Doctor Who

The Long Game

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM May 07, 2005 on BBC America

• 'The LONG Game' indeed!

Ach! What a letdown it is to come off of Dalek and enter The Long Game - appropriately named for long indeed it was the first time I sat through it and even longer as I sit through it a second time for this review. I've tried desperately to find nice things to say about this episode but I have yet to come up with any and I really don't think it would be a good waste of my brainpower to continue contemplating it.

Unlike Aliens of London/World War Three, which actually began and ended nicely this mess starts out bad and only gets worse. My fingers were itching for the next video button the moment Adam stumbled out of the TARDIS with an open-mouthed, gormless expression and fainted. Some people just aren't cut out for space-travel and Adam clearly is one of those people.

All in all, this episode felt like a first-draft failed experiment. I give it a 3/10. Do you want to know the best moment? The final 30 seconds when Adam's mum accidentally opens the hatch in his head.
  • The Long Game

The Long Game was a perfect episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of character and plot development. It was intriguing to see the future of the human race in the year 200,000. The story was pretty interesting, the guest cast was phenomenal and the over all production was fascinating. I loved the special effects and space scenes along with The Editor In Chief. I like how The Doctor was found out because of Adam, and The Doctor promptly returns him home. I liked the ending and look forward to the next adventure!!!!!!!!!
  • The political message was great, the story was so so

Devastating "Matrix" and "V for Vendetta" style political allegory about mass indoctrination vs. individual liberation.

The Editor: Is a slave a slave if he doesn't know he's enslaved?

The Doctor: Yes.

The Editor: Create a climate of fear and it's easy to keep the borders closed. It's just a matter of emphasis. The right word in the right broadcast repeated often enough can destabilize an economy, invent an enemy, change a vote.

This is not about "the future." This is about now. This is about us. This is about Bush/Obama's post-9/11 Amerika.

Notice how opposition to the enslavement comes from anarchists? Now how great is that?

The political message was great, the story only so so.
  • Something different...

6.8
    This episode was something different...and I think the pulled it off...but only just. The Jagrefess was a bit of a cheap monster and was a little disappointing but Simon Pegg as The Editor just saved it.

The script was a bit talky-talky and Doctor-lite and Rose-lite. It revolved around Adam and his ONLY trip in the TARDIS. You could see in 'Dalek' he was a possible companion but when he became overhelmed, he didn't handle it well and became abysmal.

Some of the ideas were a bit stretched and far-fetched and acting like humans were quite dim.

A mediocre episode...well by Dr Who standards.
  • Not my favourite episode by a long shot - Adam kind of ruins it for me!

I think I would of enjoyed this Episode more if we didn't have that annoying Adam thing going on as a side plot. I know it's really meant to show that not everyone can handle going through time with the Doctor and being an assistant or a time travelling pal is something that isn't just a thing anyone can do, but he's really annoying and he's so stupid!

I know he is kinda vital to the plot at the end but the general plot wasn't that good so without him there, there would have to be a change of plot which would of been good. My logic never fails me :P

Level 500- anyone else think that lift got them up very quick? wouldn't you be sick? and what a freaking giant space station to have a level 500.

Strange episode.
  • Far into the future in the year 200000, the Doctor finds the 4th Great & Bountiful Human Empire stunted by Satelite 5 for over 91 years. Could be something on the 500th floor noone's ever returned from? And what will Adam do with his first trip in time?

5.5
    Hilarious!
    The Doctor has been teaching Rose how to show off like he does and seems to enjoy making fun of the would-be couple. The stupidity of the people in this story is flabergasting; i mean come on! its a bit obvious that the Editor & Max have been making the human race brainless sheep for the longest time. I mean the 'head door' is an obvuious give away that something's not right. A shame that the only person that DID notice something wrong was the last survivor of the Freedom 15, Suzie Contra Marcrel.
    The Doctor's eviction of Adam due to his misbehavior of taking advantage of Time Travel to improve the past is something any human would have done, but quietly, a bit at a time.
  • There is a nice eerie feeling to this episode even if the main monster remained faceless and a little pointless.

A solid episode, not fantastic though, where they captured an eerie feeling as you try to figure out what was wrong with this world. Simon Pegg is well cast as the editor, playing an oddness that gives him an alien like quality, while at the same time he uses his comedic talent throughout.

