Platform One to witness this historical event unfold.

7.3
    It seems the Doctor isn't here to save the Earth – just to watch its annihilation, along with others alien guests bearing gifts. Rose is a little confused by this strange inaction and so was I for the first ten minutes. It seems the Earth is a shell of it's former self. There are no humans to worry about being perished because there's none left, except for Rose and a creepy spread out shroud of a human called Cassandra, who's had more operations than we're ever likely to see and hear in Nip/Tuck's entire run or read about in the tabloids. Cassandra is one of many guests on Platform One but oddly enough, she is one of the few who is properly developed throughout the episode. The rest, while props to the make up and prosthetics department, are strangely underused and feel more like show rather than tell. Voiced magnificently by My Family's Zoë Wannaker, the moment Cassandra stepped on the screen, I could tell that she was responsible for sabotaging Platform One and the near assassination of everyone on board. The suspicion had been aroused big time when she was talking to Rose and how she addressed how all the other human had abandoned the Earth and (supposedly) procreated with other species. There was a massive element of nastiness between both her and even Rose in that exchange, although it was obviously more understandable to see where Rose was coming from rather than Cassandra. So what was the reason for Cassandra's nasty plan? Simple, she just wanted compensation so she could have more plastic surgery done. It proves your master-plan doesn't have to be grand in order for the baddie to stoop so low and as a villain Cassandra hits the right spots. Not only does she look scarier than Michael Jackson but shock, horror, she exude better menace than the Autons did last week. Her lack of remorse when she was caught was also well played by Wannaker but the fact her plan went awry and Cassandra paid the price by suffering from the heat she had intended to use to roast everyone else was terrific. Sadly another one of our suffered from the same predicament on Platform One and it was an alien worth watching for the opposite reasons I enjoyed watching Cassandra. Jabe from the forest of Cheam proved that not all aliens on this series are bad. From the moment we were introduced to her, she was charming and sweet. Her interplay and overall interest in the Doctor was a delight to watch and was it me or did she seem to have a thing for the Doctor? She was relieved when she learned that he and Rose weren't intimate and she was sincere in sympathising for his loss. The Doctor welling up in that particular scene nearly had me going but Jabe's most memorable contribution of the hour was sacrificing herself to help the Doctor save everyone else on board. What a brilliant character, who was in the episode for 35 minutes but she showed so much compassion and subtle humour, her presence was missed. It shows how much heart and humanity is in this show. We saw this in a lot of Rose's moments too, firstly with her brief conversation with plumber Ruffalo and how politely Rose addressed her. Ruffalo's death at the hands of those spider creatures was a little sad but her presence brought up some great questions for Rose to think about. Questions which she asked but some which were only half explained. Elements of this are advantageous to long time fans but it slightly isolates newcomers a little. Rose did jump into the TARDIS without really thinking about. She didn't really question the Doctor so much and even though she knew danger was always a risk, it's only now that this becomes apparent to her and started asking questions. The Doctor told her about his race being wiped out but didn't specify how or by whom. He also didn't tell her that the TARDIS can get inside her head and make her communicate with other species, so from her perspective, she is right to be a little annoyed by this and there is good conflict in that for their relationship. It's great that their relationship is being explored in this way. It's new and both of them are out of their depth in different ways but there are enough things that as a viewers that makes you want Rose to stick with the Doctor. The final act with them back in London filled with a street of oblivious passers by we got to see the playful side of their relationship. The world may always be in danger but it's nice to know that they can go and get something to eat in between trips. It's also worth pointing out that Rose will probably grow more as a person through the life she lives with the Doctor than by being with her Mum and Mickey. The Doctor pushes her and she pushes him, even this episode shows that.
  • The Doctor and Rose land on a space station acting as the host of a posh party. The A-list guests plan to watch the demise of Earth, long since abandoned, in the spirit of peace, but it someone else has mass murder on their mind.

This episode is a nice addition to the pilot episode. It starts right after the pilot ends and quickly gets Rose and the Doctor going on a funny, space adventure set in the distant future. Some of the space aliens on the ship are important characters and the story provides some exampless of how the future is not simply a grand, democratic, egalitarian uptopia. The special effects are very impressive, with a real sense of danger and suspense involved without it being too graphic. I especially liked the nice music samples and how they were used in the storyline as classic earth music.
  • Our first voyage with the new Doctor!

The first episode to feature a journey in the Tardis of the new shows!

