Doctor Who

The Girl Who Waited

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Sep 10, 2011 on BBC America

• The Girl Who Waited

The Girl Who Waited was an excellent episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because the story was fun and the dramatic character development was great. I liked the robots who were not very reassuring of their kindness. It was crazy to see how things played out and quite sad on some levels. I certainly look forward to the next adventure!!! !!!!!!

• One of best Doctor Who episodes

One of the best Doctor Who episodes.

This episode simply tears the viewer apart with its impossible moral and emotional dilemma. I don't mind confessing I got a lump in my throat toward the end.

Heartfelt performances by Gillan and Darvil. Thank god the 11th Doctor's role was so sharply limited. His histrionics would have detracted from this wonderfully sensitive paean to Amy and Rory's abiding love.

Contains echoes of the 1980 SF romance "Somewhere in Time," written by Richard Matheson, directed by Jeannot Szwarc, and starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

If you liked "The Girl Who Waited," you'll almost certainly love "Somewhere in Time." Someone uploaded the entire film on YouTube.
  • To Your Other Self

This is probably another one of my favorate episodes of the franchise, it's really dark and isn't fun and games, instead it's more of a tragic romance. What was truely interesting about the episode was that it wasn't focused on the Doctor he's sort of a second string character, but this was a Amy and Rory episode.

I liked the unsettling setting, the quarentine facility reminded me of the white prisons from the sci-fi film "THX-1138", and like in the movie there were the faceless robotic authority figures though instead of silver maniquin faced cops we just see complete white rolling maniquin like robots.

However what was really interesting was the fact that Amy accidently entered into a section where time moves at a different pace, for the section the Doctor and Rory entered it was just mere minutes but for her it's mere days. It sort of is remonicent of the "Star Trek:Deep Space Nine" episode "The Visitor" where Captain Sisko is constantly leaping forward in time which are just mere moments staying the same age while he sees his son Jake grow older than him.

We then of course see what the older Amy looks like and she doesn't dispoint. Despite being older than Rory now she still looks great physically. However she has changed radically in character, it was cool just seeing she's became sort of an modern day Samurai as we see in a few sequences she is using her katana against the handbots. Though what is sad and gives us the feeling of how much Amy has aged, we see she has became a shell of a woman. She's became more Cynical, Bitter, she no longer has that vibrancy and fire inside her anymore.

I really liked the chemestry between both Rory and the older Amy, it was sweet that despite how much time has went by their feelings for each other never changed and aged. That's another thing I feel what love is, depending on how strongly you feel for the other it's possible those feelings can withstand the test of time.

The final minutes were touching and heartwrenching at the same time, as we see Rory is faced with the terrible dilema of having to chose to save one of the versions of Amy. But we see Rory loves Amy all the same young and old and he really was going to try and save both of them despite what the Doctor said about the TARDIS unable to take both of them. But we see a profound moment when the older Amy desides to stay behind, the speach she gives to Rory I'll admit made me cry.

Love can last for all time, no matter what age or how much time goes by.
  • Stunning!

This was just a great watch from start to finish and the best Matt Smith episode yet thanks to some fantastic acting by Karen Gillen and Arthur Darvill. The moment when Rory has to make an extraordinary difficult choice that no-one should ever have to make hit me like a punch in the gut, and I found myself crying in front of my daughters who insisted - as kids do - in announcing the fact to everyone in the room. LOL. And when Rory snarls at the Doctor that he is becoming just like him - having to make impossible and heartbreaking choices - it just made me realise what a brilliant if understated actor Darvill is. He is perfect as Rory. In fact, the chemistry between the three leads is marvellous throughout this episode. Amy's anger toward the Doctor, putting him down as a god playing glibly with people's lives sticks in the memory. The episode deserves no less than a 10 and the reviewer who is asking for the 10's to stop already is frankly wasting their time. I would be dishonest to give this less than full marks.