The main monster is rarely seen giving it an air of mystery, but it turns out to be really helpless throughout the episode. A faceless enemy working behind the scenes would have worked equally as well as a physical monster and would probably have made it a better because it wouldn't of been such an easy fix. Is it just me or would cooling something off that is in outer space would be the least difficult thing in the world to do?

I felt the Adam storyline was a little distracting. I guess they wanted to get rid of him quickly which begs the question why he joined up in the first place. It is a humorous ending revealing the consequences of actions.
  • Finally! A Russell T. Davies episode that I really enjoyed!

Ok, so I liked "Rose", and "The End of the World" was good. "Aliens of London" and "World War 3" just made me want to cringe at times. Taken as a whole, Mr. Davies episodes have been the weaker ones of this run of Doctor Who, being somewhat lean in the plot department and filled with left-wing political preaching, sexual innuendo and juvenile humor in the form of flatulent aliens or burping trash bins. "The Long Game" avoids most of these pitfalls to one extent or another (apart from the ever-present left-wing politics... one would think we're watching televised NAs here), though it has a few of its own. On the whole, it's pretty good.

Just to knock out the complaints first, so I can get on to the strengths of the episode, let's start with the year: 200,000? I mentioned this in my review of "Bad Wolf" since the setting is the same, but there's no way that I can accept so many similarities to the 21st century would exist 198,000 years in the future. Look at how much societies have changed in 2000 years, or 5000. It's night and day, and yet the year 200,000 looks not too dissimilar than our own time, some technical and architectural details aside. It's absurd.

Leaving that aside, the idea of a society manipulated and made docile by the mass media is nothing new, but it's handled well enough here. The Doctor, Rose and Adam arrive during the time of "the fourth great and bountiful human empire" to find that empire's growth has been stunted by media manipulation. People don't think or question, they just accept what they're spoon-fed on the 24-hour news and information network, broadcast from Satellite Five. Evidently they don't have the sense to turn the TV off.

Naturally, the Doctor smells a rat and starts to sniff out the source of the problem. In the context of this story, unlike others this season, it seems appropriate that he does not himself end the threat, but instead leads Cathica to the truth of events so that she can end it, since his goal once he determines what the problem is, is to get people to think for themselves. Of course, there's likely to be anarchy and chaos for a while if the population is as dependent on media as the episode makes them out to be.

Cathica and Suki were both well-realized characters. The episode's only real "uh-oh, something's wrong here" moments came when Suki steps from the lift into the glorious floor 500 only to find an icy room with dead people. It wasn't hard to guess that this was where she would end up, but the scene still worked well, as did her sudden change into freedom-fighter mode, which I did not expect. The misdirection at the beginning of the episode where the Editor talks about someone being out of place is well executed as well. I (of course) expected that he was talking about the Doctor and Rose rather than Suki, so her singling out as the one out of place and promotion was a nice little twist.

Cathica's desire to avoid trouble and not be involved with the Doctor's little bit of anarchy is nicely realistic, but it's also nice to see that she has enough curiosity or concern to take the elevator up to the 500th floor and see what's there. And it's nice to see that she has the courage to act when the true facts are presented to her. My friend who watched this episode with my wife and me got a good laugh out of the "you should have promoted me years ago" line, and decided that the moral of the story was "always promote your good employees".

I like the villains of this episode. I've not seen Simon Pegg in anything else, but he seems to be enjoying his role in this episode, and is indeed one of the highlights. His character, The Editor, is mean and nasty by virtue of his actions, but he's also amusing and fun to watch. I get the sense that he enjoys his job, though I wonder how he got it, and what happened to the marketplace of ideas when it comes to news, if indeed the Jagrafess and satellite 5 have a monopoly on the media. The Editor says that he works for a consortium of banks, seemingly another swipe at the free market and capitalism by RTD, when ironically the free market and competition of ideas would solve the problem presented us by the episode.

The Jagrafess is a big nasty zit with teeth, with no real motivation. Cool monster, but if I were him, would I hang around in a space station playing network executive? Not likely, but maybe that's what Jagrafesses the universe over like to do.

