Doctor Who

Episode Special

The End of Time (2)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jan 01, 2010 on BBC America

• i dont want to go

i have never been so upset in my life..ever... seeing david go is....( i cant complete that sentence) ... i dont know matt smith but i hate him already ... i hate him, i f**king hate him,,!!!
  • The End of Time (2)

The End of Time (2) was a superb and very entertaining episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of character and plot development as the story continued. It was awesome seeing The Time Lords and watching them plot, plan and enact a final scenario to reinstate themselves. It was intriguing to see the battles, action, drama and intrigue. I liked how The Doctor and Wilfred took on The Master and The Time Lords. It was great to see The Doctor visit his past companions before his time was up. I liked how every thing played out and the ending was great. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Look at the Size of That Thing

3.5
    The story hardly improves from the first part, it continues on its nostalgia fueled predictable plot. They manage to save the entire universe without "losing" a single main character. But that's not my main complaint. ~~~~~~~~~ If there is a planet about 5-10 times the size of the Earth orbiting the sun right outside of the Earth's atmosphere looking up from the surface of Earth will be a very strange sight. First of all the planet would almost entirely obscure the sky (if the planet is on your side of the Earth, like in the End of Time), blocking out most sunlight (it would not appear to be midday, though the planet might reflect light from the sun or give off its own light). Also, objects with that kind of mass tend to have something called a "gravitational pull". I can't say exactly what results it would create on Earth but I know for sure that you wouldn't just be able to walk outside your home and look at it while standing perfectly unharmed in the middle of the street midday. ~~~~~~~~~~~ That's how the whole plot feels for me.
  • " I will miss you so much David "

I like the story, it makes me shivering.. I like the story and I lie the end, he meets everyone and the most important thing is someone very special, I don't now who is she but she's Rose Tyler, but so sad that the doctor changes, I had watched the 11th and the doctor before but the best is still David Tennant, I asked many peoples and their answers is " David Tennant the 10th doctor "

I will miss them so much :

~ David Tennant = 10th doctor

~ Billie Piper = Rose Tyler

~ Catherine Tate = Donna Noble

I will never forget them and their great job !
  • An ending to a well-loved Doctor.

Once upon a time, there was an episode that waved away all credibility by essentially saying 'a wizard did it', which was a shame, because it completely undermined some fantastic performances from John Simm, David Tennant and Freema Agyeman. That's right, I'm talking about 'Last of the Time Lords'. So as I watched part one of The End of Time, you'll forgive me for being a little sceptical, given that the Master was back, and bigger factors of fan-pride were at stake here - DT's final episode, the Master's 'Master race' (literally groaned at that pun, thanks RTD) and the return of the Time Lords - the TIME LORDS, of all people! To say I was worried for an anti-climax is putting it lightly.

Needless worry.

This episode is as close to a perfect ending as I would have wanted it. Poignant, breath-taking and heartbreaking all at the same time.
    Bernard Cribbins is phenomenal as Wilf, the totally human element in the madness that ensues, and ultimately the wonderfully terrifying (and terrified) destroyer of the Tenth Doctor. Im my mind's eye, I wonder if RTD meant him to represent the best of us, that part of all of us that would have saved the scientist in the box, that would have tried to give the Doctor a way out, that would have not left him on his own to die.
    John Simm's turn as the Master (now with added crazy!) is stunning - the mind boggles slightly at how long it must have taken to film all those costume changes. And the look of sheer heartbreak on his face when the Doctor points that gun at him.. oh, that will keep slash writers going for years. Between him and DT, the deep twisted relationship that the Doctor and the Master as enemies-once-friends has been brought to life with magnificent colour and depth for the 21st century. Unforgettable.
    Timothy Dalton, of course, was brilliant. He rarely isn't. But the incarnation of Rassilon, the true Time Lord Victorious, with his presence and his ruthless ambition to stay alive, is nothing short of powerful and alienating. His cold cut-throat attitude to the rest of the universe is all the more horrifying for the fact that the man on the floor at his feet is the man who has shown us time again how merciful he is to the peoples of the universe - the Doctor. Simply stunning showmanship from Dalton.

Of course, Russell T Davis is also leaving the show, and as final episodes go, he has done himself proud. With brilliantly crafted moments such as Wilf and the Doctor's heart-to-heart, the passion with which the Doctor tries to sway the Master, the triumphant return of the Time Lords, and the heartbreaking moment when those tiny four knocks shatter all hope, it would be easy to just string them all together and claim it as an episode. Indeed, if this were in the middle of a series, I would be hard pressed to blame them for doing it. But this is not just any pivotal moment, this is the last great pivotal moment that RTD will pen for this show, and there is hardly any weak spot in sight. Each connecting scene has purpose, from the Master's millions of faces listening for the signal to the Vinvocci's rescue sequence. RTD has often been heralded as a patchy writer, giving us some brilliant moments but also other times when we have been left disappointed (*cough*lastofthetimelords*cough*). This.. is a brilliant moment. Truly one of the most emotive episodes, playing on the most basic fear that we all at some stage share - death.