We meet Lady Cassandra who appears in the later shows too. She's always an interesting character but we don't get to see her real face quite yet.

The episode itself was really quite interesting. The end of the world and loads of new species. In terms of it's position in the series, I think this was really great having this as a second episode. It introduces the real nitty gritty fact about how that Doctor Who isn't about just time but about different planets and that the Earth ending doesn't mean time ends.

It introduces you to an array of different species and characters and you see the Doctors emotional side come out once or twice. The episode twists are very good and the general plot was very interesting!
  • Brill special effects.

Apparently this was the most expensive episode of the season and I have respect for the Dr Who crew. This must have been a very hard episode to make with the Earth and all of the aliens. It gives you a sneak peek at what aliens we might be heading for in the future. And of course 'The Last Human' the Lady Cassandra which was a work of art.

You can see the relationship between Rose and the Doctor being tried to be ripped apart but the connection is just too strong.

At the end, we go back to Earth and they have chips, such and English thing to do!
  • For humor, better than the pilot. But...um, this is a pretty silly episode.

6.8
    The first time I ever saw "The End of the World" was back when Sci Fi (the US channel) had their premiere of Doctor Who - and I hated it. I thought it was beyond ludicrous. On second viewing, it sort of grew on me, but it's definitely not a stand out episode for me, although it has its moments.

This episode transpires directly after the events of "Rose". The Doctor and Rose travel five billion years into the future and land on a space center out in space where a group of aliens has come to gather to watch Earth explode. The "last human" - a "woman" who apparently was born a boy - Cassandra - is also there, but she looks far from human - she's little more than stretched out skin. Basically, as Rose later calls her, a "b*tchy trampoline".

This episode brings up some interesting things to ponder on - what it means to be human, the fact that one day life and this world as we know it will no longer be here, etc. But this episode was just a little too weird, in my opinion.
  • A tad heavy-handed, but enjoyable nonetheless.

In general, I just thought that Cassandra was going a bit too far in the effort to make a comment on society's obsession with beauty and following fads. Nevertheless, this was a great way to introduce several different alien races and diversify the Whoverse a bit, both for Rose and the audience.

The Doctor bopping along to Soft Cell was CLASSIC. We got some great interaction between him and a secondary character, as well as some more backstory, and some great interaction between him and Rose as well. We get their usual teasing flirtation (that Piper and Eccleston do an absolutely PHENOMENAL job of - it always comes off so naturally), a bit of jealousy from Rose, and some soul-searching for her character as well, ending with them as a team once again. I cannot say enough good things about their dynamic - I really enjoy how they can go from being completely at odds with one another (though usually they both have very valid concerns coming from their own points of view) to giggly and flirty at the drop of a hat.
  • The Doctor: “Fantastic!” Jabe the Tree: “I don’t understand. Just what is fantastic about that?” Just about everything I’d say.

A short seven days on from the fervent anticpation that preceeded the previous week's debut episode, this Saturday's airing of "The End Of The World" was unfortunately overshadowed by the news of Christopher Eccleston's departure. One can easily picture a substantial share of the hordes of dithering die-hards, willing to embrace Dr Who 2005, but still undecided, giving up at the first hurdle. After all, why go to all the bother of climbing the mountain if someone coming back down tells you the view is rubbish? Better to find out in the foothills.

As a result this imaginative slice of Who was probably greeted with less fan interest than it deserved, and this is a shame as it was really rather good. Perhaps, after 16 years of hiatus and of imagining our "perfect Who", that we all need reminding that sometimes the fun lies in making the effort and journeying to the summit regardless.

Eccleston's Doctor had some memorable moments in this episode, some might even dare to say at least one **classic** Who moment (the fleeting appearance of tears in his eyes as Jabe mentions the fate of Gallifrey) that would have served to utterly dismiss the doubts of the undecided and gain him acceptance, were it not for the fore-knowledge that his days piloting the TARDIS were already numbered.

"The End of the World" boasted several similarly small, but impressive touches that served to raise the show above the simple premise as a sum of its parts. The "core" story was uncomplicated, and the eye-pleasing menagerie of aliens smacked of the BBC effects department showing off for the sake of it (but brought back quaint memories... "Curse of Peladon", anyone?) but all this can be forgiven in the light of (pun unintentional) the impressive sun-expansion and orbital Earth shots, and especially the subtle development of both the Doctor's and Rose's characters, which, let's face it, was the object of the exercise and what we all wanted to see. It's notable that for an episode during which the pair spend most of their time apart, their relationship has by the end of it all cemeted into a closeness some Doctors and companions never achieved, even after dozens of episodes. It is also ironic that for the first time a companion has a home to return to, and the Doctor hasn't.

