Doctor Who

The Family of Blood (2)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 02, 2007 on BBC America

• With the Family now aware of the Doctor's hidden identity, the school must defend itself from the coming onslaught. It's soon clear, however, that they need the Doctor back. But can John Smith really give up the life he has?

Possibly the best two-parter since the end of the first year, and at least as good as Army of Ghosts/Doomsday last year. By far one of the best performances by DT that I've seen, which is saying something since he tends to turn in brilliant performances week in and week out. The story with Smith and Joan was just ripe for tragedy and that was lovely, if a bit difficult to watch. The little montage of his life was a nice touch. It reminded me of "Father's Day" when the Doctor noted he'd never have a night like the one where the couple had first met ("2 in the morning. Street corner..."). And Joan's question to him at the end really hits home. Usually one gets the feeling that the TARDIS is finding these places of badness and taking our hero there, but this is one of those times where he really brought it with him. It's part of the darkness of being the Doctor. Fortunately, the Doctor provides us with plenty of levity to more than balance that out.

One more thing I'd like to say about this one was I enjoyed the message about the tragedy of the boys being exposed to war. It's the sad truth of our world that such young men throughout history have seen such brutal things and this episode really drives that home. Maybe even a bit unsubtly. But it's still a good message.