Finally, dear David Tennant. For three seasons and a total of eight specials, he has been the Doctor, and for a lot people, he always will be. Everyone has a favourite, and he will be an outstanding representative, even in the eyes of the people who called him ferret-like when he was announced as Ecclestone's replacement. But few can deny that this episode, his swansong as the Tenth Doctor, was one of his finest moments. From the fury at what the Master had unleashed, to the gutwrenching choice with the gun, to the sheer agony of the Wilf situation, and his eventual return to form. You have inspired us and delighted us, made us weep with your final words and had us giggling as you licked inanimate objects. A better exit, you could not have given us. Thank you, Doctor.

Addendum: Matt Smith.
    Two minutes of screentime is precious little time at all, but even in the wake of the regeneration, I am interested. You have my rapt attention, sir..
  • A climactic battle against his own species and the end of his incarnation drawing near, the Tenth Doctor faces the prophecy fortold to him in Planet of the Dead as 'he will knock 4 times'.

Saddening and amazing.
    I absolutely loved this incarnation of the Doctor! I grew up watching his adventures from the Parting of Ways- till now. His manic personality and habit of getting mixed up always made me laugh. Unfortunately, David didnlt want to keep going as the Tenth Doctor; a bit saddening, but the show must go on. When he says "I don't want to go." i was thinking "Neither do a lot of fans." I really didn't know what to expect for the Eleventh Doctor, but the scene at the end where he's hysterical and loving his Tardis crashing is absolutely funny.
    I almost cried when i saw him regenerate; could anyone else feeling such a sadness for one of the most beloved incarnations of the doctor? I mean his seventh life is what end the original series
  • My favourite episode

The one thing I believe David Tennant has brought to the Doctor character is a depth of emotion the likes of which, we've never before seen. Doctor Who has seemed to be always about the story more than the man (or time lord, what have you), and about the tech, sci-fi, era, or strange new world-of-the-week. David Tennant changed all that in his run as the Doctor. In the episode "The Girl in the Fireplace", Tennant gave a true sense of how powerfully lonely and sad the Doctor's mission is, a theme explored again in the poignant endings to "Doomsday" and "Last of the Time Lords". In this episode, however, Tennant lays bare the whole range of the Doctor's emotions, his enormous solitude, his desperate yearning for the companionship of another of his kind, even if it is his greatest enemy, his quirky sense of humour, and finally, his rage and eventual acceptance of his transformation. Of all the doctors, Tennant's has been - without a doubt - the most human.
  • I didn't want him to go either.

The drums have sounded, the four knocks heard and after a year of the Doctor knowing that his end was near; His song has finally ended.

One word; Bravo. Russell T. Davis and David Tenant clearly both decided that if they were going to go out, they were going to make one hell of a bang in the process.

This episode, carried by it's somewhat meadiocre 1st part, has delivered a performance which was compelling to the very last scene.

Be it the hilarious (worst ever) rescue of the Doctor by the lovable Wilfred Mott and the two cacti.

The intimidating performance of Timothy Dalton as the President of the Time Lords.

Or even the moment of realisation between father and daughter as they realise that their Donna has just been given quite an exceptional wedding day present.

The timing was perfect, the emotions spot on. It was a ride that you just didn't want to end, knowing all to well what would happen in the final curtain call.

Now, with the mantel passed on to Steven Moffat and Matt Smith, only time will tell if they can take this show on to new heights. I however, am (after seeing a sneak preview of the 11th Doctor in action) quietly confident that they will do just fine.

The ending will likely stay with me however, for quite a while. What better, final words could Mr Tennant have said? Not only to end the reign of the 10th Doctor and the series as we know it, but also to reflect how I'm sure most of us felt as his song finally came to an end.

"I don't want to go."
  • David Tennant's emotional farewell.

The second part of this holiday special had a lot to cover as well as a lot to live up to. It needed to be emotional and epic; and while I was sure it would be my main worry was the charm and humour of the show might be lost under the weight of the show's heavy mythology. Fortunately this wasn't the case.

First it needs to be said that all the main actors in this episode were fantastic. Bernard Cribbins and John Simm were pretty much perfect. As was Timothy Dalton and getting an actor of his calibre was crucial to portray the head of the Time Lords. The level of cheese a sci-fi show like this can end up with meant that a brilliant cast was a must and they all delivered here.

Story wise the Time Lords nicely fit into the story as did their return into the overall mythology of the show. Tying them into the noise in the Master's head worked nicely and made enough sense that it didn't seem tacked on. Unfortunately their story wasn't perfect. While they managed to genuinely feel like the most dangerous enemies the Doctor could face the fact they were defeated quite quickly was disappointing. At the end of the first part I was really hoping that the show's mythology could be completely mixed up and that the Time Lords could return properly, but unfortunately not. That said they weren't bad, and there defeat was epic enough that I didn't feel cheated; well not too much.

So the Master almost played second string to the Lord President but thanks to Simm's great performance and his scenes with the Doctor he was still crucial at the heart of this episode. His over the top maniacal self was brilliant as usual and as cheesy as the world full of Masters was it was a joy to watch him play off himself; surely not an easy thing to do. And he did get a bit of a hero moment too when he attacked the President instead of the Doctor. It was a nice moment and despite my issues with how the Time Lords were treated it was still cool from the Master.