OK, what was good? Rose, and Billie Piper. Her disorientation and culture shock, her standing up to the Doctor, and questioning her decision to join him. The one-liners ("Wait til you see the bill"). The big big news about Gallifrey. The mercurial Doctor. The I-Pod. Stepping through the fan blades.

What was bad? The Platform One computer's ponderous and irritating attempt at sampling. "Sun-Filter descending, Sun-Filter rising, Sun-Filter descending", etc. anon (a latter day "Vacuum Shield Off" for all those "Enlightenment" fans). The drawn out "suspense" sequences. The Shrek 2-like stabs at contemporary in-jokes (the National Trust would never be around in the year 5 Billion - who would pay the subscriptions and display all those car stickers in their spacecraft?) The glib resolution, and linear plot (more mystery and intrigue, please, Russell).

In summary, if "Rose" was the first tentative step forward, the character development in "The End of the World" represents both feet firmly on the ground and Dr Who 2005's format being successfully established. Time to have some fun with it, and find out where it can take us.
  • Rose and the doctor go to an end of the world party and meet a variety of strange creatures

I like this episode alot
    after making friends with rose the engineer dies horribly
    the doctor is a haunted lonely man
    having lost his homeworld and all his people.
    Rose is shocked and disgusted about
    the party aspect of the proceedings
    until she learns earth has long been evacuated
    and is now owned by the national trust.
    Even the continents have been moved back to a "classic" configuration.
    The cassandra plot line was kinda in the background but not really all that important to me.
    The doctor and roses relationship was the best part of the series for me
    Jabe and the doctor also had an interesting rapour
    and it was sad to see her go

watch and enjoy
  • The Mysterious Affair At Platform 1

Building from the solid start of ‘Rose’, ‘The End Of The World’ really ups the ante and provides a truly thrilling and wonderful episode, at times playing out like an Agatha Christie mystery in space (this is no bad thing!). For her first trip in the TARDIS, The Doctor decides to take Rose five billion years into the future to a space station called Platform 1, which is hosting a very special event. The day the sun consumes the Earth. In attendance on Platform 1 are a variety of weird and wonderful aliens, which initially freaks Rose out. But amongst the great and the good of the galaxy, someone or something has put into place a sinister plan. Mechanical spiders are sabotaging the ship, leaving it wide open to be consumed along with the Earth. But which of the guests is responsible? And can the Doctor figure it out in time to save them all?

Again, it’s another very visually impressive episode. The designs of the aliens are marvellous and the costume designers and make-up have worked extremely hard to create the on-screen effects. My personal favourite is the Moxx Of Balhoon! The digital effects of the Earth’s destruction are also incredibly detailed and look fantastic. Some great acting from both Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper in this episode; both are conflicted, Rose by her decision to travel with a man she barely knows, The Doctor with the truth and knowledge of the Time War, and that really comes out. Some good strong guest performances as well, most notably from Zoe Wanamaker as the voice of ‘the last human’ Cassandra (a thin flap of skin stretched on a frame), giving a deliciously over-the-top turn but never lapsing too much into pantomime.

Yasmin Bannerman was also good as the tree-woman Jabe; there was some great chemistry between her and Christopher Eccleston, especially in the scene where Jabe tells the Doctor she knows he’s the last of the Time Lords. The script, by Russell T Davies, is also nicely pitched between elements of broad comedy and understated drama. Slight caveats with the episode: the whole thing with Rose and Jackie was a bit pointless (especially Rose being sad that her mum would be dead 5 billion years on; of course she would be!) Cassandra’s motivation for the sabotage set-up- money- was also a bit of a cop-out. These slight problems aside, this ranks, in my opinion, as one of the best episodes of the series.
  • The Doctor takes Rose to the End of the World...

Basic Plot
    The Doctor and Rose travel to the year Five Billion to witness the death of the Earth by the expanding sun along with some alien delegates including the last human, some trees and a face in a tank. But onboard the space station, Platform One, a murderer is operating with deadly sabotage in mind.

Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper continue to impress, as does the fantastic CGI and design.
    Zoe Wanamaker gives a good performance as Cassandra, and the Face of Boe is especially cool.
    The fan room scene is a bit cliched and silly, but it's still dramatic (in a way).
  • The Doctor and Rose land mere hours before the destruction of Earth, and battle against mechanical spiders and a piece of skin.

Well, now, this was unexpected. The second episode of the series, and the character\'s have already begun to develop, somewhat.

The Doctor is now being portrayed in the slightly more realistic role of \"stranger, who may be a kidnapper\", while Rose becomes less reliant on his services.

The villainess of the story if wonderfully portrayed by Zoe Wanamaker, who makes the evil trampoline come alive and wreck havoc.

The special effects are amazing, and give life to the more spectacular scenes, in the space ship's engine room.

The introductions of all the different alien characters, breathe new life into the series, and bring forth possible enemies and allies for the future.

With that in mind, ladies and gentlemen, let's look forward to next week\'s episode. Shall we?
  • Fine Just Fine...Fine

I liked this episode. The obvious reference to Restaurant at the End of The Universe is there....it\'s fine, just fine. It\'s great to see pop culture references...Michal Jackson...Soft Cell....good stuff. Rose gets a Top-up to call her mum....fine...Tree people...fine...just fine. Anywho(no pun intended)...I liked it...I\'ll watch it again and recommend it to friends.
  • Time's up!

This episode starts immediately after Rose runs into the TARDIS like in the first episode. The Doctor takes Rose five billion years into the future to the end of the world. Apparently, everyone has left Earth and the sun is about to expand and destroy it. The Doctor and Rose are aboard a satellite orbiting Earth with aliens who have come to watch the planet's destruction. Also aboard the satellite, besides Rose, is the last humam: Cassandra, who is just a long piece of skin with a face. While aboard the satellite, The Doctor improves Rose's cell phone so that it can call her mom in the past. During the episode, one of the guests sabotages the satellite in an effort to kill everyone else. With the help of The Doctor, the sabotage dosen't go exactly as planned. Rose also learns about the Doctor's people: the Time Lords.
  • Alien-tastic

Ok, I was looking forward to this episode so much after the next-time preview after Rose because I loved the look of all the aliens, but after the episode I felt a little disappointed as the aliens weren’t used as much. But it was still a great episode despite that:

The idea of a stretched piece if skin with eyes and lips? Brilliant! I love Cassandra, even more when she turned out to be the villain. Another thing I loved was the blue people, including the Moxx of Balhoon.

The moment with the Jukebox being called an iPod made me laugh, so did the Doctor dancing. But as well as comedy, I also loved the action: the sun filters descending, I was worried for Rose when she was in that room, and I felt sorry for Jabe when she burned to death.

The story was well-paced with great lines and a god plot. Let down by the fact it had to be rushed, it would have been better as a 2-parter. The story although being a good one felt crammed togtether with one thing happening after another.
    But the end was done perfectly, first the Doctor gets Cassandra back and blows her up, lol, that was brilliant. Then there’s the emotion. Rose feeling upset because no one was there to see the Earth die. A classic moment followed by a humerous one “I want chips”.

A great episode but again, should have been a 2-parter.
  • liked it

we find out more about the Dr, great funny lines, the LAdy Cassandra is so hilarious,I went around saying mosturize me for hours, and it was well written well acted, the saddness that because everyone was trying to survive noone noticed the death of the earth... classic makes me love this show even more
  • The second half of the US two hour premiere, was much better than the first hour on many ways.

While the first episode of this series “Rose” was a typical plot episode of any series, to introduced us to all of the major players and hints of some story arks, in the new series and “Rose” did that well. While that is the strength of most plot episodes, a good majority of them are not to well on making you want to care about these people. It there just to tell who is who and that is it, nothing more and nothing less. The job of making you care about these people belongs to other later episodes.
    The second episode “The End of the World” dose that well, for it forgoes all of the introductions from the pervious episode and goes right into character development, the thing that fans of any show wants. For you already have a general knowledge of who these people are and now it time to put them is some type of danger.
    Rose, whom started out a little bit of airhead in the first episode, seems to be adjusting to her new role as the Doctor’s companion and understanding all of the joys and dangers that come with this position that she has found herself in. Her first big test to this position of hers is meeting all of the different type of aliens, and while meeting one would be okay for a first timer, but meeting a whole group of them at once, with all of their customs that might seem to strange to her, would be a little to hard. Her mixture of feelings of fascination, repulsion, and curiously, is quiet believable and understandable for a person that had only seen faces that belong to her one race. Billie Piper, seems to be fitting quite well in this role of hers and that she might be one of more remember able Doctor’s companion.
    Chris Eccleston ,seems to give the role as The Doctor a new look and feel to the role. We all know that his character is a genius and an alien, but unlike the other actors that had played the role over the years, he seems to make the character a little more approachable than other actors did. I also like the quirky nature that he has put into the character, it reminds me what Tom Baker did for the character, that no matter how serious it would get he would always find a way to say something funny.
    Also the special effects in this episode improved ten fold, with complete computer graphic scenes that look like that they could be in some type of science show that would be talking about the death of our sun. While these effects aren’t on the level of an American SF show, like a “Stargate”, they are still good. Another thing that I did like was the makeup job that they did with the Trees, a job that was great and on the level of what would be seen on an American SF show.
  • Great second half to an introductory double-bill!