As for the regulars, temporary and otherwise, they all get a decent amount of screen time. The Doctor acts as troublemaker and motivator, a typical but well-executed role for the character. Rose has less to do than usual, but we get to watch the rather interesting idea of a companion who is along for the ride so he can get something out of it. Adam has some backbone to get that thing installed in his head, if not a lot of common sense. The Doctor's condemnation of him and unceremonious dumping of him back home is rather cruel, especially considering that the Doctor facilitated his actions in the first place by encouraging him to jump in with both feet, and by giving him the unlimited finances that enabled Adam to pay for his operation. The ending of the episode leaves a sour taste in my mouth since Adam in no way deserved quite so harsh a punishment. Hopefully we'll see the situation remedied somewhere down the line.

Overall: a nice self-contained episode where nothing terribly cringe-worthy happens. The message of the episode does not overwhelm the plot and the guest actors are all excellent. 8 out of 10.
  • The Doctor, Rose and Adam land on Satellite Five and realise someone is playing a long game! Written by; Russel T Davies Directed by; Brian Grant

The Doctor, Rose and Adam land in the year 200,000 on Satellite Five. The TARDIS crew find out the satellite is used for selling, publishing and finding the news. They go to a demonstration done by Suki and Cathica and relise they swap infomation by technology in thier head which is said to be 'backword Technology'. Suki then gets promoted to floor 500 where, supposedly, the walls are made of gold! As she leaves in the lift Adam tells Rose he needs time to acclimatise and goes off on his own. Rose and The Doctor then do some investigating to find out why the satellite is so hot but Cathica is not so helpful. Meanwhile Suki has arrived at floor five hundred and finds skeletons. She then meets the Editor who tells her she knows she is spying on the satellite. Suki is then shown the Jagrafess and it kills her. Adam starts to resurch the history of the micro processor chip on a computer but it shut off and he needs a chip (the technology in the peoples head) to read one. He then gets one put in. The Doctor and Rose find out the heat is being diverted to the rest of the Satellite from Floor 500 and go up to investigate! Up there they also meet the Editor and get changed up. Adam then goes and relays news into his head but it is reversed and all his knowledge is going to the Editor who now wants the TARDIS. The Editor the shows them the Jagrafess who is making the human race get degenrate. Cathica then gets the courage to go to floor five hundred and finds out the Jagrafess doesn't live in heat. She then starts using the technology in her head to divert the heat to floor five hundred and stops Adam's transmission. The Doctor and Rose escape, thank Cathica and then leave in the TARDIS with Adam. They go to his house and chuck him off the TARDIS because he was only in it for him self. Best Actor/ Actress Christopher Eccleston
  • ermmm

5.3
    This episode had some nice touches but struggled to really get above your typical sci-fi fodder. Mind control is hardly something which has not been used before and there was not much in "The Long Game" which was new and dazzlingly different. Even the title is a bit of a misnomer and does not suggest anything. This is a pity because the idea of journalism and the editor is something which could have provided a lot of possibilities and investigated further. While understandably there are limits in 45 minutes, Dalek certainly did have an epic feel to it. The Long Game felt a bit, well, long and drawn out!

I thought the opening scene was good as Adam collapses in shock at realising he is in the future and looking out upon the world.

At the start, Rose seemed to take everything in her stride and almost took on the Doctor's role as the investigation began. Simon Clegg's portrayal of The Editor was suitably evil but the silly monster was not all that impressive up above. The most thrilling part of the programme was Adam getting the brain surgery and taking in all the information as The Editor discovers who the Doctor really is.

It was a good ending and I thought it was very good for the Doctor to take Adam back home and show him the damage he had done. It was also very neat to have his Mum walk in and snap her fingers. I felt Adam did not offer a great deal in the episode, and it may have been better to have a sinister companion like Turlough.

Throwing the Doctor into a human habitat certainly seems to work very well at this point but tonight's show lagged somewhat. End of the World, which used the same set, was many years ahead, and also miles better than The Long Game. Some more aliens in the space station would have spruced things up a bit.

We have now reached the half way stage with the brand new series of Doctor Who and some of it has been absolutely excellent with the first three episodes and Dalek being particularly impressive.

With next week's episode harking back to Rose's past and changing time, I have a strong feeling that we are set for another rollercoaster ride. The Long Game was fun in places, with some great quips from the Doctor, while Rose also seemed quite settled in her role, but that all looks to change next week.