Then there was the action, after all this is an action show. Like I said at the start the humour and charm was still present, and right from the beginning. The Doctor's rescue by the cactus people (forgot their names) was great fun. That during the epic finale the show could still be funny was brilliant. "Worst. Rescue. Ever" was just genius! The main action sequence was the ship flying towards the mansion and it was done very well. It looked great and the number of missiles coming was unlike anything they'd done before. While we knew the Doctor would never crash into the building I had a slight quibble about him jumping out of the ship. How did he survive that fall!? I know a Time Lord's body is stronger than a human, but come on!

So with the main threat wrapped up it came to the moment we were all dreading: the death of David Tennant's Doctor. As emotional as it was I'm not happy that it was the exact same way as Christopher Eccleston died! He absorbed a whole lot of dangerous energy (in this case nuclear rather than the time vortex) to save his companion. It may have been more emotional than being shot by the Master but it still felt cheap. However it was worth it for what came afterwards. The Doctor seeing all his companions for (presumably) one last time did was pure fan service; however as a fan I loved it! The cynic in me wants to argue that it was a bit of a cheap trick to evoke an emotional response, rather than having a genuinely emotional ending, however it worked for me and there was a tear in my eye (a manly tear of course).

The Doctor was clearly bending the rules a bit, by saving people that should've died and crossing his own time line a little. But like he said, it was his reward and it worked brilliantly. The moment that had me closest to tears was actually Jessica Hyne's book signing. That was the cameo I really never even thought of, and it really evoked the emotion from her previous episode (as was the intention) and was a superb moment. As well as David Tennant's goodbye it was also the end of Russell T Davies time on the show and so wrapping up the story for every one of his characters made sense and gave a great feeling of closure. Because of that finishing on Rose was the perfect way to end, giving a full circle feel to Davies version of Doctor Who.

So after having our heartstrings severely played for the last portion of the episode there was one last tug to come: the regeneration itself. You may have noticed I haven't mentioned Tennant's performance throughout this review; it's because I was saving it for here. I mean what can you say? He was perfect. Fantastic, superb, there just aren't enough words to describe him. We know he can do hysterical and charming, and we have seen his emotional range as well, but nothing like this. I had goosebumps throughout as everything he did was mesmerising. And it was capped off by his final words "I don't want to go". That line almost killed me! Combined with the music, the effects and the scene was as good as you get on television or film. I knew the set was getting a redesign for the next series, so destroying the TARDIS worked to give a logical reason to do that, but so much more too. Continuity wise it doesn't make the most sense, this is his third regeneration in the TARDIS since the show was rebooted and it never destroyed it before. However it was needed to punctuate how devastating this ending was. And then in true Who form, emotion turned to comedy in an instant as Matt Smith's Doctor emerged.

So was David Tennant's final episode a success? Hell yes it was! I can't remember the last time I had a TV experience like that. I've watched episodes before knowing it was a character's last, but never like this. And the fact that it didn't need to be kept a secret that he was leaving made the episode so much more than if it had been a surprise at the end. It may not have been perfect, but it's an exit any actor would be proud of. As for the new guy, well it's hard to judge him on 20 seconds at the end of someone else's episode. However he did make me laugh (his response to the size of his nose) so I have hopes that the end of David Tennant and Russell T Davies isn't the end of Doctor Who's quality.
  • Spoilers...like you didn't already know!!!

Oh, that ending for part one was priceless, I kept hearing "emotional" and "Heart Breaking".
    And then the give me that...Laughed a lot!
    Six billion masters!
    Now, I didn't find the first part that emotional and if you can I recommend that you watch these two special episodes back-to-back, that way you don't get a feeling that you have missed a part that you were meant to see!

Now I will say that the scenes in the ship in space dragged a little, but that doesn't matter when it's over.
    The "Stand At Arms" scene was brilliant and I couldn't help but feel bad when the doctor said "I don't want to go" I felt like "That's his final act/words, saying to himself that he doesn't want to go?, but then I realized that it does matter what he does for his final act, it's what he's done already!
    Like "He will knock four times" ,oh, that was the best moment ever for the tenth doctor!
    That moment he chooses that he is worth less then Wilfred and swops places with him even when Wilfred tells him to leave him!
    I loved it...that is the thing that I will always remember!
    I felt that not bring all his friends back until the last minute was a good move that just would have too much of a sidestep
    Great ending and can't wait to see what Matt Smith was got up his sleeve!
  • Great but sad episode

I loved this episode. I think that it sucks that the Tenth Doctor is leaving. Man when he said "I don't want to go" I said "and we don't WANT you to go either......." or something like that anyway. Too bad David had to quit. I don't really like the new guy too much. I loved how the Doctor took Wilfred on as a companion and they saved the Earth and the universe together. Wilf finally fulfilled his dream of traveling to space. I loved the father/son bond those two developed. Hell, even the Master noticed it and both admited that they'd be proud to be related. I also liked how the Doctor didn't comprimise on his morals: he finally (reluctantly) took up a gun, but he didn't use it to kill anyone, he just found another way as he always does. And the Master found a form of redemption there at the end. I doubt we'll see him again: either he used up all of his life-force and died or he was dragged back to Galifrey with the Time Lords and died when the Doctor destroyed it in the past.
  • the end of an era and the beginning of a new one.

this episode brings an end to David Tennant's time on the show and what a way to go out. One problem I did have was how did Donna survive, she doesn't seem to remember so maybe her remembering was averted somehow. I also liked how the last 20 minutes or so were pretty much epilogue not just to this story but to the series so far as a whole. we so the doctor visit his past companions until his inevitable regeneration at the end, the new doctor looks promising though I shall wait until the series returns in the spring before making any further judgment. This era of the show has come to a close but the doctor's adventures are far from over and I hope to see many more great stories come spring.
  • A really fitting send off to the 10th Doctor.