The only thing I disliked about it was the Doctor's "Deep South\" crack. Rose was not being racist. Her reaction to seeing all those extra-terrestrials is one that would probably be mirrored by most everybody else (myself included). After all; televisual and cinematic representations are one thing. To meet the real deal, in such a large group, all at once?

Slight relapse into culture shock. Nothing more!

In fact, her romance with Micky should have been proof enough, in itself, that she's not a racist. Likewise, the way she tells off Lady Cassandra! Who, btw, represents the best lampooning of cosmetic surgical obsession since John Carpenter's ESCAPE FROM L.A.

All in all, then, I think Rose Tyler will prove to be the good Doctor's smartest and feistiest traveling companion since Sarah Jane Smith, herself.
  • This second episode, The End of the World, was a much better episode of Doctor Who.

The introduction of the Doctor Who universe continues with the Doctor taking Rose forward in time to the destruction of the Earth. There she begins to grasp what it’s like to be the Doctor’s partner, with all of the strangeness and danger that the position entails.

The special effects improved a hundred fold from the first episode. From the shorts of the space station in orbit to the costumes of the aliens to the cool looking robotic spiders, the special effects of this episode were looking top notch. It was much better than the mannequins were from the previous episode.

It was a good show and had a nice surprise ending. Rose’s stinging rebuke to Cassandra was rather well done. I liked it.
  • Platform One Written by Russell T Davies Directed by Euros Lyn

Doctor (to Rose): “You think it’ll last forever. The people and cars and concrete but it won’t. Then one day it’s all gone, even the sky”.

Wait a minute, the world is ending? Not the most original scenario ever witnessed in the TV and film world but episode two of the new series has the Doctor and Rose landing on Platform One to witness this historical event unfold. It seems the Doctor isn’t here to save the Earth – just to watch its annihilation, along with others alien guests bearing gifts. Rose is a little confused by this strange inaction and so was I for the first ten minutes.

It seems the Earth is a shell of it’s former self. There are no humans to worry about being perished because there’s none left, except for Rose and a creepy spread out shroud of a human called Cassandra, who’s had more operations than we’re ever likely to see and hear in Nip/Tuck’s entire run or read about in the tabloids. Cassandra is one of many guests on Platform One but oddly enough, she is one of the few who is properly developed throughout the episode. The rest, while props to the make up and prosthetics department, are strangely underused and feel more like show rather than tell.

Voiced magnificently by My Family’s Zoë Wannaker, the moment Cassandra stepped on the screen, I could tell that she was responsible for sabotaging Platform One and the near assassination of everyone on board. The suspicion had been aroused big time when she was talking to Rose and how she addressed how all the other human had abandoned the Earth and (supposedly) procreated with other species. There was a massive element of nastiness between both her and even Rose in that exchange, although it was obviously more understandable to see where Rose was coming from rather than Cassandra.

So what was the reason for Cassandra’s nasty plan? Simple, she just wanted compensation so she could have more plastic surgery done. It proves your master-plan doesn’t have to be grand in order for the baddie to stoop so low and as a villain Cassandra hits the right spots. Not only does she look scarier than Michael Jackson but shock, horror, she exude better menace than the Autons did last week.

Jabe from the forest of Cheam proved that not all aliens on this series are bad. From the moment we were introduced to her, she was charming and sweet. Her interplay and overall interest in the Doctor was a delight to watch and was it me or did she seem to have a thing for the Doctor? She was relieved when she learned that he and Rose weren’t intimate and she was sincere in sympathising for his loss.