• Ok ok stop with the 10's already. Yes this was a good episode better than last week.But people the show didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know about Amy and Rory. Ilike that we meetanother Amyand how she becamekind of cold and hard

who wouldn't be after 36 years. I guess I am feeling that Doctor Who this season is getting a formula Rory and Amy runs one way while the Doctor runs another. Really I think the Doctor works best with just one companion too many cooks in the kitchens or in the Doctor case in the TARDIS. I really think this Doctor is being held back by these two.I can't really enjoy these Episode because Amy and Rory and River get in the way some how. I think that's why Russell T Davies years work better. He change Companions a lot making it fresh for the Doctor giving something more to work with than the same old companions year after year.

But I have theory I think the older Amy survivors and get pick up by the Silence and she the one in the astronaut suit and she kills the Doctor. She said that she hates the Doctor and the Doctor did leave her to die. Think back to the impossible astronaut just before the Doctor gets killed he turns to Amy, Rory and River and said he's sorry .What is he sorry about? I think we saw it in this episode but I could be wrong.

• Years from now, when we're watching the adventures of the 15th Doctor, and the greatest Dr. Who episodes of all time are debated expect this story to be one of the first (if not the first) mentioned.

Despiteall the stunning visuals, the slam bang action, the pitch perfect performancesand somebrain bending time travel concepts; this is first and foremost a love story. And like all great love stories, the fear of lossgrips its heart. In a season that has featured some amazing ideas and some capitvating stories, suddenly out of left field comes a stand alone episode that may be the perfect Dr. Who story. I won't bother to reiterate the plot orits manyhighlights. See it yourself. Suffice it to say that in a culmination of the many emotional threads running through the Amy/Rory relationship, with this storywe have witnesseda powerful and heartbreakingexploration of true love.

• How do you review perfection?

I never thought DW could get much better than "Blink", "Turn Left" or "Girl In The Fireplace" (the first tear-jerker episode) and certainly not with Matt Smith who, although one of the best Doctors, plays heavily on his silly side ('bowties are cool', 'fezzes are cool', 'glasses are cool').

Fortunately, though this episode features only the three main characters, apart from the Handbots, the Doctor is almost irrelevant as the story turns around Rory and Amy. When Steven Moffat first introduced Amy Pond he told us she would be the strongest female companion the Doctor had ever had and he was not lying: she is a million light years away from the early ones who would scream at the sight of a bug-eyed monster.

Amy is just magnificent, especially as her older self, and leaves us with the hope of character development in future episodes.

And if you haven't seen it yet get out a few tissues as the ending may bring you to tears. Definitely one of the 'must-haves' in your video collection.

• What a fantastic episode

One of the best in series 6 this episode is about Amy who waited for her boys to rescue. All the characters are really good and we get to see some different sides to some of the characters especially rory. I hope the god complex is as good as this. What a brilliant episode this is

• Great, fantastic episode

Like a woman she complains about waiting 36 years, while forgetting rory had to wait 2000 years while she sat in a box ;p

I really enjoyed this episode, well acted, well written and again moffat explores time travel more than any other dr who season since it started.

• The doctor, amy and rory all arrive at a contimination facility but amy gets sepearated from them and they have to find her again, far better than I thought and an example of the series at it's best.

When I saw the trailer for this episode last week I was expecting your typical doctor who episode with a lot of running around and evil robots. I was pleasently surprised when it turned out to be something much more. Basically due to a mistake by the doctor amy gets stuck in the facility for 35 years, this new amy dosen't look any older for some reason, well not physically older but mentally the 35 years she has spent there has made her very cynical. The doctor comes up with a solution to bring the amy from before those 35 years back to the tardis, but there's one problem, this would erase the other amy and said amy is understandably not very happy about it. I won't go into all the details, but it is a rather sad ending and we see the more ruthless side to the doctor, I won't give away more than that, you'll have to see this gem for yourself. It's much better when a doctor who episode goes for plot rather than for scares.