Doctor Who

The Girl in the Fireplace

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM May 06, 2006 on BBC America

• When the Doctor, Rose and Mickey are stuck in the future and the past, the Doctor finds the one thing he never expected: love.

This is one of the best episodes of the new Doctor Who I have seen. The construction of the plot and characters is so complete and unique. The mirroring of the future spaceship and Versailles is beautiful. Even though they only meet so very few times in her perspective, the romance and connection between the Doctor and Reinette is completely believable. Sophia Myles is simply brilliant as Madame de Pompadour. Any other actress would not have had the same perfect chemistry that these two had. The quality of this episode is exceptional. Although my favorite part has to be the music playing over each scene. It is perhaps my favorite score in any television episode I've ever heard. The slow courtship of the Doctor and Reinette is amazing how it spans her lifetime. From their first meeting to the last, it has this great quality of intensity and yet is very sweet as well. I really cried when he comes back to find that she has died in his absence. The only part I do not like is where he has jumped through on the horse, with very little regard to Rose and Mickey back on the ship. I really feel that it is a very disturbing move for the Doctor to make. He really had no plans to get back to them, and they would have been stranded, left to die, in that ship. Excepting that fact, it is truly great. The best scene is as the TARDIS is leaving, and you see the portrait of Madame de Pompadour. And you see the name of the lonely ship. It breaks my heart every time.