From begining to end this was a pleasure, filled with great script and charecter chemistry. Any worries caused by the first episode are quickly resolved. The story takes an interesting direction and space allowed at the end for the Doctor to see all those he is close to once more before he dies was so worth it.

A special mention has to go to the battle scene in the space ship. It was filmed and designed brilliantly. It created a great sense of excitement and fun.

Wilfs presense was again welcomed. It wouldnt have been the same without him. He provided laughs and tears that were well timed and toned, and he brought the best out in both Tennant and the 10th.

I won't mark it down for this but it was a shame we didn't get a bit more Donna, but for as breif as her appeatances were, Catherine Tate shone.

The one small downside was the sugary speech the Doctor gave to the master about being brilliant. It was brief but was somewhat painful on the ears; its so overdone. This is a small complaint however, I wont mark it down for this either.

This was a busy wo pater that probably bit off more than it could chew. What happened to that women, the Vinvochi, the Nainsmiths? These storylines sort of trickled off to nothing. It wasn't of harm to the episode as you were always kept entertained, and the mysterious women can always become a fun new mystery to use in the coming series.

This episode was worth it if only for the last 15 minutes. Seeing everyone once again was brilliant and the doctor do something nice or life saving (except Rose lol!) was a nice ending that gave smiles and tears all round.

The regenration and Matts brief appearance was not exactly orginal, but still executed brilliantly. He's sold himself as the Doctor in that scene to me, and now im left very excited for the new series!
  • brilliant, emotional and just plain clever. Do not read if you haven't seen the episode yet.

This episode was in one word: Brilliant! I was afraid that the episode might be a bit disappointing because before the episode was aired there was already a big hype about how good it was going to be but it was as good as they promised it would be. The tenth doctor's last word were quite unexpected but well thought of and I think those words echoed the thoughts of the viewers at that point. We didn't want you to go yet either. Him visiting everyone for one last time and doing his last good deeds was a perfect way to end it. It was a proper sendoff for actor David Tennant. I however do feel that some parts of the story weren't properly tied off like, obviously, who the woman was who talked to Wilf or what eventually happened to the Vinvocci but considering the rest I think I can forgive them for that. all in all it was an episode full of emotion and spectacle and now we just have to wait and see how the next doctor will do, but the new trailer is very promising. I can't wait! So hereby we say farewell to David Tennant and good night
  • Brilliant... No better a send off for tennant couldve been done

Well we had shocks and awe and twists and turns. The Master's being everybody was still a source of a chuckle at the start but the episode quickly took on a darker tone that delved into how the last 9 centuries have weighed on the doctor. Bernard Cribbins was a wonderful wilfred as always and Simm's master was a constant source of surprise and his crowning moment of glory when he snaps and attacks rassilon, realising all his pain and madness was all due to the time lords and shockingly has an almost heroic moment. And we get the last 15 minutes where the doctor holds off his regeneration to do one last set of good deeds for his friends from the frist 4 seasons, before a quite tearful regeneration and well excecuted first scene by Matt Smith.
    Really looking forward to Season 5 (or 6 if you count this year as a season)
  • It's a swan song for David Tennant

And [Russell T Davies writer ]what a way for them both to go with great acting from tenant and great writing from Davies .Great to see Wilfred being teleported into the spaceship with the doc Wilfred couldn't believe what he was seeing earth from space he was having an adventure with the doc just like his granddaughter Donna had what an adventure for him to have for him at his age shooting with laser guns in the gunnery at missiles, then there's the master [john SIMMs]what a good baddy he plays I liked the way the doc turned around to the Master and said that he's still bone stupid nice touch, and as for the time lords and the master I don't think that this is the last time we will see them, the way it has been left the next writer could write them back in at some time who knows anything could happen? And well where the four knocks came from was not who we expected it to come from that really was a big surprise! This is a great show and hope it continues to do so with the new ones.
  • admit it... you shed a tear for ten

Wow. After a rather so and so episode last week, this was the send off that David Tennant deserved. It is extremly hard to fault this episode; ultimately the first part lets it down but at least it set up events nicely. This is why I love Doctor Who.
    Gold stars of course for acting. John Simm was superb in this and Bernard Cribbins is so steller its untrue. Timothy Dalton was also very good as... Rassilon (more explanation needed here. Last time we saw old Rassilon he was hanging out in his own tomb. The Time War ressurect him?) But of course the best, oscar acting goes to David Tennant. Here he does it all and man it works. What an emotional scene in the TARDIS, where he says, "I don't want to go." Put it this way... I looked rather foolish in front of my family. And we even got a glimsp of the 11th Doc. So far so good. Matt Smith looks like he's got star potential and I can't wait to see what 2010 brings.
    The story... steller. The return of the Time Lords was brilliant and finally told us why the Doctor had no choice but to kill them all. They'd gone mad. Is the Master dead now? Will the Time Lords find another way to break the lock? No doubt writers will use this as an excuse to bring the Daleks back.
    Brilliant. Emotional. Heartbreaking. Farewelll David Tennant. Nice touch with the cameos too. Jack and Alonso... hmmmm....
  • This is the worst rescue ever! Who didn't laugh when David said those words? A brilliant send-off to such a fine Doctor.

