Doctor Who

The Girl Who Waited

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Sep 10, 2011 on BBC America

• To Your Other Self

This is probably another one of my favorate episodes of the franchise, it's really dark and isn't fun and games, instead it's more of a tragic romance. What was truely interesting about the episode was that it wasn't focused on the Doctor he's sort of a second string character, but this was a Amy and Rory episode.

I liked the unsettling setting, the quarentine facility reminded me of the white prisons from the sci-fi film "THX-1138", and like in the movie there were the faceless robotic authority figures though instead of silver maniquin faced cops we just see complete white rolling maniquin like robots.

However what was really interesting was the fact that Amy accidently entered into a section where time moves at a different pace, for the section the Doctor and Rory entered it was just mere minutes but for her it's mere days. It sort of is remonicent of the "Star Trek:Deep Space Nine" episode "The Visitor" where Captain Sisko is constantly leaping forward in time which are just mere moments staying the same age while he sees his son Jake grow older than him.

We then of course see what the older Amy looks like and she doesn't dispoint. Despite being older than Rory now she still looks great physically. However she has changed radically in character, it was cool just seeing she's became sort of an modern day Samurai as we see in a few sequences she is using her katana against the handbots. Though what is sad and gives us the feeling of how much Amy has aged, we see she has became a shell of a woman. She's became more Cynical, Bitter, she no longer has that vibrancy and fire inside her anymore.

I really liked the chemestry between both Rory and the older Amy, it was sweet that despite how much time has went by their feelings for each other never changed and aged. That's another thing I feel what love is, depending on how strongly you feel for the other it's possible those feelings can withstand the test of time.

The final minutes were touching and heartwrenching at the same time, as we see Rory is faced with the terrible dilema of having to chose to save one of the versions of Amy. But we see Rory loves Amy all the same young and old and he really was going to try and save both of them despite what the Doctor said about the TARDIS unable to take both of them. But we see a profound moment when the older Amy desides to stay behind, the speach she gives to Rory I'll admit made me cry.

Love can last for all time, no matter what age or how much time goes by.