I felt the journalism idea could have been better handled and, being a journalist myself, I would have loved to write last night's episode! I didn't even think that The Long Game was even scary in places. The old skeletons may have been slightly fearsome but it was hardly anything shocking.

I hope there is much more of the terror element in subsequent weeks. The absence of the Tardis interior in recent episodes has been a bit disappointing but that is a minor gripe!

The Long Game was run of the mill sci-fi and did not have the fast cutting edge of some of the best Who episodes so far in the series. The pace was not so great, and the budget meant that the same set had to be used as in The End of the World. It had the makings of a good story but just did not deliver.
  • Here is the news from Satellite 5...

It’s quite difficult to summarise what I think about ‘The Long Game’. On first viewing, I dismissed it as a pure filler but, having watched it again, there’s more to it than that. The Doctor, Rose and Adam land on Satellite 5, a space-station broadcasting over six hundred channels of news across the Fourth Great and Bountiful Human Empire. However, all is not as it seems. When the Doctor sees how the news is gathered, he believes the technology is ‘wrong’. When he and the team investigate the station, they find a sinister force behind the scenes controlling and manipulating events. This leads the Doctor and Rose to the fabled Floor 500 and a meeting with the Editor. Meanwhile, new TARDIS recruit Adam learns a valuable lesson about meddling with time. Some interesting points about the media and its manipulation are made in a fun and thought-provoking episode, which has moments of genius, but ultimately comes up as less than the sum of its parts.

Performances again are good. Simon Pegg (Spaced, Shaun Of The Dead) turns in a fun performance as The Editor, occasionally lapsing into pantomime villain but more often than not played with a subtly sinister edge. There is a lightness to the performance but nonetheless you know this is a man who you do not cross. Anna Maxwell-Martin has a nice small role as the doomed Suki, who in reality is an anarchist freedom fighter. Christine Adams is also strong as journalist Cathica, whose change from mindless drone accepting what she is told to ‘an employee with an idea’ is one of the more successful elements to the script. Suki’s macabre discovery of what’s on Floor 500 and the realization of that set as a wintry dark place (not with walls of gold) make for an atmospheric and gripping sequence. The scene where Cathica gathers news via the portal in her head is also visually impressive.

Eccleston and Piper are again good, nothing too special in their performances, but solid and entertaining. Bruno Langley is given his moment to shine in this episode and doesn’t waste it: whilst Adam fools around with time and gets called on it by the Doctor, there isn’t any malice intended. There’s also a nice moment between him and Rose, where Adam realises that Rose only has eyes for the Doctor. The slightly less good bits: the idea of the Jagrafess, a huge screaming alien blob that’s stuck to the ceiling, being the controlling agent of humanity just didn’t work. It would have been much better had it just been the Editor. There’s a lot of exposition done through conversation, which is a little bit much, and- whilst funny- Adam getting the trapdoor in his head was slightly unnecessary. All in all, a solid episode, but one of the more average ones of the series.
  • The Doctor, Rose and Adam discover someone's been playing The Long Game...

6.8
    "You have been lying to the people..."

Basic Plot
    With new and quite rubbish companion Adam, Rose and the Doctor go to space station Satellite Five in the far future, where the sinister Editor is taking orders from a lump of meat in the ceiling.

Simon Pegg is brilliant as The Editor, and there are some good ideas, but ultimately this episode doesn't amount to much, and spending a lot of the episode on Adam, when he's just chucked out at the end seems a bit of a waste.
  • Not bad, but not good either, but you can't have wining episode every week all season long. This is what happen with this episode.

6.2
    Not bad, but not good either, but you can't have wining episode every week all season long. This is what happen with this episode. One has to consider what aired before it, an episode the features the return of the Daleks, and any type of episodes that have them as a plot point are rarely bad episode, which it wasn’t. But, that is taking me away from the point. The point here, is the feelings that I had about this episode, which I thought wasn’t a bad episode, but it wasn’t a good either.

The biggest problem that I had with this episode is the allegory that was put into this episode, which was the effect, either it be positive or negative, that had big mass media outlets have on the general population, that it is a very powerful thing to have and is a great reasonably to have. Now, I don’t mind allegories in the shows that I watch, in fact I like then, because they are like a mystery that one has to figure out, but with this episode I have to make an expectation to that personal rule that I have with myself. I felt like that his message was forced down my throat, something that I don't like have happen to me, especially when I watch something that is meant to entertain myself. It seems to me that Davis, does not like mass media outlets one bit. Another supporting element to this decision that I can up is the look that the Editor looked like, played by Simon Pegg, he look a little bit like Ten Tuner, the owner of a Time Waner, which includes CNN as one of the stations that is apart of its ownership.

