Doctor Who

The God Complex

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Sep 17, 2011 on BBC America

• An excellent episode...

Yes, it probably needs to be said that this had some similar elements to Night Terrors: an alien badly needing something from humans; a creepy house/hotel setting; and Amy needing to be saved yet again. But that's where the points in common end, because this was a far superior episode in every way (as reflected by people's ratings).

First, the comic presence of Little Britain's David Walliams as a cowardly rat-faced alien was priceless, as was his acting. This comic turn by Walliams provided a welcome contrast to the suspense. In fact, the acting of all of the supporting cast was very good.

Second, the Doctor had to work hard in this episode like a manic Sherlock Holmes to figure out what was really going on. The fact that it took him nearly the whole episode to do this was not surprising and not that unwelcome either. It gave us a sense that the Doctor doesn't have all of the answers to hand and needs to struggle through situations, along with the rest of us, before the proverbial light bulb switches on. Yes, this seems very familiar, but it is his signature style/modus operandum, so I am not that bothered with the sense of deja vu that that brings.

Finally, the closing scenes between the Doctor and Amy were moving - a feat which this season's writers appear to have pulled off time and time again - leaving me feeling emotionally satisfied and excited to see the next episode. This season has been my favourite so far.