The Doctor welling up in that particular scene nearly had me going but Jabe’s most memorable contribution of the hour was sacrificing herself to help the Doctor save everyone else on board. What a brilliant character, who was in the episode for 35 minutes but she showed so much compassion and subtle humour, her presence was missed. It shows how much heart and humanity is in this show.

We saw this in a lot of Rose’s moments too, firstly with her brief conversation with plumber Ruffalo and how politely Rose addressed her. Ruffalo’s death at the hands of those spider creatures was a little sad but her presence brought up some great questions for Rose to think about. Questions which she asked but some which were only half explained. Elements of this are advantageous to long time fans but it slightly isolates newcomers a little.

Rose did jump into the TARDIS without really thinking about. She didn’t really question the Doctor so much and even though she knew danger was always a risk, it’s only now that this becomes apparent to her and started asking questions. The Doctor told her about his race being wiped out but didn’t specify how or by whom. He also didn’t tell her that the TARDIS can get inside her head and make her communicate with other species, so from her perspective, she is right to be a little annoyed by this and there is good conflict in that for their relationship.

It’s great that their relationship is being explored in this way. It’s new and both of them are out of their depth in different ways but there are enough things that as a viewers that makes you want Rose to stick with the Doctor. The final act with them back in London filled with a street of oblivious passers by we got to see the playful side of their relationship. The world may always be in danger but it’s nice to know that they can go and get something to eat in between trips. It’s also worth pointing out that Rose will probably grow more as a person through the life she lives with the Doctor than by being with her Mum and Mickey. The Doctor pushes her and she pushes him, even this episode shows that.

Also in “The End Of The World”

The “Previously On” bit had no voiceover. Kind of strange but cool in a way.

Cassandra: “I don’t look a day over 2000. Moisturize me, moisturize me”.

Guests on Platform One included the Face Of Bo, Mox Of Balhoon who brought saliva as a gift, Repeated Mean, Cassandra who brought a Jukebox and an Ostrich egg, Jabe and two followers brought a twig (cutting of her grandfather) and the Doctor and Rose who brought breath.

Rose (re guests): “You look at them and they’re alien”
    Doctor: “Good thing I didn’t take you to the Deep South”.

Rose: “Five billion years later and my Mum is dead”
    Doctor: “Bundle of laughs you are”.

The Earth death times were 30 minutes, 25 minutes, 20 minutes, 3 minutes and 2 minutes before the beautiful explosion happened.

Doctor (re disaster): “Fantastic”
    Jabe: “I don’t understand. In what way is this fantastic?”

Nifty Titanic reference from last episode was thrown in during the Doctor and Jabe’s conversation.

Rose: “It’s better to die than to live like a bitchy trampoline like you”
    Cassandra: “What would you know”?

Cassandra’s has had five husbands; her mother was from the Arctic desert and her father from Texas. She’s also had 708 surgeries and referred to humans as mongrels.

Rose: “Let me out”
    Doctor: “Well it would be you”.

Cassandra: “Burn baby, burn”
    Jabe: “Then you’ll burn with us”.

Jabe mistook Rose for being the Doctor’s wife, partner, concubine and prostitute. Rose’s reaction to the last one was hilarious.

Rose (re Cassandra): “Help her”
    Doctor: “Everything has it’s time and everything dies”.

Bad Wolf was mentioned during the disaster on board. Didn’t the Nestene consciousness mention that as well?

Doctor: “You’ve seen how dangerous it is. Do you wanna go home?”
    Rose: “I don’t know”.

Standout music: “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell and “Toxic” by Britney Spears.

Would it be wrong to say that I preferred “The End Of The World” to “Rose”? Maybe but I think this episode delivered a lot more in comparison to the opener. It was more complicated and emotional and also a little darker. Both Eccleston and Piper continue to impress and Russell’s scripts show the kind of ambition needed for more UK television drama at the moment.

• The Doctot takes Rose to the year 5 billion to watch with other wealthy aliens and the last proper human being alive has the sun expands qand destroys the earth. But evil is afoot and everyone is a suspect?

This was an amazing episode. I'm not saying it is the best in the series but it is definetly one of them. It is very interesting to see what their their im age of the future is and to have this point in time for Rose's first journey. It is cleverly done and the aliens are great. This is a very interesting and entertaining episode that cannot be missed.
  • So, you like them? Now we'll make you care about them.