The other storyline, is the additions of Adam who join them after the events that happen in “Dalek” and just what happen to Rose in “The End of the World” his reaction to everything is again is quite believable, it stun amazement at what he sees. But unlike Rose, who accepted this is a journey that the type that can only happen once in a lifetime, and she should enjoy what she experiences. Those experiences are the only thing that she should take with her whenever she choices to go back to her own time. Adam, on the other hand decided that he should take some of the technology back with him in his own time, once again this is something that some people would do if present with the chance. A move that threaded the lives, of Rose, the Doctor, and the human race as well. Resulted him being dumped off in his own time and was the right choice on the part of the Doctor.

While, Adam’s motives was based on a grain of decently, there is nothing wrong wanting to change the world, its how he went on doing it that was all wrong. But, one can’t solely blame Adam for doing this, because the Doctor told him to get himself involved with what he is seeing, eat the food, talk to the people, and maybe even get in trouble, for it’s the best way to experience what is seeing. The Doctor should of used a little bit of a discretion when telling him that, because it was like hading Adam a loaded gun and one has to be careful when doing that because one would have no clue where the person will point it.

In the end, this episode was a decent one, but one has to take in account of where it was place and if it was put in another part of the season, it might have been a better episode.
  • One of the weaker ones.

Well as much as this story was great, it did fall behind a few others. The story was a bit weird and hard to follow at some points.

But the story did have some great points too. The head-open part was thrilling, as well as Adam’s reaction to it. And then we find out something’s wrong. The Editor keeps saying something’s wrong, someone shouldn’t be there and all the while we think it’s the Doctor. But it’s not, it’s Suki, otherwise known as Eva Saint Julienne – last surviving member of the Freedom 15. I loved that twist as it was something I never would have expected since the character of Suki was so sweet and innocent.

And speaking of characters, The Editor was great, his character brought life to the story and was wonderfully played by Simon Pegg. As for Adam I think his character was a bit of a let-down after a great performance in “Dalek”. One of his highlights was the moment he thre up an ice cube… and finally The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxarodenfoe – otherwise known as Max. A great monster but not put to proper use in this episode. It didn’t have much screentime but the main idea was fantastic.

So overall, this was an OK episode but not one of the best.
  • Game On Written by Russell T Davies Directed by Brian Grant

“Mr Writer, why don’t tell it like it always is? So you can go on home” – “Mr Writer” by the Stereophonics.

If there’s one thing I’m beginning to realise about the new Doctor Who, it’s the fact that this show likes to be able to push certain social and political issues in a way that akin to the likes of Buffy (Whedon’s fun metaphorical slant) and also rather confrontational (think HBO style). If last week’s stunner of an episode played with bigotry and intolerance, then this hour’s take on the cutthroat world of media, is, well rather unique.

Okay, to be honest it’s hardly State Of Play but points to Russell for showing ambition in this series, even if his fifth scripted episode out of seven is easily his weakest so far to date. This isn’t a personal favourite of mine.

The Doctor, Rose and new boy Adam land on the mysterious Satellite Five in the year 200,000 in a light and breezy opening sequence which kind of indicated a less serious tone than last week. We’re soon introduced to a world where no aliens are on board and the workers in question distribute the news in how they see fit, thanks to a chip and spike upgrade in their heads. They are literally computers so to speak but do not retain the mass amount of knowledge they package. The two workers who we meet and are only explored are Cathica and Suki, both women on the opposite side of the spectrum in the principals of Satellite Five.

For when she gets promoted to Floor 500, we soon learn that Suki is really an anarchist out to find out about Satellite Five’s real operations. No surprise then to learn that this media distributing factory is really corrupt and lead by The Editor (played nearly to perfection by Simon Pegg) and a disgusting roof creature named the Jagrafess, Suki’s attempts of putting things right only end up with her being made into a mindless operator. Hardly the promotion of a lifetime, is it? This episode in itself is all about how destructive and beneficial certain knowledge can be but the pacing in a lot of places however is either sloppy or rather dull to be honest.

