Doctor Who

The Family of Blood (2)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 02, 2007 on BBC America

• “Family of blood” was, at times, excellent. The action – with the young military students being called to action a year earlier than history intended - was amazing. However there is a "But" coming....

The scenes with the Doctor in his human form having to decide on his future path – Human or Timelord were touching. I have said previously – I do not believe he would ever have become human in the first place - he is not only a Timelord – he is the Timelord. Would he really have given that up? However, this decision is different. Can he now give up something he has always, at some level, desired? To progress, to live, to grow old and ultimately die; a normal human existence. The ending destroyed the episode for me. It was well done; I just did not believe it. If he is anything, the Doctor is compassionate and caring. That’s why he does what he does – when he stumbles across trouble through time and space – does he run and hide? No, he stays and saves the day! Ok, would not be much of a show if he didn’t, but that’s not the point. He has struggled with his conscience so often through the years. He even doubted he had the right to destroy the Daleks. Has he really become so cold? If they were that easy to beat – why was he running so scared at the start of the story? Why was he so scared he chose to become human, so he could hide from them? To be kind, so he didn’t have to kill them? I just do not buy it - sorry.