We finally learn a bit more about the Time Lords, and we learn the mystery of the Master's 4 beats in his head as well. It was action packed, the Doctor flying through the air, Wilf letting one of the scienctists out and thus risking his own life.
    We learn exactly what has happened to the Time Lords.
    And finally we see the Doctor not only check up on all his past companions, but also help them all in some way; of course there is one compainion that he could not see, which was Rose, but he still goes to visit her - although not in the way you think.

It was a really good send off, if slightly unusual. I have to say I am sad that David has left, but am also looking forward to Matt Smith, he looks promising.
  • RTD hits his stride as he departs from Doctor Who

The brilliant writer finally came through with a brilliant conclusion to a 2-parter . The knock on writer producer Russel T Davies is his knack for being so dramatic in the 1st half of a story that the 2nd half is often a let down . Not this time , its a grand-slam . The 1st part ends with the arch villain "the Master" having taken over the Earth literally .every human had become a genetic extension of The Master and The Doctor was once again captured by him . This time though more was in the balance The race called the Time Lords which both the Doctor and Master originate had been wiped out in a time war with a race called the Daleks .Both races perished at the hands of the Doctor with only 2 Time Lords surviving . The Time Lords however saw an opportunity to escape the death of the time war by using the Master so they tricked him into getting them and Gallifrey their planet out of the time war . The Master did so with his plan to change all the time lords into himself .He was out foxed by the mightiest Time Lord to ever exist .The creator of time lord technology was brought back to fight the Daleks and he was now president .Rassilon .the consequence of a time lord return would have meant the physical destruction of the entire universe and time itself as that would be the only other way to defeat the Daleks .This as it turns out was why the Doctor had no choice but to take out his own people as well as the Daleks the 1st time . The Master is instantly thwarted as Rassilon played brilliantly by Timothy Dalton uses his glove to destroy the template that changed the Earth people into carbon copies of the Master . now the problem is all in the Doctors court . Stop the return of Gallifrey by killing the Master or by killing Rassilon .The Doctor is put to the test as he never uses a gun . What will he do , and what of the knocking that foretold his death will you should watch to see the stunning conclusion of what may very well be the best Doctor Who ever !
  • Bravo, standing ovation.

I can say many things but two words say it all; Beautifully done. The way they ended it for the Doctor was simply done with such grace, giving the Doctor time to say his own special goodbyes to those he loves. I shed tears, especially when i realized he save them all once again; getting shot, car, and of course lonliness. I must admit when they showed the space bar with Captain Jack siting there i squeeled with joy. The space bar was also a good way to show all the aliens that have ever been on the show.

The Doctor is dead, Long live the Doctor.
  • The Doctor in Distress Written by Russell T. Davies Directed by Euros Lyn

The Doctor: "I don't want to go."

Well that was certainly a week that I thought would never finish up in time. How appropriate that the first episode of 2010 be the one that exited the Tenth Doctor once and for all. The question is, was the wait worth it? For me, it was but this is definitely going to be a dividing episode amongst fandom like its first part was.

Having the first scene with the Time Lords was an interesting move. Sadly, it's not a new race of them but rather ones that are still time locked and on the verge of destruction. Dalton's President or should I say, Rassilon is a particularly nasty fellow who had no problem killing a female Time Lord because she thought death was a better option than pointlessly regenerating in an never ending war.

If you were hoping for an epic appearance by Paul McGann or Christopher Eccleston, some Daleks or maybe much needed Time War flashbacks, then this opening scene is a disappointment. Still, Rassilon's refusal to die does merit the malice that this particular Time Lord has.

Speaking of malice, you'd almost feel sorry for David Tennant being bound and gagged to the same torture chair that John Simm had to endure in the previous episode but what else was The Master going to do with his best enemy? Besides, every now and then, The Doctor could do with a little shutting up.

We've seen The Master victorious before but never have we gotten material that will inspire several amounts of slashy Doctor/Master fanfiction for months to come. Having 6 billion versions of The Master, how to resolve it? Well, not in the first half of the episode anyway. That's better used for trying to add some Donna moments.

I kind of hoped that when The Master realised that Donna had a bit of a metacrisis running through her that it would somehow have an impact in the storytelling. Apart from calling her a freak and trying to capture her, The Master wasn't all that impressed with it. Still, Donna's mind did manage to use some sort of shielding to save her before leaving her unconscious in an alley.

I was also hoping that because of her subdued role in the first part that she would be instrumental within the second one. Again, not so much the case. This was still Wilfred's episode as a main companion and thanks to Addams and Rossiter, they managed to rescue The Doctor and Wilfred and teleport to their own ship.

The Doctor's jokes about them being a bad rescue team and all were funny enough but the one thing I did appreciate was that Rossiter and Addams didn't become a threat in the episode. Their mission had been still the same and they wanted no involvement in any of The Master's hair brained dominion plots. I don't really blame them.