With Suki almost too quickly dispatched the focus on Cathica is thankfully a little more rewarding. At first she bored me senseless with her constant whining about not breaking protocol and her reluctance to ask questions or even be the tiniest bit curious about Satellite Five is uncharacteristic for a journalist. That got emphasised during the scene with The Doctor and Rose attempting to override the codes to get up to Floor 500. It’s a bloody good job then they did a 360 with Cathica shortly afterwards.

Relegating The Doctor and Rose from The Editor and Jagrafess until the final act should’ve been advantageous to their face off but sadly the one we got on display lacked bite. Some sarcasm between The Editor and The Doctor is amusing but over too quickly and a rather simplistic argument between them about slavery, though funny confused me a bit. For an episode that looked to be striving to be debatable, a deeper set of theories from The Doctor on freedom and choice would’ve been interesting. It also didn’t do this episode any favours by having the Jagrafess easily dispatched, turning The Editor into a wuss at the end and having Cathica saving the day instead of The Doctor and Rose.

However this episode wasn’t an entire failure as Adam’s quest for knowledge took a surprising turn. After Rose’s encouragement of phoning home, Adam ended getting the same upload as Satellite Five employees (watch out for an amusing appearance from Tamsin Gregg as a nurse) and nearly cost The Doctor and Rose their lives. I wish I could’ve sympathised with the guy a little more but in light of the danger he caused and the experiences he’s had of his own, I think The Doctor forcing him to live a normal life back home was a fair punishment. It’s just a shame we only had him for two episodes. Even Rose didn’t put up much of an argument to get The Doctor to change his mind.

Not that Adam’s disownment is a total shocker. After all, The Doctor and Rose spent a large amount of time together in this episode without him and again the strength of their relationship was explored during scene with both Cathica and Floor 500. Adam also went out of his way to note that even he couldn’t in between them too. I wonder if part of his quest to be much smarter had been down to jealousy or trying to be an intellectual equal to The Doctor? I guess we won’t be finding anytime soon.

Also in “The Long Game”

Satellite Five news: 200 dead on Venus, the Face of Bo is pregnant and one of the TV stations was called “Bad Wolf”. I’m beginning to wonder that “Bad Wolf” might have something to Rose and not The Doctor as such.

Doctor (re Adam): “He’s your boyfriend”
    Rose: “Not anymore”.

On Satellite Five you were either classed as ladies, gentlemen, multi-sex, undecided and robot.

Suki: “You’re my lucky charm”
    Doctor: “I’ll hug anyone”.

Suki’s lies were that she was born on the 199/9/89; she was from the Independent Republic of Morocco and had joined Satellite Five for financial reasons. The truth is her is name is Eve San Julian, a self declared anarchist and last survivor of Freedom 15.

Cathica: “You’re not management, are you?”
    Doctor: “At last, she’s clever”.

Reasons for no aliens on Satellite Five were due to emigration threats and the price of space walk doubling. Cathica didn’t go into detail over the minor reasons.

Adam: “I’m going to be sick”
    Nurse: “Special offer, we installed a vomit-o-matic at the same time”.

Type 1 of the fancy headwear has a 100 credits and no scarring while Type 2 has full intro spike and 10,000 credits. Adam chose the latter.

The Editor: “I was hoping for a philosophical debate. Is that all I’m gonna get, yes?”
    Doctor: “Yes”.

How much knowledge did The Doctor give to Adam? The Editor acquired quite a lot of it, didn’t he?

Cathica (to The Editor): “Oh no you don’t. You should’ve promoted me years back”.

Adam: “But I want to come with you”
    Doctor: “I only take the best, I’ve got Rose”.

Adam’s been away from home for six months. Did he tell his parents the truth or fob them off with a travelling story?

With such a phenomenal episode last week, I was kind of expecting “The Long Game” not to be as impressive but there was a lot of stuff that didn’t just gel with me. We got way too much plodding around the place during certain and the amount of techno babble was kind of excessive. An interesting idea, deterred by disappointing execution making this the weakest episode of the season.

• This episode was good, but one of the worst ones in series one.

7.7
    First the good: Simon Pegg! One of Britain’s best comic actors in a villainous role. I expected him to be funny and he didn’t disappoint. He really got to let loose at the end of the episode.