I actually think this episode should be viewed in tandem with "Rose" -- almost as a two-hour Pilot. If the first hour introduces us to the characters, this hour makes you care about them. It's a really nice contrast from the sinister, but slightly goofy "plastic people come to life!" plot to this hour about the disinterest of the universe's species in the destruction of the earth. It takes that whole "you think the world revolves around you" mentality to a whole other (depressing) level.

It's also a lovely contrast to see Rose's home planet being destroyed in the same episode as we find out about the Doctor's home planet -- and origins. The last scene, with Rose observing the oblivious world with new eyes -- having just seen it blown to bits ("All that history and no one was even looking") and the Doctor responding to her leap of faith with a confession of his own is truly moving.

This episode also sets up the "two against the world" mentality that will carry on through later episodes. But highlighting each of the main character's origins in the same episode creates sympathy for each of them -- both from the audience and each other. And it then strengthens that relationship as the core of the series.
  • All I can say is WOW.

All I can say is WOW.

The entire first 15 minutes is just knock down drag out hilarious, almost on an intelligent slap stick level. From the Doctor girating to get the Tardis moving, to Soft Cell's Tainted Love...(I actually gasped!). I don't think I've ever laughed this hard watching Dr. Who!!! And that crack from the Doctor: "I give to you the gift of the air from my lungs!!!" OMG!!! LMAO

The biggest stroke of brilliance is the reference to Masque of Mandragora, that the Tardis allows Rose and the Doctor to hear all languages as English. BRILLIANT!!!!

From the open humor of the first 15 minutes, we turn quickly serious when the Doctor is very reluctant to tell Rose more about himself and Gallifrey. A very stark contrast. And then it slowly regains the humorous looseness before, with cracks about Rose being the Doctor's prostitute and even a remark about Michael Jackson.(!??) Ok, and the Britney Spears, well I had to shake my head and laugh at it being referred to as a "traditional ballad." This DEFINITLY isn't your daddy's Doctor Who!!!! The Doctor even said "what the HELL is that!" lol

Aside from all that, this is more like regular who than the first episode was. The Doctor arrives and has to figure out what's going on. He and Rose are separated from a good chunk of the story, very much like standard WHO epics. And then naturally he has to save her from near death. Standard. lol

The collection of alien creatures reminds me very much of Daleks Masterplan, with all those weird delegates.

And you know, after all that talk this last week about the Doctor always giving his enemies a chance, the Doctor LETS the villain die!!! He could have saved her, but he lets her burst. Even after Rose asked him to save her.

And with the ending, it got very serious again very quickly. I got the feeling that the war the Doctor mentions that destroyed Gallifrey is in reference to the mention of the "war" concerning the Nestenes, in the last episode. I also get the feeling that the war involved a very old enemy...perhaps the Daleks? Could they destroy Gallifrey? Also, perhaps the Doctor only thinks he's the last timelord, but there could be others out there he doesn't know about?? Amazing stuff and loose ends that can be tied up in the future...

One thing that is notable is Rose's obvious disatisfaction to all of the goings on. And she does a way better job than Ace in that regard. Just in the facial expression alone.

Unfortunately, this episode doesn't particularly hold up on repeated viewings like Rose does. The main reason is that naturally the humor becomes more stale, not surprisingly. Although I still giggle at that one line when the blue dude is introducing the aliens: "we have...trees" Some of the aliens are oddly familiar, I could swear the one group look like Sensorites. One question though, why would you accept a gift from a "being" called "the adherence of the repeated mean" (maybe coz they had no choice but to accept) lmao maybe that was the joke there. And why does the "face of Beaux" require hot water?? weird.

One thing that sorta troubles me is the resolution is lame...a "system restore switch"? lmao what is that like the old "system restore" program in windows? I mean, he doesn't have to do any last second re- programming just flick a switch?

And the way which the Doctor makes it past the fan thingies. He steps past it after using one of his timelord type trick abilities. That was cool, but if he was able to do that, why not just do it in the first place? He would have saved lives. Very troubling when combined with his refusal to save cassandra...although upon repeated viewings there was little he could do for her anyway, other than maybe pour some of that hot water the "head of beaux" must have been carrying about lmao.

Further review makes me compare it more to Curse of Peladon with all the weird delegates, and the sort of "whodunnit" mystery thing. This has a little bit of that in there. There's definitly a lot of hidden depth to this new series that's pretty enjoyable.

Anyway, I've given it a score of 40.5, as I think "Rose" was a bit better.