However The Doctor had no choice but to get involved. If he didn't, The Master would've done even more damage than taking over the human race. The unhinged delight he took in being everybody came back later on when he met up with the Time Lords as well. Having Super Master Time Lords would definitely be a disaster in the making for everyone.

Some of the scenes where various people were as The Master weren't as scary as the previous episode. Maybe it's because of the hysterical laughter being kept to a minimum or maybe it was also down to Rassilon's little White Point Star present descending on Earth for contact purposes as well.

Of course The Master would see the return of his people as a good thing. He wasn't there during the last acts of the Time War and if he had, he might not have been so welcoming of them at first. The Doctor dropping in on proceedings however soon made him realise that things would get a lot worse for everyone if they came back into full power.

One thing that Russell didn't learn from "The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End" was that while an epic plan that would see the destruction of everything sounds good on paper, it's actually quite illogical for a villain. Davros wanted to destroy all of reality so that he and his Daleks could rule nothing and the Time Lords have a similarly ludicrous plan of their own.

Wanting to ascend themselves beyond consciousness just seemed daft to me. Timothy Dalton delivered the lines epically but what exactly would it have achieved long term – permanent observation of an empty universe? Hardly the most illuminating of ideas, now is it? No wonder The Doctor was anything but pleased to see his fellow people back.

This thankfully lead to some better scenes. The Doctor's resisted gun play for a while now and here he went back and forth between temptation to shoot The Master or Rassilon and his people. There was a point where I thought he was going to kill The Master, especially given that in the same position, you'd know The Master wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on him.

However The Doctor didn't and instead he used the gun to shut down the Immortality Gate and send the Time Lords all back in the hell they were last in. Not as dramatic as it could've been but there was a good self-sacrifice moment when The Master realised what Rassilon had done to his mind and decided on a little payback for it.

While I like that The Master didn't get shot once again, it is going to make things tricky for Steven Moffat to bring him back. Then again, after this little story and the sublime Doctor/Master moments we were given in both parts, maybe we should wait a little while before seeing the rogue Time Lord again.

As for The Master's little stunt, trust Rassilon to quickly turn everyone back to normal with his little gauntlet. That thing's genius – it kills and it reverts things to their normal status. Oh well, I guess there was never going to be a hard core science way of reversing the process and it's not like it was going to be a big deterrent for the story anyway.

There were bigger issues in this episode and one of them was Wilfred. After the first part of this story aired, online suspicious was ripe that he would be revealed as a Time Lord or The Doctor's father. The Master even made a joke about it when he had the both of them in captivity as well. Even The Doctor admitted that he would be proud if Wilfred had been his father.

That's without a doubt one of my favourite scenes of the episode. Wilfred and The Doctor have a wonderful father/son dynamic despite the latter being so much older and world weary. Wilfred didn't want The Doctor and he also demanded him to take his gun and shoot The Master to save everyone while doing the best he could to protect Donna. What a trooper.

Even when Wilfred was trapped in that booth again, he begged The Doctor to leave him. The Doctor was at the point where he was getting more and more agitated about his imminent death, for a moment I thought he would abandon Wilfred but he did.

David Tennant's best material was during those scenes. Here is an incarnation that's so loved, clearly by the writer as well as the general public that you would get him not wanting to embrace the idea of death. Soaking up all that energy certainly triggered it but the most memorable thing about this regeneration is how quickly it didn't happen. And Wilfred was the one who knocked four times.

The Doctor made a vow to Wilfred that he would see him one last time but not before he went about seeing others first. For all you Martha Jones haters out there, I shrieked with delight when she popped up on screen. While I had hoped that Martha would appear, I did find it suspicious that we didn't have that spoiler leaked early.

Okay, so it's public knowledge for a while that her and Mickey winded up marrying each other, going freelance and battling Sontarans. If it wasn't for The Doctor intervening, Martha would've been dead by the Sontaran in this episode. I'm not sure if her and Mickey as a couple works, although there's a nice vibe between Freema Agyeman and Noel Clarke.

The Luke and Sarah Jane appearance in this episode is a little shorter by comparison. Probably because we got a lot of closure with The Doctor and Sarah Jane in "The Wedding Of Sarah Jane Smith" and also because Sarah Jane seemed more than aware that his little appearance would be the last time she saw him in that incarnation. Out of all the companion appearances, it's arguably the most poignant.

Jack's scene however is thankfully less angst ridden than anything we saw on "Children Of Earth" but are fans going to be happy that The Doctor played matchmaker between Jack and Alonzo Frame? I have a feeling that some of the Ianto purists will hate Russell T. Davies for that one. I think they're kind of cute and if it means seeing Russell Tovey on Torchwood, then I have no objections.

The most interesting appearance though was Joan Redfern's descendant Verity Newman. She published The Journal Of Impossible Things and was surprised when she realised who The Doctor was. As a big fan of "Human Nature"/ "The Family Of Blood", that was a nice surprise and having Jessica Hynes play Verity was a good choice too. Instantly recognisable for casual viewers alike.