It was also nice to have a second companion on board—especially a male companion. Many of us guys wish to go along for the ride with the doctor can’t always relate to the female companion. It was fun seeing Adam do what guys want to do—play with technology, exploit it, and get rich off it!

And now the bad. The plot holes and continuity errors in this one are just too big to excuse. There were also too many things used as plot devices.
    • How does Rose’s phone know to call 2012 for Adam and not 2005? Though it’s possible that Adam actually called 2005 and left a message—I’d doubt they still be using that same answering machine for seven years. And an answering machine in 2012? Most folks stopped using those by 2000 replaced with voicemail. But it sure looked great when it blew up!
    • The Doctor quickly surmised that Adam was a greedy little bugger who implanted himself with the chip. But why? Almost every companion has been inadvertently assimilated to be like the locals because they (computer, out-of-date system, overseers) just assumed that the companion was a local who had not been processed yet.
    • The Doctor lands the Tardis right in Adam’s living room. When (or why) did Adam tell the Doctor where he lived? This leads to the next huge error…
    • Twice this season The Doctor has landed the TARDIS in locations different than expected (see Unquiet Dead & Aliens of London), yet not only does The Doctor land the TARDIS at the right time and city, but inside Adam’s exact address.
    • Also, excellent guess that Adam left messages on the answering machine, but again how did The Doctor know. The Doctor wasn’t around when Rose gave Adam her mobile. But wasn’t there also a great chance that Adam actually spoke with someone as well.
    • It’s a shame that we only got Adam as a companion for one episode. What’s great about having multiple companions is that they always split up which allows us to see more of the locals. While The Doctor is embroiled in some sort of drama, the “loose” companion is often enjoying himself with the locals (though usually ends up not realizing he’s gotten himself caught in some kind of local ritual he didn’t know he shouldn’t have partaken). By kicking Adam out so quickly, his appearance seems to be pointless.
    • Why is there a secondary transmittal room with skeletons? It’s clear that the Editor can just remove useless bodies. Though it was very convenient for Cathica to use that room instead of having to get back on the elevator and go down over 300 floors.

Nonetheless, it is watchable and can be enjoyed if you forgive the blatant mistakes.
  • The Doctor, Rose and Adam arrive on sattelite 5 in the year 200,000. Once there they try to find out what really happens to its employees when they are promoted to floor 500.

I think this was a very good episode. Its seems to have to storylines in one. The one where he Doctor and Rose investigate floor 500 and find the jagrafess and the one where we see Adam has thedevious little worm he is has he trys to get thousands of years worth of knowledge. Plus we see more feeling between Rose and the Doctor at the end has Adam is chucked out off the TARDIS.It is a great episode which doesnt want to be missed.
  • Guess it really is "better with two."

7.2
    Introducing Adam as a second companion, while giving Rose the opportunity to act in a more "senior" role on this makeshift "team" would've worked better, had they any intention of keeping Adam around. From the beginning, the character seems doomed to failure: fainting on the observation deck, wandering away from the group, having his selfish surgery almost get the other two killed and finally being unceremoniously dropped back at home -- having proved he was only good at helping himself.

He actually seemed very similar to Mickey, only "smarter." But it was difficult to want to get to know the character when he was so obviously out of place. Which begs the question of why they needed him at all. The Doctor's attachment to Rose had been pretty well solidified in "Dalek." Did they need an inept companion to show how invaluable Rose was?

Despite Adam's apparent uselessness, the series once again proved its flair for social commentary. The news being controlled through a giant, unfeeling "monster" was a pretty effective metaphor for the large corporations controlling news organizations today. Even so, it felt like the two stories (Adam and Satellite 5) were thrown together -- and the result was about as cohesive as Adam's presence on the TARDIS turned out to be.
  • I found it enjoyable, but it did have some severe problems, no question about that.

6.9
    I found it enjoyable, but it did have some severe problems, no question about that. My first thought when I saw floor 500 with all that ice was that we would be graced with some new Ice Warrior action. That would have rocked. But unfortunately, we got a new alien with viscious teeth, but not much else. I dunno about you, but to me this plot line just begged to have the Ice Warriors instead.

