Doctor Who

The Name of the Doctor

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM May 18, 2013 on BBC America

• epic end for a disappointing season

Well, we all suspected Moffat would not really coin a name for the Doctor ( unless he wanted hordes of fans to hunt him with pitchforks ) . Sure, having River say it without us hearing it is a bit of a cheat, but the implications of the last scenes are quite interesting. The Doctor now has a plausible psychological reason to keep his name secret, since he associates it with something shameful he did ( or will do, since time-travel is such a tricky thing ) while wearing John Hurt's face, and "the Doctor" is who he wants to be.

I still don't like Clara and find her too bland to fill the Ponds' shoes yet, but her trip through the Doctor's timeline was well done - actually, it's too bad we didn't witness more than little snippets of Simeon attacking the Doctor and Clara saving him ( I know some of the actors are dead, but you could have a full scene with either Eleven of Ten ! ). I hope she'll evolve a bit in the future, at least she's got something unique now, being the only full-time Companion to know the Doctor's name : I wonder how it will affect her ...

Oh, and Vastra, Jenny and Strax ! They're always a delight, even in mediocre episodes !

Of course, River steals the show, as she always does, and that was oddly satisfying to have her timeline finally move past the Library episodes. I know some ( many ? ) people don't like River, and it's true she's been overexposed during season 6, but it's hard denying Kingston's got great chemistry with Matt Smith, even if they only interact for one scene.

The sight of a mammoth-sized TARDIS was creepily beautiful, wasn't it ?

The only really disappointing thing I can think of is the villains. These "Whisper men" have only ill-defined motives and abilities right now : the next Weeping angels, or Silence, they aren't.
BBC