Donna's wedding to Shaun could've given one moment where she caught The Doctor's eye but alas, not so much. However I did like that little lottery ticket gift The Doctor managed to acquire and the scenes with Sylvia, Wilfred and Minnie were a hoot and a half. Out of all the companions, Donna and Wilfred are the two I'm going to miss the most.

Rose's appearance in this story could've been a saccharine touch too far but it would've also been extremely odd not to have included her as well. Having The Doctor meet her months before she met Nine was better than seeing her marry his human counterpart and I felt that twinge of nostalgia watching their scenes together.

The Ood singing to The Doctor as we got to the point of regeneration added some nice creepiness to proceedings. It was only natural that Ten was going to regenerate alone in his TARDIS and while I didn't ball my eyes out, David Tennant's last moments as he changed into Matt Smith were certainly something else.

Speaking of Matt Smith, I was actually glad that his Doctor got nearly three minutes of screen time. The TARDIS was burning up like mad and heading for Earth once again. As an introductory scene, it hit the right spot. Things change and while The Doctor now looks like a different man again, he's still with us. I'd rather that the alternative. Welcome aboard, Matt.

Also in "The End Of Time Part 2"

David Tennant, John Simm and Bernard Cribbins were all credited for this episode's titles once again. Matt Smith got the "And Introducing" bit at the end.

The Master (to The Doctor gagged): "Nothing to say, Doctor? What's that? Pardon? Sorry?"

David Tennant must have been glad when his scenes with that chair came to an end. He was definitely in it a lot longer than John Simm was.

Donna (to Wilfred): "My head is getting hotter and hotter."

The Doctor (gag removed, to The Master/Wilfred): "Ah, that's better, but really, did you think I'd leave my best friend without any defence mechanism?"

The Doctor and The Master travelling in the TARDIS together, a series we'll never get. The Master did seem to lose interest in acquiring it as well after The Doctor escaped.

Rossiter: "There's too many buckles and straps."
    Addams: "Just wheel him."
    The Doctor: "No, no, no."

Wilfred: "I think I'm lost."
    The Woman: "And yet, you are found. Events are closing in; the day is almost upon us."

Why didn't RTD reveal who The Woman actually was in this episode? It's obvious that she's a Time Lord that The Doctor recognised – his mother? Romana?

The Doctor: "I'd be proud."
    Wilfred: "If what?"
    The Doctor: "If you were my dad."

The Master: "Keep watching, Doctor. This should be spectacular."

Gallifrey briefly appeared in the sky once again, almost twice the size of Earth. Sylvia's reaction was different than when she saw the twenty six planets in the sky.

Wilfred (to Addams, re The Doctor): "I ain't leaving that man on his own, not today."

Rossiter: "What about The Doctor?"
    Addams: "He said he was dying."

During the bar scenes with Jack and Alonzo, we saw a Hath, Slitheen, Judoon, red and while coloured aliens and an Adipose.

The Doctor: "That's what you opened up above the Earth, hell."
    The Master: "My kind of world."

The Doctor (to Rassilon/Time Lords): "The link is broken. Back into the Time War, Rassilon, back into hell."

This episode clocked in at 72 minutes long, the longest for the new series so far. The Confidential was also appropriately called, "Allons-y".

Wilfred: "I'm sorry. Just leave me."
    The Doctor: "Okay, right then, I will. Because you had to go in there. You had to go in there and get stuck, of course."

Mickey: "I told you to stay behind."
    Martha: "You look like you needed help."

It would've been nice if RTD had never got Martha engaged to Tom only to do the big switch with Mickey. At least they're both happy with each other. She also calls herself Smith-Jones now.

Jack: "So, Alonzo, going my way?"
    Alonzo: "How did you know my name?"
    Jack: "I'm kind of psychic."

The Doctor (re Joan): "Was she happy in the end?"
    Verity: "Yes, yes she was. Were you?"

American viewers will be able to catch this episode at 8.30pm on BBC America from January 2nd.

Nerys: "You made me wear a peach."
    Donna: "Because you are a peach."

The Doctor: "I bet you're gonna have a really great year."
    Rose: "Yeah, see ya."

David Tennant, John Simm and Euros Lyn have provided the commentary for this episode on DVD, which comes out on January 11th.

Ood Sigma: "We will sing to you, Doctor. The universe will sing you to sleep."

The Doctor: "Legs. I've still got legs! (kisses his knee) Good! Arms, hands, ooh, fingers, lots of fingers. (examines his head) Ears, yes, eyes, two, nose... I've had worse. Chin, blimey! Hair... I'm a girl! No! no! I'm not a girl! And, and still not ginger! There's something else, something important. I'm, I'm... crashing! (laughs hysterically) Geronimo!! ."

There was no proper Series Five trailer at the end of this episode. We just got a look at the new titles and were told that it would arrive in Spring. ETA: One appeared on the BBC site and is available on YouTube. Looks brilliant.

"The End Of Time Part 2" was always going to have a difficult task but for the most part, I think it was great way to end both Russell T. Davies and David Tennant's eras on the show. Both will be sadly missed but the show is going nowhere and I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.
  • The Doctor, "I don't want to go" and I certainly didn't want to see him go either.

This episode was absolutely beautiful. Him going through all the past people he's seen and traveled with to say his good bye, even though he never actually said the words everyone knew exactly what he was saying. The action was good, though a little slow in a few spots, but for the majority of the episode I was on the edge of my seat or in tears. Mostly tears there at the end for certain.