But that's not the major problem I have. They've crammed too much into the story. This actually probably would have worked better as a fully fleshed out 6 parter, lol. But I bet when I watch it more times, it will be a lot better because all the stuff they crammed in will digest better.

But that's not the major problem I have. The biggest thing to me was the Doctor kicking Adam off the Tardis just because he was trying to experiment and explore. I mean, how many companions have tried to do the same exact thing and nearly end up screwing everything up?? He didn't kick any of them off. Tegan comes to mind (recall Four to Doomsday). Adric comes to mind (recall Kinda). The Brigadier (like practically every Pertwee story). I mean, seriously. It was rather upsetting to see the Doctor act in such a way toward a companion (although it has to be said it reminded me of the way he treated Barbara and Ian). And the same can be said about the trailer for next week as well with his attitude toward Rose wanting to save her dad. It's hypocritical of the Doctor to kick someone off for experimenting and exploring when he does the same thing, sometimes to his own detriment. It was like they used the character of Adam as a temporary companion just as a plot device for this story. And that's rather unfortunate. It should also be pointed out the Doctor is the very person who gave Adam the means to get the brain implant in the first place. The Doctor gave him a money credit bar thingy with unlimited credit. Duh?? If it hadn't been for that, there would have been no issue because Adam wouldn't have been involved. To me Adam didn't do anything wrong. We all would likely have done the same thing. Also, the thing with the answering machine, I figured he did that because he knew that he wouldn't be able to retain any of the information in his brain like the Doctor said. So he was trying to save it for later, a perfectly natural response (granted the result would have been to alter time...but heck the Doctor does that in every story, so what!?) Adam was doing no more than what the Doctor would ordinarily do. Yet he gets kicked off. Totally unjust.

And that line that the Editor knows everything about the Doctor because he read Adam's mind...Uh, I don't think so, Adam was only around for the last story. He hardly knows everything about the Doctor. So really I don't know what the Doctor was so uptight about. Plus, I'm sure they could have invented another discontinuity with the Tardis doors to block entry of the Jagrafess to the Tardis. Like that it might only allow entry to those who's DNA it can identify as having previously been inside. (which could jive with the Doctor and Susan's statements in the first Dalek story).

I liked the feel that the story had when Adam split off from the Doctor and Rose. It had a classic multiple companion Dr. Who feel to it. With 2 or 3 different things happening at one time. That's always cool.

I liked the sort of Matrix idea that it had, humanity in slavery. And that it was a slavery that was unknown to most of us. And that the few who managed to figure it out were hunted down and destroyed/used. Essentially the same plot as the Matrix movies really.

I liked the bits of sorta inside humor. For instance, the Face of Boe!!!! lmao, and he was on the "bad wolf channel" ha! nice one. Not to mention the Face of Boe was pregnant...erm...what!?(and also not to mention that he would be like 4.5 billion years old in end of the world). Another example is the line about the man who triggers his brain implant thingy by whistling "Oh Danny Boy" ha! Also the frozen puke thing, that was great, and Adam's remark about being a student from Mars University, lol, that was good. I rather liked the Editor guy too. Thought he'd make a pretty good Doctor actually.

The build up to the revelation of the Jagrafess is pretty good. But the realization is a total let down. Which is not unlike regular old WHO, a nice build up followed by a visual let down, alien in the rubber suit sort of thing. Like I said before, they'd have been better off using the Ice Warriors instead of the Jagrafess.

Another problem with the story is, how does everyone who walks into the editor's room miss the Jagrafess hanging from the ceiling until the editor points it out? I mean, how do you miss a giant oozing, slimy mouth with teeth hanging from the ceiling? Again, more along the lines of regular old WHO.

Yet another gaff is apparent when Suki comes on floor 500. It's obviously very cold, but she's in a light blouse and doesn't even shiver, or rub her arms. Uh?

The Doctor has a terrible know-it-all attitude that I can't stand in this story, more along the McCoy lines than anything else. In this particular story it comes across as a lame plot device because they don't have time to waste plot on the Doctor figuring things out as they happen. Instead, he knows exactly what's going on when Cathica uses the spike transmitter news stream thingy. He also somehow knows that Adam left messages on the answering machine.

Altogether, it was sorta blah, with probably more negatives than postivies. I gave it a 34.5. It was still enjoyable though. Aliens of London really remains the only episode I didn't enjoy.