I will certainly miss David Tennant. He was a great Doctor, I loved all of his episodes, and I will truly miss seeing him on the show in the future.
  • I was emotionally unprepared.

I should have known better. I was very embarrased by the number of times I found myself practically dry heaving. I really loved this episode in general, but there is just one scene I want to talk about in particular, because I've heard mixed reviews in the fandom of how the Doctor's death was handled, and I want to give my own opinion on the matter. And I'll try not to delve too deep because I hate it when people overanalyze television shows. But I'll be a hypocrite today.

The scene with Wilf trapped in the booth, and the Doctor realizes he has to absorb the radiation to save him:
    -If the Doctor had been killed by the Master or in the process of stopping the Time Lords, this scene wouldn't have the same effect. But his "death" completley encompased everything about who the Doctor is. He is, in a sense, that almost swashbuckling type hero who trounces around saving whole civilizations and planets, only to fly off in the TARDIS and do it all over again. But the thing that really makes him a hero is the fact that sometimes he saves just one person, just because he can, because he doesn't believe in necessary deaths, because he doesn't want to be alone. So, of course, it would be his love for humans that would bring about his end. It would be his absolute adoration for everything they are, their curiosity, their sense of adventure, their arrogance, stupidity, brilliance, bravery, and love for one another--all of those qualities that he himself possesses, no matter which incarnation. There was also an almost tragic irony in his death that both the character and hopefully, the audience realized: that after all the things Ten has done, no matter how many people and worlds he has saved, no matter how many wrongs he has prevented, the cause that he ends up dying for is the one that, however worthwhile, in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter. Because that's who he is. That scene made the episode. It was beautiful, touching, and totally encompassed everything the show and the character is about. I was sobbing like a maniac.

And I rest my case. I hope you all enjoyed it too.
  • I don't want to go!

For me, this episode summed up everything you could ask from Doctor Who. The acting was superb and the script perfect. Seeing David Tennant leave was the saddest thing I have ever seen on television and I hope it remains that way. His name will be remembered among the greats of Doctor Who, with the likes of Tom Baker and Patrick Troughton. My favourite moment during this episode was when both the Doctor and the Master realise that Gallifrey is returning, because of the Whitepoint Star. Apart from that the ending was fantastic, with the Master saving the Doctor's life and disappearing back into the Time War. And of course, the revelation of that strange woman. And the Doctor's passionate rant at Wilf. And his beautiful last line. And... the list could go on for hours! But mark my words, faithful fans- both the Master and the Time Lords have survived worse and they will be back. Keep listening for the sound of drums, calling you to war . . . .
  • The 10th Doctor dies in an emotional way! Doctor Who moves on, and so must we!

The End Of Time: Part Two

Grade: A/A*

With the disappointing part one, I knew this was the last episode featuring David Tennant as the 10th Doctor, so I decided to watch it. It is a huge improvement, and this doctor is not going out without a fight!

Shortly after part 1, with the Master race taken over everyone on Earth, the Doctor is in trouble. He and Wilf gets saved by an alien race and decides to hide out for a while. Meanwhile, the master has a diamond which links to Gallifrey, and uses it to make the Time Lords come to Earth. Armed with Wilf's gun the Doctor rushes back to the Master before the Time Lords do.
    Unfortuantly, he is too slow and the Time Lords come through the portal, taking Gallifrey on top of Earth and consuming time as a result of their existence. With the pressure of either killing the Time Lords or the Master, the Doctor's time is ticking way. He has Wilf's gun out and has to choose between one or the other. In the end, he shoots the link to the portal (the diamond) and this sends the Time Lords back, but the leader says he's taking the Doctor down with him, but the Master saves him, and the Doctor is saved, or so it seems.
    After waking up the Doctor is relieved he has survived, but then he hears the four knocks. It turns out to be Wilf, who has stuck himself in a gate isolation chamber after saving a Scientist from earlier on. Realising his fate, the Doctor angrily shouts at Wilf and wants to do so much more. In the end though, he concludes that maybe he lived too long, so he goes into the gate chamber and releases the button at the cost of self-sacrificing himself with radiation poisoning to release Wilf's door lock.
    The Doctor suffers from pains and seems to get out alive, but the regeneration process has started, so he spends his final hours meeting his previous companions. Shortly after the last one being Rose, in an emotional end we see an Ood saying they are singing this Doctor to his sleep, but the journey never ends.
    The Doctor returns to the TARDIS and is waiting for the moment. Looking upset and with only seconds to go, the Doctor says "I don't want to go!" as his final words and in a angry state regenerates with a burst of fire, setting the TARDIS on flames. He turns into the 11th Doctor Matt Smith and checks his appearance, again being annoyed at not being Ginger. Realising that the TARDIS is falling, the new Doctor goes to the controls in a hyper state shouting "Geronimo!"

So this marks the end of the 10th Doctor's adventures and he's had a long trip indeed. With new writers taking over and the show starting afresh, The End Of Time ends in a rather emotional way for everyone and we can only hope that Matt Smith gives us something fresh for the new Doctor. Doctor Who lives on, and so we must must move on with it as well. 9.5/10
BBC